Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric car targets 09:34 - Apr 30 with 14798 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting article on the BBC:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48097150

I’d actually like to get an electric car, it would suit my length of journeys and work well. The huge issue is how to actually charge it?

“He said the department was in talks with the Treasury over a plan to subsidise car charging points in people's homes.”

For me this totally misses the point. It’s not the cost of a charging point (I think they are 500-800 GBP) it’s whether it’s actually workable. In many cities the majority of people aren’t like to have driveways so any charging point means running a cable across the path to their car. I have seen this but it’s full of issues.

What if someone trips on it? Who is liable? What if some idiot cuts it in the night? What if they steal it?

There needs to be much more effective thinking from the government on the issue of charging if they want to get anywhere near those targets. I think the will is there for many people but it’s pretty much unworkable in reality at the moment for a large number of people.

In some ways it's a shame that the Japanese stopped funding their hydrogen car research, that would have been easier to implement infrastructure wise.

SB
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 9:38]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Electric car targets on 09:39 - Apr 30 with 4013 viewsManuber

Anyone still batting one out about wanting a hybrid or electric car is an utter melt. Time we stop putting the coal and oil miners out of work and stop feeling shame for driving real cars instead of these pansy putputs.
Electric car targets on 09:40 - Apr 30 with 4012 viewsStokieBlue

Electric car targets on 09:39 - Apr 30 by Manuber

Anyone still batting one out about wanting a hybrid or electric car is an utter melt. Time we stop putting the coal and oil miners out of work and stop feeling shame for driving real cars instead of these pansy putputs.

Nice first post. Obviously someone is bored today.

Guess one has to hide when they are talking such bobbins.

SB
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 9:41]

Electric car targets on 09:44 - Apr 30 with 3991 viewsManuber

Electric car targets on 09:40 - Apr 30 by StokieBlue

SB

First post, last post, bored, jumping for joy - it doesn't matter; I am tired of real working people being denied real working jobs - what is so 'bobbins' about that?
Electric car targets on 09:45 - Apr 30 with 3990 viewsStokieBlue

Electric car targets on 09:44 - Apr 30 by Manuber

First post, last post, bored, jumping for joy - it doesn't matter; I am tired of real working people being denied real working jobs - what is so 'bobbins' about that?

Everything?

SB

Electric car targets on 09:53 - Apr 30 with 3978 viewsGuthrum

Electric car targets on 09:44 - Apr 30 by Manuber

Plenty of 'real working jobs' in renewables, if we went for it properly as an industry. Oil (and particularly gas) will be around for a while, as a means of generating electricity (but much more efficient than individual ICEs). There's only a handful of people work in coalmining in the UK nowadays.

Most importantly, if you want an environment your working people can actually live in (including water and food supplies), then something needs to be done about pollution and CO2 output, sharpish.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Electric car targets on 09:56 - Apr 30 with 3963 viewsSaleAway

Hydrogen fuel cells have not been forgotten, but the infrastructure and cost is still out of reach for personal cars.... definitely the way forward for freight and commercial vehicles though.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Electric car targets on 09:57 - Apr 30 with 3957 viewsLord_Lucan

Electric car targets on 09:40 - Apr 30 by StokieBlue

SB

Is ManUber a cryptic Taximan perhaps?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Electric car targets on 09:59 - Apr 30 with 3955 viewsManuber

Electric car targets on 09:45 - Apr 30 by StokieBlue

Everything?

SB

Based on what evidence? The glove is slipping in our society every day and the real facts are ignored.

This graph shows that Scientists might group over the next 25years, but that number alone is less than half of the oil and coal miners combined. Not like Joe Public can become a scientist over night- another example of boffs being narcissists and thinking that they should rule the world.
Login to get fewer ads

Electric car targets on 10:13 - Apr 30 with 3928 viewsCoachRob

China are investing billions in NEV research and of course this comes from the government. The UK doesn't seem to know which way it is facing at the moment, Innovate UK is given a poultry sum to invest in UK start ups but generally investment has to come from the private sector due to the crowding in mythology.

The exponential growth of sales of NEV's in China has led to government having to provide the infrastructure to keep up with demand. The UK government will continue to hide behind the 'chicken and egg' scenario.

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/03/article/beijing-wants-100000-hydrogen-cars-by-
Electric car targets on 10:17 - Apr 30 with 3917 viewsBlueBadger

Electric car targets on 09:39 - Apr 30 by Manuber

You are so edgy I've just cut myself reading that.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 10:18]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Electric car targets on 10:18 - Apr 30 with 3905 viewsManuber

Electric car targets on 10:17 - Apr 30 by BlueBadger

You are so edgy I've just cut myself reading that.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 10:18]

Best send for a nurse then
Electric car targets on 10:19 - Apr 30 with 3909 viewsBlueBadger

Electric car targets on 10:18 - Apr 30 by Manuber

Best send for a nurse then

Why would I waste a busy health professional's time on a simple cut?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Electric car targets on 10:19 - Apr 30 with 3908 viewsfooters

Electric car targets on 10:13 - Apr 30 by CoachRob

China are investing billions in NEV research and of course this comes from the government. The UK doesn't seem to know which way it is facing at the moment, Innovate UK is given a poultry sum to invest in UK start ups but generally investment has to come from the private sector due to the crowding in mythology.

