Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen 12:26 - May 4 with 9209 viewsLord_Lucan

Wondering if anyone had been to the Shaping a Generation exhibition in Leicester. I wouldn't mind going but Leicester of all places?

http://shapingageneration.co.uk/

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:43 - May 5 with 3290 viewsGlasgowBlue

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 20:20 - May 4 by jaykay

yes they were and chasing me and my mates (as per avatar) at bank holidays at clacton or yarmouth. i remember a group of mods from landseer rd who i went to the civic college with in 64 , who were a hard bunch.
the so called evolving mods remind of week end re enactors

The people on Vespas who were chasing you in Clacton evolved from modernist jazz scene and culture in the mid to late 1950's.

People who pigeonhole Mods as existing in a small time period between 1964 - 1967 don't understand Modernism. Being a Mod is not about the "Weller hairstyle, the zoot suits and the vespas. Or is it about one particular style of music. It's about being modern, fresh and of the moment.

So as said, Mod is constantly evolving. The Skinheads of the late 60's and early 70's evolved from Mod culture. As did the Northern Soul scene from the late 70's. The is a case to say that the Acid Jazz scene of the late 80's and early 90's was an evolution from Mod culture, particularly as Eddie Piller, a Mod DJ, was at the forefront of that movement.

You could also argue that those people who turned away from Weller* when he dabbled in soul and jazz with the style council were not being true to the ethos of Mod culture. IMO The Paris Match was a true mod anthem.

*I expect to get grief from Lucan on this ;-)

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:51 - May 5 with 3260 viewsLord_Lucan

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:43 - May 5 by GlasgowBlue

The people on Vespas who were chasing you in Clacton evolved from modernist jazz scene and culture in the mid to late 1950's.

People who pigeonhole Mods as existing in a small time period between 1964 - 1967 don't understand Modernism. Being a Mod is not about the "Weller hairstyle, the zoot suits and the vespas. Or is it about one particular style of music. It's about being modern, fresh and of the moment.

So as said, Mod is constantly evolving. The Skinheads of the late 60's and early 70's evolved from Mod culture. As did the Northern Soul scene from the late 70's. The is a case to say that the Acid Jazz scene of the late 80's and early 90's was an evolution from Mod culture, particularly as Eddie Piller, a Mod DJ, was at the forefront of that movement.

You could also argue that those people who turned away from Weller* when he dabbled in soul and jazz with the style council were not being true to the ethos of Mod culture. IMO The Paris Match was a true mod anthem.

Football casuals also evolved from Mods.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 10:01 - May 6 with 3190 viewsBluespeed225

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 19:52 - May 4 by Bluespeed225

I love hearing tales from back then, but it was a 3 year thing, tops, for most. A friend of mine I shall be drinking with after the game tommorow was an original, lived it, clothes, gigs, clubs, the first SS180 seen in Ippo( he moved to London in 63’)bought from Grimsteads, but has little of the knowledge we have picked up over the last 40 years. For the record, the Weller look on fat mid 50 year olds is a source of amusement and embarrassment to the rest of us! I’m more mid century/Ivy now.

I raised this thread to my friend yesterday, as we drank the afternoon away on his Dove loyalty card, very pleasant, and he seemed to think his timeline was 63-67, then 68-72 running a clothes shop on Kings Road called ‘The Westerner’ which sold ‘cowboy’ clothes, tasseled jackets and jeans. Owned by John Simons, who he said turned down the Levi’s franchise at the time. Sailors and Yank servicemen would bring stuff back from US and sell to him, denim shirts being rare and flying off the shelves if they even got on the shelves! Tony Curtis, Clapton, Daltry, all customers, and, important to this thread, a large Post Mod clientle. Embroidery on the shirts went large, and those peace V sign patches along with Smiley Face (pre Acid House)ones paid his wage.
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 10:05 - May 6 with 3187 viewsfergalsharkey

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:39 - May 4 by gtsb

Those blokes in their fifties and sixties who still think they are twenty one and sport a Paul Weller haircut do make me laugh. They look ridiculous. There are one or two round here like that.

They all weigh 8 stone as well.

Like Albert steptoes in zoots suits.

Poll: Cook out?

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 10:41 - May 6 with 3159 viewsColin_Viljoen

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:28 - May 5 by blueislander

Bluesville at The Manor Ballroom on a Monday night was a must. Fantastic R&B bands. I honestly cannot recall whether there were any specific pubs, but The Gondolier coffee bar next to The Cock and Pie was popular.

Rod the Mod (Stewart) played the Manor in about 71 just before Maggie May charted
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 11:57 - May 6 with 3120 viewsBLUEBEAT

An original mid-60s era Ipswich Mod published a book recently. Fictional, but largely based around his experiences on the Ipswich/London scenes.

I haven’t bought a copy due to the criminal inclusion of a P-range Vespa as cover art (this model wasn’t available until 1977!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/East-Coast-Blues-1960s-Odyssey/dp/1782226346/

Poll: W or W

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 05:57 - May 7 with 3070 viewsfergalsharkey

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 11:57 - May 6 by BLUEBEAT

An original mid-60s era Ipswich Mod published a book recently. Fictional, but largely based around his experiences on the Ipswich/London scenes.

