Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - 02:06 - Nov 17 with 10532 viewsRyorry

Just read this thread -

Associated article - https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/16/uk-austerity-has-inflicted-great
[Post edited 17 Nov 2018 2:08]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 09:35 - Nov 17 with 3944 viewsSwansea_Blue

If people had any sense they’d listen to this. Never mind Brexit (although that won’t help), when people keep voting for the Tories they are an accessory to the suffering. We’ve known for ages the Tories are “punitive, mean-spirited, and often callous”. And continue to be so judging by their denial of the things in this UN report.

It’s an embarrassment frankly.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 09:45 - Nov 17 with 3921 viewssparks

Sounds like an error rather than an illustration of an unfair system...

That said, the system is clearly problematic and is a long way from way IDS initially planned.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 09:49 - Nov 17 with 3909 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 09:45 - Nov 17 by sparks

Sounds like an error rather than an illustration of an unfair system...

That said, the system is clearly problematic and is a long way from way IDS initially planned.

I'd love to stick the boot into the Tories, obvs, but I have to agree with you here. Sounds like an error. And I have to say, I've had an excellent experience with Universal Credit since I got made redundant in May.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 09:57 - Nov 17 with 3892 viewsLord_Lucan

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 09:49 - Nov 17 by BrixtonBlue

I'd love to stick the boot into the Tories, obvs, but I have to agree with you here. Sounds like an error. And I have to say, I've had an excellent experience with Universal Credit since I got made redundant in May.

Have you been sacked Dolly?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:00 - Nov 17 with 3887 viewsslump

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 09:49 - Nov 17 by BrixtonBlue

Hold on minute..

You were made redundant and received some redundancy payment I assume?

You are capable of work I assume?

Yet you are receiving Universal Credit?

How does that work?

UTT

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:13 - Nov 17 with 3857 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 09:57 - Nov 17 by Lord_Lucan

Have you been sacked Dolly?

No made redundant. The clue's in the words, "made redundant".

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:16 - Nov 17 with 3853 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:00 - Nov 17 by slump

Hold on minute..

You were made redundant and received some redundancy payment I assume?

You are capable of work I assume?

Yet you are receiving Universal Credit?

How does that work?

You get it whilst looking for work... just like the dole. Your savings (i.e. including redundancy money) are taken into account, again just like the dole. It's a pretty well-known thing, I'm surprised you're surprised!

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:16 - Nov 17 with 3848 viewsJ2BLUE

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 09:35 - Nov 17 by Swansea_Blue

If people had any sense they’d listen to this. Never mind Brexit (although that won’t help), when people keep voting for the Tories they are an accessory to the suffering. We’ve known for ages the Tories are “punitive, mean-spirited, and often callous”. And continue to be so judging by their denial of the things in this UN report.

It’s an embarrassment frankly.

Posts like this are fine but who do you vote for if you consider Labour to be an incompetent shambles?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:18 - Nov 17 with 3840 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:16 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

Posts like this are fine but who do you vote for if you consider Labour to be an incompetent shambles?

Take the voting paper, roll it up, and gently insert it into your anus.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:21 - Nov 17 with 3828 viewsJ2BLUE

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:18 - Nov 17 by BrixtonBlue

Take the voting paper, roll it up, and gently insert it into your anus.

Gently?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:21 - Nov 17 with 3822 viewsDarth_Koont

5th largest economy. But, within the developed world at least, giving the US a run for its money as being the most tw@ttish and uncaring to its most vulnerable/least valuable citizens.

Pronouns: He/Him

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:25 - Nov 17 with 3817 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:21 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

Gently?

YMMV

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:28 - Nov 17 with 3807 viewsslump

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:16 - Nov 17 by BrixtonBlue

You get it whilst looking for work... just like the dole. Your savings (i.e. including redundancy money) are taken into account, again just like the dole. It's a pretty well-known thing, I'm surprised you're surprised!

It's been ages now. I'm surprised that you've not found any work and are claiming it.

UTT

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:29 - Nov 17 with 3799 viewsDarth_Koont

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:16 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

I think we're seeing incompetent shambles on both sides so that's not an issue.

The Tories do seem to be remarkably organised and competent when it comes to shafting the poor, stripping long-term value from our economy for some quick cash AND adding to our debt at the same time. So perhaps just not voting for them is the key here.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:40 - Nov 17 with 3772 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:28 - Nov 17 by slump

It's been ages now. I'm surprised that you've not found any work and are claiming it.

I have had some freelance work in that time so didn't get any UC in those months.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:56 - Nov 17 with 3726 viewsslump

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:40 - Nov 17 by BrixtonBlue

I have had some freelance work in that time so didn't get any UC in those months.

When I was between jobs (resting really) I tried to claim jobseekers allowance. Because it was so much hassle what with having to prove that you were applying for jobs and attending interviews at the job center. I gave it up as it wasn't worth the grief and I got casual bar work instead. IIRC the job seekers was only about £60 per week

UTT

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:00 - Nov 17 with 3714 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:56 - Nov 17 by slump

When I was between jobs (resting really) I tried to claim jobseekers allowance. Because it was so much hassle what with having to prove that you were applying for jobs and attending interviews at the job center. I gave it up as it wasn't worth the grief and I got casual bar work instead. IIRC the job seekers was only about £60 per week

The worst bit for me was the form filling at the start. Took me best part of a day... then two meetings at the job centre.

Since then it's been relatively easy - just have to fill in online what I'm doing to find work and my job centre interviews are now over the phone.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:08 - Nov 17 with 3692 viewsslump

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:00 - Nov 17 by BrixtonBlue

The worst bit for me was the form filling at the start. Took me best part of a day... then two meetings at the job centre.

Since then it's been relatively easy - just have to fill in online what I'm doing to find work and my job centre interviews are now over the phone.

I always thought that the reason to attend in person was so that you could prove that you weren't working (at least on that day). What's to stop you getting a cash paid job and claiming the benefit as well?

Seems extremely open to fraud now.

UTT

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:10 - Nov 17 with 3684 viewstabletopjoe

Amazing how people confuse ‘austerity’ with ‘actually there’s no money left’

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:14 - Nov 17 with 3666 viewsDeano69

I concur. There is sadly no sensible answer. Tough times.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:16 - Nov 17 with 3657 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:08 - Nov 17 by slump

I always thought that the reason to attend in person was so that you could prove that you weren't working (at least on that day). What's to stop you getting a cash paid job and claiming the benefit as well?

Seems extremely open to fraud now.

I don't think all the interviews are over the phone but my first two have been. Maybe I just have a trustworthy face!

But even if you had to go in for a face-to-face interview and had a cash-paid job on the side, I'd imagine you could nip out for that/do it on your break etc. so people will get round the system if they really intend to.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:24 - Nov 17 with 3634 viewsDarth_Koont

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:10 - Nov 17 by tabletopjoe

Amazing how people confuse ‘actually there’s no money left’ with 'there's no political or moral will left'.

Of course, there's money.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:24 - Nov 17 with 3636 viewsWeWereZombies

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:10 - Nov 17 by tabletopjoe

If there was no money left then the system would stop working, however there is plenty of financial activity but it is often distributed unjustly.

And why don't you show a bit of truthfulness and go back to your BlueOyster avatar so everybody knows your approach?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:31 - Nov 17 with 3610 viewssparks

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:00 - Nov 17 by BrixtonBlue

One of the biggest issues is that many people are simply incapable of doing the forms properly, or getting their documentation and information together. Add mental health issues into that mix and the result is havoc and evictions.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:37 - Nov 17 with 3591 viewsGeoffSentence

Greens, Lib Dems... there are other choices.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024