Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 19:01 - Oct 20 with 7905 viewsZedRodgers

Not enough time for a referendum, only a GE.

No, not at the moment

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:02 - Oct 20 with 3405 viewsNthsuffolkblue

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:01 - Oct 20 by Pinewoodblue

google is wonderful it helps you find answers for yourself. A BBC web page suggests a minimum of 22 weeks is required.

Does it say why? How long is needed for a GE? Surely that takes longer to organise and carry out?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:06 - Oct 20 with 3393 viewsSwansea_Blue

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:02 - Oct 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Does it say why? How long is needed for a GE? Surely that takes longer to organise and carry out?

Minimum time for a snap general election is 25 working days between parlaiment being dissolved and polling day, so only the 5 weeks. even though it seems like 5 months when they're polling!

Edit - explainer here on what has to happen before a referendum. The minimum time isn't legally set (only for the last part) but thse people settle on 24 weeks. But note that is considerably quicker than the first one.

https://constitution-unit.com/2018/08/30/how-long-would-it-take-to-hold-a-second
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 22:09]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:09 - Oct 20 with 3385 viewsPinewoodblue

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:02 - Oct 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Don't be lazy

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:10 - Oct 20 with 3379 viewsZedRodgers

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 21:56 - Oct 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Why would it be long enough for a GE but not for a referendum?

A lot more needs to happen before a referendum. First, legislation needs to be passed. The Electoral Commission recommend a period 6 months from the legislation passing in order to organise administering the poll and preparing local authorities. 12 weeks is required for the Commission to carry out ‘question testing’ (assessing whether the question is intelligible). You could argue that the last referendum question was unintelligible. I have done many times. A 10 week campaign period is also required.

A snap election can take place in a much shorter time. Essentially, Parliament just needs to be dissolved 25 days before polling day.

No, not at the moment

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:14 - Oct 20 with 3364 viewsStokieBlue

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:10 - Oct 20 by ZedRodgers

A lot more needs to happen before a referendum. First, legislation needs to be passed. The Electoral Commission recommend a period 6 months from the legislation passing in order to organise administering the poll and preparing local authorities. 12 weeks is required for the Commission to carry out ‘question testing’ (assessing whether the question is intelligible). You could argue that the last referendum question was unintelligible. I have done many times. A 10 week campaign period is also required.

A snap election can take place in a much shorter time. Essentially, Parliament just needs to be dissolved 25 days before polling day.

Any election would essentially be a referendum in all but name. I suspect Labour would hate that obviously but it's the reality of the situation.

Given this I don't see why you see so many roadblocks to a referendum - it looks more like focusing on getting a shot at government than actually being worried about solving the Brexit issues.

SB
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 22:15]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:16 - Oct 20 with 3359 viewsNthsuffolkblue

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:10 - Oct 20 by ZedRodgers

OK. So, if the EU would like a meaningful reason for an extension they need to make it long enough to hold another referendum on the deal. Have you a reason for claiming they have gone for Feb 2020?

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:16 - Oct 20 with 3353 viewsNthsuffolkblue

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:09 - Oct 20 by Pinewoodblue

Don't be lazy

Thanks for your help.

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:22 - Oct 20 with 3341 viewsFootballpete

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 21:55 - Oct 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Except they aren't unelected bureaucrats and it doesn't how many hashtags you use it doesn't make any of them true.

The referendum was a binary leave remain. Nothing about the customs union or deals. I know people who voted leave who said to me afterwards "I thought we would just vote leave and then the day after we would be out".

Even JRM said before the referendum we could have another vote afterwards once we knew the terms of the deal. If you truly believe your hashtags why are you so afraid of another referendum now the terms are known?

I was only joking, I'm not even on twitter, and I voted remain.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Login to get fewer ads

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:35 - Oct 20 with 3306 viewsNthsuffolkblue

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:22 - Oct 20 by Footballpete

I was only joking, I'm not even on twitter, and I voted remain.

OK. Thanks for clarifying. I should have picked up the tone of it … a bit tired.

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:52 - Oct 20 with 3292 viewsFootballpete

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:35 - Oct 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

OK. Thanks for clarifying. I should have picked up the tone of it … a bit tired.

