Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vote Rory Stewart.... 19:54 - Jun 11 with 6852 viewsunstableblue

.... he is the word, and the word is Rory

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:05 - Jun 12 with 1592 viewsStokieBlue

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 20:05 - Jun 11 by J2BLUE

Thankfully he has no chance.

Why thankfully?

You actually prefer Boris?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:07 - Jun 12 with 1586 viewsGeoffSentence

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 08:32 - Jun 12 by GlasgowBlue

Rory Stewart is a traditional one nation Tory. He has very little in common with the Lib Dem’s.

Given that, I am going off him.

At least he's not a feckwit like the rest of the candidates for tory leadership.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:12 - Jun 12 with 1582 viewsSwansea_Blue

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 08:32 - Jun 12 by GlasgowBlue

Rory Stewart is a traditional one nation Tory. He has very little in common with the Lib Dem’s.

If anything that proves he's more aligned to the Lib Dems at the moment (not that he'd consider it, I'm sure).

One nation Toryism is dead; the proof is in the impacts of their tenure this decade. Stewart is bang out of touch with that. He comes across as a very different beast to the high profile Tories we continually get yapping on our screens about complete fantasies, the ones who are in complete denial (worse, outright lying) about the devastating effects of 'austerity', the split they've engineered through their approach to Brexit, the impact of their immigration policies, of the the cuts to schools, councils and other essential services, their underlining of order through cuts to the police and the judiciary, their mishandling of the probation and prison services, etc., etc., etc. The list is almost endless.

At the moment the Tories are only capable of 'F*ck the Nation' Toryism, not Toryism of the One Nation type.

So in that regard, he sticks out like a sore thumb. Whether he could turn the party round to get back to the traditional vision he believes in, I've no idea though. He's probably one for the future.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:20 - Jun 12 with 1577 viewsGlasgowBlue

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:12 - Jun 12 by Swansea_Blue

If anything that proves he's more aligned to the Lib Dems at the moment (not that he'd consider it, I'm sure).

One nation Toryism is dead; the proof is in the impacts of their tenure this decade. Stewart is bang out of touch with that. He comes across as a very different beast to the high profile Tories we continually get yapping on our screens about complete fantasies, the ones who are in complete denial (worse, outright lying) about the devastating effects of 'austerity', the split they've engineered through their approach to Brexit, the impact of their immigration policies, of the the cuts to schools, councils and other essential services, their underlining of order through cuts to the police and the judiciary, their mishandling of the probation and prison services, etc., etc., etc. The list is almost endless.

At the moment the Tories are only capable of 'F*ck the Nation' Toryism, not Toryism of the One Nation type.

So in that regard, he sticks out like a sore thumb. Whether he could turn the party round to get back to the traditional vision he believes in, I've no idea though. He's probably one for the future.

I don’t think he can win before we leave the EU. The party are going to elect a Brexiteer. Post Brexit is another ball game and I agree he is one for the future.

The hard right, like the hard left, will eat themselves. The majority if the ERG will break if and join Farage and we will see a return of one nation Toryism.

Does anyone know if Ken Clarke has declared for Rory Stewart?

Edit. I see he has
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1937224/Video-Ken-Clarke-shows-supp
[Post edited 12 Jun 2019 9:22]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:24 - Jun 12 with 1561 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 08:48 - Jun 12 by GlasgowBlue

Has Roger Daltrey hacked your account?

Too much aspartame this morning?
Does Rory back a second referendum?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:25 - Jun 12 with 1559 viewsGeoffSentence

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:20 - Jun 12 by GlasgowBlue

I don’t think he can win before we leave the EU. The party are going to elect a Brexiteer. Post Brexit is another ball game and I agree he is one for the future.

The hard right, like the hard left, will eat themselves. The majority if the ERG will break if and join Farage and we will see a return of one nation Toryism.

Does anyone know if Ken Clarke has declared for Rory Stewart?

Edit. I see he has
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1937224/Video-Ken-Clarke-shows-supp
[Post edited 12 Jun 2019 9:22]

How would you sum up one nation toryism GB?

