Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to ditch party politics - the solution 11:52 - Jan 16 with 2803 viewsFixed_It

We should have a combined General Election/Referendum run on the lines of 2 new parties. Brexit and Remain. Whoever wins gets to work on the best way forward. Politicians can nail their colours to the mast of the new party that reflects their European views best. Party Politics has died in a lot of our eyes anyway. This is the single most important political issue of a generation, and we need to get it right - led by people who have conviction in their views. At the end of their term of Office, they can all go back to their mates in their political parties as if nothing ever happened. Simples.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 11:56 - Jan 16 with 2451 viewschicoazul

Simples.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:01 - Jan 16 with 2423 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Wouldnt work.

Problem is, the Brexit party would still be split by the members wanting about 15 different versions of Brexit!

The majority of politicians seem to accept the result of the referendum, but cant agree on what 'brexit' means.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:03 - Jan 16 with 2421 viewsElephantintheRoom

My solution is simpler and closer to the original Brexit premise of more money for the NHS. Re-run the referendum, but make a note of all people who want to leave, knowing that they all want to be much worse off - and more money for the NHS. Then make them pay more tax, all of which goes to the NHS. They get to be worse off, which is what they want, without ruining the lives of the majority...and the NHS gets more money... perhaps £350million a week. Note to bigoted Brexiteers, 40million did not vote to drop off a cliff last time - you've always been a minority group of extremists.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:03 - Jan 16 with 2417 viewsRyorry

Do y'know what, I rather like that.

You're probably too bright/commonsensical to go into politics tho, along with millions of others, which is how such creative suggestions never translate into reality in our political system.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:06 - Jan 16 with 2405 viewsFixed_It

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:01 - Jan 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Wouldnt work.

Problem is, the Brexit party would still be split by the members wanting about 15 different versions of Brexit!

The majority of politicians seem to accept the result of the referendum, but cant agree on what 'brexit' means.

I'm sure it wouldn't work!
But what we have now are MPs 'accepting' the result of the referendum, in a lot of cases despite their own views, as they want to be seen to respect democracy, even though the referendum was flawed in so many ways.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:07 - Jan 16 with 2397 viewsGuthrum

Why only two parties, when there is a broad spectrum of opinions on the issue?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:09 - Jan 16 with 2391 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:06 - Jan 16 by Fixed_It

I'm sure it wouldn't work!
But what we have now are MPs 'accepting' the result of the referendum, in a lot of cases despite their own views, as they want to be seen to respect democracy, even though the referendum was flawed in so many ways.

Yep, its all a pile of sh1t really.

As you suggested in the OP, I think yesterday was a landmark day...

....it became the day that the public finally lost any shred of faith in politicians and politics.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:10 - Jan 16 with 2387 viewsFixed_It

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:07 - Jan 16 by Guthrum

Well yes. But let's try to simplify the whole thing into Leave and Remain. The winning party can then thrash out a deal that suits us all. Maybe.
And if Remain wins, then they would have a mandate to go back to the EU and say what improvements we need to avoid such a feckup from happening again!

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Login to get fewer ads

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:10 - Jan 16 with 2387 viewsDeano69

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:07 - Jan 16 by Guthrum

Exactly. It should be the best people for the job regardless of party, in fact preferably not even in politics at all.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:16 - Jan 16 with 2341 viewsfactual_blue

Do the party leaders get to pick sides, like football in the playground? At the end only the flabby kid (boris) and the speccy nerd (gove) are left.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:18 - Jan 16 with 2330 viewsDanTheMan

Or we could have proportional representation which would allow a much more flexible system where we don't have to rely on just two parties all the time.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:23 - Jan 16 with 2312 viewsgiant_stow

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:03 - Jan 16 by ElephantintheRoom

My solution is simpler and closer to the original Brexit premise of more money for the NHS. Re-run the referendum, but make a note of all people who want to leave, knowing that they all want to be much worse off - and more money for the NHS. Then make them pay more tax, all of which goes to the NHS. They get to be worse off, which is what they want, without ruining the lives of the majority...and the NHS gets more money... perhaps £350million a week. Note to bigoted Brexiteers, 40million did not vote to drop off a cliff last time - you've always been a minority group of extremists.

Hmm, fixed it's idea is more reasonable, but yours has a certain zing to it. Either would do fine.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:23 - Jan 16 with 2312 viewsFixed_It

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:18 - Jan 16 by DanTheMan

Or we could have proportional representation which would allow a much more flexible system where we don't have to rely on just two parties all the time.

Main issue with PR is that it would give the extremists a voice.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:26 - Jan 16 with 2294 viewsgiant_stow

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:23 - Jan 16 by Fixed_It

As it stands, the sensible middle has very little voice.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:27 - Jan 16 with 2290 viewsDanTheMan

Depends what you class as "extreme" really. Other countries manage just fine.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:27 - Jan 16 with 2290 viewsChampionship

I hate this argument. We'd get a much better system but lets rule it out because the Batsh!t Party might get 4 seats.

