Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I am trying to be green - really I am 19:50 - Jan 10 with 3805 viewsbluelagos

But it's too cold for my little fingers to be riding a motorbike all winter...I have cracked.

So - need some wheels.

Requirements are:
Weekends away - boot for camping gear. Also for early starts - I'd like something I can (occasionally) lie down / sleep in. So over 5ft 8 with the seats down.

Run around for occasional food shop.

Not overly worried about status / speed (Cos I ride bikes which clearly annihilate anything you could suggest in that regard :-) but nice driving car better than a poor one.

Budget - am tight as - but happy to cough up for something really good. But simply can't bring myself to spend more than 25k on a car - would much rather spend 10k tbh and buy another motorbike.

Ideas of cars to look at appreciated. You can save the mocking for if/when I have finally cracked.

Edited title - from past tense.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2020 0:57]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I tried to be green - really I did on 04:48 - Jan 11 with 1065 viewsjeera

I tried to be green - really I did on 04:47 - Jan 11 by NewcyBlue

Nah didn’t come across as a dig mate.

I do get a lot of enjoyment out of having a car I like.

I wanted a Jag for a long long time. That drive home in it was amazing.

To think I have gone from living in a Mondeo and earning £500 a month to where I am now... it’s staggering. I have gone further than a man of my looks or intellect should.

You thus provide hope to us all.

Ha.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I tried to be green - really I did on 05:00 - Jan 11 with 1062 viewsLord_Lucan

I tried to be green - really I did on 04:44 - Jan 11 by jeera

Are you still 'over there'?

I had a feck off rib-in-bone steak tonight with a bottle of Malbec.

How was your eyeballs in clear soup with noodles?

I jest of course. What's the food like where you are?

The food is great, everything in this province is spicy. I only had one bad meal a few days back. I'm happy to eat all sorts but I won't eat snake, goose feet or small bird which are all popular here. Snake is weird because you imagine it to be solid meat but it is very bony, I don't like it. I've had all sorts of cr4p in the past (duck head, tortoise penis, bat) but they now know what westerners won't eat so it's ok. When my wife sometimes comes out with me she tells people that she is a vegetarian because otherwise at some point you are going to get a knuckle of goat in hot water which they call soup. The food here is totally different to the chinese food we get at home, that is Cantonese and the sort of thing you get in Hong Kong, I don't like that much - far too sweet.

A guy I know from Colchester is over here at the moment and he won't eat any local food, he goes to McDonalds or KFC every day. The youngsters over here love Pizza Hut and KFC and they are getting fat, you never saw fat Chinese kids 15 years ago. It is becoming more and more westernised and I find this quite depressing.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I tried to be green - really I did on 05:16 - Jan 11 with 1042 viewsjeera

I tried to be green - really I did on 05:00 - Jan 11 by Lord_Lucan

The food is great, everything in this province is spicy. I only had one bad meal a few days back. I'm happy to eat all sorts but I won't eat snake, goose feet or small bird which are all popular here. Snake is weird because you imagine it to be solid meat but it is very bony, I don't like it. I've had all sorts of cr4p in the past (duck head, tortoise penis, bat) but they now know what westerners won't eat so it's ok. When my wife sometimes comes out with me she tells people that she is a vegetarian because otherwise at some point you are going to get a knuckle of goat in hot water which they call soup. The food here is totally different to the chinese food we get at home, that is Cantonese and the sort of thing you get in Hong Kong, I don't like that much - far too sweet.

A guy I know from Colchester is over here at the moment and he won't eat any local food, he goes to McDonalds or KFC every day. The youngsters over here love Pizza Hut and KFC and they are getting fat, you never saw fat Chinese kids 15 years ago. It is becoming more and more westernised and I find this quite depressing.

Heh, this is exactly what I was asking.

I've seen some Chinese food in poor parts of Malay* and it was fecking awful, so yes, I get the gist. Good for you for at least trying it though.

I do understand completely you'd be hard put to find sticky ribs with egg fried rice in those parts... Maybe someone should introduce it to them. They might even like it.

No one likes a fat kid mate. That needs to stop.

*And I have to say, in parts of London some years back. With greasy green tea you could stand your chopsticks in.

I tried to be green - really I did on 05:36 - Jan 11 with 1030 viewsLord_Lucan

I tried to be green - really I did on 05:16 - Jan 11 by jeera

Heh, this is exactly what I was asking.

