Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You might want to sit down before reading this 13:24 - Jul 24 with 16931 viewsBrixtonBlue

I reckon Boris might be a good PM. My reasoning - my missus has a 'political' job (I won't say more than that) and has had dealings with Boris on many occasions when he was Mayor.

First thing to note - while he himself is an incompetent, he tends to surround himself with a very good team. They advise/make the decisions and he's just the public face.

He'll happily do anything that makes him look good, which means populist measures that everyone agrees would be good (i.e. a fair living wage, benefits for the elderly and disabled, etc.) are more likely to happen.

He's big on green issues (even if it's just to make himself look good) and would cycle everywhere, often being late for meetings because of it.

He's also a very good public speaker, which will be important as PM. She said he'd be given a rather dry brief on a subject, read through it scribbling unreadable (to everyone else) notes on it, then half an hour later be presenting it in a very witty, engaging way, without using any notes. This is actually his one skill, but he's very good at it.

When he talks about "let's get to work" he doesn't mean himself, he means his team. And if he carries on picking a good one it could work out.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:26 - Jul 24 with 5272 viewsfooters

Back on the booze hard now, eh, Dollerz?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:28 - Jul 24 with 5240 viewsStokieBlue

I admire your optimism.

However.

"First thing to note - while he himself is an incompetent, he tends to surround himself with a very good team. They advise/make the decisions and he's just the public face. "

Doesn't seem to work very well given everyone still think he's incompetent and he makes incompetent decisions (Zaghari-Ratcliffe for instance).

"He's also a very good public speaker, which will be important as PM."

Not convinced by this either. He's a bumbling speaker who isn't very clear and rambles to cover that up. Often you don't even understand the point he is making.

"When he talks about "let's get to work" he doesn't mean himself, he means his team. And if he carries on picking a good one it could work out."

I can only assume you haven't been following the cabinet and adviser picks as it kind of renders this point mute.

It's going to be a disaster.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:28 - Jul 24 with 5237 viewsElderGrizzly

I’ve worked with him more recently at the FCO. He’s the worst Foreign Secretary in our history, hated by those he works with due to his ignorance and wilful disregard for details/facts and utterly incompetent.

So yay?!
You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:29 - Jul 24 with 5226 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

'He's also a very good public speaker, which will be important as PM. She said he'd be given a rather dry brief on a subject, read through it scribbling unreadable (to everyone else) notes on it, then half an hour later be presenting it in a very witty, engaging way, without using any notes. This is actually his one skill, but he's very good at it'.

You don't mention that his witty, engaging speech contains actual facts. Perhaps he was given a dry brief on Brexit and made it fun by making up £350m and putting it on a bus.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:34 - Jul 24 with 5188 viewsGrandadDel

You talk a lot of sense. I think he is a refreshing change from the stuffy politicians who always try to hide what they really say and mean.Boris might have some unpopular opinions among the loony left, but at least he always gives them to us straight! I think this could be a good period for us Brits. He will certainly be able to make Corbyn look silly, he is the main threat to Britain right now. Very dangerous and crazy man!
You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:34 - Jul 24 with 5184 viewsBrixtonBlue

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:26 - Jul 24 by footers

Back on the booze hard now, eh, Dollerz?

Ouch. No, I've given up for good.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:37 - Jul 24 with 5160 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

It's a depressing state of affairs really.

I encouraged my kids they could be anything they wanted to be. At the age of 3 my youngest was tucking his shirt in and brushing his own hair, which would nowadays make him massively overqualified to be Prime Minister.

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:37 - Jul 24 with 5160 viewsStokieBlue

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:34 - Jul 24 by GrandadDel

You talk a lot of sense. I think he is a refreshing change from the stuffy politicians who always try to hide what they really say and mean.Boris might have some unpopular opinions among the loony left, but at least he always gives them to us straight! I think this could be a good period for us Brits. He will certainly be able to make Corbyn look silly, he is the main threat to Britain right now. Very dangerous and crazy man!

Excellent buzzword bingo.

- loony left
- dangerous and crazy man (JC)
- stuffy politicians
- gives it to us straight
- good period for us Brits

Good work.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:38 - Jul 24 with 5156 viewsBrixtonBlue

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:28 - Jul 24 by StokieBlue

I admire your optimism.

However.

"First thing to note - while he himself is an incompetent, he tends to surround himself with a very good team. They advise/make the decisions and he's just the public face. "

Doesn't seem to work very well given everyone still think he's incompetent and he makes incompetent decisions (Zaghari-Ratcliffe for instance).

Not convinced by this either. He's a bumbling speaker who isn't very clear and rambles to cover that up. Often you don't even understand the point he is making.

"When he talks about "let's get to work" he doesn't mean himself, he means his team. And if he carries on picking a good one it could work out."

I can only assume you haven't been following the cabinet and adviser picks as it kind of renders this point mute.

SB

We shall see. The missus is staunch Labour like me, and doesn't like Boris as a person, but in what she saw he was everything I've posted. Of course, anyone can pick examples where things went wrong, but on the whole his team got things right.

She said he was far far better than Sadiq, who was arrogant in the extreme and almost tried to do too much himself.

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:38 - Jul 24 with 5146 viewsElderGrizzly

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:37 - Jul 24 by StokieBlue

- loony left
- stuffy politicians

Good work.

