Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football under Burley 18:22 - Jan 12 with 3400 viewsBramidan

Yes I am an old boy, does anybody remerber the style of play we had under Burley?
Tight triangles, nobody isolated, pass always on. No "stars" in the team.
With success we splashed out on that bloke who had a fabulous World Cup, can't remember his name.
Nobody knew how old he was, he didn't either.
We then started to bang the ball at him because he was the star and would unlock defences, absolute disaster.
I read about modern "systems " but would it be a big ask to return to a compact game with a ready pass available and if you lose possession nobody is isolated?
Why have we made the game so complicated?
Football under Burley on 20:58 - Jan 12 with 639 viewsBramidan

Football under Burley on 20:32 - Jan 12 by stonojnr

Allardyce wouldnt have set his team up to play the way they did in the playoffs if we didnt have that reputation. yep play us at football and youd lose, but tackle hard,bully us, we lost those games fairly consistently, I dont know if it was Burley or the players we had, but we didnt or couldnt cope with teams who were physical

I never saw Allardyce set a team up any other way!
Don't remember Pullis playing a passing game either.
Made me smile the fact that losing in play offs was gut wrenching followed by we didn't survive in the premiership the seasons after.
If only, off to a ground on Tuesday which only has three stands and open behind one end!
Football under Burley on 21:03 - Jan 12 with 628 viewsOxford_Blue

Football under Burley on 20:56 - Jan 12 by jeera

Exactly.

It's completely made up.

Actually it’s not made up.

Those players mainly only featured in the last couple of seasons. They weren’t in the 95/96 or next season’s teams.
Football under Burley on 21:04 - Jan 12 with 628 viewsSteve_M

Football under Burley on 20:45 - Jan 12 by Oxford_Blue

Sure but to what end?

It was all aimed at the premiership and we lasted two seasons. Relegation was disastrous.

To what end do you think the subsequent eighteen years have been?

Burley made mistakes in 2001 which, to some extent the club are still suffering from, but to suggest that turning the abysmal relegation side of 94-95 into a progressive footballing side with cumulative season-on-season improvement wasn't worthwhile in itself is bizarre.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Football under Burley on 21:11 - Jan 12 with 615 viewsjeera

Football under Burley on 21:03 - Jan 12 by Oxford_Blue

Actually it’s not made up.

Those players mainly only featured in the last couple of seasons. They weren’t in the 95/96 or next season’s teams.

Hang on. One moment you're talking about the Prem, then referring back to a few years before.

You are covering all options there chap.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Football under Burley on 21:27 - Jan 12 with 594 viewsMVBlue

Football under Burley on 21:04 - Jan 12 by Steve_M

To what end do you think the subsequent eighteen years have been?

Burley made mistakes in 2001 which, to some extent the club are still suffering from, but to suggest that turning the abysmal relegation side of 94-95 into a progressive footballing side with cumulative season-on-season improvement wasn't worthwhile in itself is bizarre.

I enjoyed it and I was the right age to appreciate yearned for glory, being Premiership wins vs top top teams and a proper european run. I feel for the fans able to attend in their late teens early twenties who for over a generation have only had scraps. But, football is cyclical. Up the town.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Football under Burley on 21:29 - Jan 12 with 587 viewsDurovigutum

Football under Burley on 19:46 - Jan 12 by oneoffposter

For me that 2nd season Disaster in the prem was Above all down to Mart Poom failing his medical - if he signed we stay up - panic buying Sereni caused big problems as he was on big bucks and liked to tell people by a few accounts not discounting his dodgy keeping

Always remember we were on fire over Xmas 2-0 up a Charlton and Sereni had a stinker and we lost 3-2 and u could see the defenders had no confidence in him

Than Marshall played and I need say no more

And referee U Rennie didn't send off the Charlton defender when we were 2-0 up....
Football under Burley on 22:09 - Jan 12 with 555 viewsOxford_Blue

Football under Burley on 21:11 - Jan 12 by jeera

Hang on. One moment you're talking about the Prem, then referring back to a few years before.

You are covering all options there chap.

I mean that “football under Burley” spans his whole tenure.

It’s fair to say that in parts of that I thought we were at times weak. I remember before playing wolves around 1997 that their manager just said “the thing about Ipswich is you just get into them and they don’t like it”. We were bullied by Sheff Utd at home in the play offs and also by Charlton and Bolton in the first one.

Agree that when Mowbray and co were brought in as regulars we toughened up but we relied on outplaying sides.

