Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
There are lots of worrying things about the transfer 22:45 - Jul 24 with 2452 viewsJakeITFC

The fact that our divisional rivals without parachute payments can spend £8m on a player.

The fact that our divisional rivals without parachute payments can turn our players heads really easily.

The fact that it creates another hole in a thin squad.

But these are surely outweighed by the fact that we’ve got an offer of 32x what we paid for a player who has a bang average record at this level? A player who went on an absolute heater for a few months and is unlikely to repeat that? A player that was available for buttons last summer and made it all the way down to sorry Ipswich?

It’s rubbish to lose your best players, but this is surely just a sign of the madness of the transfer market that we should be lapping up?
There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:18 - Jul 25 with 2306 viewsunbelievablue

I'm rubbing my hands together.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:22 - Jul 25 with 2287 viewsportmanking

Mmm, nope. I think actually your initial three statements far, far outweigh the benefits of having another £8m to be swallowed up in loan fees, wages and 1-2 'punts'.

Our squad is getting increasingly strained year-on-year since Evans turned the tap off. But we've got a wonderful Academy full of young players that will thrive in the negative environment of a relegation battle, right?!
There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:23 - Jul 25 with 2277 viewsunbelievablue

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:22 - Jul 25 by portmanking

Mmm, nope. I think actually your initial three statements far, far outweigh the benefits of having another £8m to be swallowed up in loan fees, wages and 1-2 'punts'.

Our squad is getting increasingly strained year-on-year since Evans turned the tap off. But we've got a wonderful Academy full of young players that will thrive in the negative environment of a relegation battle, right?!

Are you not willing to give Hurst the chance to build something from 'punts' etc.?

Waghorn was a punt, and he had a career season which is so unlikely to be replicated, that £8m is a fantastic deal even if it's swallowed up in the club.

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:24 - Jul 25 with 2276 viewsBackToRussia

We'd be no doubt paying a premium on any subsequent players we bought with the "Waghorn money", but agree that in the end it's a risk worth taking. For all Waghorn did last season, it got us nowhere. Is he really worth 3 players we need in other areas? Having said that, it's similar to the Webster scenario, where some of the fee taken for the original player will need to be spent on replacing him.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:26 - Jul 25 with 2253 viewsportmanking

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:23 - Jul 25 by unbelievablue

Are you not willing to give Hurst the chance to build something from 'punts' etc.?

Waghorn was a punt, and he had a career season which is so unlikely to be replicated, that £8m is a fantastic deal even if it's swallowed up in the club.

But we're not building are we? We haven't been building/evolving a squad over a period of seasons since Magilton's squad. Since then it's been wham bam, thank you mam short-termism. There's only so many times you can keep rolling the dice.
There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:27 - Jul 25 with 2245 viewsMVBlue

Hes a decent player surely we can all see that? Why sell a decent player thats what I wonder. We are fast becoming a stepping stone. Time will tell how this pans out though, not quite flounce time.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2018 8:29]

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:41 - Jul 25 with 2214 viewsSteve_M

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:26 - Jul 25 by portmanking

But we're not building are we? We haven't been building/evolving a squad over a period of seasons since Magilton's squad. Since then it's been wham bam, thank you mam short-termism. There's only so many times you can keep rolling the dice.

That's true other than Mick's first couple of seasons I think. The other important point at the moment is the lack of time to replace Waghorn, it's less than a fortnight and we have to bring in several players now.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:53 - Jul 25 with 2170 viewsunbelievablue

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:26 - Jul 25 by portmanking

A new manager just came in. What did you expect?

Login to get fewer ads

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:57 - Jul 25 with 2146 viewsJakeITFC

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:41 - Jul 25 by Steve_M

That's true other than Mick's first couple of seasons I think. The other important point at the moment is the lack of time to replace Waghorn, it's less than a fortnight and we have to bring in several players now.