I haven’t bought a copy due to the criminal inclusion of a P-range Vespa as cover art (this model wasn’t available until 1977!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/East-Coast-Blues-1960s-Odyssey/dp/1782226346/

That's right, if the artwork you choose, however good to look at isn't historically correct then by association the book must be bad.

Poll: Cook out?

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 08:08 - May 7 with 3024 viewsBLUEBEAT

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 05:57 - May 7 by fergalsharkey

That's right, if the artwork you choose, however good to look at isn't historically correct then by association the book must be bad.

Yeah. You wouldn’t buy a book about the WWII Eastern Front if the cover art featured a Scud, would you?

Login to get fewer ads

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 08:30 - May 7 with 3016 viewsblueislander

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 10:41 - May 6 by Colin_Viljoen

Rod the Mod (Stewart) played the Manor in about 71 just before Maggie May charted

He was part of Steampacket which wa s Long John Baldry, Julie Driscoll and The Brian Auger Trinity. They were fantastic.
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:04 - May 7 with 2985 viewsBLUEBEAT

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 08:30 - May 7 by blueislander

He was part of Steampacket which wa s Long John Baldry, Julie Driscoll and The Brian Auger Trinity. They were fantastic.

...and Shotgun Express.

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:44 - May 7 with 2971 viewsblueislander

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:04 - May 7 by BLUEBEAT

...and Shotgun Express.

That was after Steampacket I think, and included Fleetwood and McVie. I never saw them in Ipswich.
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:04 - May 7 with 2957 viewsnoggin

Suffolk R&B group.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:53 - May 7 with 2947 viewsblueislander

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:04 - May 7 by noggin

Suffolk R&B group.

Are they contemporary or now old gits?
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 14:23 - May 7 with 2938 viewsnoggin

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:53 - May 7 by blueislander

Are they contemporary or now old gits?

Old fellas now. They were based in Leiston.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 14:54 - May 7 with 2928 viewsblueislander

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 14:23 - May 7 by noggin

Old fellas now. They were based in Leiston.

Name vaguely rings a bell , but can't recall seeing them. The top Ipswich R&B band of that era were Nick and The Nomads. Geno Washington who was based at USAF Bentwaters started his UK career locally with locally based musicians , but soon went to London. In the late 60s his Ram Jam Band appeared regularly at Exeter University , and , I assume , other universities.
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 15:01 - May 7 with 2919 viewsHeathlander

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:43 - May 5 by GlasgowBlue

The Paris Match by the style Council is one of my favourite ever songs :)

80's mod revivalist :)
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 15:05 - May 7 with 2912 viewsballycastle

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 14:54 - May 7 by blueislander

Name vaguely rings a bell , but can't recall seeing them. The top Ipswich R&B band of that era were Nick and The Nomads. Geno Washington who was based at USAF Bentwaters started his UK career locally with locally based musicians , but soon went to London. In the late 60s his Ram Jam Band appeared regularly at Exeter University , and , I assume , other universities.

I attended school with Geno Washington's son also Geno we were great friends, we are still in contact.
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 15:09 - May 7 with 2907 viewsblueislander

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 15:05 - May 7 by ballycastle

I attended school with Geno Washington's son also Geno we were great friends, we are still in contact.

Is he still performing with The Ram Jam band? I last saw him about 15 years ago at an Exeter Alumni event.
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 17:30 - May 7 with 2881 viewsBLUEBEAT

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:44 - May 7 by blueislander

That was after Steampacket I think, and included Fleetwood and McVie. I never saw them in Ipswich.

Loads of cool Mod bands from Ipswich/Suffolk

Quite a hot bed, in fact, but rarely talked about.

There’s a book in there somewhere.
[Post edited 7 May 2019 17:35]

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 17:31 - May 7 with 2881 viewsBLUEBEAT

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:44 - May 7 by blueislander

I have a Bluesville flyer with them on somewhere

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 17:34 - May 7 with 2880 viewsBLUEBEAT

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:04 - May 7 by noggin

Suffolk R&B group.

Nix Nomads were an Ipswich Mod/R&B band...

Famed for having longer hair than The Pretty Things. That’s wild for 1965!

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 17:40 - May 7 with 2876 viewsPinewoodblue

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 15:09 - May 7 by blueislander

Is he still performing with The Ram Jam band? I last saw him about 15 years ago at an Exeter Alumni event.

http://genowashington.blogspot.com/

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 18:20 - May 7 with 2857 viewsblueislander

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 17:34 - May 7 by BLUEBEAT

Nix Nomads were an Ipswich Mod/R&B band...

Famed for having longer hair than The Pretty Things. That’s wild for 1965!

For some strange reason when the record was issued Nick and the Nomads became Nix Nomads. Soon after “Nick” left to join a Southend based band called The Pink Fairies.
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 18:31 - May 7 with 2851 viewsBLUEBEAT

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 18:20 - May 7 by blueislander

For some strange reason when the record was issued Nick and the Nomads became Nix Nomads. Soon after “Nick” left to join a Southend based band called The Pink Fairies.

They started out as The Fairies when based in Colchester.

I have their 7” too. More cool R&B

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 18:36 - May 7 with 2843 viewsblueislander

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 18:31 - May 7 by BLUEBEAT

They started out as The Fairies when based in Colchester.

I have their 7” too. More cool R&B

I thought it was Southend , but you are no doubt correct. I don’t recall them playing in Ipswich until “Nick” joined them. I saw them at The Civic College in The Ropewalk.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024