Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal 12:24 - May 19 with 36263 viewsBrixtonBlue

nonsense. Why on earth would you hold such reverence to people more privileged than you simply by a fluke of birth and their ancestors stealing people's land?

It's more odd than religion for me.

I genuinely didn't even know the wedding was on today when I woke up.

Is it like Stockholm Syndrome or something? I just don't get it.

p.s. I'm honestly not trying to be clever/cool/an arsehole here. I really don't understand the compulsion.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:51 - May 19 with 3439 viewsfooters

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:43 - May 19 by Harry_Palmer

I think there is definitely an element of brainwashing. The royal's have a very well oiled and slick PR machine that has been fine tuned over a number of decades, imho.

At my child's school they held a party to 'celebrate the royal wedding' where they all had to wear union jack colours and sing 'patriotic songs'. I am not sure why this should form part of the national curriculum and what exactly they were supposed to be learning?

Imagine this same scene in a North Korean school, in relation to a Wedding involving members of the ruling family. People from the West would mostly view it as the clear brainwashing of young minds, to celebrate and never challenge their leaders.
[Post edited 19 May 2018 13:46]

People often forget that a hundred years ago the perception of the royal family in this country was rock-bottom. Ever since, they have become far more clever in how to market themselves to the plebs. Of course there was a blip with Diana but good old Blair was on hand to help out.

In this case, I'm each to their own really. Can't be arsed with it myself and can't see any real arguments for monarchs in this day and age but arguing about it's pointless as views just become more entrenched. With a popularity rating of +80% in the UK, I doubt they'll be going anywhere soon. Best to ignore it, or comment on the Queen's arse like Viz does.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:52 - May 19 with 3431 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:47 - May 19 by tomo

I also love Dime bars and Branson Pickle Mini Chiddars and don’t really know why. I just don’t really think about.

If that makes me brainwashed then so be it. It’s really not that bad.

Presumably you love them because they taste nice. Probably full of sugar and salt.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:53 - May 19 with 3430 viewsHennikerBlu

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:26 - May 19 by J2BLUE

The evidence is in the amount of people who say they love it but can't really explain why.

The royal family have somehow become linked with patriotism. It's also quite amusing how many people have to resort to economic arguments in response to people who question whether it's appropriate.

I find it odd that people who are enjoying it have come on to two threads clearly presenting the opposite view. No one has derailed any of the threads started by people enjoying it.

Royalty has always been linked with patriotism, they were after all the historical rulers, before the democratic concept started to take hold. Rule by the people for the people.

"For God, King and Country", that or similar has underlined many a sermon, battle cry and speech in many countries. Before the 'modern world', most people learnt what was going on at the local parish church on Sunday. Many a young man frequently marched off to war knowing little more about life than their local village.

For a continental version: "Mit Gott für König und Vaterland".
I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:54 - May 19 with 3425 viewsRyorry

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:52 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

Presumably you love them because they taste nice. Probably full of sugar and salt.

Just like Haribos re sugar content then .....

Poll: Time of the annunciation

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:55 - May 19 with 3416 viewstomo

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:48 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

I'm off the plonk. Three months on Monday!

I am, however, sat in the sunshine with an ice cold Coke Zero and not stuck indoors watching the TV. Also to be recommended!

Well that explains a lot! Congrats!

You make a good point though. My local is putting on a royal wedding (I know, they are scum of the earth) and FA Cup BBQ. I’m going to head up in bit.

Enjoy.
I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:55 - May 19 with 3413 viewsHarry_Palmer

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:46 - May 19 by Ryorry

You explain how & why people love, then you might have a legitimate point.

As far as I'm concerned, if people need a reason for, and to explain away, every fleeting moment, hour and feeling of happiness in life, then that's just incredibly sad, because you're not going to get many of them.

Edit - oh, and as for "The royal family have somehow become linked with patriotism." - that couldn't be further from the truth as far as I'm concerned.
[Post edited 19 May 2018 13:48]

Disagree on the patriotism bit, I know plenty of people who tell me they love 'queen and country' but when asked to explain why usually come up with something like ' I dunno, I just do'.
I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:02 - May 19 with 3386 viewsHarry_Palmer

The Queen certainly seems to be very happy and enjoying ones self!

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:06 - May 19 with 3374 viewsNo9

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:53 - May 19 by HennikerBlu

Royalty has always been linked with patriotism, they were after all the historical rulers, before the democratic concept started to take hold. Rule by the people for the people.

