Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) 19:14 - Dec 7 with 1324 viewsgainsboroughblue

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 19:30 - Dec 7 with 1294 viewsbackwaywhen

RIP ... tried hard to bring Nodge up to our level , before going to Villa .
Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 19:40 - Dec 7 with 1259 viewspatrickswell

Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 19:30 - Dec 7 by backwaywhen

RIP ... tried hard to bring Nodge up to our level , before going to Villa .

It's interesting to see that he achieved something Bobby Robson never did in winning a league championship, but by late-1987 he was out of the game altogether.
Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 19:46 - Dec 7 with 1231 viewsBloomBlue

Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 19:40 - Dec 7 by patrickswell

It's interesting to see that he achieved something Bobby Robson never did in winning a league championship, but by late-1987 he was out of the game altogether.

Precisely people forget he took an underachieving club to actually winning the league, certainly one of the great managers
Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 19:56 - Dec 7 with 1211 viewsTrequartista

Think there was some sort of bustup at Villa not long after the title win and he went to Birmingham fairly bitter about his fomer club.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 20:38 - Dec 7 with 1100 viewspatrickswell

Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 19:56 - Dec 7 by Trequartista

Think there was some sort of bustup at Villa not long after the title win and he went to Birmingham fairly bitter about his fomer club.

Indeed, that was around the time Doug Ellis was trying to regain control of Villa, I think.
Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 21:06 - Dec 7 with 1059 viewsmanchego

that was so obviously, ridiculously our title I hate thinking about it.

we beat them 3 times out of 3 - helpfully knocking them out of the cup early - which we got to the semis of - which knackered us - while we were winning the UEFA Cup - and ending up just behind them - who used 14 players all season.

god I should move on.
Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 21:18 - Dec 7 with 1035 viewsFtnfwest

Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 21:06 - Dec 7 by manchego

we beat them 3 times out of 3 - helpfully knocking them out of the cup early - which we got to the semis of - which knackered us - while we were winning the UEFA Cup - and ending up just behind them - who used 14 players all season.

god I should move on.

Over the years I’ve come to accept that the best team doesn’t always win
Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 21:26 - Dec 7 with 1029 viewsallezlesbleus

god I should move on.

I feel exactly the same, so gutted we didn't win the league that year.

Having said that, Ron Saunders done incredibly well to win the league. I didn't remember that he left Villa in Feb '82, before they went on to win the European Cup.

RIP Ron.
Login to get fewer ads

Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 22:59 - Dec 7 with 925 viewsChurchman

god I should move on.

Me too. Talk about scratching a sore place. We were a better side than Villa by a margin. We were too good and ran out of steam. Everything fell into place for Villa, sadly. But hey, what an outstanding team we had in that period. It was a total privilege to see us play and they were the best of the basically 3 decent sides Robson put together.
Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 04:06 - Dec 8 with 828 viewsKilburnBlue

He was one of only two Englishman still alive who had won the top flight in English football.

Only Howard Wilkinson remains now

Ron Saunders RIP (n/t) on 09:17 - Dec 8 with 729 viewsElephantintheRoom

His 'Jimmy for Scotland, Paddon for England...' team made local derbies genuinely exciting events.... and if memory serves he took Naaaarwich to a wembley final. As said already, he did something Robson never managed to achieve, win the league, with a fairly limited team that was nowhere good as Town's team at the time... and it was effectively his team that won the European Cup. Astonishing achievements.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024