Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kill your pets 17:48 - Feb 12 with 11933 viewsLord_Lucan

The New Scientist, in a recent editorial entitled "Cute, fluffy and horribly greedy", largely agreed with the book's findings that some pets, due to the food they eat, have a surprisingly high "ecological footprint" (a way of quantifying human demand on the planet's ecosystems using a measure called "global hectares"). "According to the authors . . . it takes 0.84 hectares [2.07 acres] of land to keep a medium-sized dog fed. In contrast, running a 4.6-litre Toyota Land Cruiser, including the energy required to construct the thing and drive it 10,000km a year, requires 0.41 hectares. Dogs are not the only environmental sinners. The eco-footprint of a cat equates to that of a Volkswagen Golf. If that's troubling, there is an even more shocking comparison. In 2004, the average citizen of Vietnam had an ecological footprint of 0.76 hectares. For an Ethiopian, it was just 0.67 hectares. In a world where scarce resources are already hogged by the rich, can we really justify keeping pets that take more than some people?"

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427313-200-cute-fluffy-and-horribly-gre

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Kill your pets on 18:27 - Feb 12 with 3158 viewsPecker

Kill your pets on 18:25 - Feb 12 by jeera

Well that wasn't my point really.

I'm more concerned that there's a lot of people out there trying their best to do the right thing for the greater good (for the greater good) and it's being so readily undone by others who think their irresponsibility is something to be celebrated.

Just looked it up. He runs a pie company. I take it all back. Good on him.
Kill your pets on 18:28 - Feb 12 with 3154 viewsjeera

Kill your pets on 18:27 - Feb 12 by Pecker

Well yes, but unless he's breeding children specifically to put them into pies, the point stands.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Kill your pets on 18:32 - Feb 12 with 3137 viewsfactual_blue

Kill your pets on 18:26 - Feb 12 by jeera

I actually don't have as much a problem with this idea as I probably should.

And get rid of those ridiculous parent and child parking spaces at the supermarkets.

Or, failing that, put them as far away from the entrance as possible.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Kill your pets on 18:35 - Feb 12 with 3130 viewslowhouseblue

if my dog drives an electric car does that make it ok?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Kill your pets on 18:36 - Feb 12 with 3128 viewsfactual_blue

Kill your pets on 18:28 - Feb 12 by jeera

Well yes, but unless he's breeding children specifically to put them into pies, the point stands.

*Prepares pitch for Dragons' Den...*

Kill your pets on 18:37 - Feb 12 with 3117 viewsJ2BLUE

Kill your pets on 18:22 - Feb 12 by factual_blue

While you're at it, can you ban mothers with children from, well anywhere, during the school holidays?

They should all be in big sheds unless at school.

I get the feeling I won't be getting your vote?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Kill your pets on 18:38 - Feb 12 with 3116 viewsPecker

Kill your pets on 18:28 - Feb 12 by jeera

What would you cap it at, or are you just suggesting that people should act more responsibly?
Kill your pets on 18:42 - Feb 12 with 3098 viewsjeera

Kill your pets on 18:38 - Feb 12 by Pecker

What would you cap it at, or are you just suggesting that people should act more responsibly?

I'm not suggesting people are 'capped'!

Yes, we should be encouraged to be more responsible.

Which part of there's too many of us are people not understanding?

Look up World population and this is the first thing that comes up. We really need to take the information on board and yet:

"In demographics, the world population is the total number of humans currently living, and was estimated to have reached 7.7 billion people as of April 2019. It took over 200,000 years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion, and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion."

Login to get fewer ads

Kill your pets on 18:44 - Feb 12 with 3093 viewsHARRY10

Kill your pets on 18:32 - Feb 12 by factual_blue

And get rid of those ridiculous parent and child parking spaces at the supermarkets.

Or, failing that, put them as far away from the entrance as possible.

and how come disabled folk don't get fined when they park in our spaces ?

