Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better 20:55 - Oct 10 with 22784 viewsDolly2.0

I'm sure it is (no pesticides, fresher etc.) but I imagine some of it is in the mind. It is quite a satisfying feeling eating something you've grown yourself.

Had lettuce leaves, spinach leaves and a radish plant from the garden with my dinner tonight. The lettuce leaves, especially, were delicious! Probably helped that they're the only things I didn't cook.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:22 - Oct 11 with 5513 viewsjeera

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:20 - Oct 11 by Vic

Try it, it would s propose upmyour roast no end. Oh, and make sure you have the oven hot enough - 160' for 2 hours (from a cold oven). Hmmmm!

I use sunflower if I'm being healthy.

But don't kid yourselves, duck fat is the best.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:22 - Oct 11 with 5512 viewsSpruceMoose

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:20 - Oct 11 by Vic

Try it, it would s propose upmyour roast no end. Oh, and make sure you have the oven hot enough - 160' for 2 hours (from a cold oven). Hmmmm!

I don't know if they have potatoes where I live.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:29 - Oct 11 with 5503 viewsjimsymBLUE

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:22 - Oct 11 by jeera

Yeah, or rapeseed's pretty healthy and doesn't burn like olive oil which I would avoid when roasting as turns very bitter when heated to its smoking point.
Duck fat for me too though...in moderation obs!!

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:41 - Oct 11 with 5488 viewsWestover

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 07:56 - Oct 11 by jeera

Like loose soil too don't they? Like parsnips for obvious reasons.

I've had more success when mixing plenty of sharp sand into the soil when growing each of those. That was easy enough though tbf, as I grew them in deep containers rather than the ground.

That's how I grow mine and growing in large pots no trouble with carrot root fly
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:06 - Oct 11 with 5475 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 18:03 - Oct 11 by jeera

Tried mooli? Long Asian white radish.

Sorry if that sounds patronising. You may already use it knowingly.

Don't think I have, but I'm aware of it. Much different in taste to English radish?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:08 - Oct 11 with 5475 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 18:03 - Oct 11 by chicoazul

Where to start with this. Cooked radish in a stir-fry, my god.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 18:04]

Where to start? Oh it's really easy. You get a wok and put some oil in it...

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:10 - Oct 11 with 5473 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 18:04 - Oct 11 by SpruceMoose

"Fried in walnut oil and Lurpak".

Sounds a bit unhealthy...

Walnut oil is very good for you. Excellent for the brain. My postings on TWTD are clear evidence of that...

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:13 - Oct 11 with 5468 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:55 - Oct 11 by jimsymBLUE

Counteract the lovely roast potato induced congestive heart failure by chucking in a few bulbs of garlic into the mix, not much better than gooey caramelised garlic to spread on your roasties. Incredibly easy to grow too, first time this year...loads hanging in the shed.

I love garlic. That'll have to be next on my list to grow. What time of year do you plant?

Login to get fewer ads

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:15 - Oct 11 with 5464 viewsBackToRussia

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:13 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

I love garlic. That'll have to be next on my list to grow. What time of year do you plant?

Late Autumn :)

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:17 - Oct 11 with 5461 viewsJ2BLUE

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:22 - Oct 11 by jeera

Some people question the health benefits of sunflower oil. Very high in omega 6 which we get too much of and not enough omega 3.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:21 - Oct 11 with 5453 viewsjimsymBLUE

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:13 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

Yep anytime between now and December. Can be planted anytime really but a decent winter is supposed to help with bigger bulbs. Ready for some young spring garlic or large bulbs towards the back end of the summer.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:22 - Oct 11 with 5446 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:17 - Oct 11 by J2BLUE

Some people question the health benefits of sunflower oil. Very high in omega 6 which we get too much of and not enough omega 3.

Omega 6 was alright but I preferred Omegas 4 and 5.

Omegas 1, 2, and 3 were rubbish in comparison, and Omega 7 was just a remix of 4, 5 and 6.

The last Omega was good though.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:23 - Oct 11 with 5440 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:21 - Oct 11 by jimsymBLUE

Yep anytime between now and December. Can be planted anytime really but a decent winter is supposed to help with bigger bulbs. Ready for some young spring garlic or large bulbs towards the back end of the summer.

Brilliant, I'll get on it. I never seem to have enough garlic in the house so to pluck it fresh from the garden would be superb.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:24 - Oct 11 with 5435 viewsjeera

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:29 - Oct 11 by jimsymBLUE

Yeah, or rapeseed's pretty healthy and doesn't burn like olive oil which I would avoid when roasting as turns very bitter when heated to its smoking point.
Duck fat for me too though...in moderation obs!!