I've seen some Chinese food in poor parts of Malay* and it was fecking awful, so yes, I get the gist. Good for you for at least trying it though.

I do understand completely you'd be hard put to find sticky ribs with egg fried rice in those parts... Maybe someone should introduce it to them. They might even like it.

No one likes a fat kid mate. That needs to stop.

*And I have to say, in parts of London some years back. With greasy green tea you could stand your chopsticks in.

I tell you what, the best two things here are shredded beef fully loaded with red chilis and sliced pork with fat. I would like to cook the beef at home but I simply don’t know how they shred it so fine.

The pork thing they eat is a wonder. I’ll try my best to describe it. You know those hovis biscuits you get in those assorted creme cracker boxes, well each slice is exactly the same shape and size as them but here’s the thing. 50% is meat and 50% is soft belly fat and it tastes unbelievable.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

I tried to be green - really I did on 05:41 - Jan 11 with 1026 viewsjeera

I tried to be green - really I did on 05:36 - Jan 11 by Lord_Lucan

I tell you what, the best two things here are shredded beef fully loaded with red chilis and sliced pork with fat. I would like to cook the beef at home but I simply don’t know how they shred it so fine.

The pork thing they eat is a wonder. I’ll try my best to describe it. You know those hovis biscuits you get in those assorted creme cracker boxes, well each slice is exactly the same shape and size as them but here’s the thing. 50% is meat and 50% is soft belly fat and it tastes unbelievable.

Oh I can get on board with those - that sounds great.

Can't shove a few into the suitcase, or better still, buy it in for resale?

See, this is the real stuff we miss out on here.

I don't want a poxy menu by numbers from a local takeaway.

I tried to be green - really I did on 05:54 - Jan 11 with 1019 viewsLord_Lucan

I tried to be green - really I did on 05:41 - Jan 11 by jeera

Oh I can get on board with those - that sounds great.

Can't shove a few into the suitcase, or better still, buy it in for resale?

See, this is the real stuff we miss out on here.

I don't want a poxy menu by numbers from a local takeaway.

If I remember I’ll take some photos and PM them to you. Even if there are only two or three of you you still have a table the size of a centre circle and they bring out about 20 dishes so even if they bring out stuff that is unidentifiable there is always something else. What never ceases to amaze me is they generally bring out a massive fish with full on head and all that - but they then only eat about three flakes and then it gets binned!

Why are you up so late / early anyway? Booze, insomnia?

I tried to be green - really I did on 06:07 - Jan 11 with 1012 viewsjeera

I tried to be green - really I did on 05:54 - Jan 11 by Lord_Lucan

If I remember I’ll take some photos and PM them to you. Even if there are only two or three of you you still have a table the size of a centre circle and they bring out about 20 dishes so even if they bring out stuff that is unidentifiable there is always something else. What never ceases to amaze me is they generally bring out a massive fish with full on head and all that - but they then only eat about three flakes and then it gets binned!

Why are you up so late / early anyway? Booze, insomnia?

That sounds good -thanks. I look forward to it if you get the chance.

I thought they would be big into fish as it goes.

Me? I had a bit of an afternoon thing yesterday so sort of drank, ate, fell asleep, found myself wide awake, drank some more, ate...slept. Got some stuff on iplayer atm.

Anyone reading and judging this has also done it themselves so I have no issue with sharing...

The only thing is, the beef was huge, so I figured there's enough for 2/3 days but I've had trouble leaving it alone. I've had to wrap it and stick it in the fridge to make sure there's some for later.

Might warm some croissants in a minute. That's more breakfasty than steak.

I tried to be green - really I did on 06:21 - Jan 11 with 1008 viewsblueconscience

I tried to be green - really I did on 03:34 - Jan 11 by Lord_Lucan

I don't see why people spend a fortune on cars, I would rather spend the money on life.

I currently have a Hyundai Santa Fe which I have unfortunately just written off but it is the best driving experience I have had.

2007 model, nothing new and flash. Cars are a waste of money IMHO, why do people spend fortunes on them. Before house prices exploded my next door neighbour of my previous abode had a car worth more than his house. Ridiculous!

