Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is our system? 18:51 - Oct 14 with 8864 viewsLuk38644

442? 4231? 532? We seem to switch it every game and try to match up the opposition... why? It's been a consistent mindset of Mick's over the past 5 years and one that I really wish we'd get rid of. Can't we pick a system, get the players used to it and go from there rather than constantly trying to stifle teams home and away? I understand why Mick would play what he did today, but we're 5 years down the line in his tenure and we still don't have a settled system and don't look likely to have one soon.

I hate the wing-backs system that we play. It's fashionable at the moment all over football because that wing-backs heavily support attacks and act more as wide midfielders than they do full-backs, yet when we play it, Iorfa and Kenlock play more as full-backs who meander forward from time to time. Speaking of Iorfa, why is he starting over Spence? He can;t control a ball and has no end product, so why would Mick choose Iorfa over Spence to play WING-back? Strange choice that.

We are also reverting to the 'square pegs/round holes' conundrum. Ward is not a central midfielder, Iorfa is not a wing-back, Nydam isn't a wide midfielder and Webster isn't anything but a quality centre-half.

I really do hope we set up to go at Norwich like we did Sunderland. Yes, we kept the same team against Bristol City and lost, but you don't abandon a system after one loss. I just hope we can build on a 4231 which can accommodate Waghorn, Celina, McGoldrick and Garner because having those 4 on the pitch encourages us to go forward and attack teams. Adeyemi is clearly a huge miss in the midfield and hopefully he'll be back for the Scum game, but we really need the likes of him and Huws back in the midfield, it's been so pedestrian against Bristol City and now Sheffield United.

Somehow we're still in the top 10 after six losses from eight, so now is the time to sort ourselves out ahead of a tough two months. Norwich is a great chance to get some good feeling back and some momentum. It will be as tough as every derby is, but a win there could kickstart us . Wishful thinking possibly and I don't think we'll win next Sunday, but hopefully the players aren't as pessimistic as I am and show us a performance that emulates the one vs Sunderland and not today's.
What is our system? on 12:04 - Oct 15 with 2008 viewsHerbivore

What is our system? on 11:44 - Oct 15 by chicoazul

I just think Mick has run out of ideas and the club is bereft of intent. No we wont go down, no we wont trouble the play offs. Our form over the last 18 months is basically horrific, with a couple of decent patches. We always have 5 or 6 players injured. Yes we always look like scoring and we have some good forwards, yes we always look like conceding and have some bad defenders. Adeyemi looks good but he cant stay fit, Huws looks good but cant get fit.

Surely now a change is needed. Mick has had his time.

If we sacked Mick now the rest of the football world would look at us like we're mental, and with good reason.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What is our system? on 12:08 - Oct 15 with 2004 viewsHerbivore

What is our system? on 11:27 - Oct 15 by ClausThomsen

We play 4 at the back and we concede too many goals. We play 5 and we've conceded one all season. Which was Kenlock's fault apparently. We can't pretend that 532 is some unfamiliar experiment we've only used this season - our best run last season was in a 532, and that was with Berra in the back 3.

All we needed to do was build on that formation and add goals to it.

Instead we're back playing 4 at the back, leaking goals like a salad and playing players out of position.

I can't wait till June when that contract expires.

Yet again yesterday we had to abandon playing three at the back mid game because we were getting outplayed and you see this as more support for playing three at the back? Delusional, try going to some games and watching some football, you might find a clue.

What is our system? on 12:27 - Oct 15 with 1990 viewstextbackup

What is our system? on 12:04 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

If we sacked Mick now the rest of the football world would look at us like we're mental, and with good reason.

JESUS FCKING CHRIST WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!! do you seriously think hes the only manager that could achieve what we have in last few years? seriously now, remember mick doesn't read this and he wont thank you for licking his arse 24/7

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What is our system? on 12:34 - Oct 15 with 1983 viewschicoazul

I sort of see what you mean but I disagree as I see no evidence that he can turn around our poor form of the last year and a half.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What is our system? on 13:27 - Oct 15 with 1946 viewsClausThomsen

What is our system? on 12:08 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

Yet again yesterday we had to abandon playing three at the back mid game because we were getting outplayed and you see this as more support for playing three at the back? Delusional, try going to some games and watching some football, you might find a clue.

