Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? 11:35 - Jan 30 with 8179 viewsGlasgowBlue

Apparently sacked by ITN for quoting Shakespeare at somebody on twitter who he disagreed with.

Trouble was the quote mentioned an ape and the person he quoted it to was black.

Apparently it's a quote he directs at everyone he believes has said something ignorant and I'm unsure whether he knew the recipient was black.

Don't think it's as black and white (excuse the pun) as the case of Danny Baker. What does TWTD think?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 09:25 - Jan 31 with 954 viewsLeaky

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:25 - Jan 30 by vapour_trail

Yes same here, on the surface it looks mighty unfair, albeit he resigned.

As an aside, I do think anyone chucking the term ‘woke’ about, to be essentially a bit of a *^%#.

can some one explain what woke is I must be getting old
Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 09:26 - Jan 31 with 943 viewsHerbivore

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 09:25 - Jan 31 by Leaky

It's a term for people who are aware of the discrimination that marginalised groups face. In today's world it is largely used as an insult, strangely.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 10:19 - Jan 31 with 928 viewsWeWereZombies

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 12:09 - Jan 30 by chicoazul

But we're all apes.

More precisely we are hominids, we share a common ancestor with apes but can only be termed as apes in the non-scientific usage of language. However, as Shakespeare predated Linnaeus (let alone Darwin), I do not think we can pull Shakespeare up on his use of English in this instance. Here is the offending quote (from 'Measure For Measure'):

But man, proud man,
Dress'd in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he's most assur'd–
His glassy essence–like an angry ape
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
As makes the angels weep; who, with our spleens,
Would all themselves laugh mortal.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 12:41 - Jan 31 with 882 viewsRyorry

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 23:57 - Jan 30 by J2BLUE

I don't know why we need to go through this every time. I know you disagree. I respect that.

I stand by my post.

You're free to keep repeating your opinion. As am I mine.

*Edited for clarity
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 12:46]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 14:45 - Jan 31 with 836 viewsJ2BLUE

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 12:41 - Jan 31 by Ryorry

You're free to keep repeating your opinion. As am I mine.

*Edited for clarity
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 12:46]

Well of course but you said 'I'm sorry but if you think that, you're not sufficiently familiar with Twitter, and/or are following the wrong people; and/or are not using its powerful "block" facility when you need to'.

We've been through this. I'm glad you enjoy using it. I've found it to be a truly awful platform attracting idiots and attention seekers. I don't think it's because i'm not using it correctly. It's just not a platform for me.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 17:11 - Jan 31 with 800 viewsTerra_Farma

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 07:56 - Jan 31 by Herbivore

You've moved on from Vapers, he'll be devastated I'm sure.

The pair of them are punks.

The only thing we will ever have in common is ITFC.
Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 17:47 - Jan 31 with 774 viewsvapour_trail

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 17:11 - Jan 31 by Terra_Farma

The pair of them are punks.

The only thing we will ever have in common is ITFC.

If only we’d gone on that date it could have been oh so different.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 17:50 - Jan 31 with 769 viewsRyorry

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 14:45 - Jan 31 by J2BLUE

Well of course but you said 'I'm sorry but if you think that, you're not sufficiently familiar with Twitter, and/or are following the wrong people; and/or are not using its powerful "block" facility when you need to'.

We've been through this. I'm glad you enjoy using it. I've found it to be a truly awful platform attracting idiots and attention seekers. I don't think it's because i'm not using it correctly. It's just not a platform for me.

Yes, I should probably have been clearer in my second post to you - it wasn't your personal preference I was getting at, but your comment "I have no idea why anyone with a decent career bothers with it" - when you said you'd read my previous posts about that platform, and also that you respected my right to disagree with you. That being the case, you'd have known about the multiple positive benefits I'd cited of being on twitter & why people with decent careers do bother with it (and they probably have other positive reasons that I don't know about too).

I suppose above all I just think it's a shame if people are turned off it by the negative views on it that they hear (which seem to be constantly reiterated on here) when there's so much that's really good about it which they might enjoy if they were to give it a decent trial. I mean people could come on here once after we'd lost a game & never come near the place again!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 18:13 - Jan 31 with 742 viewsTerra_Farma

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 17:47 - Jan 31 by vapour_trail

If only we’d gone on that date it could have been oh so different.

Probably not VT, we will never know

x
Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:20 - Jan 31 with 733 viewsTrequartista

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 09:25 - Jan 31 by Leaky

extreme political correctness, i.e. standard pc (which I would say is a good thing) taken to ridiculous and potentially dangerous lengths - often ignoring the actual truth. Wokerati are entirely oblivious to any other opinion, and impose their opinion on others as fact.

See also 'cancel culture'.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:24 - Jan 31 with 726 viewsTrequartista

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 22:56 - Jan 30 by Herbivore

It's really not very hard to understand.

I had to look it up I am not afraid to admit. I read David Lammy's explanation, as I thought he would be in a very good position to know, and he said that it was because coloured implies white is the default and colour is subservient - which doesn't really explain why the other phrase is ok.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024