Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... 07:35 - Nov 7 with 16126 viewsgordon

Mass murder... what a joke

A disgraceful film was released this week, in which misery, pain, fear and mass murder are milked for feeble giggles.

It is not very good on its own terms, and — like so many modern comedians — uses the f-word repeatedly to jolt the semblance of laughter from its audience, much as you might make a corpse twitch with seeming life by plugging it into the national grid.

The Death Of Stalin makes a farce out of that wholly grim and squalid event. As the monster himself lies dying, a gang of slave-drivers, secret police monsters and gruesome toadies, plus a murderous paedophile, are portrayed as a kind of Carry On farce or a Monty Python sketch. Ha ha.

Well, the only question you need to ask is whether anyone would think the final days of Hitler, the other great European mass-killer, torturer and tyrant, would make a good comedy, with Goebbels, Himmler and the rest of the Nazi elite played for laughs. No, of course not.

But fashionable showbiz persons still can’t grasp that Stalin (Left-wing) was just as evil as Hitler (Right-wing). So they can’t see that either.

END

Lots of great insight there from Mr Hitchens, brilliantly written as always, and it sounds like it would be loads of fun to sit down with Peter for a pint or two. And a great point about there being no comedies about Hitler. Excellent.
Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:08 - Nov 7 with 5660 viewsBlueBadger

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:42 - Nov 7 by chicoazul

Inglorious is a good point. It's been a while since I saw that but from memory I dont think it is a slapstick farce the same way Death of Stalin is which seems to be the thing Hitchens takes issues with.

The reviews by grown ups are, unsurprisingly generally suggesting that its considerably bleaker and more nuanced than the vision of a load of awful old Stalinists running around to the sound of 'Yackety Sax' that Hitchens appears to think it is.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:12 - Nov 7 with 5648 viewsCaptainObvious

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:59 - Nov 7 by DanTheMan

That's the problem with these phrases, you can just keep adding any bollócks to them which basically ends up as "have a differing view point".

It used to be everyone was "PC", then that got boring so it moved to "SJW" and now people have got bored of that, so we are now onto "virtue signalling".

I can't wait to see what the next iteration in, we could make it a game.

I gave a description of what i've experienced and the phrase seemed to fit well so it's not just some bollox i've plucked out of the air. a lot of the replies seem to prove my point better than i could illustrate myself.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:15 - Nov 7 with 5640 viewsDanTheMan

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:12 - Nov 7 by CaptainObvious

I gave a description of what i've experienced and the phrase seemed to fit well so it's not just some bollox i've plucked out of the air. a lot of the replies seem to prove my point better than i could illustrate myself.

But nobody here is "triggered" or saying how much they care about, well nothing, there's nothing to empathise with here so I'm not sure how virtue signalling would even fit in.

People just disagree. I can't see anyone who is angry or offended.

Don't know why people can't talk about things without bringing up some buzzword or gotcha they've read about which essentially boils down to "I'm going to ignore you now because you're just PC/SJW/Virtue Signalling/A toaster"

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:21 - Nov 7 with 5619 viewschicoazul

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:08 - Nov 7 by BlueBadger

The reviews by grown ups are, unsurprisingly generally suggesting that its considerably bleaker and more nuanced than the vision of a load of awful old Stalinists running around to the sound of 'Yackety Sax' that Hitchens appears to think it is.

Have you seen it? I have.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:23 - Nov 7 with 5614 viewsCaptainObvious

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:15 - Nov 7 by DanTheMan

But nobody here is "triggered" or saying how much they care about, well nothing, there's nothing to empathise with here so I'm not sure how virtue signalling would even fit in.

People just disagree. I can't see anyone who is angry or offended.

Don't know why people can't talk about things without bringing up some buzzword or gotcha they've read about which essentially boils down to "I'm going to ignore you now because you're just PC/SJW/Virtue Signalling/A toaster"

I have given an explanation of the phenomenon I have experienced, if you're going to constantly ignore that and insist i am using it as a buzzword to ignore people then there is little point in continuing.

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:26 - Nov 7 with 5604 viewscaught-in-limbo

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:01 - Nov 7 by chicoazul

I rather think people who always like to twist interesting discussions into their own delusional world view are the clowns.

I'd be grateful if you could tell me what my world view is and where it is mentioned in this thread and then tell me how that is irrelevant to the OT.

Good luck.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:26 - Nov 7 with 5608 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m looking forward to seeing the film in the next week or so. I love Iannucci’s work.

However, here is a longer piece from Hitchens over the points he raised.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2017/10/why-i-still-say-that-the-death-of

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:30 - Nov 7 with 5598 viewsCaptainObvious

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:26 - Nov 7 by GlasgowBlue

I’m looking forward to seeing the film in the next week or so. I love Iannucci’s work.

However, here is a longer piece from Hitchens over the points he raised.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2017/10/why-i-still-say-that-the-death-of

I wouldn't bother with the link, people have already made their minds up on seeing who wrote it and from which newspaper it comes from.

