Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Controversal Thought..... 15:58 - Dec 18 with 3470 viewsIP12

I've just watched the highlights of Fallon Sherrock's win at the PDC Darts. How long will it be before female footballers are playing in league teams. I appreciate the argument about physical strength but long, long ago one of ITFC's most accurate passers of a ball would not live with the current levels of fitness. Jimmy Leadbetter ('Sticks' to many)struggled run BUT could pass a ball over 40 or 50 yards and land it on a sixpence (sorry about the old money). He was the principal architect of Crawford & Phillips goals through that ability. (Awaits arrival of down arrows)
Controversal Thought..... on 23:40 - Dec 19 with 640 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Controversal Thought..... on 16:04 - Dec 18 by WarkTheWarkITFC

In 10 years or so I would imagine you'll have women playing semi-professionally in teams with men. Not many but the way gender fluidity is going, I think it's inevitable that over the next 10-20 years every sport will effectively be open to all.

That creates an entirely separate set of issues as I am sure that won't be without incident in terms of shared spaces, sexism, physical altercations and so on, but I can't see any way that sport can continue to remain mens and womens given that there are increasing numbers of people born as men who identify as women and vice versa and the physical advantages a woman born as a man may have in individual sports if competing with other women born women.

Very complex situation which will take decades to find its place and there will be all sorts of issues whilst it does.

It will never happen. Ask any woman footballer and they'll tell you this. Women footballers don't want to play with in mens football.

Men are stronger, quicker and more aggressive and a woman would not be able to compete.

The USA team which won the World Cup in 2015 played an under-15 college side and were hammered 5-2. That's the best in the world versus a boys team.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Controversal Thought..... on 06:43 - Dec 20 with 604 viewsBlueRaider

It would be great, though it would be a smallish pool I guess. I think cricket may see women playing with men quite soon. Before her mental health issues Sarah Taylor was on the brink of playing for Sussex and was widely seen as the best wicketkeeper in the world, male or female.

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Controversal Thought..... on 08:41 - Dec 20 with 583 viewsRadlett_blue

Controversal Thought..... on 06:43 - Dec 20 by BlueRaider

It would be great, though it would be a smallish pool I guess. I think cricket may see women playing with men quite soon. Before her mental health issues Sarah Taylor was on the brink of playing for Sussex and was widely seen as the best wicketkeeper in the world, male or female.

Sarah Taylor is interesting. Clearly very talented and she probably benefited from playing in the Brighton College boys team (seem as controversial at the time) as she was then exposed to a much higher level of play. She was also a good enough wicket keeper to play Graded cricket in Australia. As cricket is a non-contact sport, no reason why women shouldn't play alongside men & no reason why a woman shouldn't be just as good a wicket keeper, or indeed a batter as Sachin Tendulkar was only 5'5".
However, I would guess that allowing all cricket to be mixed gender would reduce overall female participation, although it would probably also allow a few exceptional female players to improve & compete properly with the men.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Controversal Thought..... on 08:52 - Dec 20 with 582 viewsVaughan8

Controversal Thought..... on 16:13 - Dec 18 by Radlett_blue

Darts isn't a game where size & strength give much advantage, although I guess height & reach gives you some edge. Football is and that's the main reason why the England Ladies team would probably lose to the U16s.
In most sports, the number of very good players is directly related to the size of the pool of people who play the sport regularly and want to be competitive. I'd guess the number of women who try to play darts seriously is way smaller than the number of men, so ergo the standard is much lower.

This is exactly it.

In sports where size and strength doesn't matter, I.e Snooker its OK. I cannot see how it can become mixed in sports like football/rugby/tennis etc.

Men are just naturally stronger and therefore in most cases will have a big advantage. Not everything has to be mixed.
Controversal Thought..... on 09:23 - Dec 20 with 577 viewsStokieBlue

Controversal Thought..... on 22:26 - Dec 19 by HARRY10

I never said they could, I merely pointed out that due to lack of contact they can

ie mixed doubles

That's not really what we were discussing though as it's an existing sport. The use of "compete" I took to mean actually compete on an even footing with the men.

