Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames 16:08 - Nov 28 with 22697 viewspafcprogs

Plymouth fan in peace here

On holiday I started looking at player nicknames and am on a mission to find the best/most apt and hunourorus nicknames past and present.

So I have a Split Pin, a Raspberry, a pair of pre war centre halves known as Death and Glory as well as the obvious One Size and Kris Musampa....

Also interested to know if every club has a Beast a Psycho and or. aTrigger

Look forward to the Town response and don't forget we have just broken the Norwich keeper...he was excellent though!!
Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 12:47 - Nov 29 with 4363 viewsArnieM

Bacon & Eggs. ( Hunter & Beattie)

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 12:54 - Nov 29 with 4347 viewsSuperblue95

Don't forget LarLar Toure from 2 seasons back

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 13:09 - Nov 29 with 4336 viewssotd78

Noddy Talbot was renamed by the Arsenal as Horse
I guess on account of our Suffolk Punch logo except they always said it as 'orse
Mich D'Avray was known (to a few ) as the three-legged chair (on account of his constant falling over)

Not really connected but we've always known Neil Warnock as Colin
(it's an anagram)

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 15:14 - Nov 29 with 4306 viewsPhilTWTD

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 00:08 - Nov 29 by PhilTWTD

These from spending Saturday lunchtimes with the Beat:

Kevin Steggles - Jack - Came from booking into the wrong room in a hotel at St Etienne, has journalist Jack Steggles's room instead of his own.
Trevor Whymark - Skid - Obvious
Frans Thijssen - Sam - As in Sam McCloud due to his moustache
Arnold Muhren - Snikkel - Look it up
Steve McCall - Grumpy
Alan Brazil - Pele
Bryan Hamilton - Diddy

There are probably more. Mick Mills refers to Beat as Monster.

Another one I've not seen mentioned is Joe Broadfoot, who was known as Taxi.

Mick Stockwell was known as Stumper, of course. Got Bobby Robson run out in a cricket match, if I remember the story correctly.

Also, the players used to refer to Sir Bobby, behind his back rather than to his face, as Marty. Steve Stacey apparently came up with the name as his eyes used to bulge out of his head when giving the dressing room a rollocking, a reference to Marty Feldman.
Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 10:23 - Nov 30 with 4227 viewsLord_Lucan

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 16:48 - Nov 28 by pafcprogs

Mariner...still the best player I have ever seen in Plymouth colours...saw him score two v Rochdale in 1973 on his debut and thought wow!

Strangely enough the fans always expected him to go to better things...there was much more of an outcry when we sold Billy Rafferty yo Wolves for peanuts.

We did get stitched up....Terry Austin was a trier but needed to get off the fags...and Peddelty was class at that level but suffered an awful skull fracture and retired....the rest of the cash we wasted!

We are probably more miffed at Chuck Norris being poached the week we played you.....

Most Argyle fans my age(ish) effectively made Ipswich their second team when Mariner went there....and I still watch for your results to this day for no other reason...

Anyway we have the Dockyard Derby to fixate upon with mahoosive Pompeii and their Mickey Mouse owners

So those last few ...real or just a few thrown together

"Strangely enough the fans always expected him to go to better things"

Aside from transferring to Liverpool I don't really see how he could have done much better, he was a constant presence in a side normally in the top 2 or 3 and was a regular for England and won the FA Cup and Uefa cup.

We won't talk about 82/83 because we were falling apart then but in his other 6 full seasons here we finished 3rd twice and 2nd twice. Only Liverpool can really beat that.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 10:29 - Nov 30 with 4220 viewsRadlett_blue

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 10:23 - Nov 30 by Lord_Lucan

"Strangely enough the fans always expected him to go to better things"

Aside from transferring to Liverpool I don't really see how he could have done much better, he was a constant presence in a side normally in the top 2 or 3 and was a regular for England and won the FA Cup and Uefa cup.

We won't talk about 82/83 because we were falling apart then but in his other 6 full seasons here we finished 3rd twice and 2nd twice. Only Liverpool can really beat that.

I think the Gargoyle is saying that most Plymouth fans knew Mariner was obviously so talented that he would soon be on his way to a higher level, so they shrugged when he was sold for a hefty fee.
However, he was gutted when they also sold strike partner Billy Rafferty to Carlisle - who were in the same League - for only £25,000.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 11:07 - Nov 30 with 4207 viewsLord_Lucan

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 10:29 - Nov 30 by Radlett_blue

I think the Gargoyle is saying that most Plymouth fans knew Mariner was obviously so talented that he would soon be on his way to a higher level, so they shrugged when he was sold for a hefty fee.
However, he was gutted when they also sold strike partner Billy Rafferty to Carlisle - who were in the same League - for only £25,000.

Gotcha

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 11:37 - Nov 30 with 4193 viewspafcprogs

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 10:29 - Nov 30 by Radlett_blue

You missed my rationale...we thought Ipswich was the better things. It wasn't a slur....West Ham also sniffed around but Ipswich was perfect for him....I recall he was in a 7-0 home win almost immediately....

Yes when Rafferty was sold Westward TV did a "urgent announcement thing" and we all thought mariner was gone....but there was uproar when Rafferty went for a pittance...

