Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the point? 13:07 - Jun 14 with 18977 viewsStokieBlue

Totally idiotic behaviour:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/13/bunch-idiots-destroy-320000000-years-history-stup

I used to go rock climbing there years and years ago when I was in the scouts.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

What's the point? on 20:07 - Jun 14 with 2283 viewsBrixtonBlue

What's the point? on 19:57 - Jun 14 by judespiveyg

You think little kids would have the strength to push that rock.

It looked pretty precariously balanced to me, so yes.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

What's the point? on 20:07 - Jun 14 with 2277 viewsstrikalite

What's the point? on 19:57 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

I can see where you're coming from and it is annoying ...but if it was just kids messing around thinking it's 'cool' to push a big rock over and watch it smash - haven't we all done daft stuff like that when we were young, without realising the significance?

So what's the deterrent to be BB which sends a message to others that might do similar?
What's the point? on 20:10 - Jun 14 with 2274 viewsBrixtonBlue

What's the point? on 20:01 - Jun 14 by SpruceMoose

No, I missed the stage of adolescence where I went to National Trust properties and smashed stuff up. Think most folk did to be fair.

But even if you are correct, isn't the point now that they should be made to realise the significance of their actions?

You telling me you never got up to high jinks as a kid?

Maybe I'll start a thread on it.

And again - where have I said they *shouldn't* be made to realise the significance of their actions?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

What's the point? on 20:12 - Jun 14 with 2272 viewsBrixtonBlue

What's the point? on 20:03 - Jun 14 by SpruceMoose

When is vandalism on National Trust properties not a police matter, Dolly?

How can you call a rock breaking up into smaller rocks vandalism?

You'll be telling me kicking over sandcastles is a criminal offence next!

What's the point? on 20:13 - Jun 14 with 2261 viewsSpruceMoose

What's the point? on 20:10 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

You telling me you never got up to high jinks as a kid?

Maybe I'll start a thread on it.

And again - where have I said they *shouldn't* be made to realise the significance of their actions?

This isn't high jinx. It's vandalism on NT property. Which is why it is police matter. I don't understand why you can't understand that.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

What's the point? on 20:13 - Jun 14 with 2269 viewsBrixtonBlue

What's the point? on 20:07 - Jun 14 by strikalite

So what's the deterrent to be BB which sends a message to others that might do similar?

I don't know, maybe you can tell me?

What's the point? on 20:15 - Jun 14 with 2256 viewsSpruceMoose

What's the point? on 20:12 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

How can you call a rock breaking up into smaller rocks vandalism?

You'll be telling me kicking over sandcastles is a criminal offence next!

If you don't own the rock you, don't get to break the rock. It's a simple concept.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

What's the point? on 20:16 - Jun 14 with 2262 viewsBrixtonBlue

What's the point? on 20:13 - Jun 14 by SpruceMoose

This isn't high jinx. It's vandalism on NT property. Which is why it is police matter. I don't understand why you can't understand that.

It's all in the wording I guess? When you call it "vandalism on National Trust property" it sounds a lot worse than "some kids pushed a rock over".

Login to get fewer ads

What's the point? on 20:16 - Jun 14 with 2252 viewsstrikalite

What's the point? on 20:13 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

I don't know, maybe you can tell me?

Needs to be pretty tough imo, would community service cut it?
What's the point? on 20:17 - Jun 14 with 2246 viewsSpruceMoose

What's the point? on 20:16 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

It's all in the wording I guess? When you call it "vandalism on National Trust property" it sounds a lot worse than "some kids pushed a rock over".

That sounds like a defense a parent on Jeremy Kyle might use to defend their kid's behaviour!

They were probably hopped up on Haribo anyway. So, really, this is all your fault

What's the point? on 20:18 - Jun 14 with 2251 viewsHennikerBlu

What's the point? on 20:06 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

*I* seem to be overreacting!

I'm not being argumentative, I just can't see any signage in any of the pictures.

Yes I think so, I did not state any specific punishment, just that they should be held responsible. As I explained, signage is usually on the walks in.

Around the planet there are plenty of areas of natural beauty that are protected, just as much as any art object and/or historical building, often they are quite remote hence, that anyone wishing to carry out mischief has probably travelled to do so, especially, if they are not accompanied by an adult. Therefore they are probably old enough to have read signs or to have known better.

For me, objects of natural beauty are just as important to our heritage as anything made by man which are, perhaps, considered by some to be of more value.
What's the point? on 20:19 - Jun 14 with 2250 viewsBrixtonBlue

What's the point? on 20:15 - Jun 14 by SpruceMoose

If you don't own the rock you, don't get to break the rock. It's a simple concept.

Am I posting in Swahili or something?!

What's the point? on 20:20 - Jun 14 with 2241 viewsBrixtonBlue

What's the point? on 20:17 - Jun 14 by SpruceMoose

That sounds like a defense a parent on Jeremy Kyle might use to defend their kid's behaviour!

They were probably hopped up on Haribo anyway. So, really, this is all your fault

They were probably angry and violent from smoking ganga.