The exponential growth of sales of NEV's in China has led to government having to provide the infrastructure to keep up with demand. The UK government will continue to hide behind the 'chicken and egg' scenario.

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/03/article/beijing-wants-100000-hydrogen-cars-by-

They've got some ambitious targets in China. Mainly electric vehicles by 2025, isn't it? NIO and other manufacturers are producing some good cars right now but as ever it seems to be batteries holding up major progress.

I sadly do not know much about batteries.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Electric car targets on 10:20 - Apr 30 with 3905 viewsBlueBadger

Electric car targets on 09:57 - Apr 30 by Lord_Lucan

Is ManUber a cryptic Taximan perhaps?

I fear this one's going to end in wedding photos.

Electric car targets on 10:22 - Apr 30 with 3907 viewsElephantintheRoom

Electric cars are just a hobby horse for middle class eco-warriors at present. There is no prospect of them ever being a practical alternative to real cars in this country so to pretend otherwise is farcical. What do you think your 2nd hand market for today's near useless electric cars is going to be?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Electric car targets on 10:23 - Apr 30 with 3897 viewsGuthrum

Electric car targets on 10:19 - Apr 30 by footers

They've got some ambitious targets in China. Mainly electric vehicles by 2025, isn't it? NIO and other manufacturers are producing some good cars right now but as ever it seems to be batteries holding up major progress.

I sadly do not know much about batteries.

We really need a technology easier to produce than Lithium Ion batteries (tho lithium itself is extremely plentiful), but which does not involve the problem of transporting hydrogen like fuel cells.

Electric car targets on 10:24 - Apr 30 with 3882 viewsManuber

Electric car targets on 10:19 - Apr 30 by BlueBadger

Why would I waste a busy health professional's time on a simple cut?

Why wouldn't you dictate the severity of your made up injury sooner?
Electric car targets on 10:26 - Apr 30 with 3884 viewsBlueBadger

Electric car targets on 10:24 - Apr 30 by Manuber

Why wouldn't you dictate the severity of your made up injury sooner?

Oh man, it's almost like I was dicking about on an internet forum.

Electric car targets on 10:27 - Apr 30 with 3873 viewsManuber

Electric car targets on 10:26 - Apr 30 by BlueBadger

is the right answer... have a silver medal chap, you got there in the end.
Electric car targets on 10:27 - Apr 30 with 3880 viewsSwansea_Blue

Electric car targets on 10:26 - Apr 30 by BlueBadger

No idea why you're bothering tbh

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Electric car targets on 10:27 - Apr 30 with 3877 viewsBlueBadger

Electric car targets on 10:27 - Apr 30 by Swansea_Blue

No idea why you're bothering tbh

Me neither, tbf.

Electric car targets on 10:28 - Apr 30 with 3878 viewsGuthrum

Electric car targets on 10:22 - Apr 30 by ElephantintheRoom

Electric cars are just a hobby horse for middle class eco-warriors at present. There is no prospect of them ever being a practical alternative to real cars in this country so to pretend otherwise is farcical. What do you think your 2nd hand market for today's near useless electric cars is going to be?

It's actually growing quite rapidly. I drove past a dedicated 2nd hand electric car showroom over the weekend.

Electric car targets on 10:33 - Apr 30 with 3860 viewsBlueBadger

Electric car targets on 09:59 - Apr 30 by Manuber

Based on what evidence? The glove is slipping in our society every day and the real facts are ignored.

This graph shows that Scientists might group over the next 25years, but that number alone is less than half of the oil and coal miners combined. Not like Joe Public can become a scientist over night- another example of boffs being narcissists and thinking that they should rule the world.

Looks legit.

Electric car targets on 10:46 - Apr 30 with 3829 viewsStokieBlue

Electric car targets on 09:59 - Apr 30 by Manuber

So, to clarify.

- There should be an increase in oil and mining jobs. I guess as an extension you don't believe in climate change.

- "Boffs" are narcissists because they know things. I guess by extension your opinion is as valid as experts.

I think we can see where this is going. Well done.

SB

Electric car targets on 10:49 - Apr 30 with 3822 viewsStokieBlue

Electric car targets on 10:13 - Apr 30 by CoachRob

The Chinese are doing well with regards to renewables (although they do have fossil fuel issues). The fact they don't have such a large legacy infrastructure does help them though. They also have a lot more cheap manpower and more funds.

What infrastructure would be possible in the UK to allow people to charge from their terrace houses?

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024