I suppose my point is that ultimately for all the good football, it took us four play off attempts to get up then we were relegated within two seasons and then it went to sh*t.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 22:11]
Football under Burley on 22:12 - Jan 12 with 548 viewsdavblue

Football under Burley on 20:32 - Jan 12 by stonojnr

Allardyce wouldnt have set his team up to play the way they did in the playoffs if we didnt have that reputation. yep play us at football and youd lose, but tackle hard,bully us, we lost those games fairly consistently, I dont know if it was Burley or the players we had, but we didnt or couldnt cope with teams who were physical

Yet we still beat Bolton...

We lost some games with physical teams but I would say we won more hence the league finishes but Crewe beat us by playing football in that era also. If we were that easy to bully more teams would have beaten us playing that way and we wouldn’t have got in the play offs.
Login to get fewer ads

Football under Burley on 22:24 - Jan 12 with 536 viewsjeera

Football under Burley on 22:09 - Jan 12 by Oxford_Blue

It’s fair to say that in parts of that I thought we were at times weak. I remember before playing wolves around 1997 that their manager just said “the thing about Ipswich is you just get into them and they don’t like it”. We were bullied by Sheff Utd at home in the play offs and also by Charlton and Bolton in the first one.

Agree that when Mowbray and co were brought in as regulars we toughened up but we relied on outplaying sides.

I suppose my point is that ultimately for all the good football, it took us four play off attempts to get up then we were relegated within two seasons and then it went to sh*t.

As a bit of an aside, but kinda going with your theme for a moment...

Darren Bent. I was watching from the lower North and it was against Palace.

He was only young but his pace, positioning, first touch et al was superb and the boy (because he was, really slim at the time) should have been running rings around them, but their entire defence were giant-like in comparison and their answer to his runs every time was to shove him off the ball. Every time.

Blowed if I can pinpoint the game. Was at home; Burley? too soon for Royle era?
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 22:26]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Football under Burley on 22:27 - Jan 12 with 531 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Football under Burley on 22:31 - Jan 12 with 525 viewsChurchman

Football under Burley on 22:09 - Jan 12 by Oxford_Blue

I think we played, on the whole, good football during the Burley Championship years. We murdered some teams and when playing well were a joy to watch. But there always seemed to be a team or two on a hotter streak at the seasons end. We also had a habit of struggling in key games we should have won. Crewe at home in the rain leaps to mind.

In conclusion, yes we could be bullied, but we did a lot of bullying in the right way ourselves during those play off years. I always looked forward to going to games and every season we won a lot more than we lost. The first Prem season was also a joy and I thought we’d establish ourselves. How sad it went so badly wrong.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 23:35]
Football under Burley on 07:28 - Jan 13 with 462 viewsOxford_Blue

Football under Burley on 22:31 - Jan 12 by Churchman

I think we played, on the whole, good football during the Burley Championship years. We murdered some teams and when playing well were a joy to watch. But there always seemed to be a team or two on a hotter streak at the seasons end. We also had a habit of struggling in key games we should have won. Crewe at home in the rain leaps to mind.

In conclusion, yes we could be bullied, but we did a lot of bullying in the right way ourselves during those play off years. I always looked forward to going to games and every season we won a lot more than we lost. The first Prem season was also a joy and I thought we’d establish ourselves. How sad it went so badly wrong.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 23:35]

They were a good league team but struggled in the one off high pressure games. As you say that Crewe match was one of the worst, all they had to do was beat a weak team at home to secure automatic promotion and they bottled it. Same at home to Sheff Utd in the play off second leg - 1-1 from the first leg and they lost at home. Charlton - lost 1-0 at home having played well all season. Bolton - lost at home again.

Those play offs were awful although wonderful at Wembley.
Football under Burley on 08:52 - Jan 13 with 426 viewshampstead_blue

Football under Burley on 20:18 - Jan 12 by Bramidan

My point is that neither of these players were "stars" the team and the style of play made them, yes might just have been coincidence.
All I am asking, is it to much to ask to emulate that style of play?
We are not Man City but surely short passing, players making themselves available to receive the ball and pass it on and run into space, is not to much to ask is it?
Does that satisfy the call to be "technical"

A team of players from almost the second or third tier of talent.
Burley did get them playing real football. Magic or MH getting ball deep and playing out.

I think it is technical but in the same way as the skill of playing a longer pass, controlling it on the run, and then maintaining pace and shooting.

In some ways, short passing is easier than a pin-point long pass.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024