Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nolan looks the key player 11:40 - Aug 8 with 3949 viewsDarth_Koont

Certainly based on Saturday we needed someone in the centre who is most comfortable pushing forward. But who do we think will be his understudy/cover/competition?

Pronouns: He/Him

Nolan looks the key player on 11:42 - Aug 8 with 3930 viewsTractorCam

Dozzell I'd imagine, or maybe even Sears

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Nolan looks the key player on 11:43 - Aug 8 with 3910 viewsIP33

Huws when fit? I think Dozzell is suited to a deeper role.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2018 11:44]
Nolan looks the key player on 11:46 - Aug 8 with 3865 viewsTractorCam

Nolan looks the key player on 11:43 - Aug 8 by IP33

Completely forgot about Huws, too many players to keep up with!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Nolan looks the key player on 11:46 - Aug 8 with 3856 viewsDarth_Koont

Nolan looks the key player on 11:42 - Aug 8 by TractorCam

Dozzell I'd imagine, or maybe even Sears

Hmmm. That seems to be three very different players. I take the point someone can go in there (you can possibly add Ward or Nydam too) but doesn't seem like we have anyone that similar at the moment. From the little I know about him perhaps that's why Windass is being linked.

Anyway, exciting to see what emerges. Looks like being a fascinating season.

Nolan looks the key player on 11:48 - Aug 8 with 3845 viewsDarth_Koont

Ooh good call! That sounds about right.

Nolan looks the key player on 11:51 - Aug 8 with 3816 viewsCuffy81

My immediate take away from Saturday was how key that position is in Hurst's 4231

Has to be comfortable on the ball under pressure, can run with the ball and look to support the Striker - poor old Harrison had very little support on Saturday

Huws if fit?
Nolan looks the key player on 11:51 - Aug 8 with 3813 viewsOsborneOneNil

The midfield 3 on Saturday was an odd one, all of them tend to prefer the holding role.

Nolan will be superb for us.
Nolan looks the key player on 12:05 - Aug 8 with 3720 viewsGodBlue

Agree, but we also need someone down the left (not Freddie) to take some of the pressure, and attention, from Edwards.

The guy looks a class act, but we were in danger of becoming too reliant on him on Saturday and it's only a matter of time before he starts getting hoiked up in the air every time he touches the ball.

For me, balancing out the wings needs to happen now. If that's Jackson, as already mentioned elsewhere, we're still short on at least one proper striker.

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

Login to get fewer ads

Nolan looks the key player on 12:10 - Aug 8 with 3664 viewsDarth_Koont

Nolan looks the key player on 12:05 - Aug 8 by GodBlue

Agree, but we also need someone down the left (not Freddie) to take some of the pressure, and attention, from Edwards.

The guy looks a class act, but we were in danger of becoming too reliant on him on Saturday and it's only a matter of time before he starts getting hoiked up in the air every time he touches the ball.

For me, balancing out the wings needs to happen now. If that's Jackson, as already mentioned elsewhere, we're still short on at least one proper striker.

We also have Ward and Roberts. Ward has impressed me in games where he's been able to use his energy and pace further up the pitch. Not so effective in those games where he's been more of a wide or central midfielder and needing to drop deep to defend or get involved in a midfield tussle.

IMO Hurst could be the making of him.

Nolan looks the key player on 12:14 - Aug 8 with 3637 viewsIP33

Nolan looks the key player on 12:10 - Aug 8 by Darth_Koont

We also have Ward and Roberts. Ward has impressed me in games where he's been able to use his energy and pace further up the pitch. Not so effective in those games where he's been more of a wide or central midfielder and needing to drop deep to defend or get involved in a midfield tussle.

IMO Hurst could be the making of him.

Couldn't agree more. I think this is Ward's season to impress. Hopefully he will get an opportunity express himself more this season.
Nolan looks the key player on 12:17 - Aug 8 with 3605 viewsurbanblue

Nolan looks the key player on 12:14 - Aug 8 by IP33

Couldn't agree more. I think this is Ward's season to impress. Hopefully he will get an opportunity express himself more this season.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ward in this set up. I think he's got a lot to offer and maybe the best is yet to come.
Nolan looks the key player on 12:19 - Aug 8 with 3584 viewsCuffy81

Nolan looks the key player on 11:51 - Aug 8 by OsborneOneNil

The midfield 3 on Saturday was an odd one, all of them tend to prefer the holding role.

Nolan will be superb for us.

I haven't seen enough of Nolan to comment but Hurst clearly takes him everywhere he goes so rates him in that position. I understand as well as having quality on the ball he can also run all day.

