Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Meyler 09:59 - Mar 2 with 15511 viewsJimmy86

The Daily Star have us linked with Hull midfielder David Meyler, who is leaving the club at the end of the season.

Irish international, but has been really injury prone in his career. Can't believe he's only 28!!
David Meyler on 10:15 - Mar 2 with 7900 viewsSuperblue95

I would have thought he was older than 28 too.

I've seen him play for Ireland plenty of times. Runs around a lot but rarely has much impact on any game. Versatile though as he can play in the middle out wide or at full back. I'd say he'd be very similar to Jay Tabb.

I wouldn't want him to sign for us but he's probably the sort of player that would be decent here given a chance

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

David Meyler on 10:23 - Mar 2 with 7854 viewschristiand

No, not another Irish player surely? That is so unlike us!!!! Our scouting network looks far and wide.......as long as it's not beyond Ireland.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

David Meyler on 10:24 - Mar 2 with 7846 viewschicoazul

Anyone who launched at Pardew is alright by me.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

David Meyler on 10:27 - Mar 2 with 7836 viewsHarryfromBath

Funny you should put this thread up, as Hull fans can see him going in this summer's wave of departures and the thought occurred to me as well. He has hardly featured in recent league games, although he played against Chelsea in their FA Cup defeat.

"Meyler constantly loses the ball." He is seen as hard-working and is their most tenacious midfielder - something they are lacking - but he has been criticised for constantly giving possession away and the perception is that his form is not great at present.

"He doesn't always catch the eye but is doing a good job doing the boring stuff breaking up play in midfield." An honest, hard-working (if somewhat injury-prone) midfielder currently out of favour who may fall inside our wage bracket and I was surprised as well to see how young he is.

If Mick is still here, I would be surprised if he didn't look at him, but the other factor is that we could be stuffed with central midfielders next season when our injured brigade return. One other reason Meyler has not featured is the fact that Hull are overloaded in this department.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

David Meyler on 10:47 - Mar 2 with 7766 viewsArnieM

1) injury ridden Jc : tick
2) Irish : tick
3) ageing : tick
4) likely “free” offloaded : tick

Yip , he’ll be joining our long list of injury prone midfielders, never to kick a ball for us.

Waste of time Evans . Give it up!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

David Meyler on 11:03 - Mar 2 with 7700 viewsHerbivore

David Meyler on 10:23 - Mar 2 by christiand

No, not another Irish player surely? That is so unlike us!!!! Our scouting network looks far and wide.......as long as it's not beyond Ireland.

Don't make me destroy you on this fallacy again.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

on 11:07 - Mar 2 with 7696 views_

David Meyler on 11:12 - Mar 2 with 7678 viewstrueblue1970

No thanks we are over run with midfielders lets hope the ones we have can keep fit with the youngsters coming through we should be strong in this area
Login to get fewer ads

David Meyler on 11:27 - Mar 2 with 7631 viewsJimmy86

on 11:07 - Mar 2 by _

He's played a lot of football for Ireland and has also played in the premier league. I imagine he's best in a 2 in front of the back 4 if we play 4 2 3 1.

I remember him having terrible luck with injuries though. He seems to have been round for ages. Can't believe he's only 28
on 11:29 - Mar 2 with 7629 views_

David Meyler on 11:27 - Mar 2 by Jimmy86

He's played a lot of football for Ireland and has also played in the premier league. I imagine he's best in a 2 in front of the back 4 if we play 4 2 3 1.

I remember him having terrible luck with injuries though. He seems to have been round for ages. Can't believe he's only 28

David Meyler on 11:32 - Mar 2 with 7619 viewsJimmy86

on 11:29 - Mar 2 by _

Where would that leave Adeyemi? As think they play similar roles and are similar height and build. We also have Gleeson on a short term deal too. Think I'd rather try and get Connolly on a perm deal as he has turned into a decent midfielder
David Meyler on 11:36 - Mar 2 with 7603 viewstrueblue1970

David Meyler on 11:32 - Mar 2 by Jimmy86

Where would that leave Adeyemi? As think they play similar roles and are similar height and build. We also have Gleeson on a short term deal too. Think I'd rather try and get Connolly on a perm deal as he has turned into a decent midfielder

we also have Downes coming through and Hyam if he signs up again?
on 11:38 - Mar 2 with 7602 views_

David Meyler on 11:32 - Mar 2 by Jimmy86

on 11:41 - Mar 2 with 7594 views_

David Meyler on 11:36 - Mar 2 by trueblue1970

we also have Downes coming through and Hyam if he signs up again?