Login to get fewer ads

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 11:12 - Nov 7 with 5557 viewsBlueBadger

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:21 - Nov 7 by chicoazul

Have you seen it? I have.

No, that's why I'm going by reviews rather than saying what I thought of it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 13:44 - Nov 7 with 5523 viewseireblue

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:42 - Nov 7 by CaptainObvious

that's my one, not fifa's, mine.

To me, a virtue signaller is someone who constantly has to show everyone their pc credentials. In their own right, and in the right context these credentials are perfectly acceptable, but it's when they are constantly applied where unnecessary to the extent of where you realise it is just someone needing to show everyone they are virtuous.

Triggered just means ready to be set off at any moment.

Oh I see, you mean someone like Tommy Robinson.
on 14:48 - Nov 7 with 5498 views_

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 13:44 - Nov 7 by eireblue

Oh I see, you mean someone like Tommy Robinson.

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 15:03 - Nov 13 with 5404 viewsblue_oyster

A chance for some contemplation.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2017/11/available-for-a-few-weeks-only-th

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

on 15:07 - Nov 13 with 5395 views_

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 15:03 - Nov 13 by blue_oyster

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2017/11/available-for-a-few-weeks-only-th

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 15:57 - Nov 13 with 5381 viewsHerbivore

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:42 - Nov 7 by CaptainObvious

that's my one, not fifa's, mine.

To me, a virtue signaller is someone who constantly has to show everyone their pc credentials. In their own right, and in the right context these credentials are perfectly acceptable, but it's when they are constantly applied where unnecessary to the extent of where you realise it is just someone needing to show everyone they are virtuous.

Triggered just means ready to be set off at any moment.

But in the context of this thread surely Hitchens is the triggered virtue signaller? How dare we laugh at Stalin, don't we known how evil he was? By the way, using the term triggered virtue signaller is massively bellendish.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 16:14 - Nov 13 with 5366 viewsHerbivore

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 10:30 - Nov 7 by CaptainObvious

I wouldn't bother with the link, people have already made their minds up on seeing who wrote it and from which newspaper it comes from.

Just read it, classic triggered virtue signalling from Hitchens.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 16:24 - Nov 13 with 5352 viewsbluewein

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 15:03 - Nov 13 by blue_oyster

Wow. He really can't let go of this, can he?

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 16:58 - Nov 13 with 5333 viewsblue_oyster

on 15:07 - Nov 13 by _

He's certainly never cracked a joke, and everyone listens to him surrounded by a dark mist of impending doom, as shown in the first two minutes here, speaking on the sinister development of the suppression of speech of people you don't agree with.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

on 17:03 - Nov 13 with 5328 views_

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 16:58 - Nov 13 by blue_oyster

He's certainly never cracked a joke, and everyone listens to him surrounded by a dark mist of impending doom, as shown in the first two minutes here, speaking on the sinister development of the suppression of speech of people you don't agree with.

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 17:38 - Nov 13 with 5310 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

on 15:07 - Nov 13 by _

I,ll be watching Gulag one evening this week. Will you watch it ? I doubt many on here with their "hatred" of Mr Hitchens will.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 17:46 - Nov 13 with 5295 viewsDanTheMan

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 17:38 - Nov 13 by StochesStotasBlewe

I,ll be watching Gulag one evening this week. Will you watch it ? I doubt many on here with their "hatred" of Mr Hitchens will.

Omg stop virtue signalling.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 18:08 - Nov 13 with 5271 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 17:46 - Nov 13 by DanTheMan

Omg stop virtue signalling.

SJW if you please

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 18:13 - Nov 13 with 5265 viewsGeoffSentence

Strangely the seem quite fond of Hitler comedies in Germany

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780568/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4176826/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Also, quite shocking that the makers of Allo allo should find so much fun in the nefarious activities of the gestapo. I'll shall be boycotting the BBC until they take it off our screens.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

on 18:40 - Nov 13 with 5253 views_

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 17:38 - Nov 13 by StochesStotasBlewe

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 19:39 - Nov 13 with 5225 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

on 18:40 - Nov 13 by _

You have such a way with words. Personally, i don,t find Mr Hitchens a "bellend" as you so eloquently describe him, but as a very good debater, not that i agree with a lot of what he says.

No, he does not present it. Nowhere will you hear his dulcet tones. It is a documentary by a gentleman called Angus MacQueen and is available on BBC i player until December the 6th. Will be a very sobering & thought provoking 3 hours no doubt. See Blue oysters link for more details.

on 20:05 - Nov 13 with 5206 views_

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 19:39 - Nov 13 by StochesStotasBlewe

You have such a way with words. Personally, i don,t find Mr Hitchens a "bellend" as you so eloquently describe him, but as a very good debater, not that i agree with a lot of what he says.

No, he does not present it. Nowhere will you hear his dulcet tones. It is a documentary by a gentleman called Angus MacQueen and is available on BBC i player until December the 6th. Will be a very sobering & thought provoking 3 hours no doubt. See Blue oysters link for more details.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024