Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Genuine and serious question. 22:45 - Feb 8 with 4126 viewshomer_123

Has Evan's ever got a decision right during his time as our owner?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Genuine and serious question. on 12:52 - Feb 9 with 614 viewspointofblue

Genuine and serious question. on 12:45 - Feb 9 by Oxford_Blue

When the fans wanted Magilton to be given the chance, Evans kept him and gave him money to spend. When the fans wanted Magilton out, Evans sacked him. When the fans wanted a big name manager, who was also to be given money to spend, Keane was brought in then sacked when the fans wanted him out. Then when we needed a safe pair of hands, PJ and MM were brought in, then both left when the fans turned against them.

Then the fans wanted a young manager to be given time, so Hurst was brought in. Then when it went wrong the fans wanted him out and Evans sacked him. Then the fans wanted automatic promotion from league one so Evans brought in the last manager to get successive promotions from league one to the premiership.

At each stage, Evans has made decisions that the majority of the fans didn’t challenge. Then when things don’t work out, we blame Evans.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 12:48]

Roy Keane was never the right manager of the club - his approach meant it was obvious he would think he was bigger than the club from the off.

Paul Jewell was never a safe pair of hands - his record at Sheffield Wednesday and Derby was chronic. Though maybe Evans was hoping for a bad club/good club pattern.

As I said before I have complete sympathy for him over Hurst but not Lambert; he was a busted flush before he arrived.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Genuine and serious question. on 12:52 - Feb 9 with 612 viewsSE1blue

When the fans wanted Magilton to be given the chance, Evans kept him and gave him money to spend. When the fans wanted Magilton out, Evans sacked him. When the fans wanted a big name manager, who was also to be given money to spend, Keane was brought in then sacked when the fans wanted him out. Then when we needed a safe pair of hands, PJ and MM were brought in, then both left when the fans turned against them.

Then the fans wanted a young manager to be given time, so Hurst was brought in. Then when it went wrong the fans wanted him out and Evans sacked him. Then the fans wanted automatic promotion from league one so Evans brought in the last manager to get successive promotions from league one to the premiership.

At each stage, Evans has made decisions that the majority of the fans didn’t challenge. Then when things don’t work out, we blame Evans.

The lack of financial support to MM has always been my biggest issue with Evans.

MM clearly knew what he was doing compared to the other clowns that Evans has employed as manager, yet he got little-to-no opportunity to spend like others have done. When we made the playoffs, that was the moment he should have trusted MM to push on the next year.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Genuine and serious question. on 12:53 - Feb 9 with 600 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Thats some serious hyperbole. RK was brought in as fast as Magic could clear his desk, they may well of passed each other in the car park. I don't recall any demands for a 'big name manager'

PJ was canned, and the fans turned when it looked like we were going down without a fight.

Your defence of Evans has become so strong, now every decision he's made is because the fans wanted it? Are you for real?

I distinctly remembering the fans demanding the running down of the contracts of the likes of McAuley and Norris, not to mention the running down of the stadium, I can remember chanting for that. I also recall fondly how we demanded no signings when in a position of strength and top of the league.

Evans has made bad decision after bad decision, and in the grand scheme of things, had done our club a disservice, just admit it
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 12:59]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Genuine and serious question. on 13:41 - Feb 9 with 550 viewsjeera

Genuine and serious question. on 08:18 - Feb 9 by Wacko

Wow you're so prescient

For speaking for myself? I can't speak for you as I don't know what you wanted.

I was vocal enough at the time, as was everyone else.

No need to try to be funny bud - you can add your two-penneth on the subject.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Genuine and serious question. on 14:27 - Feb 9 with 523 viewsRyorry

Genuine and serious question. on 12:53 - Feb 9 by Cheltenham_Blue

Thats some serious hyperbole. RK was brought in as fast as Magic could clear his desk, they may well of passed each other in the car park. I don't recall any demands for a 'big name manager'

PJ was canned, and the fans turned when it looked like we were going down without a fight.

Your defence of Evans has become so strong, now every decision he's made is because the fans wanted it? Are you for real?

I distinctly remembering the fans demanding the running down of the contracts of the likes of McAuley and Norris, not to mention the running down of the stadium, I can remember chanting for that. I also recall fondly how we demanded no signings when in a position of strength and top of the league.

Evans has made bad decision after bad decision, and in the grand scheme of things, had done our club a disservice, just admit it

The more he goes on, the more I think Oxford must be either ME or one of his kids!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Genuine and serious question. on 14:31 - Feb 9 with 509 viewsOxford_Blue

Genuine and serious question. on 12:52 - Feb 9 by pointofblue

Roy Keane was never the right manager of the club - his approach meant it was obvious he would think he was bigger than the club from the off.

