Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should rape victims give their phones to the police 18:42 - Apr 29 with 4156 viewsgtsb

If it means that some cases can be cleared up very quickly with the correct outcome then it is a yes from me. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48086244
Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:46 - Apr 29 with 2522 viewsfooters

It should depend on what the victim wants. It would need a lot of tact and care from the police to persuade them to do so. Especially since they may well have been talking to friends and family about the trauma. Not sure I'd want some copper poking around my phone immediately after that.

If it could help build the case in the long term then maybe wait for the victim to make a decision ahead of the trial. But asking for it straight away would be tactless imo.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:50 - Apr 29 with 2510 viewsgtsb

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:46 - Apr 29 by footers

It should depend on what the victim wants. It would need a lot of tact and care from the police to persuade them to do so. Especially since they may well have been talking to friends and family about the trauma. Not sure I'd want some copper poking around my phone immediately after that.

If it could help build the case in the long term then maybe wait for the victim to make a decision ahead of the trial. But asking for it straight away would be tactless imo.

What happens if the accused is actually the victim. Vital evidence could be lost. It's a difficult one I agree.
Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:51 - Apr 29 with 2501 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Yes.

If it helps the victims get justice, then it's positive.

If it weeds out people making false allegations or hiding evidence, then it's also positive.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:52 - Apr 29 with 2491 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:46 - Apr 29 by footers

If it becomes the norm. Then I don't see any problem.

The victim will know the process.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:53 - Apr 29 with 2489 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:50 - Apr 29 by gtsb

What happens if the accused is actually the victim. Vital evidence could be lost. It's a difficult one I agree.

Agreed.

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:55 - Apr 29 with 2471 viewsfooters

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:52 - Apr 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

If it becomes the norm. Then I don't see any problem.

The victim will know the process.

And may therefore not wish to report the crime.

It's such a complex, personal crime I really think it should be at the victim's discretion. They've already taken the very difficult first step of reporting it to the police- that relationship should remain as unobtrusive as possible if that's what the victim wants, imo.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:57 - Apr 29 with 2465 viewsSpruceMoose

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:55 - Apr 29 by footers

It's such a complex, personal crime I really think it should be at the victim's discretion. They've already taken the very difficult first step of reporting it to the police- that relationship should remain as unobtrusive as possible if that's what the victim wants, imo.

Why stop at only sexual assault crimes? House gets burgled? Better hand over your phone to make sure it's not an inside job. Get punched in the face? Hand over your phone to see if you'd annoyed anyone.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:58 - Apr 29 with 2464 viewsnoggin

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:55 - Apr 29 by footers

Exactly. A woman may well have shared intimate photos and/or messages and still be the victim of sexual assault. Those messages might persuade the jury against prosecution.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:59 - Apr 29 with 2457 viewsSpruceMoose

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:58 - Apr 29 by noggin

Exactly. A woman may well have shared intimate photos and/or messages and still be the victim of sexual assault. Those messages might persuade the jury against prosecution.

Here's the counter argument to just handing the phone over.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/29/sexual-assault-case-droppe

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:15 - Apr 29 with 2384 viewsGlasgowBlue

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:57 - Apr 29 by SpruceMoose

Why stop at only sexual assault crimes? House gets burgled? Better hand over your phone to make sure it's not an inside job. Get punched in the face? Hand over your phone to see if you'd annoyed anyone.

There is certainly an argument in favour of doing just that to combat excessive insurance fraud.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:19 - Apr 29 with 2398 viewsSpruceMoose

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:15 - Apr 29 by GlasgowBlue

There is certainly an argument in favour of doing just that to combat excessive insurance fraud.

Indeed. We all know whiplash is a made up thing.

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:23 - Apr 29 with 2367 viewsGlasgowBlue

Aren't you the bloke who described 22 complaints of rape by German women in Cologne on New Years Eve 2015 as "a bit of bum pinching"?

Iron Lion Zion

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:29 - Apr 29 with 2372 viewsSpruceMoose

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:23 - Apr 29 by GlasgowBlue

Aren't you the bloke who described 22 complaints of rape by German women in Cologne on New Years Eve 2015 as "a bit of bum pinching"?