SB

I’d assumed “dangerous and crazy man” was Boris...
You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:41 - Jul 24 with 5128 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:37 - Jul 24 by StokieBlue

- loony left
- stuffy politicians

Good work.

SB

Come on SB be fair.

Johnson, like Trump, is a straight talker. When Trump says 'send them home' he actually means send them home. He literally wants black Americans to go away.

He says what he means. Straight shooter. Straight talker. How can you not admire that?

Oh hang on. Is it because Johnson, like Trump, says things straight, but those things are UTTERLY MENTAL!

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:41 - Jul 24 with 5127 viewsStokieBlue

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:38 - Jul 24 by BrixtonBlue

We shall see. The missus is staunch Labour like me, and doesn't like Boris as a person, but in what she saw he was everything I've posted. Of course, anyone can pick examples where things went wrong, but on the whole his team got things right.

She said he was far far better than Sadiq, who was arrogant in the extreme and almost tried to do too much himself.

Have you seen the cabinet and team he is selecting?

It's anecdotal evidence (the opinion of your girlfriend based on a few things shes seen) versus empirical evidence (actual things everyone can see that have happened).

I really, honestly, truly hope she's right, most of the evidence suggests she's not though.

SB

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:42 - Jul 24 with 5124 viewsfooters

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:34 - Jul 24 by BrixtonBlue

Ouch. No, I've given up for good.

O rly? Congrats!

I disagree with your assessment. But do tell me how you keep bagging these birds. Dear old footers keeps on trying and keeps on failing...

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:45 - Jul 24 with 5109 viewsBrixtonBlue

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:41 - Jul 24 by StokieBlue

Have you seen the cabinet and team he is selecting?

It's anecdotal evidence (the opinion of your girlfriend based on a few things shes seen) versus empirical evidence (actual things everyone can see that have happened).

I really, honestly, truly hope she's right, most of the evidence suggests she's not though.

SB

I haven't, no. I'm too scared to look.

I was more talking about the people behind the scenes that he selects.

I admit her anecdotal evidence isn't much to go on, but it's all true... so there is hope that he can sometimes get it right.

I appreciate I'm clutching at straws a bit.

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:46 - Jul 24 with 5103 viewsBrixtonBlue

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:42 - Jul 24 by footers

O rly? Congrats!

I disagree with your assessment. But do tell me how you keep bagging these birds. Dear old footers keeps on trying and keeps on failing...

Have you got a sexy beard?

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:47 - Jul 24 with 5090 viewsGeoffSentence

Not encouraged by the hints about his team I have heard so far, Priti Patel for Home Secretary, Raab as Foreign secretary.

If we are hanging our hopes on his team, things could go frm bad to worse.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:48 - Jul 24 with 5073 viewschicoazul

The hottest of takes.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:50 - Jul 24 with 5065 viewsBrixtonBlue

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:47 - Jul 24 by GeoffSentence

Not encouraged by the hints about his team I have heard so far, Priti Patel for Home Secretary, Raab as Foreign secretary.

If we are hanging our hopes on his team, things could go frm bad to worse.

Not the people at the front, the shadowy figures in the background who actually come up with the ideas.

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:50 - Jul 24 with 5062 viewsfooters

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:46 - Jul 24 by BrixtonBlue

Have you got a sexy beard?

Beards and moustaches are for men with something to hide. Wouldn't catch me with one of them, buh! ;)

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:51 - Jul 24 with 5055 viewsGeoffSentence

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:50 - Jul 24 by BrixtonBlue

Not the people at the front, the shadowy figures in the background who actually come up with the ideas.

You mean.......the illuminati?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:53 - Jul 24 with 5043 viewsBrixtonBlue

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:50 - Jul 24 by footers

Beards and moustaches are for men with something to hide. Wouldn't catch me with one of them, buh! ;)

If you want a classy bird you gotta make some sacrifices...

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:53 - Jul 24 with 5039 viewsbluebud

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:28 - Jul 24 by StokieBlue

I admire your optimism.

However.

SB

- incompetent.
- Zaghari-Ratcliffe
- bumbling
- rambles
- disaster
- cliched stagnant poster caught in the vicelike grip of virtue signalling in a social media world where he cares way way too much of what people think of him.

Good Work
You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:55 - Jul 24 with 5029 viewsfooters

You might want to sit down before reading this on 13:53 - Jul 24 by bluebud

- incompetent.
- Zaghari-Ratcliffe
- bumbling
- rambles
- disaster
- cliched stagnant poster caught in the vicelike grip of virtue signalling in a social media world where he cares way way too much of what people think of him.

Good Work

,boris

You might want to sit down before reading this on 14:02 - Jul 24 with 4992 viewsGrandadDel

- incompetent.
- Zaghari-Ratcliffe
- bumbling
- rambles
- disaster

Good Work

What the loony left don't get is all of the things they say about him as complaints are what your average man loves about him. He gets so much abuse that most of it just gets ignored now. I wish there were more politicians like Boris to be honest! I'd love to have a pint with him too!
You might want to sit down before reading this on 14:13 - Jul 24 with 4938 viewsStokieBlue

- incompetent.
- Zaghari-Ratcliffe
- bumbling
- rambles
- disaster

Good Work

Lovely.

Although you've misread the rules. You're only supposed to include things which aren't supported by facts.

Given I've supported them with facts why don't you actually try and counter them. It's a novel concept I know.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024