Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meat, a threat to our planet? 21:58 - Nov 25 with 2974 viewsBent_double

Scary. What are we doing to this planet?

Very informative program, certainly makes me want to eat less meat. Worth seeing on the iplayer if you're interested in this kind of thing.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 22:09 - Nov 25 with 2525 viewsDubtractor

Yep, paints a pretty bleak picture doesn't it?

I'm not a vegan, though have dramatically reduced my meat consumption over the last few years, and we (all humans) really need to change our behaviour soon.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 22:12 - Nov 25 with 2523 viewsBasuco

With China building more and more new coal fired power stations there is very little the UK can do to stop global warming, in the last 18 month's China has brought on line enough coal generated electricity to power 39 million homes.
Meat, a threat to our planet? on 22:17 - Nov 25 with 2496 viewsBloomBlue

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 22:12 - Nov 25 by Basuco

With China building more and more new coal fired power stations there is very little the UK can do to stop global warming, in the last 18 month's China has brought on line enough coal generated electricity to power 39 million homes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50474824
Meat, a threat to our planet? on 22:28 - Nov 25 with 2458 viewsHerbivore

I don't think it's acceptable to absolve ourselves of responsibility purely because others aren't doing their bit though. If there are things you can do to reduce your carbon footprint then you should seriously consider doing those things.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 07:28 - Nov 26 with 2357 viewshampstead_blue

The way the likes of the US are scraping the sh4t out of the earth to produce meat is beyond wrong.

Palm oil is another product leaching the life from stunning parts of the globe.

Meat can be sustainable. In our climate we've ideal conditions from cattle, pigs, chickens, etc. When we were young, meat was a lot more expensive than it is today. Roast Beef was a treat.

We do need to do something to snipe this mass farming machine. How about a trade tariff on meat farmed in such intensive ways? That would whack the price-up and encourage our own sustainable farmers to do more.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 07:37 - Nov 26 with 2336 viewsgordon

At the end of the day you either willingly take part in the destruction of people's livelihoods, ecosystems and species, or you do what you can not to take part. It's a choice that everyone has to make, and justify.

Sure, other people make different choices, but that's irrelevant to the moral question facing you (and me) about how we live our lives.
Meat, a threat to our planet? on 08:05 - Nov 26 with 2283 viewsHerbivore

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 07:28 - Nov 26 by hampstead_blue

The way the likes of the US are scraping the sh4t out of the earth to produce meat is beyond wrong.

Palm oil is another product leaching the life from stunning parts of the globe.

Meat can be sustainable. In our climate we've ideal conditions from cattle, pigs, chickens, etc. When we were young, meat was a lot more expensive than it is today. Roast Beef was a treat.

We do need to do something to snipe this mass farming machine. How about a trade tariff on meat farmed in such intensive ways? That would whack the price-up and encourage our own sustainable farmers to do more.

Meat can only be environmentally sustainable if people eat it around once or twice a month. They'd need to drastically - and I mean drastically - reduce dairy consumption too. The way meat is consumed currently in the West is not remotely sustainable.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 8:10]

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 08:37 - Nov 26 with 2277 viewsDanTheMan

They also have a lot of people, same with India when these two are always brought up as a "well no point even bothering, because China".

However per capita, these countries are worse:
Kuwait
UAE
Saudi Arabia
Australia
Canada
USA
Russia
Japan
Germany
Most of the nordic countries

In fact I don't think they are even in the top 40 when going by population.

Anyway, disregarding all of that, saying there is no point because China is so fundamentally stupid I'm amazed people continue to make this argument. People need to take some personal responsibility in the choices they make.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 08:45 - Nov 26 with 2252 viewsGaryCooper

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 08:05 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

Meat can only be environmentally sustainable if people eat it around once or twice a month. They'd need to drastically - and I mean drastically - reduce dairy consumption too. The way meat is consumed currently in the West is not remotely sustainable.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 8:10]

Anyone care to complete root cause analysis?
Meat, a threat to our planet? on 09:04 - Nov 26 with 2212 viewsRadlett_blue

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 08:37 - Nov 26 by DanTheMan

They also have a lot of people, same with India when these two are always brought up as a "well no point even bothering, because China".

Kuwait
UAE
Saudi Arabia
Australia
Canada
USA
Russia
Japan
Germany

Anyway, disregarding all of that, saying there is no point because China is so fundamentally stupid I'm amazed people continue to make this argument. People need to take some personal responsibility in the choices they make.

