Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On the one hand... 12:03 - Mar 12 with 5563 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

...a thread about a former Town player and how gambling and other addictions ruined his life.

...and at the top of the page, a pinned post of gambling tips.

Good luck avoiding gambling in the future kids.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

On the one hand... on 12:05 - Mar 12 with 3232 viewsSitfcB

What were the odds on that?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

On the one hand... on 12:07 - Mar 12 with 3214 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

On the one hand... on 12:05 - Mar 12 by SitfcB

What were the odds on that?

I wouldnt know ;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

On the one hand... on 13:01 - Mar 12 with 3125 viewsRyorry

Being overweight ruins lives.

Ban Hobnobs!*

*joke alert, joke alert, before Phil n Gav ban me ..!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

On the one hand... on 13:20 - Mar 12 with 3086 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

On the one hand... on 13:01 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

Being overweight ruins lives.

Ban Hobnobs!*

*joke alert, joke alert, before Phil n Gav ban me ..!

;-)

I'm not saying ban betting. Im just saying dont promote it.

On the one hand... on 13:24 - Mar 12 with 3074 viewsbuoyant

As you say, it's definitely going to be a problem, if it isn't already.

https://theday.co.uk/stories/thousands-of-children-in-gambling-epidemic

"Statistics show that 55,000 children are problem gamblers, a 120% increase from 2017. A further 70,000 children are at risk of becoming hooked. Private bets, slot machines, and scratchcards are the most common activities, alongside online betting"

UTT

On the one hand... on 13:45 - Mar 12 with 3006 viewsSuperfrans

On the one hand... on 13:20 - Mar 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

;-)

I was discussing this with a friend the other day. We are definitely heading down the road towards a ban on gambling sponsorship and then advertising. It has already happened with smoking/tobacco (both) and booze (sponsorship only) and it is only a matter of time with gambling.

This would punch a massive hole in the finances of football - the clubs, the authorities, the broadcasters. If it were to happen, it would be a disaster for the game. I wonder if the football authorities are planning for the day that this arises. I bet they're not.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

On the one hand... on 13:50 - Mar 12 with 2989 viewsRyorry

;-)

I don't see how someone researching the horses, then writing up his thoughts, is more a promotion of gambling, than adverts for fattening foods are a promotion of weight gain!

On the one hand... on 13:51 - Mar 12 with 2985 viewscaught-in-limbo

;-)

This is the point. No one wants a nanny state. No need for bans.
As you say, don't promote it. Promotion of gambling only leads to its normalisation - and then, over time, that leads to real "societal" problems.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Login to get fewer ads

On the one hand... on 13:52 - Mar 12 with 2976 viewsSpruceMoose

On the one hand... on 13:50 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

I don't see how someone researching the horses, then writing up his thoughts, is more a promotion of gambling, than adverts for fattening foods are a promotion of weight gain!

Hasn't he got uni work he could concentrating on?

Oh hang about, if my memory serves me right you don't really have to worry about that until the third year!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

On the one hand... on 13:56 - Mar 12 with 2963 viewsRyorry

On the one hand... on 13:51 - Mar 12 by caught-in-limbo

This is the point. No one wants a nanny state. No need for bans.
As you say, don't promote it. Promotion of gambling only leads to its normalisation - and then, over time, that leads to real "societal" problems.

It's the moving perimeter boards around football pitches advertising bookies, and players shirts advertising them too, which anyone, even the youngest kids, can't avoid seeing for 90 mins that are by far and away the main problem in normalising gambling - I'd certainly ban those.

On the one hand... on 13:59 - Mar 12 with 2950 viewsSpruceMoose

On the one hand... on 13:56 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

It's the moving perimeter boards around football pitches advertising bookies, and players shirts advertising them too, which anyone, even the youngest kids, can't avoid seeing for 90 mins that are by far and away the main problem in normalising gambling - I'd certainly ban those.

I'd ban kids from football.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

On the one hand... on 14:03 - Mar 12 with 2939 viewsRyorry

On the one hand... on 13:59 - Mar 12 by SpruceMoose

I'd ban kids from football.

Ban life altogether!!!

On the one hand... on 14:05 - Mar 12 with 2930 viewsSpruceMoose

On the one hand... on 14:03 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

Ban life altogether!!!

Ban banning!

