Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A&E waiting times hit worst ever... 10:26 - Nov 14 with 9542 viewsElephantintheRoom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50397856

Anyone unlucky enough to need A&E at Addenbrookes recently will be aware of their interesting wheeze to reduce waiting time.... you have to queue outside in the rain to be assessed by a nurse just inside the twirly door. It took me 45 mins to start my wait last month.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 14:51 - Nov 14 with 2206 viewsBlueBadger

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 11:32 - Nov 14 by hampstead_blue

Interesting.

I've just had a major back op at Bristol Southmead. The whole process of getting scans, meeting the surgeon, everything was amazing.

My wait was only a few weeks, 6 I think, from the last appointment with the surgeon to having it done, last wednesday.

That hospital is an exemplar as to how to manage things. It is awesome.

Just thought I'd put some good news into all this......

You're lucky to have had it at the tail end of summer. Chances are this time of year, you'll be playing cancellation roulette as your bed is at risk of being taken by the added winter influx.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 14:58 - Nov 14 with 2195 viewsGaryCooper

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:47 - Nov 14 by BlueNomad

As I said yesterday; he said he likes The Clash but has clearly never really listened to the words!

Oh I don't know, drug stabbing time, Khan and the Tories can fight out who is implementing that the best.
A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 15:04 - Nov 14 with 2188 viewsDyland

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 14:36 - Nov 14 by BlueBadger

£4BN of that waste is on the tier of management dedicated to outsourcing services.

Privatisation has been bad for the NHS in general and disastrous for areas such as mental health, elderly care and children's services in particular with various companies having their own little corners of what are traditionally, very complicated patient groups with multiple needs - there's a massive loss of collaborative working, duplication of paperwork and management and oftentimes those with the most complicated needs end up being poorly served as there's always something which places them outside of the admission criteria of one particular firm's little fiefdom.

If you want a local example of how privatising services fails then look no further than community services round here - in 2012, the contract was awarded to Serco, after they undercut the NHS provider's bid by £10M - the first thing the did was announced across-the-board(frontline and support staff)1-in-10 redundancies and moved their liaison offices(the people you speak to when people are leaving hospital in order to refer them for community services) out of local hospitals into a call centre in Ipswich. The drop in staffing numbers combined with a lack of local knowledge in the call centre meant those left were given unrealistic and unmanageable caseloads (friend of mine was expected once to see people in Haverhill, Long Melford, Stanningfield and Stowmarket in one morning, all before 1130). So more people left, caseloads grew bigger, people fell between the gaps and ended up back in hospital, at a far greater cost than the £10M 'saving'.

And that's before we get onto things like ancillary services - cleaning and domestic services farmed out to the private sector invariably end up with staff numbers being cut and those remaining being retained on poorer terms and conditions than before - this means an reduction in service quality as there's fewer people trying to do more and, as a result of the aforesaid changes to T&C's a more rapid turnover in staff meaning a general loss of efficiency.

The only area you could maybe make a case for the Efficient Private sector is maybe farming out a very small amount of low-risk elective procedures. And even then, the 'turn 'em over quick' approach is ripe breeding ground for dangerous errors.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 14:49]

Unfortunately facts are irrelevant these days. People seem less and less able to get beyond entrenched ideology. The NHS private/public funding debate does my nut. There is no fackin debate, unless it's about whether making money at the expense of public health is okay or not morally. And I'm not a leftie ffs.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 15:18 - Nov 14 with 2170 viewsBloomBlue

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 14:36 - Nov 14 by BlueBadger

£4BN of that waste is on the tier of management dedicated to outsourcing services.

Privatisation has been bad for the NHS in general and disastrous for areas such as mental health, elderly care and children's services in particular with various companies having their own little corners of what are traditionally, very complicated patient groups with multiple needs - there's a massive loss of collaborative working, duplication of paperwork and management and oftentimes those with the most complicated needs end up being poorly served as there's always something which places them outside of the admission criteria of one particular firm's little fiefdom.

If you want a local example of how privatising services fails then look no further than community services round here - in 2012, the contract was awarded to Serco, after they undercut the NHS provider's bid by £10M - the first thing the did was announced across-the-board(frontline and support staff)1-in-10 redundancies and moved their liaison offices(the people you speak to when people are leaving hospital in order to refer them for community services) out of local hospitals into a call centre in Ipswich. The drop in staffing numbers combined with a lack of local knowledge in the call centre meant those left were given unrealistic and unmanageable caseloads (friend of mine was expected once to see people in Haverhill, Long Melford, Stanningfield and Stowmarket in one morning, all before 1130). So more people left, caseloads grew bigger, people fell between the gaps and ended up back in hospital, at a far greater cost than the £10M 'saving'.