What's the point? on 20:20 - Jun 14 with 2238 viewsDeano69

What's the point? on 20:02 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

Jesus Christ, I didn't say you did. I was replying to the poster who said there were probably signs.

And please remember we are not talking about a monument, a building, a car. It's a rock. It's part of the planet.

Please also note I have not condoned it. I've merely said I don't see how it's a police matter.

It’s more than simply a rock. Come on, get a grip. It’s an irreplaceable feature of the planet that has been there for millions of years.

So if someone wrecked your front garden you would simply shrug your shoulders and let it go?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

What's the point? on 20:22 - Jun 14 with 2233 viewsBrixtonBlue

What's the point? on 20:20 - Jun 14 by Deano69

It’s more than simply a rock. Come on, get a grip. It’s an irreplaceable feature of the planet that has been there for millions of years.

So if someone wrecked your front garden you would simply shrug your shoulders and let it go?

How is it remotely similar to my front garden?!

And you reckon *I* need to get a grip!

What's the point? on 20:23 - Jun 14 with 2231 viewsDeano69

What's the point? on 20:22 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

You win. Congratulations.

Shakes head in despair

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

What's the point? on 20:28 - Jun 14 with 2217 viewsJ2BLUE

What's the point? on 19:57 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

I can see where you're coming from and it is annoying ...but if it was just kids messing around thinking it's 'cool' to push a big rock over and watch it smash - haven't we all done daft stuff like that when we were young, without realising the significance?

If we don't punish things like this then people will never learn to think about the consequences. Ignorance is no excuse when you do something like this.

Given the historical significance i'd happily see them jailed to be honest. Sue me.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What's the point? on 20:32 - Jun 14 with 2204 viewsJ2BLUE

What's the point? on 20:22 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

Yea your garden is way more important than this dumb rock...

Jesus.

Truly impaired.

What's the point? on 20:33 - Jun 14 with 2198 viewsBrixtonBlue

What's the point? on 20:28 - Jun 14 by J2BLUE

If we don't punish things like this then people will never learn to think about the consequences. Ignorance is no excuse when you do something like this.

Given the historical significance i'd happily see them jailed to be honest. Sue me.

I think ignorance *is* an excuse when it's children.

I also think jail is OTT.

I would like to reiterate I do not condone this behaviour.

What's the point? on 20:36 - Jun 14 with 2182 viewsJ2BLUE

What's the point? on 20:33 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

I think ignorance *is* an excuse when it's children.

I also think jail is OTT.

I would like to reiterate I do not condone this behaviour.

Would you punish them at all? Or give them a slap on the wrist and let them get away with it?

Truly impaired.

What's the point? on 20:53 - Jun 14 with 2142 viewsm14_blue

What's the point? on 20:16 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

Would you feel the same way if it was Stonehenge?

I'm not one of the hang, draw and quarter brigade but these youths are obviously idiots who need a lesson in respecting their surroundings and fellow man.

And no, I don't mean jail.
What's the point? on 20:54 - Jun 14 with 2134 viewsBrixtonBlue

What's the point? on 20:32 - Jun 14 by J2BLUE

Yea your garden is way more important than this dumb rock...

Jesus.

My garden is my private property. This rock is one of loads scattered all over that area, which everyone is free to wander across.

Anyway, I've said my bit. We just disagree.

What's the point? on 21:03 - Jun 14 with 2112 viewsBrixtonBlue

What's the point? on 20:53 - Jun 14 by m14_blue

Would you feel the same way if it was Stonehenge?

I'm not one of the hang, draw and quarter brigade but these youths are obviously idiots who need a lesson in respecting their surroundings and fellow man.

And no, I don't mean jail.

No of course i wouldn't feel the same about Stonehenge. Stonehenge is a monument built by people out of rock that came from hundreds of miles away (which is therefore amazing for the time).

This rock is a naturally occurring one. And there are lots of them.

I am with you, probably. I'm not one of the hang, draw and quarter brigade but I agree that these youths need a lesson in respecting their surroundings and fellow man.

I'm not sure what the punishment should be but I disagree with J2 that it should be a jail term for pushing a rock over.

What's the point? on 21:04 - Jun 14 with 2111 viewsKeno

bet they were on drugs, probably stoned

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What's the point? on 21:06 - Jun 14 with 2100 viewsm14_blue

What's the point? on 21:03 - Jun 14 by BrixtonBlue

No of course i wouldn't feel the same about Stonehenge. Stonehenge is a monument built by people out of rock that came from hundreds of miles away (which is therefore amazing for the time).

This rock is a naturally occurring one. And there are lots of them.

I am with you, probably. I'm not one of the hang, draw and quarter brigade but I agree that these youths need a lesson in respecting their surroundings and fellow man.

I'm not sure what the punishment should be but I disagree with J2 that it should be a jail term for pushing a rock over.

I would have thought a few weekends and evenings spent helping out at National Trust sites (litter picking, fixing walls etc) would be appropriate.

Perhaps with someone with them to explain why these sites are important.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024