Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was the first Town game you saw live? 11:48 - Apr 15 with 26687 viewsKeno

I'm feeling a little melancholy so lets all take a trip down memory lane

Me

August 1974 Ipswich 2 Burnley 0

Walking into the North Stand it was the amazing place I'd ever been to, the most amazing feeling of belonging to something that was vey special

I may have been spoilt by watching that team and that era

[Post edited 15 Apr 2018 12:00]

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:50 - Apr 15 with 3177 viewsWeirdFishes

You’ll do well to better mine.

Town 8 - 1 Avenir Beggen.

It’s been a slow decline since then.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2018 15:50]

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:57 - Apr 15 with 3150 viewsbluehook

Town v Burnley 1961-62 season.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 16:00 - Apr 15 with 3148 viewsVic

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:19 - Apr 15 by longtimefan

Probably Sept 1971. Town won 2-1 (Hill, Belfitt- Dougan) in a game that I believe was Rod Belfitt’s debut. As a birthday treat, I was in the recently opened, what was then called the New Stand, nowadays the Cobbold.

Be about right, but had in my mind it was 1970, with the old west stand and was a draw. It’s a long time ago and memories play tricks. Have tried to find out the scorers in that seasons game but have come up with a blank.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 16:12 - Apr 15 with 3136 viewsfloridablue

Sheffield Wednesday, night game 1961/62 Championship winning season. 7 years old and allowed to go along with a family friend. Ended up becoming separated after i had to go through a childrens turnstile and wait for him inside North Stand end. He 'found' me after at the Police Station down the side of the Town Hall and i'm guessing it was announced over the tannoy where i'd be.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 16:33 - Apr 15 with 3112 viewsPJH

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:57 - Apr 15 by bluehook

Town v Burnley 1961-62 season.

That was a good one to start with.
We won 6-2 with all five forwards scoring, a great night at the start of what became a wonderful season.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 16:44 - Apr 15 with 3092 viewsNthsuffolkblue

20 Aug 1985 I reckon.

Certainly was Man Utd at Portman Road. We lost 1-0 Bryan Robson with a shot through a crowded area. I remember someone nearby shouted offside so I joined in.

According to Sky, though, it would be Town 1 Villa 1 at Portman Road 15 August 1992 Gavin Johnson scoring our first ever goal in the Premier League. Apparently according to the record books Dalian Atkinson got their goal although I can't quite recall it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 16:45 - Apr 15 with 3093 viewsSuperfrans

Ipswich 1 Manchester City 0, October 23 1976.

Four games into a run of 6 successive wins and a 16 game unbeaten run. We didn’t lose again until mid-January.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 16:54 - Apr 15 with 3081 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:42 - Apr 15 by yorkshire

See I am struggling to pin point exactly when my first game was - from what I remember it was against Man City in the late 80s and we lost 2-1 and Mick Stockwell got sent off - but I can find no record of that at all so the mind is playing tricks on me

Stockwell used to be my favourite player. I can't recall him ever being sent off. According to the records I can find he only got 2 yellow cards (1 in the Premier League and 1 in the FA Cup). However, I can only find Prem and FA Cup stats.

I can remember him playing up front with David Lowe at Leicester and (if I recall correctly), both scoring in a 2-2 draw.

EDIT: According to Wiki his debut was 1982.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2018 17:00]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 17:03 - Apr 15 with 3066 viewsbluejake78

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 13:17 - Apr 15 by Keno

gee thanks!!

I'll take that as a compliment

Thats Leeds game was some day!!

0-0
1-1
0-0
3-2 Woods with a curler
Clive cheatiing scum in the semi's...i hate that scum....i will dance on his grave.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 17:06 - Apr 15 with 3061 viewsParisBlue

First game live was away at Crystal Palace in November 1986. Kevin Wilson hat-trick and we conceded a last minute goal to draw 3-3. Nothing changes.

First game at Portman Road was vs Derby the following April. We lost 2-0 (in the days when Derby won games in April), Mark Brennan took a terrible penalty and fans were calling for the manager to be sacked and replaced with Mick Mills.

I grew up in Sussex and have no real reason to have chosen ITFC as my football team. I often wonder how I got caught up in all of this...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 17:20 - Apr 15 with 3047 viewstiptreeblue

December 29th 1969 Ipswich 0 Spurs 1. last game in the 60`s, i was just 12 and as my dad couldn`t afford to get to many games it was a while until i went again. i was hooked though
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 17:39 - Apr 15 with 3021 viewsKeno

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 17:03 - Apr 15 by bluejake78

0-0
1-1
0-0
3-2 Woods with a curler
Clive cheatiing scum in the semi's...i hate that scum....i will dance on his grave.

