Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kill your pets 17:48 - Feb 12 with 11968 viewsLord_Lucan

The New Scientist, in a recent editorial entitled "Cute, fluffy and horribly greedy", largely agreed with the book's findings that some pets, due to the food they eat, have a surprisingly high "ecological footprint" (a way of quantifying human demand on the planet's ecosystems using a measure called "global hectares"). "According to the authors . . . it takes 0.84 hectares [2.07 acres] of land to keep a medium-sized dog fed. In contrast, running a 4.6-litre Toyota Land Cruiser, including the energy required to construct the thing and drive it 10,000km a year, requires 0.41 hectares. Dogs are not the only environmental sinners. The eco-footprint of a cat equates to that of a Volkswagen Golf. If that's troubling, there is an even more shocking comparison. In 2004, the average citizen of Vietnam had an ecological footprint of 0.76 hectares. For an Ethiopian, it was just 0.67 hectares. In a world where scarce resources are already hogged by the rich, can we really justify keeping pets that take more than some people?"

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427313-200-cute-fluffy-and-horribly-gre

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Kill your pets on 21:46 - Feb 12 with 2041 viewsjeera

Kill your pets on 21:07 - Feb 12 by Swansea_Blue

Superb thread. I love it when long held beliefs or behaviours are challenged by some data. I went to a presentation recently around transport where the environmental footprints were discussed. Air travel comes out relatively well, not by the emissions per km necessarily, but by total emissions compared to other forms of transport (because we don’t use it as much). But you get shot these days for mentioning air travel to XR types.

Pressure groups have their place, but data and science rules.

Ps. I have no trouble killing pets. I struggle to keep plants alive.

Having a dog (or 2) enhances lives though.

If we're going to be sensible about this we need to look at where numbers are greater and more concentrated; so 'sports' where unnecessarily high numbers are required to be bred.

So hounds for fox hunting.
Greyhound racing.
Maybe some 'other' forms of entertainment by animals.

That would counter quite a lot of pets who serve a far greater purpose.*

*Or is that included in the article I've been too lazy to look at yet.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Kill your pets on 01:37 - Feb 13 with 1974 viewsWeWereZombies

This is from a letter to The Guardian on 8th October last:

'As reported in Nature Communications, free-ranging domestic cats are estimated to kill 1.3bn - 4bn birds and 6.3bn - 22.3bn mammals annually.

Another report has found that "Australian land mammal fauna has suffered an extraordinary rate of extinction...over the last 200 years...most likely due primarily to predation by introduced species, particularly the feral cat".'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Kill your pets on 08:42 - Feb 13 with 1903 viewsOldsmoker

Kill your pets on 01:37 - Feb 13 by WeWereZombies

This is from a letter to The Guardian on 8th October last:

'As reported in Nature Communications, free-ranging domestic cats are estimated to kill 1.3bn - 4bn birds and 6.3bn - 22.3bn mammals annually.

Another report has found that "Australian land mammal fauna has suffered an extraordinary rate of extinction...over the last 200 years...most likely due primarily to predation by introduced species, particularly the feral cat".'

Page 3 and the first post regarding the OP subject.
Is that a record?

However, anyone who's thinking of killing my fluffykins can do one.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Kill your pets on 08:44 - Feb 13 with 1899 viewsGeoffSentence

We will be killing our dog soon. Getting a bit fed up with him.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Kill your pets on 08:54 - Feb 13 with 1885 viewsElephantintheRoom

Did they factor in the huge swathes of eco-destroying mice, birds, bunnies and ratty boys slaughtered by the nation's moggies? They may actually be eco-friendly on balance.

And by constantly poohing in the next-door neighbour's seedbeds they are helping us all grow life-giving veg.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Kill your pets on 08:58 - Feb 13 with 1883 viewsDurovigutum

Kill your pets on 18:15 - Feb 12 by jeera

It's not enforceable is it.

But no, I don't know why there can't be encouragement for families to stop at one or two.

The world population has doubled, doubled in 50 years. That's insane.