And that's before we get onto things like ancillary services - cleaning and domestic services farmed out to the private sector invariably end up with staff numbers being cut and those remaining being retained on poorer terms and conditions than before - this means an reduction in service quality as there's fewer people trying to do more and, as a result of the aforesaid changes to T&C's a more rapid turnover in staff meaning a general loss of efficiency.

The only area you could maybe make a case for the Efficient Private sector is maybe farming out a very small amount of low-risk elective procedures. And even then, the 'turn 'em over quick' approach is ripe breeding ground for dangerous errors.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 14:49]

Although offset by the fact all GPs and most Dentist / Opticians are private and you could argue they have been good for the NHS.
Don't see GPs ever giving up being privatised so you'll always have privatisation in the NHS.
A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 15:30 - Nov 14 with 2153 viewsfactual_blue

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 14:48 - Nov 14 by BlueBadger

He was once steered, very rapidly past me, when doing a walk around at *redacted* hospital. The luckless management flunk who was tasked with showing him rounded spotted me ambling in his direction with questions such as 'so, will you be reinstating the student nurse bursary' and 'your predecessor shelved NICE's work on safe staffing levels, will you be instructing them to start it up again and if not, why not' and ushered him into a matron's office.

I've made a note of those questions should he turn up at my doorstep.

Is 'ushered into a matron's office' some kind of hospital-based euphemism?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 15:38 - Nov 14 with 2146 viewsBlueBadger

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 15:18 - Nov 14 by BloomBlue

Although offset by the fact all GPs and most Dentist / Opticians are private and you could argue they have been good for the NHS.
Don't see GPs ever giving up being privatised so you'll always have privatisation in the NHS.

GPs are essentially franchises who operate under an NHS brand and as such, are expected to adhere to various standard practices. And as for dentists, the deregulation of dentistry in the 80's led directly to the the shortage of NHS dentists from the 90's onwards.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 15:51 - Nov 14 with 2128 viewshampstead_blue

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 14:12 - Nov 14 by jaykay

could be trickle down health care from private patients, like the trickle down wealth the tories were always banging on about

What!!!

I share a great example of NHS care and you do what?
Dear oh dear.

Is good news to much for you?

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 15:56 - Nov 14 with 2121 viewshampstead_blue

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 14:51 - Nov 14 by BlueBadger

You're lucky to have had it at the tail end of summer. Chances are this time of year, you'll be playing cancellation roulette as your bed is at risk of being taken by the added winter influx.

I timed it for the end of summer. I want to be fit again for the start of the cricket season.

The whole experience of Bristol was stunning. Everything has been so carefully thought through. My quick recovery was down to the positivity of the staff. I loved it.

I even had an RAF anaesthetist who had worked on the MERT teams in Afghan. When I told him was an ex Combat Medic he asked for my 'best RAF joke'........My reply was 'keep me alive and I'll tell you!'.

Amazing care and an amazing facility. It's a shame some on this board want to wallow in gruel.

https://www.rafbf.org/news-and-blogs/afghan-blog-part-2-rafs-medical-emergency-r

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:03 - Nov 14 with 2112 viewsBryanPlug

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 13:32 - Nov 14 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:15 - Nov 14 with 2101 viewsBrixtonBlue

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 15:56 - Nov 14 by hampstead_blue

I timed it for the end of summer. I want to be fit again for the start of the cricket season.

The whole experience of Bristol was stunning. Everything has been so carefully thought through. My quick recovery was down to the positivity of the staff. I loved it.

I even had an RAF anaesthetist who had worked on the MERT teams in Afghan. When I told him was an ex Combat Medic he asked for my 'best RAF joke'........My reply was 'keep me alive and I'll tell you!'.

Amazing care and an amazing facility. It's a shame some on this board want to wallow in gruel.

https://www.rafbf.org/news-and-blogs/afghan-blog-part-2-rafs-medical-emergency-r

What do you mean "wallow in gruel?" People are just telling the facts of how it generally is. I also had brilliant service when I had my wisdom tooth out, but I don't expect things are great for everyone because of my one experience.

It's the typical Tory 'I'm alright Jack' mentality.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:19 - Nov 14 with 2091 viewsbrazil1982

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 15:56 - Nov 14 by hampstead_blue

You can't praise the NHS until Labour / Lib Dems are elected, because they are the only political party who have ever put billions into it.

