Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory 16:36 - Feb 15 with 23027 viewstractordownsouth

Apologies I'm a few days late, but here's the charming Mr Rees- Mogg presenting a Daily Express petition to cut foreign aid to poor countries. What a lovely chap.

Appreciate a few of you aren't fans of the Guardian, but the picture's there for all to see.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/11/oxfam-foreign-aid-jacob-re

( Edited for time inaccuracy)
[Post edited 15 Feb 2018 16:50]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:42 - Feb 15 with 8087 viewsNo9

He is a pleasant chap- didn't he say he was a christian and is anti abortion?
And doesn't a company(s) hs is involved with peddle abortion pills?
& he says it's OK because where they do it it isn't illegal.
Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:42 - Feb 15 with 8090 viewspickles110564

He is the only decent politician at the moment who stays true to his beliefs, hopefully he will be running the country before too long and get us out of the EU without any tie in strings.
Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:44 - Feb 15 with 8070 viewstractordownsouth

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:42 - Feb 15 by pickles110564

He is the only decent politician at the moment who stays true to his beliefs, hopefully he will be running the country before too long and get us out of the EU without any tie in strings.

You're right, he is true to his beliefs.

The problem is the majority of those beliefs are abhorrent.

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:46 - Feb 15 with 8056 viewsNo9

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:42 - Feb 15 by pickles110564

You are obvioulsy very wealthy so you will gain
Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:47 - Feb 15 with 8053 viewsGlasgowBlue

Without wishing to come to Mr Rees Mogg's defence but didn't he present the Foreign Aid petition to Downing street some days before the Oxfam scandal broke?

BTW I completely disagree with JRM on Foriegn Aid.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:49 - Feb 15 with 8040 viewsartsbossbeard

Remove the glasses, add a little tache...

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:51 - Feb 15 with 8025 viewstractordownsouth

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:47 - Feb 15 by GlasgowBlue

Without wishing to come to Mr Rees Mogg's defence but didn't he present the Foreign Aid petition to Downing street some days before the Oxfam scandal broke?

BTW I completely disagree with JRM on Foriegn Aid.

Fair play, OP amended. The general point still stands of course.

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:52 - Feb 15 with 8020 viewsLord_Lucan

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:44 - Feb 15 by tractordownsouth

You're right, he is true to his beliefs.

The problem is the majority of those beliefs are abhorrent.

We had all this the other week.

He is anti abortion, he holds the same view as Mother Theresa, were her views abhorrent? I disagree with him but it's a subject that you can't really go round criticising people for their views. It's hardly a subject that you can be accused of being wrong.

With regards to foreign aid, I think his main problem is giving countries like India foreign aid, India, a country that can afford its own space project.

Most foreign aid is in fact only done as government sweetners, it should be called Foreign Bribe.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:54 - Feb 15 with 8008 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:51 - Feb 15 by tractordownsouth

Fair play, OP amended. The general point still stands of course.

Not your fault. You can only go by what you are told by a source you trust. The Guardian article is actually telling lies because it say that the Oxfam story broke on the Thursday with JRM handing in the petition on the next day, Friday.

The video I linked and date on the tweet clearly shows 8th February which was Thursday.

So they have lied to score a point. Is this what people are calling fake news.

Iron Lion Zion

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:57 - Feb 15 with 7994 viewstractordownsouth

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:52 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

He is anti abortion, he holds the same view as Mother Theresa, were her views abhorrent? I disagree with him but it's a subject that you can't really go round criticising people for their views. It's hardly a subject that you can be accused of being wrong.

With regards to foreign aid, I think his main problem is giving countries like India foreign aid, India, a country that can afford its own space project.

Most foreign aid is in fact only done as government sweetners, it should be called Foreign Bribe.

Just as Mogg can use his freedom of speech to express those views, those who disagree can also use theirs to voice their criticism, surely?

Whilst I agree with the point about aid not falling into the wrong hands, I don't think India is a great example, as the country is home to 1/3 of those in absolute poverty globally.

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:21 - Feb 15 with 7927 viewsLord_Lucan

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:57 - Feb 15 by tractordownsouth

Just as Mogg can use his freedom of speech to express those views, those who disagree can also use theirs to voice their criticism, surely?

Whilst I agree with the point about aid not falling into the wrong hands, I don't think India is a great example, as the country is home to 1/3 of those in absolute poverty globally.