Always some oddities in the list. Kuwait & the Emirates both have small populations, but huge amounts of energy. Surprise, surprise - they are then wasteful with their cheap energy. I do find the whole idea of building golf courses (and dry ski slopes) in hot desert climates rather nauseatingly wasteful.
To call China "stupid" rather misses the point. Their leadership know that their population will accept the lack of human & democratic rights while their standard of living seems to be getting better. So therefore they choose to ignore the environmental impact. Also, the West has no sanction to encourage China to change its behaviour, beyond boycotting its goods or (harrumph) imposing tariffs.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 09:21 - Nov 26 with 2189 viewsDanTheMan

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 09:04 - Nov 26 by Radlett_blue

Always some oddities in the list. Kuwait & the Emirates both have small populations, but huge amounts of energy. Surprise, surprise - they are then wasteful with their cheap energy. I do find the whole idea of building golf courses (and dry ski slopes) in hot desert climates rather nauseatingly wasteful.
To call China "stupid" rather misses the point. Their leadership know that their population will accept the lack of human & democratic rights while their standard of living seems to be getting better. So therefore they choose to ignore the environmental impact. Also, the West has no sanction to encourage China to change its behaviour, beyond boycotting its goods or (harrumph) imposing tariffs.

"beyond boycotting its goods or (harrumph) imposing tariffs."

Well there's already a good start. And I'm really not missing the point, they have an absolutely enormous population, same with India. And yet they still aren't, per capita, above any of those nations, probably because most are dirt poor farmers.

It's going to take the entire world (yes, including China and India and everyone else) to fix it. But just pointing at someone else and saying "well they aren't doing enough so I won't either" helps absolutely nothing. The only reason people do it is so they can pass the buck.

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 09:26 - Nov 26 with 2167 viewsHerbivore

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 08:45 - Nov 26 by GaryCooper

Great input, as always.

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 09:35 - Nov 26 with 2135 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 08:45 - Nov 26 by GaryCooper

Did you never read any punk zines back in the day!!
There have always been so many reasons to at least limit meat consumption.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 09:38 - Nov 26 with 2140 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I absolutely love meat. Always have. Always will. But have probably cut down my consumption to half over the last few years and looking at reducing further still. Everyone has their duty to do their own little bit on litter, recycling, meat consumption, fuel consumption and so on.

However, I forget which comedian it was, but someone said when you look at America it's like turning up to an earthquake with a dustpan and brush. Add China to that now.

The rest of the world could live perfectly from a sustainability point of view and we'd still be doomed because of those two.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 10:28 - Nov 26 with 2097 viewschicoazul

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 08:37 - Nov 26 by DanTheMan

Kuwait
UAE
Saudi Arabia
Australia
Canada
USA
Russia
Japan
Germany

I don't think they do, at all. There is literally zero reason for *anyone* to try to reduce their carbon emissions or, at a larger level, for our country to wreck or stall our economy by reducing carbon emissions. It is utterly pointless, unless you do it to make yourself feel better and assuage one's guilt, which I suppose is an ok reason.

If however your point is about for eg eating meat or drastically reducing your waste then I agree, and sorry if I have misunderstood with my initial rant.

Here is the truth; climate change is not *happening*. It is not *about to happen*. It *has happened* (and it doesn't help that we so happen to be at the end of an ice age). As James Lovelock says, we now need to fund a retreat from the areas about to be affected by it, including our country.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 10:39 - Nov 26 with 2072 viewschicoazul

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 10:28 - Nov 26 by chicoazul

I don't think they do, at all. There is literally zero reason for *anyone* to try to reduce their carbon emissions or, at a larger level, for our country to wreck or stall our economy by reducing carbon emissions. It is utterly pointless, unless you do it to make yourself feel better and assuage one's guilt, which I suppose is an ok reason.

If however your point is about for eg eating meat or drastically reducing your waste then I agree, and sorry if I have misunderstood with my initial rant.

Here is the truth; climate change is not *happening*. It is not *about to happen*. It *has happened* (and it doesn't help that we so happen to be at the end of an ice age). As James Lovelock says, we now need to fund a retreat from the areas about to be affected by it, including our country.