I hope it was him, otherwise that's quite the smear on an innocent poster!

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:32 - Apr 29 with 2366 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Doesn’t this potentially encourage assault?

If any man, for example, knows a female has committed a crime or has something they’d get in serious trouble for, there’s bound to be at least one example sadly of a man then assaulting this woman on the basis that she can tell the police but she will also incriminate herself in whatever she has been doing.

This essentially gives psychos a Carte Blanche to attack their partners, colleagues or friends if they know they would only get into trouble if the other party was prepared to get themselves into hot water by way of damning evidence on their phone or email.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:38 - Apr 29 with 2353 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm aware of the positives but I think it is a dangerous thing that could become the norm in all types of cases.

Answer = I don't know, however I am nervous that phone snatching by the police will become a modern day "Super Suss" law.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:40 - Apr 29 with 2344 viewsSpruceMoose

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:38 - Apr 29 by Lord_Lucan

I'm aware of the positives but I think it is a dangerous thing that could become the norm in all types of cases.

Answer = I don't know, however I am nervous that phone snatching by the police will become a modern day "Super Suss" law.

It's easy to see how it could be relied upon/abused by police (especially should they be rather lazy). It's not tough to imagine a situation where the cops want to trawl though your phone just on the off chance, and should you refuse, wash their hands of you.

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:43 - Apr 29 with 2333 viewsfactual_blue

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 18:57 - Apr 29 by SpruceMoose

The 'requirement' to hand over phone data can be applied to any charge, not just rape.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:50 - Apr 29 with 2307 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I appreciate it is a difficult situation, but as with any case these things need to be disclosed.

Hasnt it been the case than non disclosure has led to cases collapsing? We dont want that.

I agree with your example about photos etc, you would hope that the jury would be informed enough to know that doesnt have a bearing on consent.

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:52 - Apr 29 with 2286 viewsGlasgowBlue

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:29 - Apr 29 by SpruceMoose

I hope it was him, otherwise that's quite the smear on an innocent poster!

It was him. He also described the complaints by these women as a "right wing conspiracy".

Iron Lion Zion

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:54 - Apr 29 with 2299 viewsSpruceMoose

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:52 - Apr 29 by GlasgowBlue

It was him. He also described the complaints by these women as a "right wing conspiracy".

Well, I must confess, that passed me by entirely. I'm sure Noggin can answer the charge himself. It's surprising though, he's always struck me as a thoroughly decent sort.

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:57 - Apr 29 with 2289 viewsnoggin

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:54 - Apr 29 by SpruceMoose

Well, I must confess, that passed me by entirely. I'm sure Noggin can answer the charge himself. It's surprising though, he's always struck me as a thoroughly decent sort.

I'm afraid I can't see what GB has written. I'm sure it's not a compliment though.

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:58 - Apr 29 with 2286 viewsSpruceMoose

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:57 - Apr 29 by noggin

I'm afraid I can't see what GB has written. I'm sure it's not a compliment though.

Something about something you may or may not have said about the assaults in Cologne.

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 20:02 - Apr 29 with 2278 viewsnoggin

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 19:58 - Apr 29 by SpruceMoose

Something about something you may or may not have said about the assaults in Cologne.

Ah that one. His memory of what I actually said is a little rusty. I'm not interested in his baiting so I'll leave it to him to scroll back a few years to find my posts.

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 20:03 - Apr 29 with 2272 viewsSpruceMoose

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 20:02 - Apr 29 by noggin

Ah that one. His memory of what I actually said is a little rusty. I'm not interested in his baiting so I'll leave it to him to scroll back a few years to find my posts.

Like I said, I've always thought you were a jolly good egg so it sounded rather out of character.

Anyway, we probably shouldn't divert from what's been a decent thread up until this point.

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 20:03 - Apr 29 with 2258 viewsGlasgowBlue

Should rape victims give their phones to the police on 20:02 - Apr 29 by noggin

Just like Benters post about shooting immigrants, your comments will be remembered for a very long time.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024