"For God, King and Country", that or similar has underlined many a sermon, battle cry and speech in many countries. Before the 'modern world', most people learnt what was going on at the local parish church on Sunday. Many a young man frequently marched off to war knowing little more about life than their local village.

For a continental version: "Mit Gott für König und Vaterland".

"Mit Gott für König und Vaterland".

& after looking at history- our RF too
Login to get fewer ads

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:12 - May 19 with 3361 viewsHennikerBlu

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:06 - May 19 by No9

"Mit Gott für König und Vaterland".

& after looking at history- our RF too

Yes, the very sad irony especially when it comes to WW1.
I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:15 - May 19 with 3351 viewsNo9

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:12 - May 19 by HennikerBlu

Yes, the very sad irony especially when it comes to WW1.

Schleswig Holstein & Denmark?
I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:23 - May 19 with 3335 viewsRyorry

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:51 - May 19 by J2BLUE

I don't want to fall out with you but you can't seem to answer any of my points.

I've posted several times answering your points, you just don't agree with them! No problem with that of course.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:28 - May 19 with 3324 viewsHennikerBlu

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:15 - May 19 by No9

Schleswig Holstein & Denmark?

Saxe-Coburg-Gotha...

And you cant beat a slice of Battenburg, to go with a pint of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glūcksburg.

Its Bloomin' complicated these royal marriages
[Post edited 19 May 2018 14:30]
I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:35 - May 19 with 3304 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 12:50 - May 19 by WD19

You can relax. Low ball estimates have it generating over £120m for the economy, so we should be well covered.

And the tax on that would be less than the £30 M it has cost then.... I'm not worrying though as the money tree will deal with the short fall.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:41 - May 19 with 3286 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:54 - May 19 by Ryorry

Just like Haribos re sugar content then .....

Not as per my latest ad!

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:52 - May 19 with 3276 viewslowhouseblue

people are different. why does it worry you that other people enjoy it?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:53 - May 19 with 3273 viewshorsehollerer

Because for a brief couple of hours, love, happiness and positivity rose above hatred, anguish and despair. You don't have to be a royalist to enjoy the reprieve.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:55 - May 19 with 3264 viewsBloomBlue

I'm genuinely baffled why people don't like it.
I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:58 - May 19 with 3254 viewsbrazil1982

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:55 - May 19 by BloomBlue

Generally because they don't feel patriotic. Same people who don't support England at the WC.
I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:59 - May 19 with 3246 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:52 - May 19 by lowhouseblue

people are different. why does it worry you that other people enjoy it?

Where have I said it worries me?

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:59 - May 19 with 3251 viewsitfcjoe

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:45 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

So you're admitting you've been sucked in by the cult of celebrity?

Did you also wail and throw flowers at Diana's funeral?

Listen to yourself. This is madness!

No, but surely it’s obvious that when someone has had their life lived so publicly that it’s more interesting to me than other weddings? Especially when they seem a likeable bloke who has had to go through some resl ups and downs.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 15:00 - May 19 with 3239 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:58 - May 19 by brazil1982

Generally because they don't feel patriotic. Same people who don't support England at the WC.

Utter nonsense.

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 15:01 - May 19 with 3236 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:55 - May 19 by BloomBlue

I think I and several others have explained in this thread and others why we don't like it, so I'm genuinely baffled as to why you're genuinely baffled.

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 15:03 - May 19 with 3232 viewsbrazil1982

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 15:00 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

Utter nonsense.

Touched the nerve there?
I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 15:07 - May 19 with 3220 viewslowhouseblue

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 14:59 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

Where have I said it worries me?

"I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal nonsense"

you were clearly concerned enough to post that. or did someone else post it? or does 'worried' not have it's standard meaning in dolly world?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 15:11 - May 19 with 3202 viewsBerlinBlue

I'm genuinely baffled as to why so many people are fawning over this royal on 13:03 - May 19 by Harry_Palmer

That's all it is though, a great big spectacle, all for show.

How about showing the World the homeless people who were conveniently moved out of the way so as not to 'spoil appearances' or the homeless charity bus that has been impounded for reasons best known to the idiots who made the decision.

If that is 'British values' then I want no part in it, thanks.
[Post edited 19 May 2018 13:06]

Sweeping the "undesirables" under the carpet doesn't sit well with me either. This wedding is a celebration with the people after all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024