Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the Universe is infinite 17:25 - Sep 11 with 20265 viewschicoazul

that must mean that everything that possibly can happen will eventually happen.

Does this therefore mean free will is an illusion?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If the Universe is infinite on 14:27 - Sep 12 with 3825 viewslowhouseblue

If the Universe is infinite on 13:54 - Sep 12 by BrixtonBlue

Yes I agree.

I think some of you have missed my point - to show that the analogy doesn't work. The fact that some of you now want to remove the monkeys proves my point.

the monkeys are only there to add levity to what would otherwise just be maths. I am happy to slaughter the monkeys.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

If the Universe is infinite on 17:09 - Sep 12 with 3790 viewschicoazul

If the Universe is infinite on 12:51 - Sep 12 by BrixtonBlue

No there won't. Monkeys hitting keys randomly will never type "COTTY IS A BELLEND" let alone the complete works of Shakespeare, no matter how much time or how many monkeys.

They'll accidentally type the odd word here and there and that will be it.

Who do we believe lads? The Mathematics Lecturer at a University or Jerseys?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If the Universe is infinite on 17:17 - Sep 12 with 3777 viewsmanchego

If the Universe is infinite on 13:30 - Sep 12 by BrixtonBlue

I think if you had to hit a different combination of letters than you previously did then it would work. Then you would eventually get the complete works of Shakespeare. Just randomly hitting them, no you wouldn't.

you don't know what infinite means do you ?

infinite monkeys + infinite time = shakespeare
If the Universe is infinite on 17:24 - Sep 12 with 3754 viewsGlasgowBlue

If the Universe is infinite on 17:17 - Sep 12 by manchego

you don't know what infinite means do you ?

infinite monkeys + infinite time = shakespeare

This thread is more entertaining than the football last night. Well done Dollers for giving me a chuckle or two.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

If the Universe is infinite on 17:27 - Sep 12 with 3767 viewsjjblue84

Let’s do the tree falling in the forest making no sound tomorrow...
If the Universe is infinite on 17:34 - Sep 12 with 3755 viewsjeera

If the Universe is infinite on 17:27 - Sep 12 by jjblue84

I'm looking forward to it already.

Science versus assumptions and wild, baseless [but strongly held] opinions.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

If the Universe is infinite on 17:56 - Sep 12 with 3730 viewsThrobbe

If the Universe is infinite on 17:27 - Sep 12 by jjblue84

Join us next week, as TWTD discusses at considerable length quantum theory and how cruel it is to put a cat in a sealed box before trying to work out if it's alive or dead.

I can genuinely see a weekly podcast in this. Dollers, Prof Brian Cox and Dara O' Briain discuss theoretical models and their limitations.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

If the Universe is infinite on 17:57 - Sep 12 with 3726 viewsWonky

Anything that is physically possible that has a chance of happening (however small the chance) will happen given unlimited time.

The monkeys would not only write every book ever written but an unlimited number of new ones. Especially on bananas.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 17:58]
Login to get fewer ads

If the Universe is infinite on 18:10 - Sep 12 with 3711 viewsWeWereZombies

If the Universe is infinite on 17:57 - Sep 12 by Wonky

Anything that is physically possible that has a chance of happening (however small the chance) will happen given unlimited time.

The monkeys would not only write every book ever written but an unlimited number of new ones. Especially on bananas.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 17:58]

Is this before or after they have taken over the planet and made humans their slaves?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

If the Universe is infinite on 18:17 - Sep 12 with 3703 viewsWonky

If the Universe is infinite on 18:10 - Sep 12 by WeWereZombies

Is this before or after they have taken over the planet and made humans their slaves?

Then it would be a question of could humans write the Monkey's Shakespheres works, given enough time.
If the Universe is infinite on 18:18 - Sep 12 with 3703 viewsjeera

If the Universe is infinite on 18:10 - Sep 12 by WeWereZombies

Damn those typewriters.

Damn them all to Hell.

If the Universe is infinite on 18:28 - Sep 12 with 3688 viewsjeera

If the Universe is infinite on 18:17 - Sep 12 by Wonky

Then it would be a question of could humans write the Monkey's Shakespheres works, given enough time.

The banana of Venice.
The taming of the banana.
Twelsth banana.
As you like banana.
Much ado about bananas.
All's well that ends with a banana.

If the Universe is infinite on 18:36 - Sep 12 with 3679 viewsKeno

If the Universe is infinite on 18:28 - Sep 12 by jeera

The banana of Venice.
Twelsth banana.
As you like banana.
Much ado about bananas.

MacBanana!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

If the Universe is infinite on 18:43 - Sep 12 with 3661 viewsjeera

If the Universe is infinite on 18:36 - Sep 12 by Keno

MacBanana!!

The merry simians of Windsor.

If the Universe is infinite on 18:48 - Sep 12 with 3653 viewsWeWereZombies

If the Universe is infinite on 18:28 - Sep 12 by jeera

The banana of Venice.
Twelsth banana.
As you like banana.
Much ado about bananas.

Nah, I reckon they would have gone with Gibbon - Decline and Fall of the Roman Banana.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

If the Universe is infinite on 18:49 - Sep 12 with 3650 viewsgordon

If the Universe is infinite on 13:30 - Sep 12 by BrixtonBlue

I think if you had to hit a different combination of letters than you previously did then it would work. Then you would eventually get the complete works of Shakespeare. Just randomly hitting them, no you wouldn't.

They could probs rattle off one of the shorter more well-known ones like The Tempest after a few gos but I wouldn't expect a troupe of monkeys to have ever gone near the likes of Troilus and Cressida.