Agree with your comments about the 3 on Saturday, what I couldn't understand is how despite having 3 defensive minded midfielders we kept getting caught on the break.

Skuse and Downes both looked like fish out of water.
Nolan looks the key player on 12:21 - Aug 8 with 3568 viewsSlambo

I think Sears should be given a chance as that lone striker. He's rapid, busy and determined - far more suited to the role than people realise. He's also a very tidy finisher, just always had such poor service. With him playing off that last defender, and Nolan slipping through little slide-rule passes, I think Freddie could have a very fruitful season...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Nolan looks the key player on 12:26 - Aug 8 with 3513 viewsbontcho

That looks the position best suited to Bishop to me.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Strikers on 12:27 - Aug 8 with 3519 viewsDyland

Exciting stuff.

Intuitively it feels very dodgy replacing proven second tier goal scorers with unproven but quick and talented strikers, but this is where we're at. I'm nervous about this, but in a good way.

We'll miss Waggers' set pieces as much as his goals.

Let's see what happens. Feels like a mini-revolution. It could go tits up but at the moment it's a work in progress, at worst. And man did we need a change.

Come on PH, and COYFB.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Nolan looks the key player on 12:52 - Aug 8 with 3405 viewsMillsey

Blackburn pressed and bullied our players with their bigger physical size!
Nolan looks the key player on 12:59 - Aug 8 with 3333 viewspablosturn

Nolan looks the key player on 12:21 - Aug 8 by Slambo

I think Sears should be given a chance as that lone striker. He's rapid, busy and determined - far more suited to the role than people realise. He's also a very tidy finisher, just always had such poor service. With him playing off that last defender, and Nolan slipping through little slide-rule passes, I think Freddie could have a very fruitful season...

One thing Freddie Sears is not is rapid!

The guy is back up at best now, feel MM sucked the life out of him. Jackson to play on the left is a must IMO
Nolan looks the key player on 13:01 - Aug 8 with 3317 viewsSuperblue95

Nolan looks the key player on 11:46 - Aug 8 by TractorCam

Completely forgot about Huws, too many players to keep up with!

I hadn't forgotten Huws but I had forgotten Ward until his name was mentioned by others. I don't like having all these players that we have to remember, can't we go back to having about 20 players in our squad including those on the fringes? Much easier

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Nolan looks the key player on 13:09 - Aug 8 with 3269 viewsBent_double

Nolan looks the key player on 13:01 - Aug 8 by Superblue95

I hadn't forgotten Huws but I had forgotten Ward until his name was mentioned by others. I don't like having all these players that we have to remember, can't we go back to having about 20 players in our squad including those on the fringes? Much easier

and a core of 9 or 10 players that play every game regardless of form (or ability).

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Nolan looks the key player on 15:54 - Aug 8 with 3122 viewsSlambo

Nolan looks the key player on 12:59 - Aug 8 by pablosturn

One thing Freddie Sears is not is rapid!

The guy is back up at best now, feel MM sucked the life out of him. Jackson to play on the left is a must IMO

Eh..?! Sears is very quick..! But yeah, he'd only ever be back up in that position...

UPPA TOWEN!

Nolan looks the key player on 15:56 - Aug 8 with 3107 viewschicoazul

Do feel the writing is on the wall for both Huws and Bishop with the arrival of Nolan.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Nolan looks the key player on 16:31 - Aug 8 with 3004 viewspablosturn

Nolan looks the key player on 15:54 - Aug 8 by Slambo

Eh..?! Sears is very quick..! But yeah, he'd only ever be back up in that position...

Have you watched him live for the past season, largely outpaced and outmuscled on Saturday.

Good cross for the goal but should be sold if we can get someone else like Jackson in
Nolan looks the key player on 16:52 - Aug 8 with 2943 viewsSlambo

Nolan looks the key player on 16:31 - Aug 8 by pablosturn

Have you watched him live for the past season, largely outpaced and outmuscled on Saturday.

Good cross for the goal but should be sold if we can get someone else like Jackson in

In a one-on-one leg race Sears usually comes out on top. Not so much with the ball at his feet. He actually really reminds of Antoine Griezmann, the way he moves (but the similarity ends there!). Yeah, he's got a slight frame, so don't play it to his feet and force him to grapple for the ball, but in the space behind. I dunno, i'm just reluctant to judge him - and the many strikers that have come and gone from Portman Road with unflattering scoring records - because we've been such a woefully uncreative team for the best part of a decade now. But with Edwards, Jackson, Nolan, and Dozzell emerging, a striker like Sears could clean up...

UPPA TOWEN!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024