Further to this diatribe;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50547073

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 10:59 - Nov 26 with 2050 viewsCoachRob

"and it doesn't help that we so happen to be at the end of an ice age" - Pleistocene glacial and interglacial periods are factored into GCM models.

"we now need to fund a retreat from the areas about to be affected by it" - could you explain how you are going to achieve the same crop yields in tundra locations.
Meat, a threat to our planet? on 11:04 - Nov 26 with 2028 viewsmonytowbray

Doesn't need a ? in the title, it's a statement.

The meat industry episode of Explained on Netflix is worth a watch on a related note.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 11:05 - Nov 26 with 2029 viewsitfcjoe

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 11:04 - Nov 26 by monytowbray

Doesn't need a ? in the title, it's a statement.

The meat industry episode of Explained on Netflix is worth a watch on a related note.

It does need the ? in the title as it is talking about a TV programme

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 11:05 - Nov 26 with 2029 viewsDanTheMan

Climate change has happened as is getting worse. If we continue to do nothing it will mean we end up with a planet comparable to what it was like millions of years ago.

Doing something is not utterly pointless, it can certainly be useful (especially if as a society more people do it). Counting down on the amount of meat we eat among other things are fairly simple changes we can make to help. Obviously there are other large things we can't do much about other than protest which need to happen at a Government level.

Funding a retreat from the seas might work OK(ish) for us but there are multiple island nations that won't be able to move anywhere other than the bottom of the sea. We can still do something to reverse the issues but everyone is too busy either giving up or blaming others rather than trying to do anything.

Honestly this topic is one of the most immensely frustrating things for me as I just don't understand the utter apathy people seem to have for this.

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 11:05 - Nov 26 with 2028 viewsSikamikanico

Purely from a health perspective my household has dramatically cut out our meat consumption. Most meals contain a meat substitute and we tend to only eat chicken and one large bird lasts us for a number of days.

I maybe have steak once every other month. Tend not to eat processed meat either but do maybe make bacon once every other weekend.

Also eat more fish.

I also have moved to non-dairy milk alternatives.
Meat, a threat to our planet? on 11:14 - Nov 26 with 2002 viewsmonytowbray

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 11:05 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

It does need the ? in the title as it is talking about a TV programme

The TV programme doesn't need it then!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 11:20 - Nov 26 with 1997 viewschicoazul

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 10:59 - Nov 26 by CoachRob

"and it doesn't help that we so happen to be at the end of an ice age" - Pleistocene glacial and interglacial periods are factored into GCM models.

"we now need to fund a retreat from the areas about to be affected by it" - could you explain how you are going to achieve the same crop yields in tundra locations.

No idea, sorry. Dont come to me for solutions, come to me for invective. Im like Roy Keane in that sense.

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 11:22 - Nov 26 with 1990 viewschicoazul

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 11:05 - Nov 26 by DanTheMan

Climate change has happened as is getting worse. If we continue to do nothing it will mean we end up with a planet comparable to what it was like millions of years ago.

Doing something is not utterly pointless, it can certainly be useful (especially if as a society more people do it). Counting down on the amount of meat we eat among other things are fairly simple changes we can make to help. Obviously there are other large things we can't do much about other than protest which need to happen at a Government level.

Funding a retreat from the seas might work OK(ish) for us but there are multiple island nations that won't be able to move anywhere other than the bottom of the sea. We can still do something to reverse the issues but everyone is too busy either giving up or blaming others rather than trying to do anything.

Honestly this topic is one of the most immensely frustrating things for me as I just don't understand the utter apathy people seem to have for this.

It's pointless imply because unless your China, India, Mexico, Indonesia, Brazil et al do the same thing at the same rate - which they won't - then what you and I and our country does (specifically on carbon emissions) is irrelevant other than to make us feel better. We are not an important or influential country anymore.

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 11:33 - Nov 26 with 1967 viewsDanTheMan

Meat, a threat to our planet? on 11:22 - Nov 26 by chicoazul

It's pointless imply because unless your China, India, Mexico, Indonesia, Brazil et al do the same thing at the same rate - which they won't - then what you and I and our country does (specifically on carbon emissions) is irrelevant other than to make us feel better. We are not an important or influential country anymore.

If everyone takes the attitude, across all the other countries, then we are screwed.

If something is to change then I'd least like to try and also be one of those annoying people screaming at others to do their part for the good of humanity rather than shrugging my shoulders saying "oh well we're screwed".

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024