Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don't vote tactically 08:09 - Nov 7 with 3377 viewschicoazul

Voting tactically is a very bad thing and will almost certainly leave you feeling dirty and used, and not in a good way.
If you google tactical voting your first result will almost certainly be a site called GetVoting.org which is a LibDem trojan horse site, recommending you vote LD in 170 constituencies and Labour in 1.
If you feel there is no party representing you then don't vote for any of them. You don't *have* to vote and if enough people don't we may find politics changes for the better.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Don't vote tactically on 08:15 - Nov 7 with 2347 viewsgiant_stow

Do vote tactically - it's a chance to make your vote really count and for you to make the change you want. Don't be stuck in a tribe and don't wait for change - force it.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Don't vote tactically on 08:17 - Nov 7 with 2342 viewsSteve_M

Don't be daft. People have voted tactically for years because FPTP demands it, assuming people are lucky enough to live in a constituency where the seat might actually change hands.

When both main parties are as sh1t, institutionally racist and lead by such utter mediocrities the best thing the electorate of this country can do is to make this another hung parliament.

Also, do you really think that electoral reform might be on the agenda as each of Labour and Tory becomes ever more dominated by the looniest parts of the membership? We're heading for US-style ideological purity in each party over any sense of what is good for the country.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Don't vote tactically on 08:24 - Nov 7 with 2320 viewsGuthrum

The "if enough people abstain things will change" argument does not entirely hold water. After all, turnouts in Euopean and local elections are not much more than half of those in GEs, but the results are still considered valid - especially by those minor parties who disproportionally benefit.

It would likely have to go below 20% before anything was really done.

Far better for people to get together and found new parties/alliances/groupings with policies they actually support. Too late for this GE, tho.

And I agree that it is always best to do your own research, not relying on dubious websites of unknown provenance.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Don't vote tactically on 08:28 - Nov 7 with 2306 viewsm14_blue

Not disagreeing with your overall premise but I’ve just been on that site and looked at the 3 constituencies my immediate family are in, all 3 are recommending voting Labour.
Don't vote tactically on 08:30 - Nov 7 with 2292 viewschicoazul

Don't vote tactically on 08:28 - Nov 7 by m14_blue

Not disagreeing with your overall premise but I’ve just been on that site and looked at the 3 constituencies my immediate family are in, all 3 are recommending voting Labour.

Really? Interesting. Which ones please?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Don't vote tactically on 08:31 - Nov 7 with 2289 viewschicoazul

Don't vote tactically on 08:17 - Nov 7 by Steve_M

Don't be daft. People have voted tactically for years because FPTP demands it, assuming people are lucky enough to live in a constituency where the seat might actually change hands.

When both main parties are as sh1t, institutionally racist and lead by such utter mediocrities the best thing the electorate of this country can do is to make this another hung parliament.

Also, do you really think that electoral reform might be on the agenda as each of Labour and Tory becomes ever more dominated by the looniest parts of the membership? We're heading for US-style ideological purity in each party over any sense of what is good for the country.

We already have that.

Don't vote tactically on 08:31 - Nov 7 with 2287 viewsm14_blue

Don't vote tactically on 08:30 - Nov 7 by chicoazul

Really? Interesting. Which ones please?

PM you
Don't vote tactically on 08:32 - Nov 7 with 2284 viewschicoazul

Don't vote tactically on 08:31 - Nov 7 by m14_blue

PM you

TYB.

Login to get fewer ads

Don't vote tactically on 08:35 - Nov 7 with 2275 viewsuefacup81

It all depends on your objective.

GetVoting.org is very clearly set up to point you in the direction of the best vote to get a pro-remain MP, hence why there's so many recommendations to vote for the Lib Dem candidate.

A lot of the broader anti-Tory sites seem to be a lot more balanced.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Don't vote tactically on 08:39 - Nov 7 with 2262 viewsDanTheMan

I'm I actually in the one? It's recommend I vote for Soubry.

However I will be tactically voting, because our voting systems is pants and leaves me with no other choice.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Don't vote tactically on 09:08 - Nov 7 with 2198 viewsStokieBlue

Spruce said I should take a look at the modelling in that site - it's rather dubious with unknown fudge factor which skews the results in an opaque way.

Here is my post:

Let's get it out there on the record then... by StokieBlue 31 Oct 2019 11:28
I think the issue people are getting with the website is not due to the MRP modelling but due to an entirely subject assumption they have included in the modelling without any real explanation:

We are a cross party campaign with a mission to stop Brexit by any democratic means. We consider each candidate and their position on Brexit in our recommendations - this means we considered supporting Green, Plaid Cymru, Lib-Dem, Labour, and Independent candidates based on their willingness to do the right thing as well as their chance of beating the Brexiter candidates. We’ve taken these decisions on a case-by-case basis in every seat. That said, you can be sure we will not recommend The Brexit Party or The Conservative Party in any constituency under any circumstances!

That is hugely subjective and can throw everything off. For instance, if you apply a weighting factor based on the MPs likelihood of "doing the right thing" it could hugely skew the score. Without them expanding on that criteria and how it is integrated into the model I would say the website is pretty useless.

I would actually go further and say it could easily be abused. If people aren't willing to look into the assumptions made then this entirely subjective factor could allow them to bias and skew the results as they see fit but in an opaque way.

On MRP itself, it looks like a good way to go about things. Basically work out how certain demographics of people tend to vote (obviously this has to be somewhat probabilistic) and then combine the normal polling results with the demographics of an area taken from census data to project how people in specific constituencies are likely to vote.