So I think we agree, they can't do that realistically.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Controversal Thought..... on 11:32 - Dec 20 with 563 viewsDecoy_Octopus

As much as I would love to see this happen. I do think the physicality of it will stop men and women playing together. Same for Tennis (not including mixed doubles) , Rugby etc.

I know it's not a sport as such but if you watch the TV show Ninja Warrior UK, you'll see the contestants have to complete a very tough obstacle course in the quickest time. Anyone can enter and men and women complete the same course. The finals which the fastest contestants take part in are almost always all men or if women qualify its only one or two at most in a field of about 20 I think

I would love it though, and I reckon it'll happen in cricket soon as someone above said. And already does in sports like darts and Formula 1
[Post edited 20 Dec 2019 11:35]
Controversal Thought..... on 11:49 - Dec 20 with 552 viewsBigManBlue

Controversal Thought..... on 08:41 - Dec 20 by Radlett_blue

Sarah Taylor is interesting. Clearly very talented and she probably benefited from playing in the Brighton College boys team (seem as controversial at the time) as she was then exposed to a much higher level of play. She was also a good enough wicket keeper to play Graded cricket in Australia. As cricket is a non-contact sport, no reason why women shouldn't play alongside men & no reason why a woman shouldn't be just as good a wicket keeper, or indeed a batter as Sachin Tendulkar was only 5'5".
However, I would guess that allowing all cricket to be mixed gender would reduce overall female participation, although it would probably also allow a few exceptional female players to improve & compete properly with the men.

Interesting point. I hadn't considered that, whilst the elite would have a better opportunity to excel (better standard from a much earlier time, facilities, etc) those who aren't in that bracket are even lower down the pecking order so might be more likely to drop out altogether. Unless the very top level is mixed, with gender specific teams beneath them, similar to age groups?

Ugh, my head hurts now...

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Controversal Thought..... on 13:40 - Dec 20 with 525 viewsRadlett_blue

Controversal Thought..... on 11:32 - Dec 20 by Decoy_Octopus

As much as I would love to see this happen. I do think the physicality of it will stop men and women playing together. Same for Tennis (not including mixed doubles) , Rugby etc.

I know it's not a sport as such but if you watch the TV show Ninja Warrior UK, you'll see the contestants have to complete a very tough obstacle course in the quickest time. Anyone can enter and men and women complete the same course. The finals which the fastest contestants take part in are almost always all men or if women qualify its only one or two at most in a field of about 20 I think

I would love it though, and I reckon it'll happen in cricket soon as someone above said. And already does in sports like darts and Formula 1
[Post edited 20 Dec 2019 11:35]

In motor racing, men should theoretically have no advantage (& are at a slight disadvantage in karting as men are usually heavier). However, the lack of success of women in motor racing is probably cultural - they find it harder to get drives as a result of prejudice so very few women attempt the sport. It may also be down to aggression. Men outperform women in chess and apparently that's down to women not being aggressive enough, which makes sense in a game which is a battle.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Controversal Thought..... on 17:29 - Dec 20 with 496 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Controversal Thought..... on 13:40 - Dec 20 by Radlett_blue

In motor racing, men should theoretically have no advantage (& are at a slight disadvantage in karting as men are usually heavier). However, the lack of success of women in motor racing is probably cultural - they find it harder to get drives as a result of prejudice so very few women attempt the sport. It may also be down to aggression. Men outperform women in chess and apparently that's down to women not being aggressive enough, which makes sense in a game which is a battle.

To be successful in motorsport you need a fearless mentality. Everything you do is automatic and you cannot afford to think about any manoeuvre you make. This is what ended Stirling Moss' career after his accident; he began thinking about what he was doing as he had some fear which he hadn't had before. Lots of motorcyclists who survive bad accidents suffer the same.

The upshot is that men have this fearless quality, women generally don't. Which is why men are less cautious than women in life, take more risks and are far more likely do die due to accidents.

Also, F1 has a high physical factor, the g forces are immense and you have to be very fit and strong to compete.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024