My summary would be, the rich and powerful doling out just enough goodies to keep the hoi polloi from rising up against the rich and powerful.

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:27 - Jun 12 with 1552 viewsGlasgowBlue

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:24 - Jun 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Too much aspartame this morning?
Does Rory back a second referendum?

No.

Iron Lion Zion

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:32 - Jun 12 with 1544 viewsSwansea_Blue

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:27 - Jun 12 by GlasgowBlue

No.

He speaks really well. His launch of his leadership bid contained some of the most compelling and powerful words I can remember coming out of a politician's mouth for some time.

I'm not getting carried away, as he's still only the least worst of a bad bunch. But he's the least worst by some distance.

Login to get fewer ads

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:44 - Jun 12 with 1525 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:27 - Jun 12 by GlasgowBlue

No.

Which is the point I was making to Unstableblue.

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:44 - Jun 12 with 1527 viewsGuthrum

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:25 - Jun 12 by GeoffSentence

My summary would be, the rich and powerful doling out just enough goodies to keep the hoi polloi from rising up against the rich and powerful.

Historically, a lot of them had a genuine desire for social and economic improvement. People like Alec Douglas-Home and Harold Macmillan had been junior MPs suring the Great Depression, had seen the poverty among their constituents and felt a very great urgency to never go back there.

The modern welfare state was planned and designed on Churchill's watch in the early 1940s. No Conservative government in the '50s, '60s or '70s tried to dismantle it. They didn't deregulate or denationalise. Consensus was the order of the day.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:45 - Jun 12 with 1524 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:12 - Jun 12 by Swansea_Blue

Is one a little disillusioned ?

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:47 - Jun 12 with 1516 viewsSwansea_Blue

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:45 - Jun 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Is one a little disillusioned ?

Oh no, this is a good day!

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:01 - Jun 12 with 1498 viewsIpswichKnight

He's much more to my taste as a centre, centre right Tory. However if the polls are to be believed he would only win 51 seats as Tory Leader.

Rory Stewart - 51
Labour -213
Lib Dems - 56
Brexit - 252
SNP - 59
Others - 18

If they elect Boris

Boris - 395
Labour - 290
Lib Dems - 32
Brexit - 50
SNP - 60
Others - 18

I know polls need to be taken with a large pinch of salt but I fear Tory MP's will look at this and go well I quite fancy keeping my seat lets put an X in the box next to Boris.
Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:16 - Jun 12 with 1471 viewsStokieBlue

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:01 - Jun 12 by IpswichKnight

He's much more to my taste as a centre, centre right Tory. However if the polls are to be believed he would only win 51 seats as Tory Leader.

Rory Stewart - 51
Labour -213
Lib Dems - 56
Brexit - 252
SNP - 59
Others - 18

If they elect Boris

Boris - 395
Labour - 290
Lib Dems - 32
Brexit - 50
SNP - 60
Others - 18

I know polls need to be taken with a large pinch of salt but I fear Tory MP's will look at this and go well I quite fancy keeping my seat lets put an X in the box next to Boris.

My god.

Boris with a 105 seat majority doesn't bear thinking about.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:25 - Jun 12 with 1454 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Rory Stewart - 51
Labour -213
Lib Dems - 56
Brexit - 252
SNP - 59
Others - 18

If they elect Boris

Boris - 395
Labour - 290
Lib Dems - 32
Brexit - 50
SNP - 60
Others - 18

Have seen that poll linked in the other thread but the Brexit Party share of seats looks astonishingly high. And I say that as someone who thinks it is incredibly naive to think they couldn’t turn their European Election success into some seats in a GE

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:39 - Jun 12 with 1437 viewsBeckets

Rory Stewart - 51
Labour -213
Lib Dems - 56
Brexit - 252
SNP - 59
Others - 18

If they elect Boris

Boris - 395
Labour - 290
Lib Dems - 32
Brexit - 50
SNP - 60
Others - 18

You have a total of 850 seats in the second example so you need to redo them.
Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:45 - Jun 12 with 1426 viewsGlasgowBlue

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:25 - Jun 12 by GeoffSentence

Sorry 😐 was out for a run. Guthers summed it up very well. Ken Clarke is a modern day example of one nation conservatism.

