Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was the first Town game you saw live? 11:48 - Apr 15 with 26518 viewsKeno

I'm feeling a little melancholy so lets all take a trip down memory lane

Me

August 1974 Ipswich 2 Burnley 0

Walking into the North Stand it was the amazing place I'd ever been to, the most amazing feeling of belonging to something that was vey special

I may have been spoilt by watching that team and that era

[Post edited 15 Apr 2018 12:00]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 12:29 - Apr 15 with 3303 viewsleitrimblue

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 12:17 - Apr 15 by trueblue1970

Cant remember the actual game but started going with my dad & granddad in 1976

I can remember carrying my milk crate to stand on and getting there early so we could get our spot in churchman's just behind the goal next to the barrier

The European nights queuing outside of churchman's hours before kick off

TWTD

Similar to this. First went with a lot of older family members in mid 70,s, then with milk crate in hand for the next few years
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 12:54 - Apr 15 with 3270 viewstrncbluearmy

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 12:29 - Apr 15 by leitrimblue

Similar to this. First went with a lot of older family members in mid 70,s, then with milk crate in hand for the next few years

April 1969 v swfc won 2-0,milk crate on half way line opposite dugout.
Dad, Mum, Uncle and his dodgy mates ,fascinated by the noise from the Northstand, was a few years before I got in there without family.

What an adventure it was all to be

COYB
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 13:03 - Apr 15 with 3258 viewsbristolblue

FA Cup v Grimsby in 1993 I think.
Guentchev hattrick 4-0.
Still got the programme somewhere!
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 13:05 - Apr 15 with 3253 viewsMJallday

Ipswich vs Walsall in about 1987

We won 3-2

I was about 9 and There was a racist man behind me shouting words I’d never heard before

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 13:06 - Apr 15 with 3249 viewsbluejake78

October 1970 Towen 2 Stoke 0
Travelling from Bury there was a bottle neck in Stowmarket ....no A14/45 in those days.
Hook,line and sinker
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 13:07 - Apr 15 with 3250 viewsIllinoisblue

Luton at home. March 1984

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 13:07 - Apr 15 with 3251 viewsFtnfwest

I always had you down as a strip of a young thing! The big one v Leeds in the cup March 1975
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 13:10 - Apr 15 with 3247 viewslongtimefan

First ever first team match was 19th Sept 1970 Ipswich v Man Utd.
Ipswich won 4-0 with goals by Viljeon (2), Whymark and Clarke.
Went in the East Stand with my Mum - my Dad insisted on going on his own in his normal place in Churchmans. As it was so packed they let children sit on the touch line so they could see. Was a few feet away from the likes of George Best, Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and Nobby Stiles. Happy days!
Login to get fewer ads

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 13:17 - Apr 15 with 3234 viewsKeno

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 13:07 - Apr 15 by Ftnfwest

I always had you down as a strip of a young thing! The big one v Leeds in the cup March 1975

gee thanks!!

I'll take that as a compliment

Thats Leeds game was some day!!

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 13:17 - Apr 15 with 3233 viewstrncbluearmy

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 13:10 - Apr 15 by longtimefan

First ever first team match was 19th Sept 1970 Ipswich v Man Utd.
Ipswich won 4-0 with goals by Viljeon (2), Whymark and Clarke.
Went in the East Stand with my Mum - my Dad insisted on going on his own in his normal place in Churchmans. As it was so packed they let children sit on the touch line so they could see. Was a few feet away from the likes of George Best, Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and Nobby Stiles. Happy days!

and there were many more happy days to come for us.

I do admire the loyalty of those that missed out, they must get sick to death of us fossils chatting about the good old days,but if ME gets it right this time who knows what the future holds.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 13:28 - Apr 15 with 3218 viewslongtimefan

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 12:54 - Apr 15 by trncbluearmy

April 1969 v swfc won 2-0,milk crate on half way line opposite dugout.
Dad, Mum, Uncle and his dodgy mates ,fascinated by the noise from the Northstand, was a few years before I got in there without family.

