Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kill your pets 17:48 - Feb 12 with 11955 viewsLord_Lucan

The New Scientist, in a recent editorial entitled "Cute, fluffy and horribly greedy", largely agreed with the book's findings that some pets, due to the food they eat, have a surprisingly high "ecological footprint" (a way of quantifying human demand on the planet's ecosystems using a measure called "global hectares"). "According to the authors . . . it takes 0.84 hectares [2.07 acres] of land to keep a medium-sized dog fed. In contrast, running a 4.6-litre Toyota Land Cruiser, including the energy required to construct the thing and drive it 10,000km a year, requires 0.41 hectares. Dogs are not the only environmental sinners. The eco-footprint of a cat equates to that of a Volkswagen Golf. If that's troubling, there is an even more shocking comparison. In 2004, the average citizen of Vietnam had an ecological footprint of 0.76 hectares. For an Ethiopian, it was just 0.67 hectares. In a world where scarce resources are already hogged by the rich, can we really justify keeping pets that take more than some people?"

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427313-200-cute-fluffy-and-horribly-gre

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Kill your pets on 13:32 - Feb 13 with 2011 viewsHerbivore

Kill your pets on 13:25 - Feb 13 by monytowbray

I was depressed and lonely. Seems reasonable to me. I had two cats but my ex took them when we broke up.

Sure, but it's essentially a similar version of the cognitive dissonance that you point out when telling meat eaters they wouldn't eat their pet dog so they shouldn't eat another animal. You think it's wrong to farm animals for human consumption but you buy pet food that is made from farmed animals. It's hard to square that circle, which is why I wouldn't get another pet that needs to eat meat. None of us is perfect, but it's really hard to justify owning a carnivorous pet as a vegan without some mental gymnastics to get around the hypocrisy. I'm just owning my hypocrisy for now.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Kill your pets on 13:41 - Feb 13 with 1992 viewsGeoffSentence

Kill your pets on 13:32 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

Sure, but it's essentially a similar version of the cognitive dissonance that you point out when telling meat eaters they wouldn't eat their pet dog so they shouldn't eat another animal. You think it's wrong to farm animals for human consumption but you buy pet food that is made from farmed animals. It's hard to square that circle, which is why I wouldn't get another pet that needs to eat meat. None of us is perfect, but it's really hard to justify owning a carnivorous pet as a vegan without some mental gymnastics to get around the hypocrisy. I'm just owning my hypocrisy for now.

You can get vegan dog food, I'd hazard a guess that Callis does so.

But even so, should vegan's have pets?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Kill your pets on 13:44 - Feb 13 with 1979 viewsmonytowbray

Kill your pets on 13:32 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

Owe I own it for sure, was just saying why I got a cat and I'm in a similar boat to you.

I just can't be arsed to be lectured about having a pet by any meat eater who's looking for a stick to beat with rather than, you know, a discussion because they actually care. Which is why I've replied to you.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Kill your pets on 13:50 - Feb 13 with 1959 viewsHerbivore

Kill your pets on 13:41 - Feb 13 by GeoffSentence

Dogs are omnivores so can (potentially) survive on a vegan diet. Cats are obligate carnivores and although there have been attempts to make vegan food that they can have I don't know that it's very good for them.

Kill your pets on 13:53 - Feb 13 with 1953 viewsmonytowbray

Kill your pets on 13:50 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

Dogs are omnivores so can (potentially) survive on a vegan diet. Cats are obligate carnivores and although there have been attempts to make vegan food that they can have I don't know that it's very good for them.

If I saw the evidence it was fine for a cat to eat vegan I'd switch immediately but I'm not convinced yet.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Kill your pets on 14:04 - Feb 13 with 1938 viewsHerbivore

Kill your pets on 13:53 - Feb 13 by monytowbray

If I saw the evidence it was fine for a cat to eat vegan I'd switch immediately but I'm not convinced yet.

I've read some worrying stuff otherwise I'd do the same.

Kill your pets on 14:15 - Feb 13 with 1930 viewsLord_Lucan

Kill your pets on 13:50 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

Historically dogs are omnivores but if that is sill the case why did my mates dog eat her guinea pig last week?

He whoofed it down in seconds.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Kill your pets on 14:16 - Feb 13 with 1929 viewsHerbivore

Kill your pets on 14:15 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

Historically dogs are omnivores but if that is sill the case why did my mates dog eat her guinea pig last week?

They will literally eat anything, hence they are omnivores.

Login to get fewer ads

Kill your pets on 14:18 - Feb 13 with 1927 viewsLord_Lucan

Kill your pets on 14:16 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

Yes but he didn't make a beeline for the hay.

