Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further 21:44 - Apr 25 with 2471 viewsBasuco

Sounds like a very dull and pointless change to an already dull and pointless competition.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/25/promotion-relegation-champions-
Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 21:48 - Apr 25 with 2416 viewsJ2BLUE

He acknowledged that he foresaw an impact on national leagues, arguing they should reduce in size and the top clubs might field junior sides.

He sounds like the biggest **** since Gartside suggested a closed shop two tier Premier League.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 22:03 - Apr 25 with 2371 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 21:48 - Apr 25 by J2BLUE

He acknowledged that he foresaw an impact on national leagues, arguing they should reduce in size and the top clubs might field junior sides.

He sounds like the biggest **** since Gartside suggested a closed shop two tier Premier League.

A full time, permanent, European super league gets a little closer every season.
Football will eat itself.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 22:23 - Apr 25 with 2299 viewsDarth_Koont

True but there's a swathe of ultimately pointless clubs and games in the present Premier League.

It shouldn't be like that but the genie is out of the bottle. If anyone is actually interested in any games not involving the top 6 (who've got that locked down) and not involving relegation in March or April then good on them. They must be seeing something I'm not.

I'd rather see the top teams develop a European rivalry and focus so there's something left for 20-30 other domestic teams to aim for. At the present there's a void.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 22:24]

Pronouns: He/Him

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 22:37 - Apr 25 with 2243 viewsHARRY10

Best news possible if it goes the whole hog.

Let the top six far cough and have the PL as a far more open and competitive league.

I suspect the TV money would drop but then so would the financial gap between the PL and the Championship - as would transfer fees and wages.

Maybe then clubs mights start to set ticket prices at a more realistic price - and we could get back to a more sane way of running the game.
Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 23:56 - Apr 25 with 2103 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 21:48 - Apr 25 by J2BLUE

We wouldn’t be going into div 1 tho!!
Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 06:52 - Apr 26 with 1950 viewsITFC_Forever

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 22:03 - Apr 25 by StochesStotasBlewe

A full time, permanent, European super league gets a little closer every season.

Good, the sooner the better.

Let the big boys and their greed go, and leave a more even playing field for the rest of us.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 08:26 - Apr 26 with 1807 viewsGuthrum

This idea that simply putting on more and more European matches will mean an endlessly increasing pot of money is based on a shaky premise.

Will subscribers be willing to pay higher and higher prices to watch these games on TV (which is what allows the media companies to pay for the rights) - or is it a finite resource already stretched close to the limit? BT and others' struggling attempts to break into the field suggest the latter.

Will the sheer frequency of European matches devalue their interest? As the Chinese league system matures and develops, will it draw Far Eastern money away from Europe?

IMO there is a fair chance that greedy overreach could kill the golden goose.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 08:29 - Apr 26 with 1795 viewsSwansea_Blue

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 22:23 - Apr 25 by Darth_Koont

True but there's a swathe of ultimately pointless clubs and games in the present Premier League.

It shouldn't be like that but the genie is out of the bottle. If anyone is actually interested in any games not involving the top 6 (who've got that locked down) and not involving relegation in March or April then good on them. They must be seeing something I'm not.

I'd rather see the top teams develop a European rivalry and focus so there's something left for 20-30 other domestic teams to aim for. At the present there's a void.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 22:24]

Fair point. Take out the top 6 and the money goes too though. Some may say that’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it may well make the gulf even wider between the richest clubs and the rest. I’m not sure that healthy or helpful for the rest. But then the current situation isn’t either.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 09:40 - Apr 26 with 1701 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 22:03 - Apr 25 by StochesStotasBlewe

I don't actually care about this anymore.

A few years ago it bothered me but that was because I have mates that are long term fans of City, Spurs and so on. But the reality is for every 50,000 genuine fans of these clubs, they now have another 950,000 fans from Asia, Africa, America and so on that are not life long fans. They have chosen to support them because they are successful, the same way a lot of English people have adopted an NFL team.

So let the big teams all leave and form some ridiculous elite league. See how interested PSG and Arsenal fans are when they finish in the bottom two and lose most weeks.

The Premier League can become interesting again with Everton, Wolves, Watford, Leicester, West Ham etc battling it out for the title and it can remain for real fans of real clubs that have grown up supporting their team because they live there or their dad did and their dad before them.

Let all those flocking to the league from overseas, allowing ridiculous TV money to be pumped in and so on to completely devalue it. They'll eventually realise it's a soulless corporate league and yearn for what the rest of us have.

The real fans will lose out. But they are so vastly outnumbered now by plastics.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 09:46 - Apr 26 with 1692 viewsgiant_stow

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 09:40 - Apr 26 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I don't actually care about this anymore.

A few years ago it bothered me but that was because I have mates that are long term fans of City, Spurs and so on. But the reality is for every 50,000 genuine fans of these clubs, they now have another 950,000 fans from Asia, Africa, America and so on that are not life long fans. They have chosen to support them because they are successful, the same way a lot of English people have adopted an NFL team.

So let the big teams all leave and form some ridiculous elite league. See how interested PSG and Arsenal fans are when they finish in the bottom two and lose most weeks.

The Premier League can become interesting again with Everton, Wolves, Watford, Leicester, West Ham etc battling it out for the title and it can remain for real fans of real clubs that have grown up supporting their team because they live there or their dad did and their dad before them.

Let all those flocking to the league from overseas, allowing ridiculous TV money to be pumped in and so on to completely devalue it. They'll eventually realise it's a soulless corporate league and yearn for what the rest of us have.

The real fans will lose out. But they are so vastly outnumbered now by plastics.

I know nothing much about football compared to many on here, but would have thought that if the big boys leave for Europe, they'll just be replaced by a new set of big boys. The league will never be truly competitive unless the money is distributed move evenly.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 09:49 - Apr 26 with 1685 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 09:46 - Apr 26 by giant_stow

I know nothing much about football compared to many on here, but would have thought that if the big boys leave for Europe, they'll just be replaced by a new set of big boys. The league will never be truly competitive unless the money is distributed move evenly.

The only chance the PL and FA would have to make it right would be at the point the big boys left, to ensure that the systems in place ensured everyone had a good shot at winning the league through shrewd signings and good management, not through financial advantage.

Would require fit for purpose FFP and so on, but if they got it right they could protect the league for generations to come to keep it interesting, which they'd really need to do with the traditional big boys gone.

Plenty of teams like Leeds, Villa, Everton, Wolves, Newcastle, West Ham could really emerge.

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 09:54 - Apr 26 with 1669 viewsgiant_stow

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 09:49 - Apr 26 by WarkTheWarkITFC

The only chance the PL and FA would have to make it right would be at the point the big boys left, to ensure that the systems in place ensured everyone had a good shot at winning the league through shrewd signings and good management, not through financial advantage.

Would require fit for purpose FFP and so on, but if they got it right they could protect the league for generations to come to keep it interesting, which they'd really need to do with the traditional big boys gone.

Plenty of teams like Leeds, Villa, Everton, Wolves, Newcastle, West Ham could really emerge.

Yeah, fair dos, if they took the chance to rejig the whole thing as you say that could work.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 10:09 - Apr 26 with 1639 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Looks like the European Cup is about to be devalued even further on 09:54 - Apr 26 by giant_stow

Yeah, fair dos, if they took the chance to rejig the whole thing as you say that could work.

Obviously they wouldn't though.

And in 20 years we'd be moaning about the same 4 teams winning everything again.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024