Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a reminder 13:30 - Jul 28 with 3075 viewsHipsterectomy

That Paul Hurst has been a huge success at every club he has ever managed.

Just thought we needed the positivity :)

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Just a reminder on 13:37 - Jul 28 with 3013 viewschicoazul

I certainly do. We are a week away form the season with 1 centre half, a bunch of walking wounded who are perennially "1 month away", and a our best player being constantly linked with a move. To say nothing of the fact Marcus has kept his word about not changing the way the financials are managed. Oh and it sounds like we are going to play a young loanee ahead of our own young players. So yes please, positivity.

I suppose we have kept Bart and Jonas so far.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Just a reminder on 14:49 - Jul 28 with 2923 viewsCurrie10

Just a reminder on 13:37 - Jul 28 by chicoazul

I certainly do. We are a week away form the season with 1 centre half, a bunch of walking wounded who are perennially "1 month away", and a our best player being constantly linked with a move. To say nothing of the fact Marcus has kept his word about not changing the way the financials are managed. Oh and it sounds like we are going to play a young loanee ahead of our own young players. So yes please, positivity.

Same boat as you.

I can't be willingly YAY happy clappy when we're in this predicament squad wise with a week to go.

I mean sure, everything COULD just click - but too many variables.

Players needed A S A P
Just a reminder on 14:53 - Jul 28 with 2904 viewsStokieBlue

Is all that true though?

Take Chalobah, which of our young players is ideally suited to play in front of the back 4? They all play a bit further forward.

On Waghorn, I agree he's our best player but are we playing to a formation or to player quality?

It seems to me that Hurst doesn't want to shoehorn players into positions which he doesn't think they can play.

It's going to be interesting. I do agree we could do with at least 2 new faces this week though and one of them has to be a centre back even though Wolf is doing well.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Just a reminder on 14:53 - Jul 28 with 2905 viewsJ2BLUE

Just a reminder on 14:49 - Jul 28 by Currie10

Same boat as you.

I can't be willingly YAY happy clappy when we're in this predicament squad wise with a week to go.

I mean sure, everything COULD just click - but too many variables.

Players needed A S A P

A decent centre half and our first 11, if everyone is fit, looks strong IMO.

Obviously everyone won't be fit, we'll probably not get a CB until the window has closed and we look at loans and we'll probably sell Waghorn 3 hours before the window closes.

Agree it's hard to be optimistic. I wonder what Hurst really thinks. To be fair, he'll probably tell us.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Just a reminder on 15:03 - Jul 28 with 2872 viewschicoazul

Just a reminder on 14:53 - Jul 28 by StokieBlue

Is all that true though?

Take Chalobah, which of our young players is ideally suited to play in front of the back 4? They all play a bit further forward.

On Waghorn, I agree he's our best player but are we playing to a formation or to player quality?

It seems to me that Hurst doesn't want to shoehorn players into positions which he doesn't think they can play.

It's going to be interesting. I do agree we could do with at least 2 new faces this week though and one of them has to be a centre back even though Wolf is doing well.

SB

That's the exact position Dozzell plays for England and did through our youth system, and was playing in when he got injured against Brum. It is also Downes' position.

How anyone can think Waghorn is somehow unsuited to playing up front in any formation you like is a mystery to me. what more does he need to do? 16 goals and 10 assists last year.

So it's all true in other words.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Just a reminder on 15:08 - Jul 28 with 2853 viewsStokieBlue

Just a reminder on 15:03 - Jul 28 by chicoazul

That's the exact position Dozzell plays for England and did through our youth system, and was playing in when he got injured against Brum. It is also Downes' position.

How anyone can think Waghorn is somehow unsuited to playing up front in any formation you like is a mystery to me. what more does he need to do? 16 goals and 10 assists last year.

So it's all true in other words.

Disagree that is where Dozzell plays but no point arguing about that.

"How anyone can think Waghorn is somehow unsuited to playing up front in any formation you like is a mystery to me. what more does he need to do? 16 goals and 10 assists last year. "

Doesn't that entirely depend on the formation? Whether you have a focal point with back to goal playing alone upfront, whether you have someone who you want to chase absolutely everything. You are basically saying Neymar scored loads last year so he's suited to playing every position and style up front - I'd argue that's not the case.

I hope he stays and fits into the system brilliantly and has a cracking season. I don't think it's all quite as clear cut as you make out though.

"So it's all true in other words."

In your mind yes, that doesn't mean it's a universal truth.

SB

Just a reminder on 15:12 - Jul 28 with 2832 viewschicoazul

Just a reminder on 15:08 - Jul 28 by StokieBlue

Disagree that is where Dozzell plays but no point arguing about that.

"How anyone can think Waghorn is somehow unsuited to playing up front in any formation you like is a mystery to me. what more does he need to do? 16 goals and 10 assists last year. "

Doesn't that entirely depend on the formation? Whether you have a focal point with back to goal playing alone upfront, whether you have someone who you want to chase absolutely everything. You are basically saying Neymar scored loads last year so he's suited to playing every position and style up front - I'd argue that's not the case.

I hope he stays and fits into the system brilliantly and has a cracking season. I don't think it's all quite as clear cut as you make out though.

"So it's all true in other words."

In your mind yes, that doesn't mean it's a universal truth.

SB

No, I am saying *Waghorn* is capable of doing that for *Ipswich*. Why can't people just read and argue with what other people say instead of coming up with this relativistic tosh?

Dozzell does play that role, he and Downes are doing it right now on one of my other tabs in fact, so youre right there is no point in arguing about that.

