Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who do the fans want 09:07 - Nov 2 with 10248 viewshype313

I'm trying to ascertain from the varying opinions on here of what we actually want our club to be doing.

Do we want PL and nothing else? it's the golden goose, despite the fact that without significant investment if we were to go up we would still get smashed every week and probably go back down.

Is is just simply some enjoyment on a Saturday afternoon, with reasonable prices, regardless of division?

Some seem to think relegation would be fun, or more enjoyable than the monotony of treading water in this division

For me, I think we have to be realistic where we sit in the football spectrum. We are not a big club, we don't have huge resource, but it shouldn't stop us from having a go. The most enjoyable time for me was the late 90's when we were in the play off's season after season, and as much as we fell short a few times, it still made it exciting and gave us something to hang onto for the following season, and that was what made supporting a the club the most important thing.

If we can replicate those times to a certain degree again, with some positive football, I'll be happy, but then I'm quite a simpleton and don't want for much.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Who do the fans want on 12:57 - Nov 2 with 2110 viewsfabian_illness

I'm one of the strange ones that just loves going no matter what.
I'd go if we bottom on league 2 and still enjoy myself.

I do miss the feeling of togetherness we had in the Burley years.

I'd be so happy to see a reconciliation between owner, management and fans, massive group hug and a combined effort going forward.
But, there will always be an element of support who want change, the grass is always greener.

Looking back on what we consider to be the last successful era, Burley in charge, Sheepshanks in the board room.... Cracking football, good spirits..... Spiralling debt, administration, uncertainty.

Everyone moans about Evans, he must be using us as a tax break etc etc, but he has saved the club as we know it, we're still in debt but he's underpinned the club and plugged a lot of the leaking holes.
Similarly MM has come in and in a really ugly way performed miracles. In my eyes the mans a genius. Lesser men would have walked away, given the abuse. We've got a determined, stubborn, loyal manager but because he's not a fashionable option large numbers think a change will see us popping the ball around like man city in no time.

So for me, drawing a line in the sand, give the lads and the manager our full backing and move forward.
Who do the fans want on 13:18 - Nov 2 with 2094 viewssotd78

I'd like my club to be respected.

I am not suggesting that Burton Albion is the perfect example but that club seemed genuinely pleased to welcome a thousand paying customers. The turnstyle operator even spoke to fans as they came in. The car parking steward was glad for the fiver we paid.
The ground was neat, clean, tidy and the little food/drink bar manned properly. Prices were fair and not designed to make the last penny out of the fans.

So perhaps we should stop trying to squeeze the last drops out of the infrastructure and go back to being a proper community club. Aim for mid-table and hope for better. Play the youngsters in a progressive style. Not bring in loanees unless it is absolutely a position or player we don't have - so for example no Iorfa or Connolly when we have our own two full backs.

Let's smarten up the ground. Replace the faded shabby seats which after-all reflect on us. Clean the damn North Stand roof and put some pride back into our club.

Whether Championship or League 1 we'd still get 12-14K attendance and those would be true fans - no glory-hunters or hangers on.

Crewe Alexandra, Burton Albion, Fulham, Charlton - that's our level - better if we accepted it.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Who do the fans want on 02:48 - Nov 3 with 2043 viewsCurrie10

I'd like us established in the Prem, with some exciting foreign players perhaps who need rescuing / desire to play.

See Bolton with Big Sam, Stoke perhaps with Hughes.

We're clearly miles off this, however that's the aim for me.

Of course the Leicester title win allows one to dream, however that surely won't be replicated any time soon, if ever...
[Post edited 3 Nov 2017 2:49]
Who do the fans want on 12:42 - Nov 3 with 2008 viewsKeaneish

Who do the fans want on 02:48 - Nov 3 by Currie10

I'd like us established in the Prem, with some exciting foreign players perhaps who need rescuing / desire to play.

See Bolton with Big Sam, Stoke perhaps with Hughes.

We're clearly miles off this, however that's the aim for me.

Of course the Leicester title win allows one to dream, however that surely won't be replicated any time soon, if ever...
[Post edited 3 Nov 2017 2:49]

Agreed. Amazing how this isn't a prerequisite from everyone on here.

I want us to be an established PL team, playing a brand of football that is respected - smaller clubs in stature have achieved this. Having a conversation today about how we've spent a decade and a half in the same division, maintaining mid-table mediocrity at present with the blandest manager in a long time was pretty depressing...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

A committed owner.... on 13:09 - Nov 3 with 1992 viewsBloots

...rather than an owner who should be committed.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Who do the fans want on 13:28 - Nov 3 with 1983 viewsWBBlue18

Who do the fans want on 13:18 - Nov 2 by sotd78

I'd like my club to be respected.

I am not suggesting that Burton Albion is the perfect example but that club seemed genuinely pleased to welcome a thousand paying customers. The turnstyle operator even spoke to fans as they came in. The car parking steward was glad for the fiver we paid.
The ground was neat, clean, tidy and the little food/drink bar manned properly. Prices were fair and not designed to make the last penny out of the fans.

So perhaps we should stop trying to squeeze the last drops out of the infrastructure and go back to being a proper community club. Aim for mid-table and hope for better. Play the youngsters in a progressive style. Not bring in loanees unless it is absolutely a position or player we don't have - so for example no Iorfa or Connolly when we have our own two full backs.