Paul Jewell was never a safe pair of hands - his record at Sheffield Wednesday and Derby was chronic. Though maybe Evans was hoping for a bad club/good club pattern.

As I said before I have complete sympathy for him over Hurst but not Lambert; he was a busted flush before he arrived.

Agree about Keane. But where in 2009 were the legions of fans thinking Keane was a bad appointment?
Genuine and serious question. on 14:32 - Feb 9 with 506 viewssparks

Genuine and serious question. on 14:31 - Feb 9 by Oxford_Blue

Agree about Keane. But where in 2009 were the legions of fans thinking Keane was a bad appointment?

There were some of us on here...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Genuine and serious question. on 14:35 - Feb 9 with 499 viewsjeera

Genuine and serious question. on 12:52 - Feb 9 by pointofblue

Agree with all that.

Evens has just never really known what to do.

There's no malice and it's frustrating when people start calling him a **** and screaming like he's the devil. But he has been clueless and has bounced from one bad situation to another.

The club needs a board as it used to. You cannot have one man making all the big decisions, especially when it's someone so obviously out of his depth.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 14:38]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Genuine and serious question. on 14:39 - Feb 9 with 490 viewsreusersfreekicks

Genuine and serious question. on 23:35 - Feb 8 by jeera

His decisions regarding appointments seemed right at the time to most though.

Fans wanted Magilton gone and he was sacked. I didn't like it but there you go. Plenty agreed it was the right thing to do.

He appointed Keane and there was much excitement from several quarters. I couldn't get my head around it like a few others, but there you go.

When Jewell was appointed, he just seemed like a decent enough guy in contrast to Keane that most seemed to accept it even if it was a bit meh.

I was happy with MMc coming next, that felt right. Plenty of others said the same.

As for Hurst, most of us seemed ok with either him or Ross as the next direction at the time. It all sounded right enough.

Most were ok with Lambert next, viewed as someone who had seen it all before.

The decisions all seemed all right to many when they were taken and it could be said were influenced by fan demand to in small way.

So it depends how we weigh that decision making.

Not much of it has turned out right though, no.

His worst decision was one he's never got around to making and that's appointing someone proper to head the club; DoF, Chairman, who cares of the title.

Just get someone in who knows what he's doing.

Spot on. Highlights lot of hypocritical revisionism that hoes on here
Genuine and serious question. on 14:40 - Feb 9 with 486 viewsOxford_Blue

Genuine and serious question. on 12:53 - Feb 9 by Cheltenham_Blue

You’re applying hindsight.

Any one can look back and make your points.

At the time, where were the massed objections to any of those appointments?

I’m not supporting Evans (and even I was, so what, it’s a free forum). I’m saying that the criticism of him as the root of all evil and the problems at our club needs to be measured and fair. He gave at least three managers serious money to spend and they all let him down. He went with a younger manager when the mood was for that person (Hurst). Equally, his failure to support MM in Jan 2015 was an error. But how many other people are there prepared to write off £6m a season?? Without Evans, we would be in administration and probably be relegated again and may go under.

The fans need to take responsibility too. MM was treated appallingly, and driven out. It’s clear that this was the catalyst for relegation.
Genuine and serious question. on 14:44 - Feb 9 with 478 viewsPositivelyPortman

Genuine and serious question. on 23:50 - Feb 8 by Ryorry

"His worst decision was one he's never got around to making and that's appointing someone proper to head the club; DoF, Chairman, who cares of the title.

Just get someone in who knows what he's doing."

Spot on.

.......and get rid of O’Neill - a total waste of money, he’s just a sycophantic Evans mouthpiece.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Genuine and serious question. on 14:45 - Feb 9 with 476 viewsRyorry

Genuine and serious question. on 14:35 - Feb 9 by jeera

Agree with all that.

Evens has just never really known what to do.

There's no malice and it's frustrating when people start calling him a **** and screaming like he's the devil. But he has been clueless and has bounced from one bad situation to another.

The club needs a board as it used to. You cannot have one man making all the big decisions, especially when it's someone so obviously out of his depth.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 14:38]

Again spot on.

Particularly about the Board, well-reminded - I'd actually forgotten we used to have one of those! Obviously would be a moderating influence, particularly when the person at the top had no prev. football experience before arriving, & seems to have learned little since.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024