It's not the kids that are the problem, number of children has stayed fairly level for twenty plus years, the problem is people living into their 80s rather than dying at 55.
Kill your pets on 09:00 - Feb 13 with 1884 viewsmonytowbray

My cat was a rescue and saved my life last year. Having something to look after ensured I did the bare minimum of life required to keep her fed and well kept.

Pets are a weird one for me. I’ve had someone pull the U CANT BE VEGAN IF U HAVE A PET DAT EATS MEAT on me here before. I’m all ears to hear that point from another vegan, but when it comes from a meat eater it feels more like a desperate attempt to discredit than any real stance.

I wonder what my carbon footprint as a vegan with a pet cat is? I’d assume still considerably lower than your average western diet. CBA to do the research as at work so if anyone has a spare two seconds feel free to work it out for me.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Kill your pets on 09:05 - Feb 13 with 1869 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Kill your pets on 18:17 - Feb 12 by J2BLUE

Hmm. I do have a policy to go alongside my flagship 'ban pensioners from supermarkets evenings and weekends' policy but but sure how well it would go down on here.

My dad is 95 and has to do most of his shopping at weekends.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Login to get fewer ads

Kill your pets on 09:08 - Feb 13 with 1866 viewsSwansea_Blue

Kill your pets on 18:06 - Feb 12 by Pecker

Pets are lovely though, whereas a lot of humans are horrible. Kill the humans first.

^this. Except for pet spiders and snakes and other crawly things.

We need a few criteria to prioritise though. I'd startt with the the worse of the worse, the absolute scum of society lacking any morality, decency and human compassion. The real reprobates, wrong-uns and irresversibly corrupted.

So a cull could go something like this:

1. Brexiteers
2. Serial killers
3. Terrorists
4. Piers Morgan
5. Gingers
6. Serial offenders, serious crimes - serious assault, nonces, rapists, etc.
7. People who use the word 'woke' thinking they're being edgy
8. People who park in disabled and family parking spots who aren't entitled to
9. Anyone who owns or works for a private parking firm
10. People who like mashed potato

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Kill your pets on 09:16 - Feb 13 with 1849 viewsWeWereZombies

Kill your pets on 09:08 - Feb 13 by Swansea_Blue

We need a few criteria to prioritise though. I'd startt with the the worse of the worse, the absolute scum of society lacking any morality, decency and human compassion. The real reprobates, wrong-uns and irresversibly corrupted.

1. Brexiteers
2. Serial killers
3. Terrorists
4. Piers Morgan
5. Gingers

I was with you on all of those until I got to 10.

Kill your pets on 09:26 - Feb 13 with 1836 viewsGeoffSentence

1. Brexiteers
2. Serial killers
3. Terrorists
4. Piers Morgan
5. Gingers

That's a pretty good start when we get to the 'involuntary phase', but surely it would be better to start with a voluntary phase first, their must be billions of people who believe in an after life and would jump at the chance of reaching it in double quick time.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Kill your pets on 09:28 - Feb 13 with 1833 viewsWeWereZombies

Kill your pets on 08:54 - Feb 13 by ElephantintheRoom

Did they factor in the huge swathes of eco-destroying mice, birds, bunnies and ratty boys slaughtered by the nation's moggies? They may actually be eco-friendly on balance.

And by constantly poohing in the next-door neighbour's seedbeds they are helping us all grow life-giving veg.

I'm guessing that biological diversity might be the elephant in your room...

Kill your pets on 11:10 - Feb 13 with 1794 viewsOldsmoker

Kill your pets on 09:26 - Feb 13 by GeoffSentence

That's a pretty good start when we get to the 'involuntary phase', but surely it would be better to start with a voluntary phase first, their must be billions of people who believe in an after life and would jump at the chance of reaching it in double quick time.

A 'voluntary phase' could begin AFTER Piers Morgan has been culled.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Kill your pets on 11:37 - Feb 13 with 1774 viewssolemio

Kill your pets on 18:15 - Feb 12 by factual_blue

Jonathan Swift was Dean of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin, hence his common sobriquet, "Dean Swift".

