Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Occasional reminder that atheism... 13:25 - Aug 10 with 21214 viewschicoazul

...is in fact faith in there being no God.

Thank you and have a nice day.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 19:59 - Aug 14 with 2509 viewsgordon

I actually saw a talk the other day from someone in a research group at Stanford that have built an algorithm that is being programmed to profile the meta-properties of all the particles in the known universe, and by a process of machine learning then search through all the dark energy/matter for evidence of organisation/structure amongst super-massive dark particles, which will, effectively, empirically test the universe for the presence of God.
Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:04 - Aug 14 with 2500 viewsSwansea_Blue

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 19:59 - Aug 14 by gordon

I actually saw a talk the other day from someone in a research group at Stanford that have built an algorithm that is being programmed to profile the meta-properties of all the particles in the known universe, and by a process of machine learning then search through all the dark energy/matter for evidence of organisation/structure amongst super-massive dark particles, which will, effectively, empirically test the universe for the presence of God.

Alternatively Hursty could lead us to the title by at least 20 clear points, thereby demonstrating clearly that he is god.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:16 - Aug 14 with 2491 viewsvapour_trail

I thought benters was a gardener!

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:18 - Aug 14 with 2486 viewsgordon

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:04 - Aug 14 by Swansea_Blue

Alternatively Hursty could lead us to the title by at least 20 clear points, thereby demonstrating clearly that he is god.

To be sure it was God we'd have to go unbeaten from now until the end of the season with all the youngsters in the team and Skuse out on loan somewhere.
Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:21 - Aug 14 with 2480 viewssparks

No. It wont.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:22 - Aug 14 with 2478 viewsgordon

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:16 - Aug 14 by vapour_trail

I thought benters was a gardener!

That's odd you should say that cos they mentioned that they had been getting some crazy results when they were doing some initial calibrating of the God detector in a small village a few miles south-west of Ipswich.
Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:23 - Aug 14 with 2477 viewsgordon

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:21 - Aug 14 by sparks

No. It wont.

No, it definitely will according to the eminent Isreali Professor leading the project, Dr. Yuv Binad.
Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:36 - Aug 14 with 2459 viewsRyorry

ChrisOnaBike!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:46 - Aug 14 with 2437 viewssparks

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:23 - Aug 14 by gordon

No, it definitely will according to the eminent Isreali Professor leading the project, Dr. Yuv Binad.

It can't.

god is claimed to be supernatural. How does one observe something which is alleged not to be part of our world / universe?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:48 - Aug 14 with 2432 viewsjeera

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 20:46 - Aug 14 by sparks

It can't.

god is claimed to be supernatural. How does one observe something which is alleged not to be part of our world / universe?

I dunno Buls ol' pal.

But I have a feeling for a smart guy, Yuv Binad.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 20:49]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 22:28 - Aug 14 with 2393 viewsjjblue84

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 19:16 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

That's not really answered the question. If you think belief in God and non-belief in God are equally valid when there is no evidence that God exists then why wouldn't you also think that belief in invisible unicorns who fart invisible rainbows is on a par with non-belief in invisible unicorns who fart invisible rainbows?

Because his existence has explanatory power, whereas unicorns and floating teapots and all the other childish arguments don’t!
Occasional reminder that atheism... on 22:38 - Aug 14 with 2390 viewsOldsmoker

I do have a problem with God.
Disclaimer - *** All "facts" quoted are from the bible ***
I mean he's got form hasn't he?
He trashed Soddom and Gomorra and turned Lots wife into salt for just turning around and having a look.
They nailed his ONLY son to a cross and left him to die and he did NOTHING.
So what was that all about then?
Every father I know would kill those who did that to their son if they could get away with it and God certainly could get away with it.
Was he on holiday?
Jesus did ask "have you foresaken me" whilst on the cross so I guess he was enjoying a couple of weeks in Benidorm.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 22:41 - Aug 14 with 2386 viewssparks

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 22:28 - Aug 14 by jjblue84

Because his existence has explanatory power, whereas unicorns and floating teapots and all the other childish arguments don’t!

Nope- it has no explanatory power. Thats reliance on the old argument from ignorance fallacy.

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 22:57 - Aug 14 with 2373 viewsBinner

The OP's premise is absurd. You don't need 'faith' to understand that there is a complete lack of evidence of god's existence. Faith is what you supposedly have in order to believe in god despite the lack of evidence.

Man created god. It wasn't the other way round.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:03 - Aug 14 with 2364 viewsOldsmoker

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 22:57 - Aug 14 by Binner

The OP's premise is absurd. You don't need 'faith' to understand that there is a complete lack of evidence of god's existence. Faith is what you supposedly have in order to believe in god despite the lack of evidence.

Man created god. It wasn't the other way round.