1/ Yes of course but (personally) I feel that abortion is such a subject where there is no right or wrong. Maybe I'm not explaining it very well but it is such a big subject and both sides of the argument have a valid point.

2/ I think India is the perfect example, they should think about spending their reserves on their people rather than a space program.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:24 - Feb 15 with 7917 viewsBlueBadger

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 16:52 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

The view that pregnancy through rape is a 'gift from God' is utterly vile, regardless of who's spouting it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:25 - Feb 15 with 7913 viewsBlueBadger

I like how he's consistent in his views that government should interfere as little in the running of people's lives until those people happen to be gay, women or poor.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:25 - Feb 15 with 7909 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:21 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

1/ Yes of course but (personally) I feel that abortion is such a subject where there is no right or wrong. Maybe I'm not explaining it very well but it is such a big subject and both sides of the argument have a valid point.

2/ I think India is the perfect example, they should think about spending their reserves on their people rather than a space program.

After Ethiopia, the two biggest recipients of Aid from the UK are India and Pakistan. Both have a nuclear arsenal.

We are the 2nd largest contributor to Foreign Aid in the western world.

I am happy with that but we certainly need to look at where that aid is going as when people like yourself mention the Indian Space Program it can lead to resentment in the UK in areas where there is a shortage of homes, schools and hospitals.

Iron Lion Zion

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:28 - Feb 15 with 7899 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:24 - Feb 15 by BlueBadger

The view that pregnancy through rape is a 'gift from God' is utterly vile, regardless of who's spouting it.

Has he specifically said that pregnancy through rape is a 'gift from God'?

He is pro life. He believes that life begins on conception. We live in a strange world where people are looked down on for believing that life is precious.

Iron Lion Zion

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:29 - Feb 15 with 7899 viewsLord_Lucan

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:24 - Feb 15 by BlueBadger

I think you are being silly here, quite unnecessarily.

The argument for pregnancy through rape would be that it is still a human life.

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:34 - Feb 15 with 7877 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:29 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

I like Badger but he has a habit of posting these same old soundbites* and never coming back to debate the issue when challenged.

See also "Privatise the Royal Family". I think he phones his posts in these days.

Iron Lion Zion

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:47 - Feb 15 with 7836 viewsBlueBadger

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:28 - Feb 15 by GlasgowBlue

Has he specifically said that pregnancy through rape is a 'gift from God'?

He is pro life. He believes that life begins on conception. We live in a strange world where people are looked down on for believing that life is precious.

My mistake on the soundbite - it's aa Newthump headline

And frankly, his 'humanitarian' looks a little iffy when you consider he's genuinely in favour of making women carry all foestutes, regardless of how viable their lives are or the circumstances of their conception. And that's before we get onto how he feels about cutting welfare payments and children's services.

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:51 - Feb 15 with 7827 viewsBlueBadger

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:29 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

As I'd said below, I'd be more convinced of of humanitarian concerns for the welfare of children if he weren't so in favour of cutting welfare payments and children's services. He's the classical hard-right pro-life hypocrite who is only interested in 'unborn children' until they actually emerge from the womb, at which point he couldn't give a short t0ss about genuinely doing anything to help those born disabled, poor or conceived via abuse.

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:52 - Feb 15 with 7830 viewsLord_Lucan

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:34 - Feb 15 by GlasgowBlue

I like Badger but he has a habit of posting these same old soundbites* and never coming back to debate the issue when challenged.

See also "Privatise the Royal Family". I think he phones his posts in these days.

Whilst I am still pro choice for the women my views have changed a bit recently. I know of a women that has had multiple abortions for no other reasons than she didn't want a baby, why she couldn't take a pill is beyond me.

Since my Grandmaster Flash news I have had time to think about this subject a lot. Daughter has had confirmation that all is well but there was a stage when we obviously didn't know this. I never discussed the scenarios if anything was wrong as I know she listens to me and I didn't want to cloud her decision should the sh1t hit the fan but bar a situation where the child would be a complete melon I wouldn't have wanted an abortion - you know, for Downs and all that. I wouldn't have wanted that and although it was never discussed I am pretty sure that she wouldn't.

But each to their own.

I rambled a bit there - apologies.