I love rapeseed oil.

Splash of balsamic, thin strips of ginger, a little molasses...

Fresh granary bread.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:27 - Oct 11 with 5425 viewsjeera

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:06 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

Don't think I have, but I'm aware of it. Much different in taste to English radish?

It is but I'm not a fan of regular radish tbf.

A mild... Hey. Buy some.

Let me know what you think.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:28 - Oct 11 with 5425 viewsjimsymBLUE

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:23 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

Brilliant, I'll get on it. I never seem to have enough garlic in the house so to pluck it fresh from the garden would be superb.

Incredibly easy, bought some bulbs from Wyevale (including the large elephant variety) which worked a treat but in all honesty the separated cloves I put in from bulbs from the supermarket worked just as well.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:53 - Oct 11 with 5395 viewsmonytowbray

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:28 - Oct 10 by blue_oyster

Some of it may be in the mind, but compared to supermarket produce it is far better, mainly because it is fresh and has not been in storage, sometimes for weeks before you buy it.

More like months.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 22:14 - Oct 11 with 5378 viewsbluejake78

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:39 - Oct 11 by Vic

Maris Piper make good roasties, but King Edward are even better!

Make sure you boil them for a few minutes first, until the outside is soft. Drain the water then replace the saucepan lid and give them a really good shake. This will leave them fluffy. Transfer them to roasting time, coat with oil and then roast until dark, golden brown.

Beautiful roasties.

My kids still rave over "Dads chips" Boil em slice up and fry from garden to the finished object...add salt and pepper to ones taste. A f/off gammon steak with fried eggs/mushrooms/tomatoes makes proper food...my Springer does somersaults when I cook this.Crikey I'm hungry now.I do confess to be a mustard fan but have found Aldi English mustard is very nice and equals that Norfolk rubbish.
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 23:14 - Oct 11 with 5354 viewsamy73

Most of these posts are cr@p.

Supermarket food is generally much fresher and much tastier than that bought in a local green grocer or butcher. Within the industry, it is well known that meat from Macro is far better than meat from a local butcher. Waitrose fruit and veg is the best in the U.K.

Unfortunately these local businesses do not have the purchasing power to compete in quality. The big chains have teams of people ensuring their produce is the best. And that's taste not just looks.

That's why Hellmans Mayo will be always better than some local wannabe like Stokes. Same for Heinz Ketchup. They employ hundreds of people to ensure it stays that way.

As for growing your own, you may get lucky. But normally it is sub standard. And don't get me started on home laid eggs. Mainly plain tasting and far more likely to contain salmonella.
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 23:19 - Oct 11 with 5342 viewsWeWereZombies

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 23:14 - Oct 11 by amy73

Supermarket food is generally much fresher and much tastier than that bought in a local green grocer or butcher. Within the industry, it is well known that meat from Macro is far better than meat from a local butcher. Waitrose fruit and veg is the best in the U.K.

Unfortunately these local businesses do not have the purchasing power to compete in quality. The big chains have teams of people ensuring their produce is the best. And that's taste not just looks.

That's why Hellmans Mayo will be always better than some local wannabe like Stokes. Same for Heinz Ketchup. They employ hundreds of people to ensure it stays that way.

As for growing your own, you may get lucky. But normally it is sub standard. And don't get me started on home laid eggs. Mainly plain tasting and far more likely to contain salmonella.

Blimey, Edwina Currie has started posting on TWTD!

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 23:20 - Oct 11 with 5343 viewsjeera

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 23:14 - Oct 11 by amy73

Massive generalisations amy.

Do you have vested interests?

Are you in the industry if I may ask.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 23:24 - Oct 11 with 5333 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Been trying to lay eggs at home for years now, but so far no joy.......what am I doing wrong Amy ?
I think I must be planting the wrong mayonnaise seeds as well !
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 23:26]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 23:56 - Oct 11 with 5301 viewsRyorry

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 23:19 - Oct 11 by WeWereZombies

Blimey, Edwina Currie has started posting on TWTD!

Edwina Curry's a shining beacon of intelligence and fount of exemplary wisdom compared with Amy!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 23:57 - Oct 11 with 5296 viewsSpruceMoose

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 23:56 - Oct 11 by Ryorry

Edwina Curry's a shining beacon of intelligence and fount of exemplary wisdom compared with Amy!

How come she ended up playing with John Major's dingaling then?!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 23:58 - Oct 11 with 5295 viewsjeera

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 23:56 - Oct 11 by Ryorry

Makes some wild claims there to be sure.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024