Indeed. John Donne was Dean of St Paul's but is never known as Dean Donne. Just as well perhaps.
Kill your pets on 11:53 - Feb 13 with 1760 viewsLDNBlue

Kill your pets on 09:00 - Feb 13 by monytowbray

My cat was a rescue and saved my life last year. Having something to look after ensured I did the bare minimum of life required to keep her fed and well kept.

Pets are a weird one for me. I’ve had someone pull the U CANT BE VEGAN IF U HAVE A PET DAT EATS MEAT on me here before. I’m all ears to hear that point from another vegan, but when it comes from a meat eater it feels more like a desperate attempt to discredit than any real stance.

I wonder what my carbon footprint as a vegan with a pet cat is? I’d assume still considerably lower than your average western diet. CBA to do the research as at work so if anyone has a spare two seconds feel free to work it out for me.

Surely you can't be vegan if you own a pet? You would just be someone that follows a vegan diet.
Kill your pets on 11:56 - Feb 13 with 1751 viewsWeWereZombies

Kill your pets on 11:37 - Feb 13 by solemio

Indeed. John Donne was Dean of St Paul's but is never known as Dean Donne. Just as well perhaps.

Although it could give a time travelling Terry Thomas who had experienced a change of sexual orientation the chance to say 'Ding dong, Dean Donne'...

Kill your pets on 12:56 - Feb 13 with 1729 viewsjeera

Kill your pets on 08:58 - Feb 13 by Durovigutum

It's not the kids that are the problem, number of children has stayed fairly level for twenty plus years, the problem is people living into their 80s rather than dying at 55.

Well, yeah, but those kids don't stay kids.

They also grow up and multiply and live into their 80s too.

Over- breeding is of course the biggest problem.

Others are pointing out that it's the resources being used. Well yes, exactly.

Also by more people brought about by over-breeding.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Kill your pets on 13:13 - Feb 13 with 1721 viewsmonytowbray

Kill your pets on 11:53 - Feb 13 by LDNBlue

Surely you can't be vegan if you own a pet? You would just be someone that follows a vegan diet.

Are you a vegan yourself?

TWTD never forgets…

Kill your pets on 13:21 - Feb 13 with 1710 viewsHerbivore

Kill your pets on 09:00 - Feb 13 by monytowbray

I've also got a rescue cat, I got him several years ago before I went vegan. I wouldn't get another pet now that eats meat as it's hypocritical. Meat is being farmed for cats to eat and that goes against my values as a vegan. To be honest if I'd given it more thought as a vegetarian I'd have probably made a different decision.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Kill your pets on 13:23 - Feb 13 with 1702 viewsLord_Lucan

Kill your pets on 13:21 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

I've also got a rescue cat, I got him several years ago before I went vegan. I wouldn't get another pet now that eats meat as it's hypocritical. Meat is being farmed for cats to eat and that goes against my values as a vegan. To be honest if I'd given it more thought as a vegetarian I'd have probably made a different decision.

Surely you should get a Caterpillar

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Kill your pets on 13:24 - Feb 13 with 1699 viewsHerbivore

Kill your pets on 13:23 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

Surely you should get a Caterpillar

It would eventually fly away.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Kill your pets on 13:25 - Feb 13 with 1699 viewsmonytowbray

I was depressed and lonely. Seems reasonable to me. I had two cats but my ex took them when we broke up.

TWTD never forgets…

Kill your pets on 13:25 - Feb 13 with 1697 viewsRadlett_blue

Once we're all starving to death after Brexit has been completed, we will be eating our pets anyway.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Kill your pets on 13:26 - Feb 13 with 1691 viewsGaryCooper

1. Brexiteers
2. Serial killers
3. Terrorists
4. Piers Morgan
5. Gingers

What is a Ginger?
Kill your pets on 13:31 - Feb 13 with 1684 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

1. Brexiteers
2. Serial killers
3. Terrorists
4. Piers Morgan
5. Gingers

#5 - not really acceptable to say that....imagine the meltdown on here if one was to replace with muslims for example....

#justSaying
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024