Even Jimmy ** cough w4nker** Hill said we were robbed

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 17:40 - Apr 15 with 3018 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Home to Villa in 94/95

Chris Swailes scored the winner in the last minute. In the wrong net, obviously

I was hooked

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 17:56 - Apr 15 with 3005 viewsSkuse4ballondor

Ipswich 0-0 Leicester 2009. From what I can remember it was very boring.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:05 - Apr 15 with 2988 viewsbluehook

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 16:33 - Apr 15 by PJH

That was a good one to start with.
We won 6-2 with all five forwards scoring, a great night at the start of what became a wonderful season.

A real cracker as a first game. I went with my uncle, as my Dad was working.
We were staying at my Aunts on a trip from our home in London.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:05 - Apr 15 with 2984 viewsRadlett_blue

January 1970, Town 0 Man U 1, FA Cup 3rd round. Last minute Mick McNeil o.g. Seeing George Best play in the flesh was exciting for a 12 year old.
First game I attended on my own was also at home to Man U in December 1971, a 0-0 draw.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:09 - Apr 15 with 2980 viewsbilllm

Think it was 71/2 man utd we lost 1-0 pretty sure
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:09 - Apr 15 with 2979 viewsPJH

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:05 - Apr 15 by bluehook

A real cracker as a first game. I went with my uncle, as my Dad was working.
We were staying at my Aunts on a trip from our home in London.

Looking back over the years I do not think you could really pick a better "first ever ITFC game" unless it was at home to Villa at the end of that season.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:11 - Apr 15 with 2975 viewsbariotneblue

1993-94 home game v Man City

Linighan and Guentchev scores for us

Paul Walsh and Uwe Rösler for City.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:35 - Apr 15 with 2954 viewslongtimefan

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 16:00 - Apr 15 by Vic

Be about right, but had in my mind it was 1970, with the old west stand and was a draw. It’s a long time ago and memories play tricks. Have tried to find out the scorers in that seasons game but have come up with a blank.

Wolves 1970/71 was a Tuesday night game. Town lost 2-3 with Viljeon (2) scoring for Town and Curran(2) and Gould for Wolves. Wagstaff played that game but Dougan didn’t.
In 1972/73 Town also won 2-1 (Whymark, Morris) with Richards scoring for Wolves. Both Dougan and Wagstaff played that game. That was also the season we won the Texaco Cup and we beat Wolves in the the home leg of the second round 2-1 (Lambert, Belfitt) with Richards scoring for Wolves again. Neither Dougan or Wagstaff played that game.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:39 - Apr 15 with 2947 viewslongtimefan

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:35 - Apr 15 by longtimefan

Wolves 1970/71 was a Tuesday night game. Town lost 2-3 with Viljeon (2) scoring for Town and Curran(2) and Gould for Wolves. Wagstaff played that game but Dougan didn’t.
In 1972/73 Town also won 2-1 (Whymark, Morris) with Richards scoring for Wolves. Both Dougan and Wagstaff played that game. That was also the season we won the Texaco Cup and we beat Wolves in the the home leg of the second round 2-1 (Lambert, Belfitt) with Richards scoring for Wolves again. Neither Dougan or Wagstaff played that game.

Just seen 1969/70 match was a draw. Another Tuesday night game that ended 1-1 with Viljeon and Dougan scoring. Wagstaff was also playing that game so it probably fits your recollection best.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:39 - Apr 15 with 2945 viewsyorkshire

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 16:54 - Apr 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

Stockwell used to be my favourite player. I can't recall him ever being sent off. According to the records I can find he only got 2 yellow cards (1 in the Premier League and 1 in the FA Cup). However, I can only find Prem and FA Cup stats.

I can remember him playing up front with David Lowe at Leicester and (if I recall correctly), both scoring in a 2-2 draw.

EDIT: According to Wiki his debut was 1982.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2018 17:00]

Yes, I couldn't find a sending off for him either - getting old I think

Funnily enough that Leicester game was my first ever away game
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:47 - Apr 15 with 2937 viewsTractorchef

0-0 vs Liverpool in the FA cup 1992, was stood in the churchmans.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:48 - Apr 15 with 2937 viewsTractorgirlforever

Mine was an away trip evening match at nottingham forest..i think it was around 1981 or 82..it was 1-1..and i think it was a kevin ocallaghan goal?..i went with my aunt uncle and gran and i shouted so much i lost my voice for a week after that!..great days but i still love going to games just as much now
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:56 - Apr 15 with 2927 viewsyorkshire

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:47 - Apr 15 by Tractorchef

0-0 vs Liverpool in the FA cup 1992, was stood in the churchmans.

That was the first time I got to stand in the North Stand - remember queuing for tickets (in the freezing cold) for about 2-3 hours - Johnie Wark hit the bar
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024