Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keeping it in the corner 08:28 - Nov 23 with 6832 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Why do we always be so negative etc etc?

Not saying that some on here are overreacting, but that is literally the first time this season we have lost a result in the last minute, and we’ve won 4 games by a goal

It happens occasionally, get over it

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Keeping it in the corner on 08:37 - Nov 23 with 5741 viewsJohnny_Boy

Meh. We didn't deserve the 3pts.
Keeping it in the corner on 08:40 - Nov 23 with 5741 viewsReuser_is_God

Agreed.

The issue actually was that we didn't keep it in the corner!

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Keeping it in the corner on 08:45 - Nov 23 with 5727 viewsJohnny_Boy

Keeping it in the corner on 08:40 - Nov 23 by Reuser_is_God

Agreed.

As somebody mentioned last night, we are not a 'possession' team. Aside from Didz & possible a couple of others, our players aren't comfortable keeping hold of the damn thing. Hence the quick diagonal racking balls out of defence. Of course, the 2 man midfield doesn't help either.
Keeping it in the corner on 09:05 - Nov 23 with 5699 viewskpblues

You are so right.
This tactic always drives me mad.
Just before they scored I said to my friend this tactic often backfires - whoops !
We had several chances to score in the last part of the game but instead MIck has got them so worried about losing that they retreat to the corner.

It's boring to watch
It's defeatist
and guess what - it doesn't always work

Sad because were were the better side last night and should have kept pressing.

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

Keeping it in the corner on 09:14 - Nov 23 with 5677 viewsHerbivore

Keeping it in the corner on 08:37 - Nov 23 by Johnny_Boy

Meh. We didn't deserve the 3pts.

I have no idea what you were watching if you think we didn't deserve to win.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Keeping it in the corner on 09:16 - Nov 23 with 5674 viewsSW6Tractor

What annoyed me more was that we'd scored from 2 crosses already, so could have put the game to bed with a ball into the box from that dangerous position. Stupid to try and wind down time with 5 minutes left.

Idiotic, stupid, simpleton tactic that led to us getting caught out because too many players pushed up to support keeping the ball in the corner.
Keeping it in the corner on 09:30 - Nov 23 with 5646 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Keeping it in the corner on 09:05 - Nov 23 by kpblues

You are so right.
This tactic always drives me mad.
Just before they scored I said to my friend this tactic often backfires - whoops !
We had several chances to score in the last part of the game but instead MIck has got them so worried about losing that they retreat to the corner.

It's boring to watch
It's defeatist
and guess what - it doesn't always work

Sad because were were the better side last night and should have kept pressing.

I’m not sure you’ve understood my post properly

Keeping it in the corner on 09:42 - Nov 23 with 5633 viewsJohnny_Boy

Keeping it in the corner on 09:14 - Nov 23 by Herbivore

I have no idea what you were watching if you think we didn't deserve to win.

2 individual mistakes cost us 2 goals.
That's the league we are in I'm afraid.

No point creating loads of chances without being clinical infront of goal.
Login to get fewer ads

Keeping it in the corner on 09:42 - Nov 23 with 5633 viewsWoodsFriesRice

I just hear the word 'Reuser....." every time I see us squander a clear attacking chance in the final minutes.

We're far better at attacking than defending, so why rely on our defence to hold out?
Let the big donkey score an unmarked header to make it 3-2, but sew up the game with one of the three breaks we had beforehand.

Poll: Which of these players (in their prime) would most help our present team?

Keeping it in the corner on 09:51 - Nov 23 with 5607 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Keeping it in the corner on 09:42 - Nov 23 by WoodsFriesRice

I just hear the word 'Reuser....." every time I see us squander a clear attacking chance in the final minutes.

We're far better at attacking than defending, so why rely on our defence to hold out?
Let the big donkey score an unmarked header to make it 3-2, but sew up the game with one of the three breaks we had beforehand.

To repeat, this is literally the only time this season we’ve failed to see out a result

We’ve played 17 league games

Keeping it in the corner on 10:01 - Nov 23 with 5592 viewsmonty_radio

Keeping it in the corner on 09:51 - Nov 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

To repeat, this is literally the only time this season we’ve failed to see out a result

We’ve played 17 league games

I get that. But the corner tactic was misguided and you didn't need to be a football guru to anticipate that it could backfire. Sitting right by that corner, when possession was lost, you witnessed players streaming back as in some sort of race for the line. A message from the touchline to get into some sort of order might just have prevented the goal - then again, perhaps not.

Whatever - disappointing for all of us to lose the points in such a fashion. Walked along for a bit with a Wednesday fan who said that it had been daylight robbery, and wished us all the best for the season.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Keeping it in the corner on 10:04 - Nov 23 with 5587 viewshoppy

Keeping it in the corner on 09:42 - Nov 23 by WoodsFriesRice

At which point did they make it 3-2 last night?

Times like that we could still do with someone like Tabby in seeing a game out. Nobody puts Tabby in the corner.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Keeping it in the corner on 10:06 - Nov 23 with 5580 viewsHerbivore

Keeping it in the corner on 09:42 - Nov 23 by Johnny_Boy

2 individual mistakes cost us 2 goals.
That's the league we are in I'm afraid.

No point creating loads of chances without being clinical infront of goal.

Right. Interesting logic. Even the Wednesday fans thought they'd mugged us.

Keeping it in the corner on 10:23 - Nov 23 with 5574 viewsPhilTWTD

Agreed.

Indeed! And also that the midfield were too advanced (as well as Wednesday having a 6ft 6in striker who was found with their first decent cross of the evening, of course).

