Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why would we sell for less than 15m? 14:10 - Jul 19 with 4215 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Whether he’s worth that or not, it’s extrenely unlikely that 5m/7m will get us a better striker with only 16 days until the season starts.

He’s worth so much more to us than a poxy five million. He’s our main creative threat and top goalscorer.

Selling him would be foolish for that money

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:12 - Jul 19 with 3065 viewsFrimleyBlue

If he wants to go, you've got to manage it carefully

Unhappy player kept at a club can lead to problems. We paid £200k For him, anything over £4Milll realistically is a solid return on 1 good season

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:13 - Jul 19 with 3064 viewsmaccyd9

Why is it extremely unlikely?

He only cost us £200k 12 months ago. Unless Mick was the only manager with the ability to sign players for cheap and get something more from them then it's entirely possible.

Our best 3 strikers in recent times in Murp, Didz and Waghorn cost a combined £200k.
Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:17 - Jul 19 with 3033 viewsITFC_Forever

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:12 - Jul 19 by FrimleyBlue

Unhappy player kept at a club can lead to problems. We paid £200k For him, anything over £4Milll realistically is a solid return on 1 good season

Who says he wants to go?

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:18 - Jul 19 with 3015 viewsTheBlueBarca

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:13 - Jul 19 by maccyd9

He only cost us £200k 12 months ago. Unless Mick was the only manager with the ability to sign players for cheap and get something more from them then it's entirely possible.

Our best 3 strikers in recent times in Murp, Didz and Waghorn cost a combined £200k.

Because when we have replaced players since they've been guff broadly speaking.

Mings - Knudsen
Murphy - Leon Best
Berra ans Smith - No one (and still no one)

Hardly inspiring that, and we've proven to be utterly useless at signing targets before deadlines and have to get make shift loans in. What happens if Chambers or the new Chelsea lad gets injured at the back? Without Waghorn, what are we left with, Garner? Sears?

So yeah, we're very weak.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:19 - Jul 19 with 3021 viewsGuthrum

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:12 - Jul 19 by FrimleyBlue

Except that the financial transaction is not the be-all and end-all of the situation. We would be losing one of our better players from the squad, with no guarantee he could be adequately replaced even at that money. Might knacker our chances of staying up, let alone promotion.

Personally (as with Bialkowski even before he signed the new contract), I'd rather have use of the player than the money.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:20 - Jul 19 with 3009 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:13 - Jul 19 by maccyd9

It’s possible.

But it’s clearly very very very hard to do. To find a striker who will score more than 16 goals and get more than 11 assists for a few million with 16 Days left is asking a lot.

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:20 - Jul 19 with 3005 viewsFrimleyBlue

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:17 - Jul 19 by ITFC_Forever

Who says he wants to go?

I didn't, I said if

The club could sit and say no to everything as they may feel waghorn is priceless in the grand scheme and only a ridiculous double figured Mill fee would temp them.

but if waghorn does say he'd like to talk, the club then have to rethink where the line is, because if you hold out for too much and the move dies, but waghorn wants to go, you'll end up with 0 and an unhappy player

Waka waka eh eh

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:21 - Jul 19 with 2999 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:19 - Jul 19 by Guthrum

Except that the financial transaction is not the be-all and end-all of the situation. We would be losing one of our better players from the squad, with no guarantee he could be adequately replaced even at that money. Might knacker our chances of staying up, let alone promotion.

Personally (as with Bialkowski even before he signed the new contract), I'd rather have use of the player than the money.

Exactly

The money in this day and age won’t buy us a better striker

We should be asking for double figure fees at the absolute minimum

Login to get fewer ads

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:23 - Jul 19 with 2988 viewsDanFord

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:18 - Jul 19 by TheBlueBarca

Mings - Knudsen
Murphy - Leon Best

Hardly inspiring that, and we've proven to be utterly useless at signing targets before deadlines and have to get make shift loans in. What happens if Chambers or the new Chelsea lad gets injured at the back? Without Waghorn, what are we left with, Garner? Sears?

Any reason why you deliberately missed out

Cresswell - Mings
Best - Waghorn
Paul Green - Huws

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:24 - Jul 19 with 2980 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:20 - Jul 19 by FrimleyBlue

I didn't, I said if

The club could sit and say no to everything as they may feel waghorn is priceless in the grand scheme and only a ridiculous double figured Mill fee would temp them.

but if waghorn does say he'd like to talk, the club then have to rethink where the line is, because if you hold out for too much and the move dies, but waghorn wants to go, you'll end up with 0 and an unhappy player

Waggy doesn’t seem the type to throw his toys out the pram.

If he does, we tell him to stick it out for one more year on an improved contract with the promise of selling him on at the end of the season for a decent fee. But not now.

There’s 16 Days left. We ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT see our best player. The money means nothing in modern Football. The replacement would almost definitely be a downgrade on Waggy. And that’s even if he’s replaced which isn’t a certainty. It took a year to replace Murph remember.

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:25 - Jul 19 with 2975 viewsJ2BLUE

£15m?!?!

£8m and he would be gone. Probably less. We just have to trust in the plan and hope Hurst gets the money to reinvest.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:31 - Jul 19 with 2951 viewsmaccyd9

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:20 - Jul 19 by The_Romford_Blue

It’s possible.

But it’s clearly very very very hard to do. To find a striker who will score more than 16 goals and get more than 11 assists for a few million with 16 Days left is asking a lot.

Another silly point. Why are you trying to replace last years total? You're assuming that Waghorn will have another career best season. He may do, but he may not.

What's to say Edwards won't weigh in with 10 goals?

