Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1991/92 09:34 - Dec 18 with 1950 viewscatch74

Those who watched most of it, any similarities to this year so far, ignoring the fact we’re a division lower?
Did the football really click second half of the season? - fingers crossed.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

1991/92 on 15:07 - Dec 18 with 468 viewsIpswichKnight

1991/92 on 14:51 - Dec 18 by Pinewoodblue

1991 was last time Swindon have beaten us in a league game. Seem to recall our players bring in awe of him , don’t thing he was tackled once.

Bit like Chris Marsden in that Southampton game I still remember shouting just FACKING hack him as he danced his way from the half way line and one by one we backed off and shouted on your way mate!
1991/92 on 15:45 - Dec 18 with 436 viewsThe_Last_Baron

1991/92 on 12:05 - Dec 18 by Pendejo

October 2 home defeats within days, if memory serves me correct, Cambridge & Sunderland

Boxing Day [was it?] home win against Blackburn was immense, the games against Liverpool [despite losing] gave them confidence.

But overall squad then had far more quality than now, and as others have pointed out team more or less picked itself. Continuity / consistency?

There's no comparison. We had a fine side in 1991-92, the experienced players like Warkl, Whitton and Goddard did a great job and Dozzell and Kiwomya were great in attack.

Steve Palmer also had a fine season in midfield. Gavin Johnson also had his best season.

This current lot we have are struggling to win in League One for a reason.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

1991/92 on 15:49 - Dec 18 with 434 viewspointofblue

1991/92 on 15:45 - Dec 18 by The_Last_Baron

There's no comparison. We had a fine side in 1991-92, the experienced players like Warkl, Whitton and Goddard did a great job and Dozzell and Kiwomya were great in attack.

Steve Palmer also had a fine season in midfield. Gavin Johnson also had his best season.

This current lot we have are struggling to win in League One for a reason.

Reading the rest of the thread didn't the side of 91/92 struggle to win the second tier for long parts? If we went back in time and ask fans pre-Christmas 1991 whether we'd go up, let alone as champions, wouldn't the points being put forward (again, reading the thread) be similar to what is being said now? Except for the rotation part.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

1991/92 on 15:51 - Dec 18 with 434 viewscatch74

1991/92 on 15:07 - Dec 18 by IpswichKnight

Bit like Chris Marsden in that Southampton game I still remember shouting just FACKING hack him as he danced his way from the half way line and one by one we backed off and shouted on your way mate!

Thanks all- I remember the Blackburn home game well (but not many others, think I went travelling so missed quite a few), I had a minor parking incident and ended up arriving late, already 1-0 down. Loved the comeback.
The differences as have been pointed out:
No settled team now, we were unfancied back then, crowds had plummeted - looking at the average that season think it was about 14800. Plus 1992 all players good on the ball, lots of pace plus a bit of toughness. (Think with the latter bit, it shows when Downes is missing, especially his tenacity.)

I’m hoping it’s more the pattern of results we replicate!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

1991/92 on 16:00 - Dec 18 with 431 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Can't really see too many similarities at all really. What a season that was.

We played good football, could mix it with the best of them, had pace, flair, creativity and when Alf Buskh was ref (every other home game it seemed like) we couldn't have con a penalty!

A settled side that barely seemed to change, every player had a specific job and once it clicked we were an absolute joy to watch.

Aside from being in the automatic promotion places I'd say this season has no real similarities with 91/92 or even 99/00.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

1991/92 on 16:18 - Dec 18 with 425 viewschicoazul

1991/92 on 14:10 - Dec 18 by ITFC_Forever

Tony Vaughan didn't play for us until 1996 or thereabouts

I'm so confused.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

1991/92 on 16:22 - Dec 18 with 415 viewspointofblue

1991/92 on 16:00 - Dec 18 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Can't really see too many similarities at all really. What a season that was.

We played good football, could mix it with the best of them, had pace, flair, creativity and when Alf Buskh was ref (every other home game it seemed like) we couldn't have con a penalty!

A settled side that barely seemed to change, every player had a specific job and once it clicked we were an absolute joy to watch.

Aside from being in the automatic promotion places I'd say this season has no real similarities with 91/92 or even 99/00.

Though even in 1999/2000...

27/10/1999 - Manchester City (A) L0-1
30/10/1999 - Grimsby (H) W2-0
02/11/1999 - Huddersfield (A) L1-3
06/11/1999 - Blackburn (H) D2-2
12/11/1999 - Tranmere (H) D0-0
21/11/1999 - Norwich (A) D0-0

One win out of six, six points out of a possible 18 with only five scored. What is it about us and November???
After the Huddersfield reverse we didn't lose again until 4th March and around that date...

27/02/2000 - Birmingham (A) D1-1
04/03/2000 - Portsmouth (H) L0-1
07/03/2000 - Blackburn (H) D0-0
11/03/2000 - Wolves (A) L1-2
19/03/2000 - Norwich (H) L0-2

Three points out of a possible fifteen and only scored twice. It was unfortunate both times we met Norwich we were in a slight slump though we won the match directly afterwards on both occasions.

I can't remember these performances - maybe we deserved more out of some of them than we got but I'd argue we deserved more from Wycombe and Bristol Rovers too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

1991/92 on 16:33 - Dec 18 with 406 viewsRadlett_blue

1991/92 on 11:54 - Dec 18 by GlasgowBlue

If memory serves, two of our better players, Goddard and Zondervan were injured very early on so we brought in the more workmanlike Steve Palmer into midfield and pushed Dozzell up front with Kiwomya.

We had a bit of steel about us and Steve Whitton was a great outlet for long balls hoofed up to him on the right wing.

We were unfancied at the start of the season but hit the ground running before having a little wobble in late October/ early November before picking up decent form again.

I didn't rate Palmer as a footballer & I think it's no surprise that our winning run, which lifted us from promotion hopefuls to Championship winners, coincided with his relegation to the bench & essentially being replaced in the XI by Paul Goddard.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024