Ah the Gargoyle...usually reserved for use by the Exeter six toes although for some of our loyal fans quite apt a description...

better than the Snot....
Login to get fewer ads

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 11:43 - Nov 30 with 4187 viewsRadlett_blue

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 11:37 - Nov 30 by pafcprogs

You missed my rationale...we thought Ipswich was the better things. It wasn't a slur....West Ham also sniffed around but Ipswich was perfect for him....I recall he was in a 7-0 home win almost immediately....

Yes when Rafferty was sold Westward TV did a "urgent announcement thing" and we all thought mariner was gone....but there was uproar when Rafferty went for a pittance...

Ah the Gargoyle...usually reserved for use by the Exeter six toes although for some of our loyal fans quite apt a description...

better than the Snot....

No, I think I understood your rationale. I thought WBA were also in for Mariner so it was particularly amusing that we put 7 past them shortly afterwards.
I reckon Plymouth may have been in worse financial shape than was generally known at the time, though you would have thought the Mariner fee would have been enough to steady the ship. I got this from a college friend of mine who was the son of former Argyle director, the late Peter Skinnard.

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 13:35 - Nov 30 with 4167 viewsMeadowlark

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 18:15 - Nov 28 by Radlett_blue

Peter Morris = Diesel.
Some people who sat next to me in the East stand one year referred to Mick Lambert as "flapper".
SBR used to refer to Colin Viljoen as "ace".

I remember Mick Lambert being called "spider" Lambert.
Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 15:16 - Nov 30 with 4150 viewsLord_Lucan

better than the Snot....

It was me that missed it, Radlett corrected me, apologies.

I misread it partly because I was eating a fry up and partly because I am a bit simple.

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 15:44 - Nov 30 with 4139 viewspafcprogs

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 11:43 - Nov 30 by Radlett_blue

No, I think I understood your rationale. I thought WBA were also in for Mariner so it was particularly amusing that we put 7 past them shortly afterwards.
I reckon Plymouth may have been in worse financial shape than was generally known at the time, though you would have thought the Mariner fee would have been enough to steady the ship. I got this from a college friend of mine who was the son of former Argyle director, the late Peter Skinnard.

We at the time were owned by Robert Daniel, local cash and carry/garden centre mogul, so yes all about the cash...and you a re right Albion were also interested and thats the game I remember.

Peter Skinnard was one of the better local directors...we have good owner now who runs the club within its means despite the calls from some for "investment"...

There is a general fantasy that if we made the Pre we would have massive crowds....the reality is when we were on the brink of the Pre playoffs ten/twelve years ago we were hitting averages of about 12K....

So yes the money went pretty fast....nowadays of course Prem clubs just run down the contract or Nick them from the academy!

We lost the cream of our Academy when in admin, mainly to Southampton...
Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 15:57 - Nov 30 with 4130 viewsRadlett_blue

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 15:44 - Nov 30 by pafcprogs

We at the time were owned by Robert Daniel, local cash and carry/garden centre mogul, so yes all about the cash...and you a re right Albion were also interested and thats the game I remember.

Peter Skinnard was one of the better local directors...we have good owner now who runs the club within its means despite the calls from some for "investment"...

There is a general fantasy that if we made the Pre we would have massive crowds....the reality is when we were on the brink of the Pre playoffs ten/twelve years ago we were hitting averages of about 12K....

So yes the money went pretty fast....nowadays of course Prem clubs just run down the contract or Nick them from the academy!

We lost the cream of our Academy when in admin, mainly to Southampton...

Peter Skinnard told me a fascinating story about when Santos played at Home Park in 1973. They had arrived for games against Fulham and Plymouth Argyle. At Craven Cottage, Santos had agreed to split the gate receipts with the hosts, but there was a disagreement over the number of paying punters, the Brazilians accusing Fulham of fiddling the crowd figures. With this row fresh in the memory, a few days later they travelled to Plymouth where they had been promised a flat fee of £2,500, but when they saw the crowd of around 40,000 crammed into Home Park they realised they could be missing out. 15 minutes before kick-off, the directors were called down and the Santos representative said, ‘We are not going to play unless you give us another £2,500". Plymouth got the money, £50 notes in cellophane packets and the chairman started telling the man from Santos: ‘This is crooked, we will report you. You will never play in this country again.’ He shrugged his shoulders and said: ‘Plenty more countries.” I also recall that Pele was arrested at Heathrow Airport at the end of the tour in possession of a suitcase full of £50 notes.

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 19:48 - Nov 30 with 4086 viewssolemio

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 12:36 - Nov 29 by monty_radio

I've always wanted to believe that, but wasn't it rather because he was no 11?

I've never thought of that or heard it suggested.

I really do think it was his spindly legs. We certainly thought that was why at the time.
Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 21:59 - Nov 30 with 4060 viewsimsureazzure

If Connor Salmon had of been decent, Tinner would have been a decent nickname.
Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 03:08 - Dec 1 with 4016 viewshorsehollerer

better than the Snot....

You recall correctly. He scored the 5th. A gorgeous solo effort around the 5.15 mark...

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 22:52 - Dec 1 with 3945 viewspafcprogs

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 03:08 - Dec 1 by horsehollerer

You recall correctly. He scored the 5th. A gorgeous solo effort around the 5.15 mark...

Sigh!!!
Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 12:02 - Dec 2 with 3906 viewsCoastalblue

Didn't Lyall call Kywomya "lino" due to the amount of time he spent on the floor?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Witty/Humorous Player Nicknames on 12:18 - Dec 2 with 3896 viewsPiercingBlue

Peter 'Diesel' Morris, because he had a non-stop engine.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024