Let's smarten up the ground. Replace the faded shabby seats which after-all reflect on us. Clean the damn North Stand roof and put some pride back into our club.

Whether Championship or League 1 we'd still get 12-14K attendance and those would be true fans - no glory-hunters or hangers on.

Crewe Alexandra, Burton Albion, Fulham, Charlton - that's our level - better if we accepted it.

One of my work colleagues came to a game at PR last season - his first visit. He didn't support either team (he is from up north and was in the area on business). His general comments were: the stadium looked "tired" and in need of a bit of TLC. The portacabin in Constantine Road is an eyesore as is is going rotten. He thought that the whole thing had the sniff of a run down council estate that nobody took pride in, and that in turn fed through to, in his view, people just turning up to get paid - playing without passion - on the field and supporters shrugging their shoulders, watching from 'afar' and not getting involved off it.

I found it quite difficult to argue with him!
Who do the fans want on 09:13 - Nov 5 with 1935 viewsCurrie10

Who do the fans want on 12:42 - Nov 3 by Keaneish

Agreed. Amazing how this isn't a prerequisite from everyone on here.

I want us to be an established PL team, playing a brand of football that is respected - smaller clubs in stature have achieved this. Having a conversation today about how we've spent a decade and a half in the same division, maintaining mid-table mediocrity at present with the blandest manager in a long time was pretty depressing...

Exactly!

It was all well and good in 1998 being happy to be top 6 - sod that I want the best for ITFC.
Who do the fans want on 13:39 - Nov 5 with 1920 views3_5_2

Team - The PL is beyond us so a team that competes at the top end, some play-off flirtation would be lovely but most of all I want to have some entertaining / attacking football, especially at home. I realise not always, but more than we have been given in the past couple of seasons

Club - the relationship between the club and the fans has never ( in my view) been weaker. The disconnect between the owner / the board and itfc fans is there for all to see. Given what ME does as a business I find that strange and disappointing

Oh and to get served at half time before they kick off again !

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Login to get fewer ads

Who do the fans want on 00:30 - Nov 7 with 1870 viewsCurrie10

Who do the fans want on 13:39 - Nov 5 by 3_5_2

Team - The PL is beyond us so a team that competes at the top end, some play-off flirtation would be lovely but most of all I want to have some entertaining / attacking football, especially at home. I realise not always, but more than we have been given in the past couple of seasons

Club - the relationship between the club and the fans has never ( in my view) been weaker. The disconnect between the owner / the board and itfc fans is there for all to see. Given what ME does as a business I find that strange and disappointing

Oh and to get served at half time before they kick off again !

So you want essentially what we have this season in terms of play off flirtation?
Who do the fans want on 04:41 - Nov 7 with 1853 viewsIPS_wich

My two cents...

English Football is fragmenting into three tiers:

- Tier 1: The mega-clubs who will always, always be in the mix for trophies - probably 6-7 clubs in that list.
- Tier 2: The next 25 clubs who will do stints in the premier league and the championship. Their ambition should be a top 10 finish in the premier league and a good cup run.
- Tier 3: The other 60 clubs

I think we are desperately clinging onto the bottom of Tier 2 simply by the virtue of not having been relegated to League 1 or even being that close to relegation.

We're operating in this weird space at the bottom of Tier 2 along with Forest where this means that season after season is just blurring into a dull morass of little or no excitement (as an aside, West Brom and Stoke are existing in a similar state towards the top of Tier 2).

So what I want is for us to do more than just scrape an existence in this Tier 2. A play-off here, a couple of seasons in the PL there, a good cup run...

However, to achieve this, I firmly believe we need to fluke a promotion and then see Evans cash out after a season of getting some money back. I don't think he ever saw us as anything other than a financial investment and to a large extent I don't blame him for stopping throwing money at chasing a prize that has never really been within grasp (with the exception of January 15 - which he c0cked up massively).

The problem is that Evans knows that MM is the ideal manager to maintain our place within Tier 2 and he seems to be just fine with this. He gets a modest loss every year to offset some taxes elsewhere. It's not going to bankrupt him and the prize is probably not worth chasing anymore.

God that's depressing....
Who do the fans want on 08:18 - Nov 7 with 1834 viewsLeoMuff

Who do the fans want on 09:44 - Nov 2 by itfcjoe

I'd like to be competing at the top end of the Championship, with a squad with a few youth players from the academy in.

I'd prefer some better football, but if we are in and around the top 6 (And I wouldn't say we are currently.....) then that would do me.

I like going to the games, looking at the league table before the game - enjoying the home games and seeing how we sit in the table afterwards. At the moment even though we aren't far off I don't look at the table and think about the permutations.

Admittedly some top quality passing football a la Pep's Man City would go down nicely, but that isn't the be all and end all to me.

EDIT - And I'd like to see us give it a go in the cup competitions - especially the FA Cup. Our record in this is embarrassing and it would only take a couple of favourable draws and a couple of good results and we'd be in for a chance of a semi at Wembley. Pathetic how we treat this competition.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 9:46]

Yep, 2 points off 5th with a game in hand, miles off playoffs....
[Post edited 7 Nov 2017 8:20]

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024