This post has been edited by an administrator
Keeping it in the corner on 10:26 - Nov 23 with 5555 viewsPJH

Agreed.

That would have been a better idea although I do think that we started playing to keep the ball in the corner too early, think it was actually before the actual 90 minutes were up.
Keeping it in the corner on 10:28 - Nov 23 with 5552 viewsJohnny_Boy

Keeping it in the corner on 10:06 - Nov 23 by Herbivore

Right. Interesting logic. Even the Wednesday fans thought they'd mugged us.

We've mugged plenty of teams this season. Unsure where you are going with this?

For a team with home advantage, our possession stats were embarrassing. Truly awful.
It was like we were the away team. Tactically.

I totally get playing this mentality away from home. No problem with that. A hard fought point. Earned.
But to play like this HOME & AWAY?

I know we've sunk to new levels of desperation - but this shouldn't be accepted.

[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 10:36]
Keeping it in the corner on 10:49 - Nov 23 with 5521 viewsRadlett_blue

Keeping it in the corner on 10:28 - Nov 23 by Johnny_Boy

For a team with home advantage, our possession stats were embarrassing. Truly awful.

I totally get playing this mentality away from home. No problem with that. A hard fought point. Earned.

I know we've sunk to new levels of desperation - but this shouldn't be accepted.

Sorry, I don't agree. Mick's tactics seem pretty clear to me - when we get the ball, try to get it early to some of our talented forwards because, unlike last season, we have a few players with the potential to score. Often, this involves diagonal passes rather than aimless hoofing down the centre. We dominated the early exchanges & yes, after Wednesday settled & began to dominate possession, I think we sometimes tried to play a through ball too early. But we still created by far the better chances.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Keeping it in the corner on 10:53 - Nov 23 with 5517 viewsSaleAway

Seriously? You're worried about our possession stats... we essentially defended high up the pitch against them, on numerous times, let them pass it amongst themselves, until they ballsed it up ( much like we would do if we tried to play possession football), at which point we broke quickly, and created chances. If you want to talk stats, they had 2 shots on target, for all their possession. Bart didn't have a save to make all night apart from the 2 goals, which he had no chance with.

If last nights performance is unacceptable to you, then you really have got the wrong end of the stick, and are going to be very miserable for a very long time.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Keeping it in the corner on 10:53 - Nov 23 with 5515 viewsJohnny_Boy

Keeping it in the corner on 10:49 - Nov 23 by Radlett_blue

Sorry, I don't agree. Mick's tactics seem pretty clear to me - when we get the ball, try to get it early to some of our talented forwards because, unlike last season, we have a few players with the potential to score. Often, this involves diagonal passes rather than aimless hoofing down the centre. We dominated the early exchanges & yes, after Wednesday settled & began to dominate possession, I think we sometimes tried to play a through ball too early. But we still created by far the better chances.

But playing a 4-2-4.......that's our only effective style of play!
Bypass the midfield. Continually.

its the whole 'winning by fine margins' thing again.
Keeping it in the corner on 11:00 - Nov 23 with 5506 viewsJohnny_Boy

Keeping it in the corner on 10:53 - Nov 23 by SaleAway

Seriously? You're worried about our possession stats... we essentially defended high up the pitch against them, on numerous times, let them pass it amongst themselves, until they ballsed it up ( much like we would do if we tried to play possession football), at which point we broke quickly, and created chances. If you want to talk stats, they had 2 shots on target, for all their possession. Bart didn't have a save to make all night apart from the 2 goals, which he had no chance with.

If last nights performance is unacceptable to you, then you really have got the wrong end of the stick, and are going to be very miserable for a very long time.

It was entertaining. It was hoofy. We played like an Away team.
We got a point. Double Fonzies.
Keeping it in the corner on 11:09 - Nov 23 with 5493 viewsHerbivore

You don't understand football at all.

Keeping it in the corner on 11:14 - Nov 23 with 5488 viewsJohnny_Boy

Keeping it in the corner on 11:09 - Nov 23 by Herbivore

You don't understand football at all.

...and seemingly neither does Mick as he's off in the Summer.

I'm sure the precious Mickers won't like that.
Awaits all the down-thumbs in the world.

[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 11:16]
Keeping it in the corner on 12:28 - Nov 23 with 5401 viewsitfcjoe

Up until the absolute brainfart by Sears and all those who had decided to join the attack, i thought we'd seen the game out excellently - we'd kept it in the corner well - won a couple of free kicks, kept it comfortably from a couple of throw ins.

But for giving it away terribly at the very end (where did 5 mins come from anyway?!) it was as professional a see out as we could do

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Keeping it in the corner on 12:32 - Nov 23 with 5388 viewsitfcjoe

Surely territory is more important than posession, they kept the ball amongst their back line whilst we harried them and they offered absolutely nothing going forwards.

The only thing that is embarrassing is getting hung up on possession stats - especially when they led to 1 shot on target in open play

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Keeping it in the corner on 13:38 - Nov 23 with 5328 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Keeping it in the corner on 10:01 - Nov 23 by monty_radio

I get that. But the corner tactic was misguided and you didn't need to be a football guru to anticipate that it could backfire. Sitting right by that corner, when possession was lost, you witnessed players streaming back as in some sort of race for the line. A message from the touchline to get into some sort of order might just have prevented the goal - then again, perhaps not.

Whatever - disappointing for all of us to lose the points in such a fashion. Walked along for a bit with a Wednesday fan who said that it had been daylight robbery, and wished us all the best for the season.

You don’t need to be a football guru to anticipate that trying to score again may lead to conceding on the counter either. Late goals happen - unfortunately last night it went against us

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024