Also some of the spelling in Shakespeare is very arcane which would work against them.
If the Universe is infinite on 19:16 - Sep 12 with 3615 viewsJ2BLUE

If the Universe is infinite on 17:34 - Sep 12 by jeera

I'm looking forward to it already.

Science versus assumptions and wild, baseless [but strongly held] opinions.

I call dibs on wild baseless opinions.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If the Universe is infinite on 19:18 - Sep 12 with 3611 viewsjeera

If the Universe is infinite on 19:16 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

I call dibs on wild baseless opinions.

I think you might have strong competition on that one bud.

If the Universe is infinite on 19:23 - Sep 12 with 3598 viewsJ2BLUE

If the Universe is infinite on 19:18 - Sep 12 by jeera

I think you might have strong competition on that one bud.

The earth is flat and Jesus was a space travelling ninja.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If the Universe is infinite on 08:25 - Sep 13 with 3476 viewsKeno

If the Universe is infinite on 19:23 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

The earth is flat and Jesus was a space travelling ninja.

Could the feckwittery in the thread be infinite?

If the Universe is infinite on 08:50 - Sep 13 with 3461 viewsMJallday

If the Universe is infinite on 08:15 - Sep 12 by chiddley

Please tell me how you know time travel backwards is impossible ? Please don't quote someone else who also doesn't know, go?

lets assume (because its fact) for the moment that the Earth revolves around the sun
and sun revolves within the spiral of our particuar cluster of stars

We (the earth) is moving at around 68,000 mph in space. So in the 5 minutes ive taken to type this, we'll have moved a little under 6000 miles in our absolute position.

with me so far?

if you somehow invented a time machine with a nice chair, that took you and zapped you 10 years back in time - you would be sat in your nice chair, in approximately -273c in the vacuum of space,.

So to cater for this, you have to move your position as well as your time.
unfortunately, moving your position meets accelerating (however slowly) towards the speed of light, which would propel you forwards in time as professor cox explains, and not backwards.

hence, time travel backwards is not possible, without breaking the laws of known physics.

there is an argument to say that when you get beyond the speed of light (which would require infinite energy, so could never be achieved) then maybe it COULD be done.

however, you cant outrun time and you cant hit the speed of light - there's an easy way to demonstrate this.

the sun's light takes 8 minutes to get to the earth, so what we see right now actually happened 8 minutes ago.

if the sun exploded 7 minutes ago, we wouldnt know about it for another 1 minute right? thats called the event horizon.

now at the point the event hits us (the event horizon) - we'd see the explosion.
but lets just say we got in a rocket, and accelerated away from the sun at an incredibly fast speed - say 99% of the speed of light.

however, even if we hit 99% of the speed of light, , the event horizon (explosion) will always catch up with us - otherwise the sun would shine forever, and its cant, because just blown up.

thats why you can never hit the speed of light therefore (using this method) cant travel back in time

here ends the physics lesson
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 8:51]

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

If the Universe is infinite on 08:57 - Sep 13 with 3445 viewsKeno

If the Universe is infinite on 08:50 - Sep 13 by MJallday

lets assume (because its fact) for the moment that the Earth revolves around the sun
and sun revolves within the spiral of our particuar cluster of stars

We (the earth) is moving at around 68,000 mph in space. So in the 5 minutes ive taken to type this, we'll have moved a little under 6000 miles in our absolute position.

with me so far?

if you somehow invented a time machine with a nice chair, that took you and zapped you 10 years back in time - you would be sat in your nice chair, in approximately -273c in the vacuum of space,.

So to cater for this, you have to move your position as well as your time.
unfortunately, moving your position meets accelerating (however slowly) towards the speed of light, which would propel you forwards in time as professor cox explains, and not backwards.

hence, time travel backwards is not possible, without breaking the laws of known physics.

there is an argument to say that when you get beyond the speed of light (which would require infinite energy, so could never be achieved) then maybe it COULD be done.

however, you cant outrun time and you cant hit the speed of light - there's an easy way to demonstrate this.

the sun's light takes 8 minutes to get to the earth, so what we see right now actually happened 8 minutes ago.

if the sun exploded 7 minutes ago, we wouldnt know about it for another 1 minute right? thats called the event horizon.

now at the point the event hits us (the event horizon) - we'd see the explosion.
but lets just say we got in a rocket, and accelerated away from the sun at an incredibly fast speed - say 99% of the speed of light.

however, even if we hit 99% of the speed of light, , the event horizon (explosion) will always catch up with us - otherwise the sun would shine forever, and its cant, because just blown up.

thats why you can never hit the speed of light therefore (using this method) cant travel back in time

here ends the physics lesson
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 8:51]

Yeah but are you allowing for a De=Lorean sports car with a flux capacitor in it?

If the Universe is infinite on 08:58 - Sep 13 with 3442 viewslowhouseblue

If the Universe is infinite on 08:57 - Sep 13 by Keno

Yeah but are you allowing for a De=Lorean sports car with a flux capacitor in it?

or the power of an infinite number of monkeys?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

If the Universe is infinite on 09:00 - Sep 13 with 3437 viewsKeno

If the Universe is infinite on 08:58 - Sep 13 by lowhouseblue

or the power of an infinite number of monkeys?

Have we established what type of monkeys it is that will be doing this writing?

that could have a bearing on the outcome surely

If the Universe is infinite on 09:07 - Sep 22 with 3300 viewsRob88

I know I am a little late to this party but I think I’ve worked out who Dolly is:

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024