SB

SB
[Post edited 7 Nov 2019 9:09]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Don't vote tactically on 09:14 - Nov 7 with 2173 viewsHerbivore

I'm voting tactically. I'll be voting Labour as they were only 500 votes shy of the Tories in 2017 with everyone else miles adrift. I want the Tory incumbent out and so voting Labour is the option for me. If we had PR I'd vote Green and I do vote Green in other elections, but in this one it has to be Labour in order to try and get the Tories out.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Don't vote tactically on 09:18 - Nov 7 with 2157 viewsuefacup81

Don't vote tactically on 09:14 - Nov 7 by Herbivore

I'm voting tactically. I'll be voting Labour as they were only 500 votes shy of the Tories in 2017 with everyone else miles adrift. I want the Tory incumbent out and so voting Labour is the option for me. If we had PR I'd vote Green and I do vote Green in other elections, but in this one it has to be Labour in order to try and get the Tories out.

Norwich North, amiright?

Don't vote tactically on 09:22 - Nov 7 with 2139 viewsDyland

"You don't *have* to vote and if enough people don't we may find politics changes for the better."

You silly sausage you.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Don't vote tactically on 09:23 - Nov 7 with 2126 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Pretty much agree, if no party represents your views don't vote and then when turnout is less than 50% (although a none of the above option would be better) demand PR to enable new voices to be heard or current ones to be louder.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Don't vote tactically on 09:23 - Nov 7 with 2122 viewsHerbivore

Don't vote tactically on 09:18 - Nov 7 by uefacup81

Norwich North, amiright?

You are right!

Don't vote tactically on 09:24 - Nov 7 with 2117 viewsBigManBlue

Maybe the lesson is just, don't trust tactical voting sites? It's easy enough to find out how close the other parties were to the incumbent at the last election - if you don't like who that is then just pick the first acceptable challenger as you go down the list.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Don't vote tactically on 09:26 - Nov 7 with 2104 viewsuefacup81

Don't vote tactically on 09:23 - Nov 7 by Herbivore

You are right!

Norwich South here. I'll be travelling 'up north' to campaign for the Labour candidate there. The sooner incompetent corrupt Chloe is handed her P45 the better!

Don't vote tactically on 09:28 - Nov 7 with 2093 viewsHerbivore

Don't vote tactically on 09:26 - Nov 7 by uefacup81

Norwich South here. I'll be travelling 'up north' to campaign for the Labour candidate there. The sooner incompetent corrupt Chloe is handed her P45 the better!

I've emailed her a few times to ask her to show some basic decency and not just vote with her party. I always get the party line in response. She is a terrible MP. Karen seems alright, she gave a good speech at the stop the coup demo outside City Hall in September.

Don't vote tactically on 09:29 - Nov 7 with 2089 viewsGeoffSentence

Don't vote tactically on 09:22 - Nov 7 by Dyland

"You don't *have* to vote and if enough people don't we may find politics changes for the better."

You silly sausage you.

He has a point.

The lower the turnout the lower the democratic legitimacy of the vote.

Guthers has a point that turnout may have to go really low before anything is done, on the other hand consistently low turnouts may do it eventually.

Our system has to be one of, if not the singlemost, undemocratic system in the western world. FPTP means that in effect our elections are decided in a handful of places and ensures that people vote tactically instead of what they actually believe in.

What is worse is that our second chamber is totally unelected and includes hereditary members. How is this possible in a supposed democracy.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Don't vote tactically on 09:29 - Nov 7 with 2080 viewsuefacup81

Don't vote tactically on 09:28 - Nov 7 by Herbivore

I've emailed her a few times to ask her to show some basic decency and not just vote with her party. I always get the party line in response. She is a terrible MP. Karen seems alright, she gave a good speech at the stop the coup demo outside City Hall in September.

Then there's the whole Parliamentary credit card shenanigans.

If I messed up my work expenses just once I'd be warned about it. I wouldn't even get the chance to do it fourteen times!

Don't vote tactically on 09:31 - Nov 7 with 2076 viewsStokieBlue

Don't vote tactically on 09:29 - Nov 7 by GeoffSentence

He has a point.

The lower the turnout the lower the democratic legitimacy of the vote.

Guthers has a point that turnout may have to go really low before anything is done, on the other hand consistently low turnouts may do it eventually.

Our system has to be one of, if not the singlemost, undemocratic system in the western world. FPTP means that in effect our elections are decided in a handful of places and ensures that people vote tactically instead of what they actually believe in.

What is worse is that our second chamber is totally unelected and includes hereditary members. How is this possible in a supposed democracy.

"The lower the turnout the lower the democratic legitimacy of the vote."

This isn't really true though. Conceptually it might be true but in law it isn't. The government formed would still be as legitimate as any other we have had.

Some on here previously were pushing that in order for something to be democratically legitimate it should have a majority of the people eligible to vote, not those that do vote. This is nonsense and was quite annoying during the Brexit debates on here.

SB
[Post edited 7 Nov 2019 9:33]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Don't vote tactically on 09:34 - Nov 7 with 2054 viewsHerbivore

Don't vote tactically on 09:31 - Nov 7 by StokieBlue

This isn't really true though. Conceptually it might be true but in law it isn't. The government formed would still be as legitimate as any other we have had.

Some on here previously were pushing that in order for something to be democratically legitimate it should have a majority of the people eligible to vote, not those that do vote. This is nonsense and was quite annoying during the Brexit debates on here.

SB

Indeed. And low turnout alone won't bring about change, without protest it will just look like apathy.

Don't vote tactically on 09:39 - Nov 7 with 2037 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Don't vote tactically on 09:31 - Nov 7 by StokieBlue

SB

Don't vote tactically on 09:40 - Nov 7 with 2034 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Don't vote tactically on 09:34 - Nov 7 by Herbivore

Indeed. And low turnout alone won't bring about change, without protest it will just look like apathy.

So be sure to follow it up!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024