David Meyler on 11:45 - Mar 2 with 7587 viewstrueblue1970

on 11:41 - Mar 2 by _

don't know but if he is to develop he needs to play, I would say yes, I really don't think we will make top 2 but 5/6 is a realistic target and I think he could play a big part in that?
on 11:46 - Mar 2 with 7579 views_

David Meyler on 11:45 - Mar 2 by trueblue1970

don't know but if he is to develop he needs to play, I would say yes, I really don't think we will make top 2 but 5/6 is a realistic target and I think he could play a big part in that?

David Meyler on 11:50 - Mar 2 with 7566 viewstrueblue1970

on 11:46 - Mar 2 by _

I'm guessing we have a lot of ifs and buts between now and the summer pre-season !
David Meyler on 12:16 - Mar 2 with 7514 viewsSuperblue95

on 11:38 - Mar 2 by _

I would assume you haven't seen Meyler play very often if you think he's significantly better than Adeyemi

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

on 12:25 - Mar 2 with 7487 views_

David Meyler on 12:16 - Mar 2 by Superblue95

I would assume you haven't seen Meyler play very often if you think he's significantly better than Adeyemi

David Meyler on 12:40 - Mar 2 with 7461 viewschristiand

David Meyler on 11:03 - Mar 2 by Herbivore

Don't make me destroy you on this fallacy again.

ssh Herbivore, when you told me last time we don't sign many Irish players days later we go out and sign the young Irish striker and then the fullback joined. Yes, our signings aren't 'all' Irish (as I do say things tongue in cheek sometimes), but it is hard to dismiss that we do seem to sign a bloody lot from the Emerald Isle.

Are there not other countries that produce players?
[Post edited 2 Mar 2018 12:42]

David Meyler on 12:55 - Mar 2 with 7424 viewsHerbivore

David Meyler on 12:40 - Mar 2 by christiand

ssh Herbivore, when you told me last time we don't sign many Irish players days later we go out and sign the young Irish striker and then the fullback joined. Yes, our signings aren't 'all' Irish (as I do say things tongue in cheek sometimes), but it is hard to dismiss that we do seem to sign a bloody lot from the Emerald Isle.

Are there not other countries that produce players?
[Post edited 2 Mar 2018 12:42]

In January alone we signed a French youngster and took two English youngsters on trial, at least one of whom is still here. We signed a 16 year old 'wonderkid' who was English as well. Carter-Vickers and Carayol also aren't Irish. I don't think 'Irish' is a must have criterion for us to sign a player, although the lazy thinking that it is would probably explain the link to Meyler.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2018 13:06]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

David Meyler on 13:19 - Mar 2 with 7365 viewsGarv

on 11:29 - Mar 2 by _

For good reason.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

David Meyler on 13:40 - Mar 2 with 7290 viewsITFC_Forever

on 11:41 - Mar 2 by _

We won't be seriously considering promotion, ME will be hoping Mick can produce a miracle.
In which case, Downes has every opportunity to get plenty of game time in the role Connolly plays now.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

on 13:42 - Mar 2 with 7289 views_

David Meyler on 13:19 - Mar 2 by Garv

For good reason.

David Meyler on 14:55 - Mar 2 with 7225 viewschristiand

David Meyler on 12:55 - Mar 2 by Herbivore

In January alone we signed a French youngster and took two English youngsters on trial, at least one of whom is still here. We signed a 16 year old 'wonderkid' who was English as well. Carter-Vickers and Carayol also aren't Irish. I don't think 'Irish' is a must have criterion for us to sign a player, although the lazy thinking that it is would probably explain the link to Meyler.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2018 13:06]

Being Irish seems to certainly help, although you list other alternatives you decline to mention the fact Gleeson is Irish and the two youngsters that joined us in January are too which nearly equates to 50% of our transfer business.

Like I said earlier I'm not saying all our signings are from the Emerald Isle, but a good percentage are. You mention 'lazy thinking' from a journalist's point of view regarding the Meyler story, I also think it is lazy scouting and recruitment from the club too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024