Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... 16:27 - Dec 7 with 2605 viewsBlueBadger

...here which make THIS even more unpleasant and offensive.

https://www.thenational.ae/world/europe/britain-should-use-threat-of-food-shorta

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 16:30 - Dec 7 with 2574 viewsmanchego

Jeebus. I'm tempted not to believe it because it's totally dreadful.
But then again ... "Tory says something dreadful" is sadly commonplace.
Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 16:31 - Dec 7 with 2559 viewsSpruceMoose

Thick and evil. What a wonderful combination in a politician.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 16:38 - Dec 7 with 2548 viewsBlueBadger

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 16:31 - Dec 7 by SpruceMoose

It comes across like, having joined the Tory party from an ethnic minority(and with parents who are refugees) she feels the need to overcompensate for the fact that she's not white just to fit in.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 16:54 - Dec 7 with 2516 viewsEwan_Oozami

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 16:38 - Dec 7 by BlueBadger

It comes across like, having joined the Tory party from an ethnic minority(and with parents who are refugees) she feels the need to overcompensate for the fact that she's not white just to fit in.

I can imagine her father...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 17:19 - Dec 7 with 2466 viewsKeno

wow, just wow

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 17:20 - Dec 7 with 2463 viewsSpruceMoose

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 16:38 - Dec 7 by BlueBadger

You know the right love to pull up the ladder once they've climbed up.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 17:24 - Dec 7 with 2463 viewsXYZ

All those claiming there'll be civil disobedience if this or that course is followed, as though it is an understandable response, seem completely oblivious to the risk and consequences of civil disobedience starting up in NI.

Unbelievably stupid and dangerous.
Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 18:04 - Dec 7 with 2413 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 16:31 - Dec 7 by SpruceMoose

A damn site more attractive than Boris though, so it's not all bad

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 18:04 - Dec 7 with 2420 viewsBlueBadger

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 17:19 - Dec 7 by Keno

wow, just wow

When my sister was in civil service, apparently people would refuse to go and brief her in person because she was just so rude, she would just scream at people for no reason.

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 18:51 - Dec 7 with 2368 viewsfactual_blue

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 18:04 - Dec 7 by BlueBadger

When my sister was in civil service, apparently people would refuse to go and brief her in person because she was just so rude, she would just scream at people for no reason.

..And like many other Ministers who behave like that, she was allowed to blunder into a protocol trap by her Civil Servants: the classic payback for Nasty Pieces Of Work.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 19:26 - Dec 7 with 2334 viewslinhdi

Oh heck. I read the article. It is disgusting. She should be barred from parliament. Instead, she'll probably be next Foreign Secretary.
Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 19:28 - Dec 7 with 2326 viewsbrogansnose

Truly despicable.
Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 20:03 - Dec 7 with 2294 viewsGlasgowBlue

Priti Patel is a deeply unpleasant woman and her comments regarding Ireland and food shortages are abhorrent given the historical context.

That is all that needed to be said. Bringing up her ethnicity and her parents status as refugees is at best patronising. As are some of the replies your post has gathered.

It's like patting her on the head and saying that "nice refugee girl, you should be grateful all that our country has given you so you should reciprocate that goodwill to others".

I'm sure it's not intentional but it doesn't read well.

She should be judged in the same way you would judge somebody from the right such as Iain Duncan Smith or John Redwood had they made the same comments. Her ethnicity and her parents background are irrelevant.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 20:13 - Dec 7 with 2271 viewsSpruceMoose

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 20:03 - Dec 7 by GlasgowBlue

Priti Patel is a deeply unpleasant woman and her comments regarding Ireland and food shortages are abhorrent given the historical context.

That is all that needed to be said. Bringing up her ethnicity and her parents status as refugees is at best patronising. As are some of the replies your post has gathered.

It's like patting her on the head and saying that "nice refugee girl, you should be grateful all that our country has given you so you should reciprocate that goodwill to others".

I'm sure it's not intentional but it doesn't read well.

She should be judged in the same way you would judge somebody from the right such as Iain Duncan Smith or John Redwood had they made the same comments. Her ethnicity and her parents background are irrelevant.

That's not how it read to me.

Oh GB. Why can't you just condemn something distasteful from the right without adding a 'but', or seizing on it to take a pop at another poster? Poor form old bean.

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 20:19 - Dec 7 with 2254 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 20:13 - Dec 7 by SpruceMoose

That's not how it read to me.

Oh GB. Why can't you just condemn something distasteful from the right without adding a 'but', or seizing on it to take a pop at another poster? Poor form old bean.

I did condemn it. She's an awful woman. It was Badger who added the "but" by bringing up her ethnicity and her parents status as refugees.

So the first point he makes I agree with and condemn her. The second point I take issue with. It really isn't that hard to understand unless you are looking for another row.

Perhaps you can tell me what her ethnicity and her parents status as refugees have to do with what she said?

Why can't she just be a horrible woman who has said something which is deeply offensive?

Read back what badger said : "It comes across like, having joined the Tory party from an ethnic minority(and with parents who are refugees) she feels the need to overcompensate for the fact that she's not white just to fit in".

He's saying that a person from her background can't be a nasty piece of work in her own right. She is having to overcompensate.

When that has been said about woman overcompensating in the boardroom it has rightly been pointed out as sexist.

I'm also not having a pop at Badger who is the most sound and consistent poster on here when it comes to all thing race and equality. Hence the reason I said that I doubt it was intentional.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2018 20:35]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 20:35 - Dec 7 with 2215 viewsBlueBadger

Well it's not like there's any historical connotations... on 18:51 - Dec 7 by factual_blue

..And like many other Ministers who behave like that, she was allowed to blunder into a protocol trap by her Civil Servants: the classic payback for Nasty Pieces Of Work.

Protocol trap?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024