Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dump the big 6? 08:58 - Aug 22 with 3819 viewsSouperJim

Interested to know what other fans think - if the "big 6" swanned off to a new European super league and this allowed a reshuffle of our league structure and a more even distribution of remaining wealth/tv money etc followed, including stricter rules on player wages and transfer/agent expenditure to make our football sustainable, would you be in favour?

Saw an article yesterday which covered wages as a percentage of turnover, was a real eye opener. Basically everyone other than the top 6 clubs are heading for oblivion.

Celebrating like mad a win over AFC Wimbledon has made me realise that football is football. Yes I'd rather we were duking it out with the big boys, but if the "big boys" became Everton, West Ham and Leicester would it really matter that much in the grand scheme of things?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Dump the big 6? on 09:40 - Aug 22 with 994 viewschicoazul

Dump the big 6? on 09:36 - Aug 22 by Guthrum

If fans are prepared to accept a significant drop in standards, disappearance of the big-money transfer, increased ticket prices (running costs will have to come from somewhere), no excuses beyond the available talent of manager and players and so on, then all well and good.

But from what I see on here and other football outlets or phone-ins, I very much doubt the modern football fan would be at all happy about that. Not to mention their rarely more than token empathy for the misfortunes of their rivals (if Norwich were going bust, would we offer comfort, or laugh?).

we see all the time fans are prepared to accept a great deal of things in order to follow their club. What I think you are talking about is the casual who watches Sky and maybe if they don't have that option anymore they might go watch Colchester or Plymouth play instead.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Dump the big 6? on 09:43 - Aug 22 with 986 viewsSouperJim

Dump the big 6? on 09:39 - Aug 22 by ITFC_Forever

Wages would also go through the floor, so the increase in costs also wouldn't happen - clubs would have to realise that they can't offer silly money and the players would have to accept that.

If / when Bolton and Bury go bust, while it's a massive shame for their fans, they won't be the last. And the penny will surely drop with clubs and fans that they simply can't continue to live beyond their means. Those that don't heed the warning will be next.... a few clubs going bust will be in the greater good of the rest of the game unfortunately.

Villa were very close to it 15 months ago, and the EFL has got very few sustainable clubs in any of the Leagues. The sooner they and the clubs wise up to it, the better.

Next you'll be telling us Marcus Evans is one of the most responsible owners in football, it's almost as if he's trying to save us from being the next Bolton...

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Dump the big 6? on 09:44 - Aug 22 with 983 viewstabletopjoe

We should keep the current structure as it helps us observe how long it takes for free market economics to completely destroy the society it inherited.

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Dump the big 6? on 09:45 - Aug 22 with 981 viewsNthQldITFC

Something like this, but most importantly with a rock solid, uncheatable FFP-type structure behind the 'new' Football League. Perhaps sponsorship money etc. goes into a pot which is distributed on a reasonable gradient down through the divisions, and into a pyramid below.

The enthusiasm of fans for a structure where the likes of us or Forest in the past, could build a team over a few seasons, and have to act responsibly and progressively to maintain their position, would make for a far more exciting and less cynical game, and the system would prevent disasters a la Bury and Bolton.

Pipe dream but.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Dump the big 6? on 09:54 - Aug 22 with 950 viewsITFC_Forever

Dump the big 6? on 09:43 - Aug 22 by SouperJim

Next you'll be telling us Marcus Evans is one of the most responsible owners in football, it's almost as if he's trying to save us from being the next Bolton...

I do wonder sometimes if he's playing the long game and waiting for football to come to its senses.

But all the time he's waiting, the game continues to charge on at a ridiculous rate and we get left behind.

Trouble is, we're trying to be sustainable (or something vaguely approaching it) and others aren't.... we had one of the lowest wages:revenue ratios of 108% and came stone dead last for our troubles. Football is bonkers.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Dump the big 6? on 10:06 - Aug 22 with 941 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Dump the big 6? on 10:15 - Aug 22 with 929 viewsbrazil1982

Dump the big 6? on 10:06 - Aug 22 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

It'll become the Big 7 soon no doubt.
Dump the big 6? on 13:38 - Aug 22 with 876 viewsJimmyJazz

Dump the big 6? on 09:12 - Aug 22 by chicoazul

Irrelevant to who, though?

The 'outside' football fans. Sticking with Scotland - to me the Scottish leagues are a joke already, but to Scottish fans it's rightly important. Which was my point that non-league fans enjoy the football they watch.

Take away Celtic and Rangers and Scottish football to anyone with no connection / affiliation to the other clubs will have little interest in what happens in the Scottish leagues.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Login to get fewer ads

Dump the big 6? on 13:41 - Aug 22 with 876 viewsPositivelyPortman

Dump the big 6? on 09:03 - Aug 22 by JimmyJazz

No

Take Scottish football - if you take away Celtic and Rangers what do you have? An irrelevant league on a par with the Irish league

You tell Christophe Berra that - to his face.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2019 13:42]

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Dump the big 6? on 13:45 - Aug 22 with 870 viewsSuperfrans

They can't run off to set up their super league soon enough, for me.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Dump the big 6? on 13:46 - Aug 22 with 862 viewsJ2BLUE

Dump the big 6? on 09:35 - Aug 22 by chicoazul

Would you stop watching football/Ipswich if this happened?

No I wouldn't but it's still a stupid idea.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dump the big 6? on 13:51 - Aug 22 with 864 viewsSuperfrans

Dump the big 6? on 09:54 - Aug 22 by ITFC_Forever

I do wonder sometimes if he's playing the long game and waiting for football to come to its senses.

But all the time he's waiting, the game continues to charge on at a ridiculous rate and we get left behind.

Trouble is, we're trying to be sustainable (or something vaguely approaching it) and others aren't.... we had one of the lowest wages:revenue ratios of 108% and came stone dead last for our troubles. Football is bonkers.

I think he (or Milne at some point) has said as much, haven't they? We are the only (or certainly one of the few) clubs trying to operate a sustainable model, limiting our losses every year to avoid racking up debt and breaching FFP, we certainly were so in the Championship.

I thought it was a fairly open secret that ME was waiting for the rest to either run out of cash, implode with debt and slide down the leagues or receive such punishing FFP sanctions they would stop them from competing... leaving us to pick up the pieces and benefit. Of course, FFP has become a joke, and the likes of Derby are continuing to find more cash to waste (while finding more and more creative ways of circumventing FFP)...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Dump the big 6? on 14:12 - Aug 22 with 847 viewsSE1blue

Dump the big 6? on 09:54 - Aug 22 by ITFC_Forever

Football has really lost its way.

Town are having to rest players because of 46 league games, a forced-entry Leasing Cup (which is really pointless other than to the two teams that make the final) and then there's other possible cup games in the same season.

Whereas an established Premiership team, say West Ham, is awash with cash and a strong squad could potentially only play 40 games this season in total.

Teams are overplaying youth and U23 players (risking longer term injuries) in the lower leagues whilst Premiership clubs request a winter break.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Dump the big 6? on 14:41 - Aug 22 with 823 viewsLeaky

Dump the big 6? on 09:43 - Aug 22 by SouperJim

Well at least with Evans in charge we know we will have a team to support next season
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024