I didn't say that yesterday supported the 5 at the back theory (although we didn't concede) - I clearly stated that last season's best run was in a 532 which is the main pool of evidence. We've only used 532 sparingly this season, and only conceded 1 goal.

How the team can't do this season what they did so well last season only the team knows.

We've lost 6 games in 8 playing your supposed "superior" formation. We've pissed goals all 2017 with 4 at the back.

Look at the goals conceded with 4 at the back compared to 5 throughout all of 2017.

It'd be madness to continue with 4 at the back.

And with MM in charge, I fully expect us to.
What is our system? on 15:03 - Oct 15 with 1927 viewsLuk38644

What is our system? on 08:27 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

A lot of people were calling for us to play 3 at the back yesterday ahead of the game and when we then do it's wrong. We then change it after half an hour because it wasn't working and that's wrong too. Quite staggered by the level of negativity on here after a 1-0 away defeat against a side in the top 3, I guess last season always meant that Mick wasn't going to be given any leeway this season and we're seeing that now.

I can assure you that I was not one of those people mate - The wing-backs system has never been that effective for us, let's face it, even Mick said that it was 'means to an end' last season yet has deployed it again this season!

If we're going to play proper wing-backs who get forward, great, let's try it, but we don't, so let's stick with the 442 that beat Newcastle or the 4231 that blew Sunderland away and build on it.
What is our system? on 15:07 - Oct 15 with 1924 viewsJ2BLUE

Pundits would. I think the fans of other teams who have been taking the piss, writing us off and calling us a dire team to watch for the last few years would sympathise.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What is our system? on 17:13 - Oct 15 with 1896 viewsHerbivore

What is our system? on 12:27 - Oct 15 by textbackup

JESUS FCKING CHRIST WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!! do you seriously think hes the only manager that could achieve what we have in last few years? seriously now, remember mick doesn't read this and he wont thank you for licking his arse 24/7

Nothing is wrong with me, I'm just saying it how it is. I'm not the one getting all shouty.

Login to get fewer ads

What is our system? on 17:14 - Oct 15 with 1894 viewsHerbivore

What is our system? on 13:27 - Oct 15 by ClausThomsen

I didn't say that yesterday supported the 5 at the back theory (although we didn't concede) - I clearly stated that last season's best run was in a 532 which is the main pool of evidence. We've only used 532 sparingly this season, and only conceded 1 goal.

How the team can't do this season what they did so well last season only the team knows.

We've lost 6 games in 8 playing your supposed "superior" formation. We've pissed goals all 2017 with 4 at the back.

Look at the goals conceded with 4 at the back compared to 5 throughout all of 2017.

It'd be madness to continue with 4 at the back.

And with MM in charge, I fully expect us to.

If you actually watched us you'd know we're not remotely suited to three at the back with wing backs.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2017 18:21]

What is our system? on 17:26 - Oct 15 with 1890 viewsMullet

That's not strictly true. Mick plays the system which accommodates the best players he has/stops the opposition.

Hence why we got 4231 to work so effectively in 2014/15 and kept it. We had the right blend and individuals to use it. This season we've been unable to field a proper side die to injuries. I too hate the 352 but it was obvious yesterday given both factors. Plus the slurs of 4-4-2 Mick, were rightly squashed by the fact he has throughout his time here been flexible.

We had also allowed Kenlock to develop because of it so it has had some benefits, but given how United lined up and their home form, risking them getting at us like Fulham did was never wise. What was more frustrating was that we shifted to 4-3-3 and looked much better. That's just how it goes sometimes.

It's more likely that had we had Garner as the focal point we could have started how we finished. There's also the individual performances to consider. Iorfa was bad yesterday, and while he is erratic it was highlighted because so was the rest of the defence by and large.

Likewise the kids we've got are going to be up and down within games let alone on a weekly basis. Last year we had several long term injuries which meant we literally had no one to make changes, this year it's been more a case of not being able to get one settled side together.

Overall though it's fantastic we built such a good start. We've seen just how much better we can be, the question is getting back to that now.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What is our system? on 23:05 - Oct 15 with 1831 viewsCurrie10

This is my biggest bug bare of the season to date. We CANNOT keep swapping system and achieve anything, impossible.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024