Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players that Mick has improved? 17:49 - Jan 27 with 8107 viewschrice

Think this is my biggest issue with him. Trying to think of players that actually improved under him?!

I’ve got Cresswell, Mings and maybe Skuse

Also Bart, but I don’t think that counts cause he probably doesn’t work with him much.
Players that Mick has improved? on 17:57 - Jan 27 with 4649 viewsDarth_Koont

Easier to ask who's gone backwards under Mick.

Sears possibly but he was a League One player anyway so even that's debatable.

I don't think he always combines the players in the right way but hard to argue he hasn't increased the value of the squad against the money spent.

Pronouns: He/Him

Players that Mick has improved? on 17:59 - Jan 27 with 4636 viewsTrequartista

Players that Mick has improved? on 17:57 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

Easier to ask who's gone backwards under Mick.

Sears possibly but he was a League One player anyway so even that's debatable.

I don't think he always combines the players in the right way but hard to argue he hasn't increased the value of the squad against the money spent.

Sears, Bru, Bishop, Smith, McGoldrick and that's just the current players.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:04 - Jan 27 with 4612 viewspointofblue

Players that Mick has improved? on 17:59 - Jan 27 by Trequartista

Ward's another - think about his debut against Barnsley compared to where he is now. Neither Garner or Waghorn are at the same level as the start of this season either.

Saying Bishop is harsh though; injuries have held his progress up badly.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:04 - Jan 27 with 4609 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

2 of those played the best football of their careers under Mick

Bishop has been injured frequently, whilst Bru was average when he signed and is still average

Sears you can make a case but his career path suggests he is also an average player who joined us in the midst of a purple patch

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:06 - Jan 27 with 4601 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

That bloke we had on loan 3 times, who then became the top scorer in the division?

Our supposedly indispensable goalkeeper?

Our top scorer this season?

Chambers?

There’s plenty more

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:07 - Jan 27 with 4589 viewsmos

Knudsen has developed into quite a good player.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:07 - Jan 27 with 4589 viewsTrequartista

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:04 - Jan 27 by pointofblue

Ward's another - think about his debut against Barnsley compared to where he is now. Neither Garner or Waghorn are at the same level as the start of this season either.

Saying Bishop is harsh though; injuries have held his progress up badly.

I nearly put Ward and Chambers as well but Ward didn't really perform well for long enough when he came here to have shown a real decline and Chambers has always had dodgy spells.

Injury has hampered Bishop, that's clear, but when he did come back for a spell he was nowhere near the previous level so it fits the description.

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:08 - Jan 27 with 4588 viewsGuthrum

There have been a lot of players out of favour at their previous clubs who have gone on to do well under McCarthy (Waghorn, Garner, McGoldrick, Chambers) or who he's manged to squeeze a last hurrah from (the Hunt brothers, Vardy). The entire team at Ipswich in November 2012 improved almost overnight. Then there's the fact top clubs keep entrusting him with their promising young players (Maitland-Niles, Fraser, Lawrence, Celina, Connelly).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:09 - Jan 27 with 4569 viewspointofblue

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:07 - Jan 27 by Trequartista

I nearly put Ward and Chambers as well but Ward didn't really perform well for long enough when he came here to have shown a real decline and Chambers has always had dodgy spells.

Injury has hampered Bishop, that's clear, but when he did come back for a spell he was nowhere near the previous level so it fits the description.

Though was Bishop just rusty from his injury spell - to be fair, I thought he looked promising during his cameo appearance against QPR.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:10 - Jan 27 with 4560 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:08 - Jan 27 by Guthrum

There have been a lot of players out of favour at their previous clubs who have gone on to do well under McCarthy (Waghorn, Garner, McGoldrick, Chambers) or who he's manged to squeeze a last hurrah from (the Hunt brothers, Vardy). The entire team at Ipswich in November 2012 improved almost overnight. Then there's the fact top clubs keep entrusting him with their promising young players (Maitland-Niles, Fraser, Lawrence, Celina, Connelly).

‘Top clubs keep entrusting us with their promising young players’...

Yeah but what would they know?

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:12 - Jan 27 with 4527 viewsDarth_Koont

Nonsense.

We picked up Bru and McGoldrick for nothing and he turned Bru into a starter and Didz into a multi-million pound player in terms of valuation.

Bishop has been injured but was promoted by Mick as soon as he could. And brought out the best in him very early on.

Smith and Sears are at the level they've always been - honest, hard-working team players. Do you or any other Championship manager think they're undervalued?

You're barking up the wrong tree if you think MM hasn't developed individuals. I'd argue he's sometimes done that at the expense of developing the team.

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:14 - Jan 27 with 4509 viewsTrequartista

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:12 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

Nonsense.

