Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IT advice please: anti-virus software 14:12 - Oct 30 with 2171 viewsBent_double

I've been using the AVG free version for years and never had any issues, but I think I might be leaving myself open to other threats that aren't covered by that software.

I only use a single laptop running Windows 10 to access email, internet banking, web browsing, etc, and I keep a small database and business-related spreadsheets on it, so I would be lost if somehow it were hacked.

AVG offer their full package for just under £60 per year, but a quick search shows me I can get McAfee or Norton products for half/a quarter of that.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 14:14 - Oct 30 with 2159 viewsrapier

Avast free, been using for a long time now, and I download some crazy shiz, never had problems.

Also use malwarebytes free every now and again.

Norton and the like will slow down your computer with so much useless bloatware to the point it is almost unusable.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2018 14:19]
IT advice please: anti-virus software on 14:18 - Oct 30 with 2142 viewswkj

I cant stand McAfee and Norton, because the moment the coverage lapses, the whole program starts acting like on big pop up fest. Event he free version of McAfee through BT spews out offers for more devices before you tinker with it

I have honestly used windows defender for the last few years and its done the job fine, obviously with that common sense when browsing helps too.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 14:42 - Oct 30 with 2104 viewscasanovacrow

Bitdefender tends to get good reviews on most tests. There is a free version but at the moment there is an extended trial offer (i think 6months) of Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 on

https://sharewareonsale.com/s/bitdefender-internet-security-sale

That might be worth a look.

Saying that I've never had a problem with the free version of Avast either, I think they actually purchased AVG so I'm guessing they wont be far different in levels of protection.

I avoid McAfee these days. It's not what it used to be and can be a pain in the butt to remove completely from what I hear.

If you want to protect sensitive business files though it might be worth using something like cryptomator to encrypt those things and back it all up on the cloud in the encrypted form if you don't have it all backed up somewhere else (which is the sensible option, I don't trust storing anything on the cloud even encrypted).

Password managers are also a good way to protect from keyloggers, some come with antivirus software but there are free ones such as lastpass or keepass.

Other than that always the best advice is just use common sense, don't take risks downloading stuff from dodgy places or following links that you are not sure of. Always double check senders addresses on emails. Oh and if you don't use it and it isn't disabled you would be best to turn off SMB 1.0 in windows, pretty sure Windows 10 disables it by default these days though.
IT advice please: anti-virus software on 15:04 - Oct 30 with 2083 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Eset. The best by a mile.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 15:11 - Oct 30 with 2075 viewsfarkenhell

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 15:04 - Oct 30 by The_Last_Baron

I'll second this. Was recommended by an IT bod years ago, when I also had AVG. Installed Eset and it immediately identified and quarantined some malware. Never had a problem in the 10 or so years since then.
IT advice please: anti-virus software on 15:15 - Oct 30 with 2063 viewsCoastalblue

My own experience, and I don't know a lot about this, is whenever I've had a machine with either Norton or McAfee it's run horribly, horribly slowly and I've ditched it very quickly.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 15:33 - Oct 30 with 2035 viewsThe_Last_Baron

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 15:15 - Oct 30 by Coastalblue

My own experience, and I don't know a lot about this, is whenever I've had a machine with either Norton or McAfee it's run horribly, horribly slowly and I've ditched it very quickly.

Both are terrible , takes over your machine and as you say slows it down.

The reason why they are popular is because major chains push them at every available opportunity.

Eset will cost you £30 or so a year but you'll never get a virus.

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 15:36 - Oct 30 with 2014 viewsBent_double

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 15:04 - Oct 30 by The_Last_Baron

Never heard of that one, will take a look.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Login to get fewer ads

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 15:45 - Oct 30 with 1985 viewsThe_Last_Baron

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 15:15 - Oct 30 by Coastalblue

Every IT expert will recommend Eset. You don't even notice it on your machine. Also great on Android phones.

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 16:44 - Oct 30 with 1914 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 16:50 - Oct 30 with 1909 viewsNthQldITFC

Linux Mint - close enough to Windoze that you'll find it intuitive, never pay for software again, and no need for Antivirus.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 17:28 - Oct 30 with 1857 viewsronnyd

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 16:50 - Oct 30 by NthQldITFC

Linux Mint - close enough to Windoze that you'll find it intuitive, never pay for software again, and no need for Antivirus.

Agree with that. Had AGV for Wind XP and it got slower and slower until everything took ages. Must agree that XP was well past it by then. My Brother in Law set me up with Linux Mint and am pleased with it. Funnily though the slowest site for me, with occasional freeze ups is, wait for it, TWTD.
IT advice please: anti-virus software on 17:38 - Oct 30 with 1839 viewsThe_Last_Baron

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 16:44 - Oct 30 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

You can get spyware and viruses on Macs.

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 17:43 - Oct 30 with 1821 viewsHARRY10

What were you thinking you might be issued with ?
IT advice please: anti-virus software on 17:46 - Oct 30 with 1812 viewsVintage65

IT advice please: anti-virus software on 17:43 - Oct 30 by HARRY10

What were you thinking you might be issued with ?

ESET doesn't hog memory and runs quietly in the background - used it for years.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024