For some people a nice car is used as a motivation to get out of bed in the morning. They maybe a waste of money, but if people are earning that wasted money and have what they want, then good for them.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Login to get fewer ads

I tried to be green - really I did on 08:38 - Jan 11 with 971 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I tried to be green - really I did on 00:17 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

Edit: it might have been a fair point but I'm hindsight it was a miserable one.

Enjoy your wheels.

SB
[Post edited 11 Jan 2020 5:18]

Good man....I resisted replying last night that somebody had got in the wrong side of bed!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I tried to be green - really I did on 08:42 - Jan 11 with 971 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I tried to be green - really I did on 00:41 - Jan 11 by bluelagos

So you're trying to palm Mrs Slave off eh? Hope she's not a Twtdr for your sake BDS

It was her suggestion.......who would I be to deny her the opportunity....she's a sucker for a possible route to a vintage bus, it would appear that the vintage caravan is no longer enough!!

I tried to be green - really I did on 08:45 - Jan 11 with 970 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I tried to be green - really I did on 03:26 - Jan 11 by NewcyBlue

I slept in a Mondeo estate when I was homeless.

It wasn’t the most comfortable.

Buy an old Transit if it’s just for you and for going camping. You can do all sorts in the back of one of them.

Or get one of the smaller transits.

There are loads of options.

I top trump your Mondeo and raise you a Capri.....used to wake with my nose very close to the rear window (being 6'3)

I tried to be green - really I did on 09:07 - Jan 11 with 965 viewsNewcyBlue

I tried to be green - really I did on 08:45 - Jan 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

I top trump your Mondeo and raise you a Capri.....used to wake with my nose very close to the rear window (being 6'3)

I loved my Capri.

1.6 Laser. In Black.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

I tried to be green - really I did on 09:11 - Jan 11 with 961 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I tried to be green - really I did on 09:07 - Jan 11 by NewcyBlue

I loved my Capri.

1.6 Laser. In Black.

Yeah....if only the engine on mine had worked!!

Edit... high on green credentials mind you.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2020 9:12]

I am trying to be green - really I am on 09:14 - Jan 11 with 959 viewsDurovigutum

Volvo V60. The new model has hit the previous model hard with depreciation so you can get a very up to date version for £10k.

With any car choice if you are doing a lot of short journey "running around" of only a few miles and the engine is not getting warmed up, avoid a diesel.
I tried to be green - really I did on 10:12 - Jan 11 with 949 viewsbluelagos

I tried to be green - really I did on 08:42 - Jan 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

It was her suggestion.......who would I be to deny her the opportunity....she's a sucker for a possible route to a vintage bus, it would appear that the vintage caravan is no longer enough!!

In that case, pm a photo 😁

I am trying to be green - really I am on 10:22 - Jan 11 with 942 viewsallezlesbleus

My first car was a Hillman Avenger estate (which, for some reason, I nicknamed "Big Al). It doubled up as a "camper" on several occasions after nights out at The Tartan House.
I tried to be green - really I did on 10:28 - Jan 11 with 937 viewsbluelagos

I tried to be green - really I did on 08:38 - Jan 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

Good man....I resisted replying last night that somebody had got in the wrong side of bed!

It was a tad harsh, but under lieing it was a fair point too. (Think I may have rubbed SB up the wrong way at some point, but not about to fall out over it - maybe a pm my way if I have SB?)

Which promoted me to google away and found upon these two car clubs in Ipswich...

https://como.org.uk/shared-mobility/shared-cars/where/

2 listed in Ipswich, wonder if anyone on here has used them, any experience? Clearly London is way better served, and going to be a while til these are widely available, but got to be a way forward?

Rereading my post hiring a car seems so much more green.(thanks SB for forcusing the mind). One problem is the ladt time I hired a midsize (to travel to Wales with hiking gear) and I picked it up ended up with a Fiat500. Squeezed in, but had to leave pushbike out...

I am trying to be green - really I am on 10:29 - Jan 11 with 933 viewsLord_Lucan

I am trying to be green - really I am on 10:22 - Jan 11 by allezlesbleus

My first car was a Hillman Avenger estate (which, for some reason, I nicknamed "Big Al). It doubled up as a "camper" on several occasions after nights out at The Tartan House.

Brilliant stuff!

My first car was a Vauxhall Victor and oh man - Have car will travel!

Tartan House - and what was the name of that place in / near Marks Tey?

