Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Young Ones 15:20 - May 23 with 11009 viewsJ2BLUE

As a huge fan of Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson I finally sat down to watch this the other day. I hate to say it but it was pure sh1te. I really thought it was going to be a classic but it was incredibly difficult to maintain interest.

Is it worth watching series two?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Young Ones on 15:22 - May 23 with 5454 viewsSpruceMoose

Luckily, thanks to your openness about your cooking beliefs, and your disastrous reasoning which led to your EU referendum vote, we can safely disregard all of your opinions.

If you say one more bad word about those two wjk will be round to wash your mouth out.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The Young Ones on 15:25 - May 23 with 5433 viewsbluewein

"As a huge fan of Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson..."

I don't think you're as big a fan as you make out...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

The Young Ones on 15:27 - May 23 with 5430 viewsJ2BLUE

The Young Ones on 15:25 - May 23 by bluewein

"As a huge fan of Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson..."

I don't think you're as big a fan as you make out...

Their other work is excellent. This...wasn't.

Truly impaired.

The Young Ones on 15:28 - May 23 with 5411 viewsSpruceMoose

The Young Ones on 15:27 - May 23 by J2BLUE

Guess you're a big fan of the Guest House Paradiso era, right?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The Young Ones on 15:28 - May 23 with 5413 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

It hasn't aged well, but to call it anything other than funny is outrageous.
The Young Ones on 15:33 - May 23 with 5370 viewsJ2BLUE

The Young Ones on 15:28 - May 23 by SpruceMoose

Guess you're a big fan of the Guest House Paradiso era, right?

That was ok, nothing special. Love the Bottom live shows/tv show though. Great in Blackadder. Saw Mayall in something else at the Regent where he was excellent as well.

I shall rewatch the first episode of series 1...

Truly impaired.

The Young Ones on 15:35 - May 23 with 5357 viewsJohnny_Boy

I think you need to revisit it in the context of time. Like others have said, it hasn't aged well, but neither has the majority of Monty Pythons TV stuff.

The bands that played on the show were the most defining moments. IIRC - Squeeze, Motorhead, The Damned, were Madness on there(?!)

The Universally Challenged episode is still good.
The Young Ones on 15:40 - May 23 with 5324 viewsbluewein

The Young Ones on 15:35 - May 23 by Johnny_Boy

I think you need to revisit it in the context of time. Like others have said, it hasn't aged well, but neither has the majority of Monty Pythons TV stuff.

The bands that played on the show were the most defining moments. IIRC - Squeeze, Motorhead, The Damned, were Madness on there(?!)

Madness were on there twice.

Login to get fewer ads

The Young Ones on 15:44 - May 23 with 5306 viewsimsureazzure

9 Below Zero were one of the best.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xoh05z
The Young Ones on 15:44 - May 23 with 5296 viewsJ2BLUE

Well in my defense that was 5 years before I was born.

Truly impaired.

The Young Ones on 15:53 - May 23 with 5251 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Filthy, Rich & Catflap you mean?
The Young Ones on 15:53 - May 23 with 5244 viewschicoazul

This is without a doubt the worst thing you have ever said.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Young Ones on 15:58 - May 23 with 5224 viewsSWGF

Mr Jolly Lives Next Door?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

The Young Ones on 16:04 - May 23 with 5197 viewschicoazul

The Young Ones on 15:58 - May 23 by SWGF

GET SOME GIN

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Young Ones on 16:05 - May 23 with 5188 viewsbluewein

The Young Ones on 15:53 - May 23 by FrowsyArmLarry

Even that had it's moments...

The Young Ones on 16:09 - May 23 with 5166 viewsghostofescobar

You are so borjoysee.