No worries bud, I was just imitating some of the nonsense I see every day on Facebook. What looked ridiculous 3 years ago has become normalised.

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:05 - Oct 20 with 3274 viewsjeera

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 22:52 - Oct 20 by Footballpete

No worries bud, I was just imitating some of the nonsense I see every day on Facebook. What looked ridiculous 3 years ago has become normalised.

#normalised

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:32 - Oct 20 with 3261 viewsFootballpete

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:05 - Oct 20 by jeera

#normalised

#whatsahashtag #hashtagmeanshashtag

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:35 - Oct 20 with 3256 viewsjeera

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:32 - Oct 20 by Footballpete

#whatsahashtag #hashtagmeanshashtag

#redwhiteandbluehashtag

#feckbusiness

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:36 - Oct 20 with 3252 viewsjjblue84

Now it seems that the EU are talking about a second referendum, which means there has been conspiring with traitors on the opposition...have they not been watching Catalonia??
EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:39 - Oct 20 with 3252 viewsSpruceMoose

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:36 - Oct 20 by jjblue84

Now it seems that the EU are talking about a second referendum, which means there has been conspiring with traitors on the opposition...have they not been watching Catalonia??

Traitors?

It's a shame some Brexiteers resort to using such hysterical language. They will be responsible for someone getting hurt eventually.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:42 - Oct 20 with 3247 viewsFootballpete

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:35 - Oct 20 by jeera

#redwhiteandbluehashtag

#feckbusiness

#iusedtoenjoysmokinghashtag #muchpreferredittoweed #canyouevenstillgethashtag

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:43 - Oct 20 with 3243 viewsFootballpete

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:36 - Oct 20 by jjblue84

You’re clearly better at satire than I.

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:47 - Oct 20 with 3236 viewsjjblue84

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:39 - Oct 20 by SpruceMoose

Traitors?

It's a shame some Brexiteers resort to using such hysterical language. They will be responsible for someone getting hurt eventually.

Not when it’s the truth...
EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:51 - Oct 20 with 3231 viewsFootballpete

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:47 - Oct 20 by jjblue84

Not when it’s the truth...

Can you give an example of treachery? You’re implying people are acting against the interests of the uk? Who’s interests are these traitors working for?

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 00:08 - Oct 21 with 3206 viewsjjblue84

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:51 - Oct 20 by Footballpete

Can you give an example of treachery? You’re implying people are acting against the interests of the uk? Who’s interests are these traitors working for?

Blimey, where have you been the last 3 years???
EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 00:14 - Oct 21 with 3195 viewsjeera

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 00:08 - Oct 21 by jjblue84

Blimey, where have you been the last 3 years???

Not a clue...

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 05:15 - Oct 21 with 3115 viewsGaryCooper

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:39 - Oct 20 by SpruceMoose

Traitors?

'It's a shame some Brexiteers resort to using such hysterical language'

It is similar to equating those who voted to leave the EU to cancer, I mean what sort of hysterical, hateful, invertebrate would do that?
EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 09:33 - Oct 21 with 3058 viewsGlasgowBlue

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 05:15 - Oct 21 by GaryCooper

'It's a shame some Brexiteers resort to using such hysterical language'

It is similar to equating those who voted to leave the EU to cancer, I mean what sort of hysterical, hateful, invertebrate would do that?

Remainers shouting traitor at Rees Mogg who was with his son.

Diane Abbott was on the end of abuse from some leavers. There are c*nts on both sides.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 9:38]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 09:37 - Oct 21 with 3041 viewsSwansea_Blue

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 23:51 - Oct 20 by Footballpete

Here someone who's lobbying a foreign governments to work against the will of our elected parliament. This sort of thing is presumably what you mean.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 09:40 - Oct 21 with 3037 viewsBigManBlue

EU to offer extension until Feb 2020 on 09:37 - Oct 21 by Swansea_Blue

Here someone who's lobbying a foreign governments to work against the will of our elected parliament. This sort of thing is presumably what you mean.

Kurwa mać...

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024