Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leasing a car as opposed to buying 16:36 - Dec 19 with 4328 viewsFixed_It

Just considering this as an option next year, and thought I would ask in the obvious place for advice on advantages and potential pitfalls. Worth considering?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 10:08 - Dec 20 with 624 viewsFoD_Blue

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 08:31 - Dec 20 by chicoazul

How you getting on with dat dere I30? I really fancy that I30N and supposedly Hyundai have come on in a big way with their engines, trim etc. Plenty of good deals on it too.

It went back about 6 months ago at the end of the lease.
I had absolutely no problems at all with it. It drove well, had enough features to keep me happy and I would certainly consider getting a Hyundai again in the future.
If I was in the market to get another car, I would definitely be looking at another Hyundai.
Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 10:26 - Dec 20 with 603 viewschicoazul

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 10:08 - Dec 20 by FoD_Blue

It went back about 6 months ago at the end of the lease.
I had absolutely no problems at all with it. It drove well, had enough features to keep me happy and I would certainly consider getting a Hyundai again in the future.
If I was in the market to get another car, I would definitely be looking at another Hyundai.

TYB

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 14:15 - Dec 20 with 566 viewsMVBlue

I have a PCP deal 3.9% APR. 10% up front.
This rolls over after 3 years into the next car.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 14:24 - Dec 20 with 564 viewsPinewoodblue

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 14:15 - Dec 20 by MVBlue

I have a PCP deal 3.9% APR. 10% up front.
This rolls over after 3 years into the next car.

P.C.P. All the potential of being the next miss selling scandal

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 15:53 - Dec 20 with 548 viewsGaryCooper

Be careful, really careful of damage claims, the miniscule is highlighted and charged at excessive rates to repair.
Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 16:00 - Dec 20 with 548 viewsclive_baker

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 08:31 - Dec 20 by chicoazul

How you getting on with dat dere I30? I really fancy that I30N and supposedly Hyundai have come on in a big way with their engines, trim etc. Plenty of good deals on it too.

My take is any manufacturer willing to offer a 7 year / 100,000 mile guarantee must have confidence in the build quality. Kia & Hyundai although not 'sexy' definitely could represent excellent value and 'stress free' driving thanks to the warranties.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 16:40 - Dec 20 with 542 viewsblue62

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 21:50 - Dec 19 by Argyle_blue

There was a thread about this a while back. I looked into it in some detail and could not see why anyone would do it. Much better off buying a car with a loan which is what I did. I’m paying the same amount as a lease and I have something at the end of the loan.

Depends on what you want. If you're looking at a cheaper end car then yes agree with you.

I have the Golf GTE which is just over £30k which I couldn't afford to get a loan for that even if it is worth £13-14k at the end of 2 - 3 years.

Lease sometimes works better depending on your needs or wants.
Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 20:38 - Dec 20 with 507 viewsstopmoaning

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 16:38 - Dec 19 by GeoffSentence

I have always been a bit suspicious of leasing deals, if only because car dealers are so keen on pushing them these days and the only reason I can see why they would do that is that they will make more money from it.

With leasing, anything - not just cars, the business gets paid immediately by the lease company. So they don't get as much money due to fees etc, but it's an easier sell, so they shift more volume.

Anyway, I've leased a few cars, and never been charged for damage, but it does hang over your head throughout, and I've over estimated miles before so paid for something I didn't need.
Login to get fewer ads

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 20:58 - Dec 20 with 497 viewsDurovigutum

It really depends on your circumstances.

I had two cars, a Zafira we bought outright brand new for £11k and was the family bus, and a Volvo V40 I leased for my work. As I am home based and get 45p a mile this worked well, as it cost about 26p a mile on the lease, plus about 12p a mile in fuel. I drove a brand new car and there was enough margin to pay for my private miles as well.

If I had a commute I would go to somewhere like Motorpoint and buy nearly new, where someone else has taken the depreciation hit. I'd finance using a cheap (Zopa) personal loan as they are so cheap and I'd rather keep my money tucked away.

We've recently replaced the Zafira with an XC40 and have gone PCP. This is because the PCP cost was only a few pounds a month more than the lease but the PCP gives me greater flexibility - if my mileage varies I can keep the car a longer/shorter period (which is not possible on a lease), however there is a little more risk in the residual value aspect (however I can always voluntary terminate - a legal loophole very much in your favour).

With any financial commitment you are well advised to consider the "what if". What if I lose my job or it changes and I have lots of miles/no miles to do? Too many people are so desperate for a shiny German motor they borrow to the max and then can't avoid decent tyres or to drive faster than 56 mph.

Needless to say, check leasing.com for the best lease prices on every model car out there.
Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 21:03 - Dec 20 with 490 viewsjeera

Leasing a car as opposed to buying on 16:40 - Dec 20 by blue62

Depends on what you want. If you're looking at a cheaper end car then yes agree with you.

I have the Golf GTE which is just over £30k which I couldn't afford to get a loan for that even if it is worth £13-14k at the end of 2 - 3 years.

Lease sometimes works better depending on your needs or wants.

Like you and others have pointed out, it's horses for course isn't it.

Lots to consider and take on board.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024