I think we are probably six players short - not that it makes it better, but a major overhaul is happening anyway.
There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 09:01 - Jul 25 with 2131 viewsSteve_M

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:57 - Jul 25 by JakeITFC

I think we are probably six players short - not that it makes it better, but a major overhaul is happening anyway.

I know. It's the main reason I haven't wanted us to sell Waghorn and have to replace him as well.

And as much as we've had to (or the manager has chosen to) rebuild most seasons that Evans has been here this looks like the greatest amount of change since the Summer of 2009. I hope we get off to a good start and get a win or to quickly.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 09:03 - Jul 25 with 2109 viewschicoazul

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:41 - Jul 25 by Steve_M

Probably already replaced Waghorn with Harrison though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 09:08 - Jul 25 with 2067 viewsJakeITFC

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 09:01 - Jul 25 by Steve_M

I know. It's the main reason I haven't wanted us to sell Waghorn and have to replace him as well.

And as much as we've had to (or the manager has chosen to) rebuild most seasons that Evans has been here this looks like the greatest amount of change since the Summer of 2009. I hope we get off to a good start and get a win or to quickly.

Yeah, we need to start well for sure.

My feeling is that Waghorn is being perceived as an absolute lock to score well for us this season when there really isn’t any guarantee of that happening any more than the player we get to replace him with.

I know that as fans transfer fees should be largely irrelevant, but I think there is a good chance that in 12 months we look back and wonder why the hell somebody thought £8m was a sensible fee to pay for him.
There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 09:08 - Jul 25 with 2063 viewsMullet

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 09:03 - Jul 25 by chicoazul

Probably already replaced Waghorn with Harrison though.

In terms of style perhaps, but in terms of numbers definitely not. We need another one now when we were short anyway.

I wonder who we will go for. There's a concerning trend of players who gave Hurst difficulty/caught the eye last season in terms of that being the limit of his scouting. We've gone from someone who had excellent contacts, respect in the game and trust in Klug.

That's not Hurst's fault at all, but he has a lot to do and let's be honest, if he can't do better than Mick this season it's a big worry as to what exactly Evans is doing and trying to do. He strikes me as a bloke with massive balls and broad shoulders, but Evans putting what he used to put on Mick is totally unfair.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 09:18 - Jul 25 with 2012 viewschicoazul

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 09:08 - Jul 25 by Mullet

In terms of style perhaps, but in terms of numbers definitely not. We need another one now when we were short anyway.

I wonder who we will go for. There's a concerning trend of players who gave Hurst difficulty/caught the eye last season in terms of that being the limit of his scouting. We've gone from someone who had excellent contacts, respect in the game and trust in Klug.

That's not Hurst's fault at all, but he has a lot to do and let's be honest, if he can't do better than Mick this season it's a big worry as to what exactly Evans is doing and trying to do. He strikes me as a bloke with massive balls and broad shoulders, but Evans putting what he used to put on Mick is totally unfair.

I agree but if Hurst wants one up top then maybe Garner Sears and Harrison is considered enough? We'll find out soon enough I suppose.
Evans told us all in his interview that nothing would change on the financials so Hurst is indeed going to have to do the job as well as Mick did.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 09:31 - Jul 25 with 1969 viewsJon_456

I don't think that's just Town, I think that's football in general.

How many squads do you see outside the premier league that can afford to keep all their players and sign more players year on year. I bet if you look at all the championship squads now compared to their squads 3 years ago, they would be quite different.
There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 10:44 - Jul 25 with 1906 viewssolemio

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 08:18 - Jul 25 by unbelievablue

I'm rubbing my hands together.

Yes, it is very cold today.
There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 10:57 - Jul 25 with 1855 viewsslump

There are lots of worrying things about the transfer on 09:18 - Jul 25 by chicoazul

I agree but if Hurst wants one up top then maybe Garner Sears and Harrison is considered enough? We'll find out soon enough I suppose.
Evans told us all in his interview that nothing would change on the financials so Hurst is indeed going to have to do the job as well as Mick did.

And doing so in a very different way seems to be giving people the willies. Which is odd because it's what the majority were asking for.

UTT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024