Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Adam Webster 22:09 - Feb 2 with 7030 viewscidered

Hey guys,

Always had a soft spot for you guys after travelling to Portman road when I was about 14 to watch us (Bristol City) get battered by that brilliant team you had with Dyer, Scowcroft, Wright, Clapham etc. So it’s a shame to see you in your current predicament.

I hate to compound the misery but what the hell were you doing selling us Adam Webster for 3.5m?!?! Even if it does go up to the 8 or whatever it’s a bargain, the guy is immense. I heard he was a good ball playing cb but wow, so cool and calm under pressure, ridiculous passing range, both footed, brings it out charging past 2,3,4 players. Then on top of that he defends like a beast, amazing positioning, super quick and a great leap. Has got to be the best defender I’ve seen down here since I’ve been watching City and I would be surprised if there is a better cb in the championship right now.

I don’t understand how you let him go so cheap?

Adam Webster on 10:26 - Feb 3 with 1275 viewsBluesquid

Adam Webster on 09:30 - Feb 3 by Pinewoodblue

Webster was also handicapped by our style of play. I

Yep, i remember the moans and groans - "omg, even Websters hoofing it now!"
Adam Webster on 10:26 - Feb 3 with 1274 viewsPecker

Adam Webster on 10:20 - Feb 3 by Mullet

How though? Given his role etc.

Mick played a defend at all cost style. Didn't suit Webster. He would be right up Lamberts street, but not Micks.
Adam Webster on 10:29 - Feb 3 with 1263 viewssparks

Adam Webster on 10:26 - Feb 3 by Bluesquid

Yep, i remember the moans and groans - "omg, even Websters hoofing it now!"

Indeed. Webster was neutered by the style of play and his value limited as a result.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Adam Webster on 10:31 - Feb 3 with 1258 viewsagentp

Adam Webster on 10:26 - Feb 3 by Pecker

Mick played a defend at all cost style. Didn't suit Webster. He would be right up Lamberts street, but not Micks.

The fact that Bristol saw enough in him playing that way and Webster was happy to stay with MM negates the argument slightly.

The reality here is somewhere in Nomansland; that area between both sides of the argument.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Adam Webster on 10:31 - Feb 3 with 1258 viewsMullet

Adam Webster on 10:26 - Feb 3 by Pecker

Except we all cooed over the 60 yard passes with either foot and how they set away Lawrence etc.

Are you saying Webster couldn't defend? Because early doors he gave away goals and his man because Berra would step up and he would get caught napping.

His last season he came back from injuries rusty, but that's not style of play either.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Adam Webster on 10:35 - Feb 3 with 1245 views3_5_2

Adam Webster on 10:12 - Feb 3 by Mullet

That isn't true at all.

Ironically, Webster would be perfect for what PL wants our CB to do when they split and pass Only Collins in my view can pass, Chambo is ok at best but Pennington and Toto are awful going longer than 10 yards

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Adam Webster on 13:58 - Feb 3 with 1181 viewscidered

Adam Webster on 09:38 - Feb 3 by Pecker

Hey back. You have a chairman and manager who knows what they are doing, whereas we have an owner who doesn't and a manager who says all the right things, but as it happens, is totally clueless as well. Good luck with your play off push and good on all at Ashton Gate.

Thanks, good luck with your battles both on and off the pitch.
Adam Webster on 14:02 - Feb 3 with 1178 viewsbraveblue

Because our owner smelled a quick profit b
Login to get fewer ads

Adam Webster on 14:59 - Feb 3 with 1157 viewsPhilTWTD

Adam Webster on 23:45 - Feb 2 by cidered

That’s hard to imagine! Although I remember your fans being quite split about him leaving at the time. His CB partner at the moment is Tomas Kalas though who is also seriously impressive so I wonder if that’s helping him look even better...
[Post edited 2 Feb 2019 23:46]

Quite a number of the goals we conceded were down to AW errors over the previous two seasons, while he obviously looked a very capable footballer. He even mentioned his frustrations about it himself and Mick McCarthy told him to take a 'back to basics' approach, concentrating on keeping the ball out of the net, hence the 'even AW's hoofing it now' comments above.

He was also injured very regularly, which probably contributed to his inconsistency here defensively.

As a sidenote to this, Portsmouth fans think we got the wrong end of the deal when we signed him from there, believing Matt Clarke, who went the other way along with £700,000, the better player and very likely to be playing in the Premier League next season!
Adam Webster on 00:18 - Feb 4 with 1026 viewsbournemouthblue

Adam Webster on 14:59 - Feb 3 by PhilTWTD

Quite a number of the goals we conceded were down to AW errors over the previous two seasons, while he obviously looked a very capable footballer. He even mentioned his frustrations about it himself and Mick McCarthy told him to take a 'back to basics' approach, concentrating on keeping the ball out of the net, hence the 'even AW's hoofing it now' comments above.

He was also injured very regularly, which probably contributed to his inconsistency here defensively.

As a sidenote to this, Portsmouth fans think we got the wrong end of the deal when we signed him from there, believing Matt Clarke, who went the other way along with £700,000, the better player and very likely to be playing in the Premier League next season!

Matt Clarke was pretty well thought off but obviously reduced the cost of the Webster fee ultimately

We probably needed Webster more at the time, he certainly looked like he himself would end up being Championship level imho so not a total surprise

Webster obviously has serious resale value if he can fulfil his potential

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Adam Webster on 07:48 - Feb 4 with 989 viewsrfretwell

Adam Webster on 10:20 - Feb 3 by Mullet

How though? Given his role etc.

Yes Cidered, that's not something we really want to hear in our position but it is further evidence of what a good judge of a player Mick McCarthy was. Granted he didn't get every new signing or loan right but he was working with peanuts. Good luck with Citys play off push. I used to watch Norman Hunter and the rest at Ashton Gate as a student at the Poly. Great days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024