Waghorn is not prolific, at any level and never has been. Yes he had an excellent season but £7m for a player with an inconsistent goalscoring record is a lot of money.
Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:31 - Jul 19 with 2947 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:25 - Jul 19 by J2BLUE

£15m?!?!

£8m and he would be gone. Probably less. We just have to trust in the plan and hope Hurst gets the money to reinvest.

Yes. 15m.

Because that’s enough where we probably could get a replacement of his ilk AND use the remaining money to improve the team (otherwise what’s the point in selling in the first place).

8m will not buy us an equivalent to Waggy.

It just won’t.

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:32 - Jul 19 with 2937 viewsFrimleyBlue

56 goals scored in 8 years.

It won't just come down to what he's done this year.

Waka waka eh eh

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:36 - Jul 19 with 2920 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:31 - Jul 19 by maccyd9

Another silly point. Why are you trying to replace last years total? You're assuming that Waghorn will have another career best season. He may do, but he may not.

What's to say Edwards won't weigh in with 10 goals?

Waghorn is not prolific, at any level and never has been. Yes he had an excellent season but £7m for a player with an inconsistent goalscoring record is a lot of money.

I’m using last years total as, quite frankly, that’s what is most important to consider.

He was worth 27 goals to us last season. What he’s done for other teams isn’t relevant if clubs want to buy him from us.

I just can’t believe some of our fans are ok with us potentially selling our best outfield player with two weeks to go. We’ve already lost Webster and Didzys quality (though I wasn’t too fussed about the latter). Plus the loans of Connolly and CCV need to be replaced with similar quality.

I can’t think of a single striker as good as Waggy was last season that we could replace him with for the money being touted. 7m is nothing in 2018.

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:04 - Jul 19 with 2867 viewsmaccyd9

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:36 - Jul 19 by The_Romford_Blue

I’m using last years total as, quite frankly, that’s what is most important to consider.

He was worth 27 goals to us last season. What he’s done for other teams isn’t relevant if clubs want to buy him from us.

I just can’t believe some of our fans are ok with us potentially selling our best outfield player with two weeks to go. We’ve already lost Webster and Didzys quality (though I wasn’t too fussed about the latter). Plus the loans of Connolly and CCV need to be replaced with similar quality.

I can’t think of a single striker as good as Waggy was last season that we could replace him with for the money being touted. 7m is nothing in 2018.

You can't think of one, which is why you are not a manager.

It's Hurst's job to put a squad together capable of challenging. Obviously in an ideal world we would keep Waghorn but it's not an ideal world. Little point in having a decent striker if you can't keep the ball out of the net or create anything. If he's our main saleable asset left and Hurst needs to raise funds then it's a very sensible thing to do.
Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:04 - Jul 19 with 2865 viewscaptainfantastic

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:36 - Jul 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Why not take 7 mill for Waggy and sign someone like Kayden Jackson from the lower leagues who is of similar quality and costs 10% of Waggy's sale?

Poll: player of the season so far?

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:14 - Jul 19 with 2835 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:04 - Jul 19 by captainfantastic

Why not take 7 mill for Waggy and sign someone like Kayden Jackson from the lower leagues who is of similar quality and costs 10% of Waggy's sale?

Similar quality?

He’s literally never played in the Championship so you have no idea if he’s as good as Waggy or not

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:15 - Jul 19 with 2830 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:04 - Jul 19 by maccyd9

You can't think of one, which is why you are not a manager.

It's Hurst's job to put a squad together capable of challenging. Obviously in an ideal world we would keep Waghorn but it's not an ideal world. Little point in having a decent striker if you can't keep the ball out of the net or create anything. If he's our main saleable asset left and Hurst needs to raise funds then it's a very sensible thing to do.

I find it baffling that you are so happy to sell him. We need quality added not removed.

It’s quite possible that we will be in a relegation scrap this year. Selling Waggy won’t help.

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:17 - Jul 19 with 2822 viewsSpruceMoose

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 14:18 - Jul 19 by TheBlueBarca

Mings - Knudsen
Murphy - Leon Best

Out of interest, how many world cups has Mings been to?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:18 - Jul 19 with 2813 viewswkj

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:17 - Jul 19 by SpruceMoose

Out of interest, how many world cups has Mings been to?

Like penalties, World Cups don't count

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:38 - Jul 19 with 2776 viewsmaccyd9

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:15 - Jul 19 by The_Romford_Blue

I find it baffling that you are so happy to sell him. We need quality added not removed.

It’s quite possible that we will be in a relegation scrap this year. Selling Waggy won’t help.

Don't be baffled, I'm just not panicking about what if's.

Nobody knows any potential fee, nobody knows if Hurst will have a replacement lined up, nobody knows if Waghorn can repeat the best season in his career to date, nobody in any scenario will know how it would have gone had the other option been taken.

If we sell him for £7m and we sign some gem's and they score a hatful it will look like good business. If we don't sell, he stays, scores 15 goals but we concede 100 and go down it will look like bad business. What if he get's injured and we get neither the money or the player?

The best deal (before your time) in my years of supporting was when we sold Dyer. We spent that money so wisely and the whole squad improved as a result and it got us up.

It's just my view and can totally see why others wouldn't sell. Sometimes though it's about the bigger picture.
Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:40 - Jul 19 with 2766 viewsHerbivore

Rommers, would you take £14.5m for him?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:41 - Jul 19 with 2759 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:40 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

Rommers, would you take £14.5m for him?

No.

15m minimum.

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 16:16 - Jul 19 with 2705 viewsHerbivore

Why would we sell for less than 15m? on 15:41 - Jul 19 by The_Romford_Blue

No.

15m minimum.

I reckon we'd be mad to turn down £14.5m to be fair. That's almost our entire wage bill for the season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024