We picked up Bru and McGoldrick for nothing and he turned Bru into a starter and Didz into a multi-million pound player in terms of valuation.

Bishop has been injured but was promoted by Mick as soon as he could. And brought out the best in him very early on.

Smith and Sears are at the level they've always been - honest, hard-working team players. Do you or any other Championship manager think they're undervalued?

You're barking up the wrong tree if you think MM hasn't developed individuals. I'd argue he's sometimes done that at the expense of developing the team.

i don't care how much they cost or where they were before, a decline under McCarthy is a comparison between the level they played at when they first pulled on a town shirt, and the level they are at now.

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:16 - Jan 27 with 4490 viewsDarth_Koont

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:14 - Jan 27 by Trequartista

i don't care how much they cost or where they were before, a decline under McCarthy is a comparison between the level they played at when they first pulled on a town shirt, and the level they are at now.

Which is the same or higher.

Who are you even talking about? I'm struggling to name a single player who has dropped down after signing for us apart from Cameron Stewart.

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:17 - Jan 27 with 4482 viewsstantheman

Bru was on trial after not being wanted anywhere else, Bishop is because of injury and lack of games, McGoldick because he is older and his legs have gone (plus injuries), Smith has always been Smith (ok ish defender from day 1) but apart from that you are spot on.
Players that Mick has improved? on 18:23 - Jan 27 with 4449 viewsTrequartista

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:17 - Jan 27 by stantheman

Bru was on trial after not being wanted anywhere else, Bishop is because of injury and lack of games, McGoldick because he is older and his legs have gone (plus injuries), Smith has always been Smith (ok ish defender from day 1) but apart from that you are spot on.

I don't care if Bru was previously a professional dart player, he is not as good as when he first broke into the team and nor are any on the rest of my list.

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:24 - Jan 27 with 4431 viewsTrequartista

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:16 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

Which is the same or higher.

Who are you even talking about? I'm struggling to name a single player who has dropped down after signing for us apart from Cameron Stewart.

If you think Sears or Bru are playing as well as they did when they first came here there is little point in continuing, you will just defend anything.

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:31 - Jan 27 with 4390 viewsDarth_Koont

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:24 - Jan 27 by Trequartista

If you think Sears or Bru are playing as well as they did when they first came here there is little point in continuing, you will just defend anything.

Where am I defending anything?

Just trying to make sense of your faulty logic. I even gave you Cameron Stewart.

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:34 - Jan 27 with 4359 viewsstantheman

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:23 - Jan 27 by Trequartista

I don't care if Bru was previously a professional dart player, he is not as good as when he first broke into the team and nor are any on the rest of my list.

Bru was in the team because we had no one better at the time. Now we have so ergo he is not playing as much.
Players that Mick has improved? on 18:34 - Jan 27 with 4362 viewsTrequartista

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:31 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

Where am I defending anything?

Just trying to make sense of your faulty logic. I even gave you Cameron Stewart.

It's not logic, it's opinion, i listed players who i think have gone backwards since they first played for us, you disagree with all of them. I disagree with Cameron Stewart, how can he have got any better or worse if he never played?

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:38 - Jan 27 with 4343 viewsTrequartista

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:34 - Jan 27 by stantheman

Bru was in the team because we had no one better at the time. Now we have so ergo he is not playing as much.

No-one better in a team that made the play-offs? ok. He looked a relatively accomplished player back then. I think he has gone backwards.

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:38 - Jan 27 with 4339 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:23 - Jan 27 by Trequartista

Bru is pretty much exactly the same player as he was when he joined us - bang average

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:41 - Jan 27 with 4328 viewsTrequartista

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:38 - Jan 27 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Bru is pretty much exactly the same player as he was when he joined us - bang average

I think he's gone backwards, I think McCarthy does too hence him not getting a squad number this season. It's all opinion though so not really much more to discuss.

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:44 - Jan 27 with 4307 viewsDarth_Koont

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:41 - Jan 27 by Trequartista

I think he's gone backwards, I think McCarthy does too hence him not getting a squad number this season. It's all opinion though so not really much more to discuss.

Nothing to do with the raft of young, exciting central midfielders that are signed, coming through or coming back from injury?

Have a word.

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:46 - Jan 27 with 4294 viewsTrequartista

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:44 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

Nothing to do with the raft of young, exciting central midfielders that are signed, coming through or coming back from injury?

Have a word.

Partly, but i think that had he been playing at the level he did when he first came in, he would have been fighting for a place.

Players that Mick has improved? on 18:49 - Jan 27 with 4277 viewsMullet

Jesus, there are some sticks to beat him with but this? Absolute b0llocks.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024