GhostOfEscobar

The Young Ones on 16:09 - May 23 with 5161 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I doubt it. I would avoid Bottom too.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The Young Ones on 16:10 - May 23 with 5149 viewspoppiesman

And for fans of The Young Ones.
There's a series starting this Saturday on UK GOLD at 9.30pm, its a documentary detailing all the episodes etc of The Young Ones.
Think it was first broadcasted on BBC a few years ago.
The Young Ones on 16:10 - May 23 with 5149 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The Young Ones on 16:04 - May 23 by chicoazul

GET SOME GIN

I don’t care if you’re Bob Monkhouse, fcuk off
The Young Ones on 16:14 - May 23 with 5126 viewsJohnny_Boy

The Young Ones on 15:44 - May 23 by J2BLUE

The glut of endless digital channels (Uk Gold, Yesterday, etc) from the late 90s to mid 2000s used to show rerun episodes of The Young Ones practically all the time. Even the BBC reran them late Friday nights.

Less structured & more anarchic. Wasn't to everyone's taste at the time, let alone in 2018.

Check out The Comic Strip stuff. Mr Jolly Lives Next Door is another Mayall & Edmondson episode....with added Peter Cook & Nicholas bloody Parsons.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 16:16]
The Young Ones on 16:17 - May 23 with 5097 viewsJohnny_Boy

The Young Ones on 15:58 - May 23 by SWGF

"What's that tattooed on your forehead?"
[Post edited 23 May 2018 16:18]
The Young Ones on 16:28 - May 23 with 5064 viewsconnorscontract

The Young Ones on 15:53 - May 23 by FrowsyArmLarry

Happy Families?

He has a point. The Young Ones is a combination of talents thrown at a budget and studio time. And some of those talents were incredibly narcissistic egotists: Mayall, Sayle and Elton.

For most of the people involved it was their first major project (writers and performers). It was an attempt to capture the energy and attitude of Alternative Comedy as it emerged from The Comedy Store and Comic Strip.

Some of it is brilliant, some of it is puerile, some of it is self-indulgent, but it is all ground-breaking and different from what went before.

Neil is a character of genuine depth and pathos, you can tell that Planer is the actor amongst them, whereas at this point in their careers Mayall and Edmondson are only capable of fairly two-dimensional (though sometimes very funny) characterisation. Alexei Sayle sometimes extended his range to a second dimension...

It hugely amused me at the time, but then I was 11. It's not so good on second viewing years later, but has many genius moments (Sayle as a Gameshow host/Executioner in a surreal medieval sequence comes to mind).

Without it there is no Blackadder 2: Elton was drafted in to replace Atkinson as writer on the back of his work on The Young Ones, and drafts in regulars from Saturday Night Live over the coming series'.

The influence of The Young Ones can be seen very clearly in the much more stripped down and tighter "Sean's Show" only a few years later: breaking of the fourth wall, messing with time structures, surreal flights of fancy, meandering red herrings, and mostly focused in a squalid flat.

So, in summary, The Young Ones was where something new, different, energetic and hit and miss happened. It was funny at the time, less so later, but led onto some great work of lasting value from its writers and cast, and equally importantly inspired much that followed it.

The genuine undervalued comedy influencer of the era is the Channel 4 sketch show "Who Dares Wins". From it you have Baldrick's career launched, and McGrath and Mulville who go on to form Hattrick productions and created many of the next generation of British TV comedy programmes.

The real hidden story of The Young Ones is that of Paul Jackson. He went on to produce just about everything great in BBC comedy. Anything new or genre-busting, he was involved. And he learned that more on The Young Ones than anywhere else.
The Young Ones on 17:35 - May 23 with 4969 viewsSWGF

The Young Ones on 16:17 - May 23 by Johnny_Boy

"What's that tattooed on your forehead?"
[Post edited 23 May 2018 16:18]

I BEEN UOT WITH STEVE WHITTON

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

The Young Ones on 17:38 - May 23 with 4951 viewsHARRY10

The Young Ones on 15:44 - May 23 by J2BLUE

Was that when we used to say 'defence' ?
The Young Ones on 17:41 - May 23 with 4940 viewsJ2BLUE

The Young Ones on 17:38 - May 23 by HARRY10

Was that when we used to say 'defence' ?

I always use offence, no idea why I put offense!

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024