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:55 - Feb 15 with 7807 viewsBlueBadger

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:52 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

Whilst I am still pro choice for the women my views have changed a bit recently. I know of a women that has had multiple abortions for no other reasons than she didn't want a baby, why she couldn't take a pill is beyond me.

Since my Grandmaster Flash news I have had time to think about this subject a lot. Daughter has had confirmation that all is well but there was a stage when we obviously didn't know this. I never discussed the scenarios if anything was wrong as I know she listens to me and I didn't want to cloud her decision should the sh1t hit the fan but bar a situation where the child would be a complete melon I wouldn't have wanted an abortion - you know, for Downs and all that. I wouldn't have wanted that and although it was never discussed I am pretty sure that she wouldn't.

But each to their own.

Ironically enough, easy access to sex education and contraception is also something that JRM, as a staunch Catholic, is strongly opposed to.

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:55 - Feb 15 with 7810 viewstcblue

As you will see from his voting record, he's a massive believer in rights.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24926/jacob_rees-mogg/north_east_somerset/vote

For smokers. Gays, equality, euthanasia and human rights - not so much.

I'm sure he spoke once eloquently and in an non threatening fashion and so the public don't know what an absolute POS he is as a person.
Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 18:02 - Feb 15 with 7797 viewsm14_blue

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:47 - Feb 15 by BlueBadger

My mistake on the soundbite - it's aa Newthump headline

And frankly, his 'humanitarian' looks a little iffy when you consider he's genuinely in favour of making women carry all foestutes, regardless of how viable their lives are or the circumstances of their conception. And that's before we get onto how he feels about cutting welfare payments and children's services.

Precisely this.

We let JRM off far too easily with the obsession over his pro life views. I actually agree with Lucan that it's a complex issue and whilst Mogg's stance is out of kilter with most of the country I can understand it.

However, he has an appalling voting record when it comes to gay rights and almost anything to do with helping the most vulnerable in our society.

Incredibly privileged man who obviously couldn't care less about the people he represents but has somehow convinced them he's on their side because he says please and thank you.
Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 18:06 - Feb 15 with 7778 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 17:52 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

But each to their own.

I posted this the last time this was being discussed.

Jacob Rees-Mogg by GlasgowBlue 8 Feb 2018 10:45
I'm anti abortion and I don't consider myself in the slightest as being hateful.

My views are formed by personal experience.

16 years ago when my wife was expecting our twin daughters a scan revealed that both babies had cysts on their brains and this is a sign of Edwards Syndrome, which would have see the babies born terribly deformed and unlikely to live past their first birthday. I'm welling up right now thinking about the emotions Mrs GB and myself went through during that period. Obviously one of the options given to us was for my wife to abort the pregnancy. That was very upsetting for me but imagine what the wife was going through.

Thankfully the hospital were able to do further tests that found they didn't have Edwards Syndrome and over the course of the pregnancy the cysts began to shrink to nothingness. We now have two fantastic twin daughters. One who wants to be a human rights lawyer, the other a primary school teacher. They are typical teenagers who love life and have a fantastic future to look forward to.

And that is why I am against abortion. To me you are depriving somebody of a wonderful glorious life. It's killing, plain and simple.

I understand that there should be exceptions for medical reasons such as the one I mentioned above and I fully understand how traumatic it would be for a victim of rape to carry the rapists unborn child for 9 months but in all other circumstances I believe that baby has as much right to live a full and wonderful life as you or I.

And I don't think aborting a healthy baby at the 20+ week mark because you don't want the hassle of a baby is no different than suffocating a new born in their cot for the same reason.

Iron Lion Zion

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 18:08 - Feb 15 with 7777 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jacob Rees- Mogg covering himself in even more glory on 18:02 - Feb 15 by m14_blue

Precisely this.

We let JRM off far too easily with the obsession over his pro life views. I actually agree with Lucan that it's a complex issue and whilst Mogg's stance is out of kilter with most of the country I can understand it.

However, he has an appalling voting record when it comes to gay rights and almost anything to do with helping the most vulnerable in our society.

Incredibly privileged man who obviously couldn't care less about the people he represents but has somehow convinced them he's on their side because he says please and thank you.

I don't think anyone is sticking up for the vast majority of JRM's views on this thread. I would be horrified if he were elected leader of the Tories, which he wont be.

But two of us have some sympathy with his views on abortion.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024