Iron Lion Zion

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:46 - Jun 12 with 1422 viewsGeoffSentence

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:39 - Jun 12 by Beckets

So that's how boris gets his majority, creating another 200 odd safe tory seats.

Clever stuff.

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:48 - Jun 12 with 1416 viewsNo9

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:25 - Jun 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Have seen that poll linked in the other thread but the Brexit Party share of seats looks astonishingly high. And I say that as someone who thinks it is incredibly naive to think they couldn’t turn their European Election success into some seats in a GE

Although on the basis of the 2016 vote Peterb'ro, 2019 was a good test for any brexit party aspiring to a Westminster seat = they failed
Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:49 - Jun 12 with 1409 viewsGlasgowBlue

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:32 - Jun 12 by Swansea_Blue

He speaks really well. His launch of his leadership bid contained some of the most compelling and powerful words I can remember coming out of a politician's mouth for some time.

I'm not getting carried away, as he's still only the least worst of a bad bunch. But he's the least worst by some distance.

I had to be somewhere during his speech but I couldn’t help but stay to listen.

He certainly is connecting with people.

Shame the Tory leadership rules only allows two candidates go before the members.

Iron Lion Zion

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:50 - Jun 12 with 1406 viewsIpswichKnight

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:39 - Jun 12 by Beckets

Sorry yeah took the Labour vote from the graph above, Labour vote under Boris would be 151
Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:53 - Jun 12 with 1396 viewsGeoffSentence

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 09:44 - Jun 12 by Guthrum

Historically, a lot of them had a genuine desire for social and economic improvement. People like Alec Douglas-Home and Harold Macmillan had been junior MPs suring the Great Depression, had seen the poverty among their constituents and felt a very great urgency to never go back there.

The modern welfare state was planned and designed on Churchill's watch in the early 1940s. No Conservative government in the '50s, '60s or '70s tried to dismantle it. They didn't deregulate or denationalise. Consensus was the order of the day.

So basically, what I said.

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:58 - Jun 12 with 1380 viewsgazzer1999

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 08:46 - Jun 12 by clive_baker

He voted against EU citizens having the right to remain in the UK. Against investigation into Iraq war. For the bedroom tax. For reducing welfare. For repealing human rights act.

I don’t get the sudden obsession with this clown.

Bedroom tax, yawn zzzzzzzz
Forgotten about that bull from the left, no such thing and you know it.
Vote Rory Stewart.... on 11:03 - Jun 12 with 1370 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 10:48 - Jun 12 by No9

Although on the basis of the 2016 vote Peterb'ro, 2019 was a good test for any brexit party aspiring to a Westminster seat = they failed

Not really - whilst Peterborough did have a high Leave vote % it ranks around 100th for constituencies in that respect, based on analysis of the referendum. And the margin of defeat was small

Seems fairly likely that they could win some seats in a GE if Brexit is still up in the air, and the 2 main parties remain a shambles

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 11:32 - Jun 12 with 1335 viewsNo9

Vote Rory Stewart.... on 11:03 - Jun 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not really - whilst Peterborough did have a high Leave vote % it ranks around 100th for constituencies in that respect, based on analysis of the referendum. And the margin of defeat was small

Seems fairly likely that they could win some seats in a GE if Brexit is still up in the air, and the 2 main parties remain a shambles

The two parties that have been the main parties have differentiations problems, the tories may well go the same way as their Canadian counterparts.
Labour have to decide what they want to be internally, e.g. it's the members.

Brexit is a rich mans party with a mission to take control for the benefit of their own enterrpises,feck democracy, it is likely to go the same way as UKip when/ if Farage decides to go & live in America unless the tories give Farage a safe seat or a place in the HoL
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024