Just a reminder on 15:18 - Jul 28 with 2811 viewsStokieBlue

Just a reminder on 15:12 - Jul 28 by chicoazul

No, I am saying *Waghorn* is capable of doing that for *Ipswich*. Why can't people just read and argue with what other people say instead of coming up with this relativistic tosh?

Dozzell does play that role, he and Downes are doing it right now on one of my other tabs in fact, so youre right there is no point in arguing about that.

All debates are framed, my example was fine and highlighted the point you exposed with "up front in any formation you like". That's something I don't think is true thus the example.

I wouldn't say Dozzell is sitting in the Skuse fashion, he's getting much further forward. thus far this match. I do agree he is dropping back there when we don't have possession though.

That was a good goal from town.

SB

Edit: Seems I am wrong on Dozzell then - apologies.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2018 15:30]

Login to get fewer ads

Just a reminder on 15:28 - Jul 28 with 2782 viewsSimonds92

Just a reminder on 15:18 - Jul 28 by StokieBlue

All debates are framed, my example was fine and highlighted the point you exposed with "up front in any formation you like". That's something I don't think is true thus the example.

I wouldn't say Dozzell is sitting in the Skuse fashion, he's getting much further forward. thus far this match. I do agree he is dropping back there when we don't have possession though.

That was a good goal from town.

SB

Edit: Seems I am wrong on Dozzell then - apologies.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2018 15:30]

Dozzell's position is deeper lying midfielder hes even said so himself. I also kind of get your point with Waghorn but disagree he's a very versatile player and your Neymar comparison is a terrible one as he would play in every team on the planet no matter what the formation.
Just a reminder on 15:29 - Jul 28 with 2767 viewsStokieBlue

Just a reminder on 15:28 - Jul 28 by Simonds92

Dozzell's position is deeper lying midfielder hes even said so himself. I also kind of get your point with Waghorn but disagree he's a very versatile player and your Neymar comparison is a terrible one as he would play in every team on the planet no matter what the formation.

That's not what I said though was it. I said he wouldn't be suited as a number 9 with back to goal or chasing down lost causes so he wouldn't be played in that position.

Fair enough on Dozzell, seems I was wrong on this although he's clearly far more than just a stopper.

SB

Edit: Watson seems to think it's 4-1-4-1 today with Downes sitting and Dozzell further forward. It looks quite fluid to me around those positions.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2018 15:48]

Just a reminder on 16:07 - Jul 28 with 2644 viewsSimonds92

Just a reminder on 15:29 - Jul 28 by StokieBlue

That's not what I said though was it. I said he wouldn't be suited as a number 9 with back to goal or chasing down lost causes so he wouldn't be played in that position.

Fair enough on Dozzell, seems I was wrong on this although he's clearly far more than just a stopper.

SB

Edit: Watson seems to think it's 4-1-4-1 today with Downes sitting and Dozzell further forward. It looks quite fluid to me around those positions.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2018 15:48]

I thought your point was he doesnt fit Hurst's system therefore it may be worth selling him why his market value is inflated. Sorry if id interpreted that wrong, but Would you not still rather keep him and play him wider? Very effective at the start of the season playing there as he drifts inside.
Just a reminder on 16:23 - Jul 28 with 2614 viewsStokieBlue

Just a reminder on 16:07 - Jul 28 by Simonds92

I thought your point was he doesnt fit Hurst's system therefore it may be worth selling him why his market value is inflated. Sorry if id interpreted that wrong, but Would you not still rather keep him and play him wider? Very effective at the start of the season playing there as he drifts inside.

That was my point, if Hurst doesn't think he can fit him in then that would be the thing to do.

I agree playing wide could work, he would be more effective than Sears has been that is for sure and he was good doing that. I am not sure he can do the job that Harrison is doing though which is what Hurst wants.

I could easily be proven wrong :).

SB
[Post edited 28 Jul 2018 16:23]

Just a reminder on 16:45 - Jul 28 with 2532 viewscrazyblue68

He has his work cut out here then!
Just a reminder on 01:19 - Jul 29 with 2340 viewsradiogaga

Just a reminder on 14:53 - Jul 28 by StokieBlue

Is all that true though?

SB

Centre-halfs and goals are the biggest concerns currently. Woolfenden has huge potential and does not look out of place in the first team, but realistically an 18 year old is not going to play an entire/ best part of a championship season at centre half. I get the impression Hurst does not really rate Knudsen as a centre half either, and as Chalobah will be used in midfield, we are further threadbare in that position.

We don't have any central midfielders who naturally drive forward and can create a lot on their own. We still look like we'll be short of goals from midfield. Without Waghorn, you lose a lot of our threat at set pieces as well as the goals he scores. On our budget, he will take a heck of a lot to replace if he goes. With him, I think Harrison would really flourish.

I think people need to be honest about this season. We may well finish lower than last season. The important thing is that we are doing it with a young squad that are playing football that is (over time) going to help them develop and (with the right additions) can then challenge for top 6 the following year. Hurst needs time to build his own team the way he wants it but centre halfs are urgently needed.

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

Just a reminder on 05:16 - Jul 29 with 2238 viewsMrTown

Were you at the game today?

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Just a reminder on 07:19 - Jul 29 with 2113 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Quite, and the hope is he can continue to deliver that here and build something special

As it stands though he’s going to have to be something of a miracle worker - the squad is fairly threadbare and playing a few more passes on the ground won’t look so great if we’re 22nd come November. I’ve posted before that I’m worried about this season as it stands and that remains the case - hopefully we’ll get a couple more bodies in in the next week and Hurst can set about proving that he is indeed the second coming of Jesus

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Just a reminder on 07:27 - Jul 29 with 2092 viewsconnorscontract

BLUE ARRRMMMYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024