Kill your pets on 14:20 - Feb 13 with 1915 viewsHerbivore

Kill your pets on 14:18 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

Yes but he didn't make a beeline for the hay.

He'd had a wheatgrass juice shot for breakfast I expect.

Kill your pets on 14:34 - Feb 13 with 1898 viewsflimflam

Kill your pets on 18:21 - Feb 12 by Pecker

I haven't looked it up, but I will take a wild guess that they are living off the state.

You would be wrong.

Remember reading about them and they claim child benefit which everyone I know claims but live on husbands 400 quid a week bakers job.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Kill your pets on 15:17 - Feb 13 with 1869 viewsGeoffSentence

Kill your pets on 14:15 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

A friend of mine spent over £200 on getting her Guinea Pig's teeth fixed twice. It died two weeks later.

What a waste of hard earned dosh though, Guinea Pig's don't live long and cost peanuts, she would have been better off feeding it to the dog and getting a new one.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 15:20]

Kill your pets on 15:29 - Feb 13 with 1855 viewsWeWereZombies

Kill your pets on 14:16 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

'They will literally eat anything':

https://bust.com/movies/10892-the-movie-star-eaten-by-her-dog-or-was-she.html

btw, I think I might have found the website to win away TWTD's affection for mumsnet and the Whigfield site...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Kill your pets on 15:41 - Feb 13 with 1844 viewsSwansea_Blue

Kill your pets on 13:31 - Feb 13 by SuperKieranMcKenna

#5 - not really acceptable to say that....imagine the meltdown on here if one was to replace with muslims for example....

#justSaying

Apart from those two things being incomparable, I wasn't actually being serious

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Kill your pets on 15:42 - Feb 13 with 1841 viewsfooters

Kill your pets on 15:41 - Feb 13 by Swansea_Blue

The carrot-top outed himself easy enough tho 'eh.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Kill your pets on 15:45 - Feb 13 with 1837 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Kill your pets on 15:41 - Feb 13 by Swansea_Blue

why are they incomparable?
Kill your pets on 15:52 - Feb 13 with 1828 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Kill your pets on 15:42 - Feb 13 by footers

Hilarious.
Kill your pets on 15:54 - Feb 13 with 1824 viewsWeWereZombies

Kill your pets on 15:42 - Feb 13 by footers

Can't you just leave Ed alone, at least until he has bought out Marcus...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Kill your pets on 15:59 - Feb 13 with 1812 viewsfooters

Kill your pets on 15:54 - Feb 13 by WeWereZombies

Can't you just leave Ed alone, at least until he has bought out Marcus...

'fraid not. I dislike Ed's music almost as much as I hate the Home Counties. Which is a lot.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Kill your pets on 16:07 - Feb 13 with 1800 viewsPecker

Kill your pets on 13:41 - Feb 13 by GeoffSentence

Having a pet is preserving the life of that animal, so yes, vegans should have pets.
Kill your pets on 16:10 - Feb 13 with 1794 viewsGeoffSentence

Kill your pets on 16:07 - Feb 13 by Pecker

Having a pet is preserving the life of that animal, so yes, vegans should have pets.

That's the same argument as 'those cows wouldn't be alive if they weren't going to be eaten', more or less. I'm not convinced that pets are compatible with veganism, even if they feed them vegan food.

But hey-ho, pets are great (well dogs anyway), so if they want to stretch the boundaries a bit, that's fine by me.

Kill your pets on 16:13 - Feb 13 with 1789 viewsPecker

Kill your pets on 16:10 - Feb 13 by GeoffSentence

That's the same argument as 'those cows wouldn't be alive if they weren't going to be eaten', more or less. I'm not convinced that pets are compatible with veganism, even if they feed them vegan food.

But hey-ho, pets are great (well dogs anyway), so if they want to stretch the boundaries a bit, that's fine by me.

Cows are there to be milked and then eaten. Pets are there to be loved and die naturally (hopefully). Hardly the same at all.
Kill your pets on 17:39 - Feb 13 with 1761 viewsjeera

Kill your pets on 15:17 - Feb 13 by GeoffSentence

A friend of mine spent over £200 on getting her Guinea Pig's teeth fixed twice. It died two weeks later.

What a waste of hard earned dosh though, Guinea Pig's don't live long and cost peanuts, she would have been better off feeding it to the dog and getting a new one.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 15:20]

Shocking attitude GS.

I kept guinea pigs as a child and they can be fantastic creatures.

Mind you, as a big dog fan I struggle a bit with the dog wolfing a guinea pig story.

Hmm. It's the owner's fault.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024