People need to stop enabling the system with feeble excuses of why it can't be changed.
Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:29 - Jan 16 with 2283 viewsFixed_It

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:27 - Jan 16 by Championship

I hate this argument. We'd get a much better system but lets rule it out because the Batsh!t Party might get 4 seats.

People need to stop enabling the system with feeble excuses of why it can't be changed.

We'd have Tommy Robinson making speeches in Parliament before you know it. Apart from that, I agree.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:33 - Jan 16 with 2268 viewsChampionship

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:29 - Jan 16 by Fixed_It

We'd have Tommy Robinson making speeches in Parliament before you know it. Apart from that, I agree.

He could make all the speeches he want, he would be effectively powerless.

Who knows if Brexit would have got to this point if 4,000,000 UKIP voters weren't ignored and actually had a voice in parliament. Instead we got people gleefully celebrating that they had no representation because we've arrogantly decided that they don't deserve a voice. Believe me, i'm no UKIP supporter and I don't want the far right being given any more time than necessary, but if they get the votes they should have a right to representation.

I also completely don't believe that UKIP were far right when they got those votes. They might well be now under the new leader.
Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:37 - Jan 16 with 2253 viewsSpruceMoose

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:33 - Jan 16 by Championship

He could make all the speeches he want, he would be effectively powerless.

Who knows if Brexit would have got to this point if 4,000,000 UKIP voters weren't ignored and actually had a voice in parliament. Instead we got people gleefully celebrating that they had no representation because we've arrogantly decided that they don't deserve a voice. Believe me, i'm no UKIP supporter and I don't want the far right being given any more time than necessary, but if they get the votes they should have a right to representation.

I also completely don't believe that UKIP were far right when they got those votes. They might well be now under the new leader.

I find it sweet that people think these nutters would be happy to just have a voice. It is their way or the highway. Slinging them a few MPs won;t ever keep them happy.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:39 - Jan 16 with 2245 viewsChampionship

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:37 - Jan 16 by SpruceMoose

I find it sweet that people think these nutters would be happy to just have a voice. It is their way or the highway. Slinging them a few MPs won;t ever keep them happy.

It would probably do more good than sneering at them and celebrating the fact the system keeps them voiceless.
Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:47 - Jan 16 with 2232 viewsSpruceMoose

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:39 - Jan 16 by Championship

It would probably do more good than sneering at them and celebrating the fact the system keeps them voiceless.

For what it is worth I am fully behind any move to PR. I just reckon it would make no difference whatsoever in placating the UKIP voters with regards to their wish list. They have a voice, Jesus, have we not heard from them enough over the last decade, to the extent where they've single handedly (well, with assistance from the right wing press) derailed the UK. To suggest they are meekly being ignored is bobbins.

They want out. Hard. They don't want some suit making the odd speech in the HoP and then going back to being ignored. That won't be enough to keep them happy.

I'm just fed up with the suggestion that somehow us sane folk are responsible for the swivel eyed loons and their actions because we don't take their lunacy seriously, or treat their dangerously stupid ideas with respect. They've sh!t the bed for future generations. I'll never respect that. Fuk em.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2019 13:48]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:48 - Jan 16 with 2222 viewsChampionship

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:47 - Jan 16 by SpruceMoose

For what it is worth I am fully behind any move to PR. I just reckon it would make no difference whatsoever in placating the UKIP voters with regards to their wish list. They have a voice, Jesus, have we not heard from them enough over the last decade, to the extent where they've single handedly (well, with assistance from the right wing press) derailed the UK. To suggest they are meekly being ignored is bobbins.

They want out. Hard. They don't want some suit making the odd speech in the HoP and then going back to being ignored. That won't be enough to keep them happy.

I'm just fed up with the suggestion that somehow us sane folk are responsible for the swivel eyed loons and their actions because we don't take their lunacy seriously, or treat their dangerously stupid ideas with respect. They've sh!t the bed for future generations. I'll never respect that. Fuk em.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2019 13:48]

Not saying anyone is responsible. Just saying if they get the votes they deserve some representation.
Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:49 - Jan 16 with 2220 viewsRyorry

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 12:09 - Jan 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Yep, its all a pile of sh1t really.

As you suggested in the OP, I think yesterday was a landmark day...

....it became the day that the public finally lost any shred of faith in politicians and politics.

I think those shreds were blown away bythe gales of hot air emanating from both ends of politicians many years before yesterday!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:51 - Jan 16 with 2211 viewsSpruceMoose

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:48 - Jan 16 by Championship

Not saying anyone is responsible. Just saying if they get the votes they deserve some representation.

I agree. Just saying it won't keep them happy.

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:53 - Jan 16 with 2204 viewsChampionship

Time to ditch party politics - the solution on 13:51 - Jan 16 by SpruceMoose

I agree. Just saying it won't keep them happy.

Well they aren't happy now so nothing to lose.

Maybe when Brexit is reversed they'll all lose faith in politics and stop voting anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024