On the one hand... on 14:29 - Mar 12 with 2877 viewsjontysnut

there was an ad in the paper today with odds on no deal, extending A50 etc. People will bet on anything - not just sport's problem.
On the one hand... on 14:33 - Mar 12 with 2861 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Dont you?;

"Note — Betway are paying customers back on the first and last race each day if they lose as a free bet up to £10. Skybet are going even better and paying £20 back on the first race every day as cash if you lose — making it a completely risk free bet. "

On the one hand... on 14:36 - Mar 12 with 2844 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Wouldnt disagree.

On the one hand... on 14:37 - Mar 12 with 2841 viewsRyorry

On the one hand... on 14:33 - Mar 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Dont you?;

"Note — Betway are paying customers back on the first and last race each day if they lose as a free bet up to £10. Skybet are going even better and paying £20 back on the first race every day as cash if you lose — making it a completely risk free bet. "

Risk free is not a "gamble"! J2 & others just make use of such freebies, aren't actually risking anything.

On the one hand... on 14:38 - Mar 12 with 2831 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

On the one hand... on 14:03 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

Ban life altogether!!!

You brought up the idea of banning ;-)

On the one hand... on 14:40 - Mar 12 with 2825 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

On the one hand... on 14:37 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

Risk free is not a "gamble"! J2 & others just make use of such freebies, aren't actually risking anything.

Oh crikey.

...thats exactly how the bookies lead people into addictive betting.

"Risk free"... hmmmm. I'll have a think about that.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/aa85485e1efe523889e756456adb0c98/tenor.gif?itemi
[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 14:41]

On the one hand... on 14:41 - Mar 12 with 2814 viewscaught-in-limbo

Exactly. They did it with smoking advertising in the 80s and 90s very effectively.

Shirt sponsorship has to be equally guilty. I don't hold the same level of animosity towards ME that many Town fans do, but selling out to "Magical Vegas" or whatever it is, was an atrocious thing to do for a club like ours. Totally stupid!

#toxic

On the one hand... on 14:42 - Mar 12 with 2809 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

On the one hand... on 14:41 - Mar 12 by caught-in-limbo

Exactly. They did it with smoking advertising in the 80s and 90s very effectively.

Shirt sponsorship has to be equally guilty. I don't hold the same level of animosity towards ME that many Town fans do, but selling out to "Magical Vegas" or whatever it is, was an atrocious thing to do for a club like ours. Totally stupid!

Indeed.

On the one hand... on 14:44 - Mar 12 with 2805 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

On the one hand... on 13:45 - Mar 12 by Superfrans

I was discussing this with a friend the other day. We are definitely heading down the road towards a ban on gambling sponsorship and then advertising. It has already happened with smoking/tobacco (both) and booze (sponsorship only) and it is only a matter of time with gambling.

This would punch a massive hole in the finances of football - the clubs, the authorities, the broadcasters. If it were to happen, it would be a disaster for the game. I wonder if the football authorities are planning for the day that this arises. I bet they're not.

It wouldn't be a disaster, football would survive.

On the one hand... on 14:50 - Mar 12 with 2773 viewscaught-in-limbo

On the one hand... on 14:37 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

Losing money is not fun and it's not not addictive. If you're new to gambling and you win, there's a greater chance you'll do it again. If it's risk free, you don't lose, and you'll be less likely not to bet again.

Betting companies know the statistics better than most, it literally is their business.

They win by offering "freebie" bets. They win by taking money off people. The people who lose most are the ones who don't realise the risks - they tend to be new gamblers, and they are more likely to be kids.

#toxic

On the one hand... on 14:52 - Mar 12 with 2763 viewsRyorry

On the one hand... on 14:50 - Mar 12 by caught-in-limbo

Losing money is not fun and it's not not addictive. If you're new to gambling and you win, there's a greater chance you'll do it again. If it's risk free, you don't lose, and you'll be less likely not to bet again.

Betting companies know the statistics better than most, it literally is their business.

They win by offering "freebie" bets. They win by taking money off people. The people who lose most are the ones who don't realise the risks - they tend to be new gamblers, and they are more likely to be kids.

Speak with J2 about it, he'll give you the lowdown.

On the one hand... on 14:53 - Mar 12 with 2753 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

On the one hand... on 14:50 - Mar 12 by caught-in-limbo

I wonder how many times 'risk free' or 'free bet' gets raised at Gamblers Anonymous meetings?!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024