And without the code of laws (10 commandments) where would we be?
Religion is good because most people behave.
I don't do God or Religion but I'm grateful that other people do.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 23:04]

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:04 - Aug 14 with 2359 viewsHerbivore

His 'existence' only has explanatory power if you have faith. I have faith in invisible unicorns who fart invisible rainbows, their invisible rainbow farts are what cause strong winds in the Autumn. Therefore, according to my faith, they also have explanatory power.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:14 - Aug 14 with 2348 viewsjeera

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:03 - Aug 14 by Oldsmoker

And without the code of laws (10 commandments) where would we be?
Religion is good because most people behave.
I don't do God or Religion but I'm grateful that other people do.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 23:04]

People lie, steal, kill and cheat all the time.

For those of us who don't, I doubt we need telling what is acceptable and what isn't.

Certainly not from a book.

Those who are on the fence, don't do those things through fear of being caught.

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:16 - Aug 14 with 2347 viewsjeera

Sorry, but what?

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:21 - Aug 14 with 2338 viewsOldsmoker

There's something I call the "God card".
example.
Porks a really dodgy meat. Refridgeration has allowed us to store and eat it without getting ill.
The high priest discovers people are getting ill eating pork because it hasn't been cooked properly so he bans it.
The masses are not happy - they like roast pork and they're not sick but that's only because they cooked it properly from fresh. They tell the high priest that they will replace him with someone else who says pork is OK.
The high priest pulls the God card.
It's not me saying this, its God and if you disobey god you'll go to hell.
No Jew has eaten pork since.

Same goes for shellfish. They're bottom feeders eating fish turds. Boil them in water and you've got a prawn cocktail but eat them raw and you get the sh*ts or worse. Leviticus bans them too.
Its just common sense not to eat badly prepared food because it will make you sick but did they have to pull the "God card" and ban them all together just because they didn't know how to prepare food properly.

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:28 - Aug 14 with 2331 viewsjeera

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:21 - Aug 14 by Oldsmoker

There's something I call the "God card".
example.
Porks a really dodgy meat. Refridgeration has allowed us to store and eat it without getting ill.
The high priest discovers people are getting ill eating pork because it hasn't been cooked properly so he bans it.
The masses are not happy - they like roast pork and they're not sick but that's only because they cooked it properly from fresh. They tell the high priest that they will replace him with someone else who says pork is OK.
The high priest pulls the God card.
It's not me saying this, its God and if you disobey god you'll go to hell.
No Jew has eaten pork since.

Same goes for shellfish. They're bottom feeders eating fish turds. Boil them in water and you've got a prawn cocktail but eat them raw and you get the sh*ts or worse. Leviticus bans them too.
Its just common sense not to eat badly prepared food because it will make you sick but did they have to pull the "God card" and ban them all together just because they didn't know how to prepare food properly.

Sounds to me like there was shortage of pork and prawns and the rich people were looking for ways to keep them for themselves.

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:32 - Aug 14 with 2330 viewsRyorry

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 22:38 - Aug 14 by Oldsmoker

I do have a problem with God.
Disclaimer - *** All "facts" quoted are from the bible ***
I mean he's got form hasn't he?
He trashed Soddom and Gomorra and turned Lots wife into salt for just turning around and having a look.
They nailed his ONLY son to a cross and left him to die and he did NOTHING.
So what was that all about then?
Every father I know would kill those who did that to their son if they could get away with it and God certainly could get away with it.
Was he on holiday?
Jesus did ask "have you foresaken me" whilst on the cross so I guess he was enjoying a couple of weeks in Benidorm.

"He" "He's" "His"?!

If this being did exist, the "believers" would surely be able to demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that their god was either a he, a she or an it?!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:57 - Aug 14 with 2316 viewsjjblue84

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:04 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

His 'existence' only has explanatory power if you have faith. I have faith in invisible unicorns who fart invisible rainbows, their invisible rainbow farts are what cause strong winds in the Autumn. Therefore, according to my faith, they also have explanatory power.

No, it’s possible that the world has been designed. Choose your theory. And do give reasons!
Occasional reminder that atheism... on 00:19 - Aug 15 with 2303 viewseireblue

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:32 - Aug 14 by Ryorry

"He" "He's" "His"?!

If this being did exist, the "believers" would surely be able to demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that their god was either a he, a she or an it?!

St Peter: "Ok, guys, so before I let you in, there is one thing you should definitely know about God, she's Black"
Occasional reminder that atheism... on 08:07 - Aug 15 with 2232 viewsHerbivore

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:57 - Aug 14 by jjblue84

No, it’s possible that the world has been designed. Choose your theory. And do give reasons!

It's possible that invisible unicorns farting invisible rainbows cause strong winds in the Autumn. You can't prove that they don't, you can only offer me an alternative theory. People want to think God is a special case because religion is so deeply ingrained in our history and culture, but that doesn't stand up to any rational scrutiny.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 08:22 - Aug 15 with 2231 viewssparks

Occasional reminder that atheism... on 23:57 - Aug 14 by jjblue84

In order for it to be "possible" you would need to demonstrate that god exists. I could agree that it is not demonstrably "impossible" on current information. That said, the evidence is by no means in favour of it. Human beings, for instance, are not good examples of "design".

god has no more explanatory power than "its magic" or "Pixies did it". Your assertion is simply the argument from ignorance fallacy approached from the other end; i.e. there is stuff we dont understand, therefore god.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024