I saw Roger DeCourcey (sp) and Nookie the Bear there once at a strip night and the birds selected me from the crowd, handcuffed me to the seat, stripped my clothes off and covered me in shaving foam - and then the lights went up and they had a break, the rest of the audience went to get refills of beer and I was left on this bloody seat for 20 minutes not being able to move.

And it was semi legal to drink and drive back then.

Halcyon days!

I am trying to be green - really I am on 10:32 - Jan 11 with 926 viewsbluelagos

I am trying to be green - really I am on 10:29 - Jan 11 by Lord_Lucan

Brilliant stuff!

My first car was a Vauxhall Victor and oh man - Have car will travel!

Tartan House - and what was the name of that place in / near Marks Tey?

I saw Roger DeCourcey (sp) and Nookie the Bear there once at a strip night and the birds selected me from the crowd, handcuffed me to the seat, stripped my clothes off and covered me in shaving foam - and then the lights went up and they had a break, the rest of the audience went to get refills of beer and I was left on this bloody seat for 20 minutes not being able to move.

And it was semi legal to drink and drive back then.

Halcyon days!

Marks Tey one was the Copford Windmill.

Tartan house was Elmstead / -Fratting way I think.

I am trying to be green - really I am on 10:39 - Jan 11 with 923 viewsLord_Lucan

I am trying to be green - really I am on 10:32 - Jan 11 by bluelagos

That's it, The Windmill.

Super!

I tried to be green - really I did on 10:46 - Jan 11 with 919 viewsRyorry

I tried to be green - really I did on 04:47 - Jan 11 by NewcyBlue

Nah didn’t come across as a dig mate.

I do get a lot of enjoyment out of having a car I like.

I wanted a Jag for a long long time. That drive home in it was amazing.

To think I have gone from living in a Mondeo and earning £500 a month to where I am now... it’s staggering. I have gone further than a man of my looks or intellect should.

"I didn't get where I am today by talking about Dutch parking meter disease!"

'Reg Perrin' - Ser.1 Ep.5:

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I tried to be green - really I did on 10:49 - Jan 11 with 919 viewsRyorry

I tried to be green - really I did on 03:26 - Jan 11 by NewcyBlue

I slept in a Mondeo estate when I was homeless.

It wasn’t the most comfortable.

Buy an old Transit if it’s just for you and for going camping. You can do all sorts in the back of one of them.

Or get one of the smaller transits.

There are loads of options.

Hah, I slept in a Volvo when I became homeless but it wasn't an estate, think yours might have been longer - but then you might be taller than me!

Found a tent comfier - until mid-September ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I am trying to be green - really I am on 10:59 - Jan 11 with 914 viewsbluelagos

I am trying to be green - really I am on 10:39 - Jan 11 by Lord_Lucan

That's it, The Windmill.

Super!

Not had a 80s nightclubs thread for a while. Was a regular at those 2 plus Memories (Halstead)

Braintree had a couple of decent spots. Most famous was The Barn but I was a regular at The Fantasy.

Nowadays I complain in pubs if the music is too loud. Ffs

I am trying to be green - really I am on 13:36 - Jan 11 with 891 viewsLord_Lucan

I am trying to be green - really I am on 10:59 - Jan 11 by bluelagos

Not had a 80s nightclubs thread for a while. Was a regular at those 2 plus Memories (Halstead)

Braintree had a couple of decent spots. Most famous was The Barn but I was a regular at The Fantasy.

Nowadays I complain in pubs if the music is too loud. Ffs

Can’t say I’ve been to Halstead or Braintree but I’ve got a good few friends in Braintree that would know all the old dives.

I used to go to some right old dive in Barkingside and of course Charlie Chans in Walthamstow, that was quite the place. Also Dukes in Chelmsford and TOTS in Southend had their charm!

Like you I am now now an old growling moaner - I hate a pub that has too many people in it, my ideal pub would be completely empty with just me at the bar reading nonsense on TWTD.

I am trying to be green - really I am on 13:38 - Jan 11 with 889 viewsjeera

I am trying to be green - really I am on 10:32 - Jan 11 by bluelagos

Spent many a time in those places: Windmill, Tartan House, The Barn as someone else mentioned...

Also the Maltings at Stowmarket used to be a good spot for a night out in those days.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024