What an adventure it was all to be

COYB

Was in a similar position for my first game. I’d been going to all the reserve matches for a few years with crowds of a couple of 100. Just the shear numbers and noise of that first, first team match was quite overwhelming at the time. Really set alight a lifetimes passion!
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 14:07 - Apr 15 with 3182 viewsjudespiveyg

Ipswich 3-2 Coventry in 2010. Stern John of all people scored the first Ipswich goal I ever saw.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 14:08 - Apr 15 with 3178 viewspoppiesman

Boxing Day 1972.
A 3-0 home win over Chelsea. My Dad took me.
Coincidently my Dad and I went to our last ever Ipswich home game together last season and that was a 3-0 win over Wigan.
I still have the match tickets and programmes from both games.
Admission was 15p in the 1972. and £35 in 2017.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 14:14 - Apr 15 with 3168 viewsBluespeed225

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 12:07 - Apr 15 by kentishblue

Ipswich 1 Arsenal 0 in Nov 83. Think Mark Brennan scored the winner.

Remember it well, first nephew was born early hours, I had a Vespa delivered about 10am from Andy Moore’s in Felixstowe Road, went into Town and got into a bit with some Arsenal between Willis and Greyfriars! Busy day, couldn’t have been happier! It always gets brought up at family do’s!
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 14:16 - Apr 15 with 3162 viewsazuremerlangus

No sure exactly sure but one of the first was from the 79/80 season. v Wolves, Butcher scored with a header. Checking the stats that was the last match of the 1970's at Portman Rd.

Went on my own as my Dad hated football and I couldn't afford to pay to get in, but hose days the turnstiles were opened up at half time so I'd get in for free.

First away was Norwich 1985. I went with a budgie mate of mine so had to sit with the home fans. We won 2-1 that day and I couldn't celebrate after the match either as I was staying in Norwich for a plss up. But my best memory of that day was the latest Fiat cars being driven around the touch-line before the match. One of them was a Fiat Regatta - they looked rubbish even then!

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 14:17 - Apr 15 with 3160 viewsBluespeed225

Sheff Utd, April 72’. Mates Dad took us for 7th birthday. 0-0, at front of east stand. Love affair begins.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 14:24 - Apr 15 with 3152 viewsAJblue

6th May 1978 First live game We won 1-0 against Arsenal ;-)

First game at Portman Rd Town 4 - 1 Sunderland 1981 Mariner 2 Muhren 1 thijssen 1....What a team that was.....TWTD

Crecy

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 14:25 - Apr 15 with 3150 viewsgainsboroughblue

1980. Ipswich v Brighton. Think we won 2-0

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 14:25 - Apr 15 with 3150 viewshowdonblue

Town vs Newcastle

March 15th 1975

Town won 5-4
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:04 - Apr 15 with 3137 viewsVic

First game I ever saw live was a friendly at Bury Town in their old Kings Road ground. Can’t remember much but Frank Brogan and Ray Crawford were playing and I think David Best was in goal.

First proper game was against Wolves at Portman Road - all I can remember is that Dave Wagstaffe played for them and Derek Dougan scored.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:19 - Apr 15 with 3118 viewslongtimefan

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:04 - Apr 15 by Vic

First game I ever saw live was a friendly at Bury Town in their old Kings Road ground. Can’t remember much but Frank Brogan and Ray Crawford were playing and I think David Best was in goal.

First proper game was against Wolves at Portman Road - all I can remember is that Dave Wagstaffe played for them and Derek Dougan scored.

Probably Sept 1971. Town won 2-1 (Hill, Belfitt- Dougan) in a game that I believe was Rod Belfitt’s debut. As a birthday treat, I was in the recently opened, what was then called the New Stand, nowadays the Cobbold.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:34 - Apr 15 with 3111 viewsfactual_blue

I think it was against Brum in 1972. Early part of the season. I know we won. I sat in the old West Stand with my uncle, then a ST holder.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:38 - Apr 15 with 3106 viewsnoggin

Ipswich 3 Derby 0 in about 1974, I think.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:42 - Apr 15 with 3101 viewsyorkshire

See I am struggling to pin point exactly when my first game was - from what I remember it was against Man City in the late 80s and we lost 2-1 and Mick Stockwell got sent off - but I can find no record of that at all so the mind is playing tricks on me
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:43 - Apr 15 with 3100 viewsandytown

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 15:38 - Apr 15 by noggin

Ipswich 3 Derby 0 in about 1974, I think.

Ipswich 2 Charlton 0
FA cup fifth? Round 1981
Wark and Mariner? If memory serves
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024