Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... 14:43 - Aug 16 with 8655 viewsmidastouch

It's sometimes felt like a Game of Loans at Ipswich. Feels almost like we've had more loans than Wonga dished out (at a hefty cost!) during Boy George's (real name - or at least born as - Gideon Osborne) years of harsh austerity!

So anybody want to chip in with some random loans we've had down the years? I expect most will be memorable for all the wrong reasons! We've been blessed with a few good ones (Fraser, Bullard and Lawrence spring to mind immediately) but seems we've had more than our fair share of cast offs!

I'll start with Samassi Abou and Paolo Vernazza!

Sorry if we've been here before but if so I'm afraid I missed out on any prior ITFC Games of Loans / Top Trumps.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 18:17 - Aug 16 with 2297 viewsfactual_blue

Jon Walters (from Burnley)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 18:30 - Aug 16 with 2276 viewsmidastouch

Mark Stein 1997 (7 games and 2 goals)

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 18:31 - Aug 16 with 2272 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Gio!

I very much doubt we have had any more than anyone else. It is the same for permanent signings. Some work out well, others don't.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 19:03 - Aug 16 with 2252 viewstractordownsouth

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 14:53 - Aug 16 by Kieran_Knows

Zeki Fryers.

*shudders

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 19:08 - Aug 16 with 2246 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Reuser - was he our first?

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 20:03 - Aug 16 with 2223 viewsGeoffSentence

Franny Jeffers.

Had lost his way in the world of football and become anonymous.

Was superb forus scoring 4 goals in 9 games.

Then bwggered off to Sheffield Wednesday and was shlt again.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 20:15 - Aug 16 with 2217 viewsBrightonBlue

Gerry Creaney
Niklas Gudmundsson
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 20:35 - Aug 16 with 2207 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A little research seems to suggest that 1995-6 was our first loans (unless I missed some) being 2 goalkeepers - Andy Petterson and Fred Barber.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 20:38]

Login to get fewer ads

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 20:44 - Aug 16 with 2199 viewsRonFearonsHair

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 20:35 - Aug 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

A little research seems to suggest that 1995-6 was our first loans (unless I missed some) being 2 goalkeepers - Andy Petterson and Fred Barber.

Raphael Meade was on loan in 1990.

http://prideofanglia.com/tmwmtt/details.php?player=Raphael+Meade
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 20:48 - Aug 16 with 2196 viewsBlueBadger

Janoi Donacien.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:01 - Aug 16 with 2177 viewsrobdaful

Bilel Mohsni
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:03 - Aug 16 with 2174 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 20:44 - Aug 16 by RonFearonsHair

Raphael Meade was on loan in 1990.

http://prideofanglia.com/tmwmtt/details.php?player=Raphael+Meade

Thanks. No one pre-date him? We're there any others in between?

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:13 - Aug 16 with 2162 viewsRonFearonsHair

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:03 - Aug 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

Thanks. No one pre-date him? We're there any others in between?

I have now found Thomas Carson. January 1988.

http://prideofanglia.com/tmwmtt/details.php?player=Thomas%20Carson
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:22 - Aug 16 with 2154 viewsBackToRussia

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:01 - Aug 16 by robdaful

Bilel Mohsni

Thread won.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:24 - Aug 16 with 2153 viewsRadlett_blue

Tayo Edun
Dominic Samuel
Paul Green
Reece Brown
Aaron McLean
Tyrone Barnett
Bilel Mohsni
Reece Wabara
Darren O'Dea
Jay McEveley
Lee Hodges
Aidan Davison
Gerry Creaney
Andy Petterson

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:33 - Aug 16 with 2141 viewsmidastouch

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:24 - Aug 16 by Radlett_blue

Tayo Edun
Dominic Samuel
Paul Green
Reece Brown
Aaron McLean
Tyrone Barnett
Bilel Mohsni
Reece Wabara
Darren O'Dea
Jay McEveley
Lee Hodges
Aidan Davison
Gerry Creaney
Andy Petterson

Wow, some real stinkers there! Will keep me up at night remembering some of those! :-)
Not all total stinkers to be fair but definitely more bad than good overall from that lot!

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:35 - Aug 16 with 2136 viewsGeoffSentence

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 20:35 - Aug 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

Paul Cooper was actually on loan to us in 1974. It was only a 1 game loan, but I think he was the first.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:41 - Aug 16 with 2114 viewsClapham_Junction

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 20:03 - Aug 16 by GeoffSentence

Franny Jeffers.

Had lost his way in the world of football and become anonymous.

Was superb forus scoring 4 goals in 9 games.

Then bwggered off to Sheffield Wednesday and was shlt again.

Similar to DJ Campbell. 10 goals in 17 games for us (has there been a better return from a loan player?) then only scored two more goals in his pro career.
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:43 - Aug 16 with 2111 viewstonydinning

Chris Bart-Williams

Poll: Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back?

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:47 - Aug 16 with 2102 viewsACP84

Nathan Abbey
Paddy Kenny
Mike Pollitt
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 00:18 - Aug 17 with 2038 viewsBassett_Blue

Off on a slight tangent having thought about, we have loaned back a few players that were once good for us but weren't great when they came back. The following spring to mind;

Jason Dozzell
Richard Wright
Kieron Dyer
James Scowcroft
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 00:39 - Aug 17 with 2027 viewsStNeotsBlue

Ulrich Wilson wins the best/worst hairstyle award of any loan player we've had.
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 02:44 - Aug 17 with 2002 viewsharlingblue

Love the name of this post.
Grand Master Mick was the ace of this game, he got us loaned gems and unearthed a few of his own, but his staunch follower fans, he ignored.
Man Utd away in a Cup game while we were top of our league comes to mind, 8000 fans were at Old Trafford to then have a Reserve team to fight our cause. Downhill from there, we lost in the playoffs and then struggled as a Championship team.
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 02:49 - Aug 17 with 1999 viewsgainsboroughblue

The first loanee I can remember was Alan Sunderland circa 1984, who actually signed a permanent deal later on that year.

Other names that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet.

Mark Burchill
Ian Juryeff (prolific at Orient, looked a right carthorse here)
Scott Houghton (really wanted us to sign him)
Jonathan Hunt
John Moncur
Andrew Legg
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 2:51]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 08:24 - Aug 17 with 1954 viewsmidastouch

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 02:49 - Aug 17 by gainsboroughblue

The first loanee I can remember was Alan Sunderland circa 1984, who actually signed a permanent deal later on that year.

Other names that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet.

Mark Burchill
Ian Juryeff (prolific at Orient, looked a right carthorse here)
Scott Houghton (really wanted us to sign him)
Jonathan Hunt
John Moncur
Andrew Legg
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 2:51]

Andrew Legg had a monster throw I seem to recall, can't remember too much else about him though to be honest!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024