Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? 13:02 - Dec 3 with 13986 viewswaveneyblue

Been thinking about this - My era goes through - Cooper, Forrest, Wright and Bart (I think they have been the main 4 appearance makers - forgive me if I've missed any) -

For pure shot stopping ability - It has to be Bart - some of the close range saves he makes are world class - appreciate he has his weaknesses - but we should be grateful of them - if he didn't have them he would be playing for a top half Premier League team.....

Thoughts ?

(Can't believe I forgot Kelvin Davis - Top Keeper)
[Post edited 3 Dec 2017 18:41]
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 19:51 - Dec 3 with 3991 viewsJakeITFC

Richard Wright was an international keeper and Premier League champion. Bialkowski is nowhere near that standard.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 20:00 - Dec 3 with 3977 viewsPJH

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 19:51 - Dec 3 by JakeITFC

Richard Wright was an international keeper and Premier League champion. Bialkowski is nowhere near that standard.

Whilst Richard Wright is a possibility as our best ever 'keeper are you claiming him as a Premier League champion in his role of understudy to David Seaman at Arsenal or his non playing role at Manchester City?
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 20:10 - Dec 3 with 3965 viewsblueislander

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 19:51 - Dec 3 by JakeITFC

For me, with old blue tinted specs, it has to be Bailey. He totally dominated the area. Goalkeeping was quite different in respect of the distribution. Great shot stopper though he is, Bart does not command his area. His distrubtion is poor, but I think that could be down to poor coaching ( HOOF) Bailey had a tremendous throw. At least to the halfway line, and very acurate.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 20:15 - Dec 3 with 3957 viewsJakeITFC

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 20:00 - Dec 3 by PJH

Whilst Richard Wright is a possibility as our best ever 'keeper are you claiming him as a Premier League champion in his role of understudy to David Seaman at Arsenal or his non playing role at Manchester City?

Arsenal.

Although it didn’t work out for him there long-term, that he was thought of as a suitable replacement for one the best keepers England have had speaks volumes.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 20:18 - Dec 3 with 3955 viewsPJH

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 20:15 - Dec 3 by JakeITFC

Arsenal.

Although it didn’t work out for him there long-term, that he was thought of as a suitable replacement for one the best keepers England have had speaks volumes.

I agree that he went to Arsenal with a view to him replacing David Seaman in time and that he had the potential to do it.

Although financially he must have had a great career from a playing point of view it seems to have been mostly unfulfilled promise.
on 20:29 - Dec 3 with 3948 views_

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 20:15 - Dec 3 by JakeITFC

Arsenal.

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 20:46 - Dec 3 with 3933 viewsSteve_M

on 20:29 - Dec 3 by _

In hindsight, he went a season too soon as Seaman hung around for the World Cup. Wright went from being first choice and playing every week to occasional games and it made his occasional mistakes more costly. Even might have worked but they had Nigel Martyn in late-career form.

In many ways his best season was back here in 2008-09 (was he player of the season or did he just miss out to McCauley?). Shame Keane didn't allow him a chance after a mistake at Bramall Lane the following season.

As for Bart, a very good keeper for this division but still with notable weaknesses on low shots from distance and judgement coming off his line (even if the latter is much improved). Probably on a par with Davis over the last 20 years but rebind Wright.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2017 12:12]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 20:57 - Dec 3 with 3919 viewshandslikeplates

Super Cooper, he had hands like plates!
Login to get fewer ads

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 21:34 - Dec 3 with 3893 viewsNo9

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 20:18 - Dec 3 by PJH

I agree that he went to Arsenal with a view to him replacing David Seaman in time and that he had the potential to do it.

Although financially he must have had a great career from a playing point of view it seems to have been mostly unfulfilled promise.

If you read Tom Bower's book Arsene Wenger didn't want Richard Wright, he was ready to sign a keeper from Fjenoord.
The deal was done between Sheepshanks & David Dien.
It's a sad story because it didn't do anyone any good
According to the book Town got very little from the transfer

Worth reading about
on 21:36 - Dec 3 with 3886 views_

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 21:34 - Dec 3 by No9

If you read Tom Bower's book Arsene Wenger didn't want Richard Wright, he was ready to sign a keeper from Fjenoord.
The deal was done between Sheepshanks & David Dien.
It's a sad story because it didn't do anyone any good
According to the book Town got very little from the transfer

Worth reading about

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 21:43 - Dec 3 with 3875 viewsNo9

on 21:36 - Dec 3 by _

Tom Bower's book is 'Broken Dreams" but you needto get the second edition.
Sheepshanks doesn't come out of it too well at all.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 00:34 - Dec 4 with 3839 viewsreadtheleaguetable

Paul Cooper. Best ever. End of. ( And not just because he was my next door neighbour.)

Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons "Les Bleus, allez!"

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 09:42 - Dec 4 with 3764 viewsLuggworm

You're all wrong, the answer is Asmir Begovic
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 11:15 - Dec 4 with 3750 viewsKieran_Knows

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:12 - Dec 3 by EastKentBlue

Really? When he makes a save in the top division we can have this conversation. Great keeper for us but not the best ever.

I've said countless times before, he's a bloody good goalkeeper in this division, in fact he's probably priceless to us, but my god half our fans don't half over rate him.

I've been seeing tweets and all sorts about a call up for Poland, christ alive man.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 11:37 - Dec 4 with 3733 viewsDeano69

Pat Jennings - well nearly...

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 11:45 - Dec 4 with 3725 viewsPJH

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 11:37 - Dec 4 by Deano69

Pat Jennings - well nearly...

If only-if we had got him there would never be any debate about our best ever 'keeper.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 11:48 - Dec 4 with 3720 viewsDeano69

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 11:45 - Dec 4 by PJH

If only-if we had got him there would never be any debate about our best ever 'keeper.

now there is World Class, shame he wasn't English too

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 11:48 - Dec 4 with 3718 viewskozmik

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:05 - Dec 3 by gtsb1966

I remember David Best. That makes me feel old

I remember Ken Hancock!

Supporter since 1965

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 11:52 - Dec 4 with 3712 viewsPJH

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 11:48 - Dec 4 by Deano69

now there is World Class, shame he wasn't English too

I rate him as the best 'keeper that I have ever seen.
Whenever there is a thread on here about players that we (apparently) nearly got but did not actually sign he always tops my list as the biggest regret.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 11:58 - Dec 4 with 3707 viewsDeano69

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 11:52 - Dec 4 by PJH

I rate him as the best 'keeper that I have ever seen.
Whenever there is a thread on here about players that we (apparently) nearly got but did not actually sign he always tops my list as the biggest regret.

ditto

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 12:09 - Dec 4 with 3700 viewsYallop

Did I really just read someone say Craig Forrest was our second best keeper of all time! That made me chuckle. Dracula (scared of crosses). Very average keeper.

Mick Mills says Bart is better than Cooper and he'd certainly know.

I'd say at present there's a fag paper between Begovic, Alexander, Davis, Wright and Begovic. Roy Bailey I never saw.

As for the best ever elsewhere. I'll give you Jenning's in the 70's but Neville Southall was up there in the mid 80's.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 12:13 - Dec 4 with 3691 viewsPJH

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 12:09 - Dec 4 by Yallop

Did I really just read someone say Craig Forrest was our second best keeper of all time! That made me chuckle. Dracula (scared of crosses). Very average keeper.

I'd say at present there's a fag paper between Begovic, Alexander, Davis, Wright and Begovic. Roy Bailey I never saw.

As for the best ever elsewhere. I'll give you Jenning's in the 70's but Neville Southall was up there in the mid 80's.

Yes, Southall was a hell of a keeper too.

I think that given his size Forrest should have been a much better keeper than he actually was, with his build he should have dominated his area but he never did.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 12:36 - Dec 4 with 3683 viewsArcher4721

Asmir Begovic has been the best goalkeeper to play for this club.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:05 - Dec 4 with 3670 viewsStirlingArcher

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 12:09 - Dec 4 by Yallop

Best ever elsewhere?
Schmeichel (Peter)

I always felt Wright was unrealised potential personified.

Did well with us, but only his bank balance/manager will have called his subsequent career a success
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:18 - Dec 4 with 3666 viewsBluearmy71

Considering the a modern day football move in the air differently etc etc to compare our keepers is not really fair!

Would Bart have to do as many saves if her were in the team in which Paul Cooper played in??

We have had some fantastic keepers, you can't place any of these above the other in all fairness...

Paul Cooper
Richard Wright
Kelvin Davies
Bart
On loan honorary mention for Begovic.

All really fantastic in their own right, pointless to compare imo!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024