If the Tories suggested pumping in £1 trillion, Labour would still scream it wasn't enough and we only had x amount of days to save the NHS.
A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:21 - Nov 14 with 2081 viewsjeera

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 13:12 - Nov 14 by Dyland

That is so post-truth it's almost funny. It can't just be a single issue thing, unless that in itself has led to a kind of mass Stockholm Syndrome mental illness effect.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:22 - Nov 14 with 2080 viewsBlueBadger

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:03 - Nov 14 by BryanPlug

The answers are 'overwhelmingly state-provided with some fiddling around the edges', no and no.

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:26 - Nov 14 with 2069 viewsBlueNomad

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 13:09 - Nov 14 by lowhouseblue

according to yougov today, the tories have a lead amongst working class voters of 20%. it's the middle classes that are less keen. the world is indeed a very strange place.

Is that the yougov owned by one of the most right-wing, wealthiest Tories in the current government yougov or a different one?
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 16:29]
A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:26 - Nov 14 with 2073 viewsBlueBadger

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:19 - Nov 14 by brazil1982

You can't praise the NHS until Labour / Lib Dems are elected, because they are the only political party who have ever put billions into it.

If the Tories suggested pumping in £1 trillion, Labour would still scream it wasn't enough and we only had x amount of days to save the NHS.

Mainly because when they do, it's mostly smoke and mirrors. The 'new money' pumped in this autumn isn't new money at all, it's from emergency reserves. So, if something really disastrous happens, like say a major incident on the doorstep of Addenbrrokes, that'll have a major impact on funding for the rest of the year because their reserves for dealing with contigencies like this will have been depleted with day-to-day stuff.

Tory party policy regarding health has invariably been destructive, beaurocratic, obstructive whenever they've been in power and it will continue to be.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 16:28]

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:28 - Nov 14 with 2066 viewsBrixtonBlue

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:19 - Nov 14 by brazil1982

The NHS is at crisis point, as Badger has said. The Tories have been in power for the last 10 years.

You do the maths.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:30 - Nov 14 with 2064 viewsBlueBadger

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 15:51 - Nov 14 by hampstead_blue

What!!!

I share a great example of NHS care and you do what?
Dear oh dear.

Is good news to much for you?

I think its more the 'I had a great experience therefore everything's OK' tone you're taking. You had a great experience. Great, carry on. But the reality is that many won't this winter. Including people in a similar boat to yourself who''ll end up getting their procedures cancelled or delayed because of winter pressures.

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:30 - Nov 14 with 2061 viewsBlueNomad

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:28 - Nov 14 by BrixtonBlue

The NHS is at crisis point, as Badger has said. The Tories have been in power for the last 10 years.

You do the maths.

Brazil can't win the argument on the NHS because whatever your party loyalty it is clear the NHS is in funding / staffing crisis
A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:34 - Nov 14 with 2053 viewsBlueBadger

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:30 - Nov 14 by BlueNomad

Brazil can't win the argument on the NHS because whatever your party loyalty it is clear the NHS is in funding / staffing crisis

Of course he can, because he's not actually beholden to leftie dogmas like 'facts'.

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:47 - Nov 14 with 2037 viewsBryanPlug

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:22 - Nov 14 by BlueBadger

The answers are 'overwhelmingly state-provided with some fiddling around the edges', no and no.

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:50 - Nov 14 with 2036 viewsBlueBadger

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:47 - Nov 14 by BryanPlug

1. With the continental model, there's usually an insurance element to cover certain elective procedures. Most things are fully state covered.
2. A greater proportion of GDP is paid in.
3. See 2.

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:51 - Nov 14 with 2030 viewsbrazil1982

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:34 - Nov 14 by BlueBadger

Of course he can, because he's not actually beholden to leftie dogmas like 'facts'.

….do you think voting for a different party / government will solve the "crisis"?

How "much" should be put in to the budget? £90 billion / year? £20B is clearly not making a difference.
A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:55 - Nov 14 with 2031 viewsBryanPlug

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:50 - Nov 14 by BlueBadger

1. With the continental model, there's usually an insurance element to cover certain elective procedures. Most things are fully state covered.
2. A greater proportion of GDP is paid in.
3. See 2.

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 17:07 - Nov 14 with 2020 viewsBryanPlug

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:28 - Nov 14 by BrixtonBlue

You do the maths.

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 17:52 - Nov 14 with 1986 viewsLeoMuff

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 16:51 - Nov 14 by brazil1982

….do you think voting for a different party / government will solve the "crisis"?

How "much" should be put in to the budget? £90 billion / year? £20B is clearly not making a difference.

look at the graph posted above, funding dropped off a cliff in the last decade, corresponding to an increase in failing to meet targets, increasing wait times, staff shortages

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024