I would also suggest that if the govenment was serious about road traffic accidents they would realise that only a third of these accidents are caused by drunk drivers - so ban sober folk from the road and then accidents would be reduced by a massive two thirds
Kill your pets on 18:46 - Feb 12 with 3084 viewsfooters

Kill your pets on 18:44 - Feb 12 by HARRY10

and how come disabled folk don't get fined when they park in our spaces ?

I would also suggest that if the govenment was serious about road traffic accidents they would realise that only a third of these accidents are caused by drunk drivers - so ban sober folk from the road and then accidents would be reduced by a massive two thirds

Women are like parking spaces. All the best ones are taken, and the rest are disabled or have kids :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Kill your pets on 18:49 - Feb 12 with 3078 viewsPecker

Kill your pets on 18:42 - Feb 12 by jeera

Look up World population and this is the first thing that comes up. We really need to take the information on board and yet:

"In demographics, the world population is the total number of humans currently living, and was estimated to have reached 7.7 billion people as of April 2019. It took over 200,000 years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion, and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion."

How can you stop people from having as big a family as they wish? I am afraid it is the same as most arguments, there are those that will and those that won't. Why the hell anybody would want that many kids makes no sense to most of us, but obviously it does to them. Don't know how you would stop it.
Kill your pets on 18:55 - Feb 12 with 3054 viewsjeera

Kill your pets on 18:49 - Feb 12 by Pecker

How can you stop people from having as big a family as they wish? I am afraid it is the same as most arguments, there are those that will and those that won't. Why the hell anybody would want that many kids makes no sense to most of us, but obviously it does to them. Don't know how you would stop it.

You can't, but you can encourage by educating.

Kill your pets on 19:19 - Feb 12 with 3031 viewsPecker

Kill your pets on 18:55 - Feb 12 by jeera

You can't, but you can encourage by educating.

They know what they are doing, but don't care. Same as the deforestation. They know what they are doing, but don't care. Nothing to do with education. They know and don't care.
Kill your pets on 19:24 - Feb 12 with 3017 viewsStuartBrett8

Kill your pets on 18:27 - Feb 12 by Pecker

I bet the wife's fanny looks like a small skip though....

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Kill your pets on 19:39 - Feb 12 with 2985 viewsHARRY10

Kill your pets on 18:42 - Feb 12 by jeera

The real concernn is how much of the earth's resources each consumes.

Compare to what a family of four (middle income) in the US consumes compared to a poor family of 10 in India

I'm sure at some point financial incentives will be offered for having (say) only two children. This might favour the rich, but they tend not to have lots of children - unless you are a PM who no one knows how many he has got......probably not even him.
Kill your pets on 19:40 - Feb 12 with 2982 viewshampstead_blue

Kill your pets on 17:51 - Feb 12 by footers

Also, don't have kids.

really bad for the borders

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Kill your pets on 19:54 - Feb 12 with 2970 viewsDubtractor

Thing is with articles like this, is whilst it is obviously correct, you could write the same article about almost everything we do and own in the developed world.

Having kids
driving cars
driving bigger cars than we need
electronic devices
eating meat
not eating meat
using petrol lawnmowers
Having a woodburner at home
etc etc etc

Moderation on all of these things would go a long way. We all want to have all of everything.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Kill your pets on 20:11 - Feb 12 with 2943 viewsHARRY10

Kill your pets on 19:54 - Feb 12 by Dubtractor

Thing is with articles like this, is whilst it is obviously correct, you could write the same article about almost everything we do and own in the developed world.

Having kids
driving cars
electronic devices
eating meat
not eating meat
using petrol lawnmowers
etc etc etc

Moderation on all of these things would go a long way. We all want to have all of everything.

Perhaps you could look at moderation in the number of things you suggest we should be .......................... err, moderate in
Kill your pets on 20:12 - Feb 12 with 2940 viewsDubtractor

Kill your pets on 20:11 - Feb 12 by HARRY10

Perhaps you could look at moderation in the number of things you suggest we should be .......................... err, moderate in

Ok, just reduce kids and car size then.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 20:12]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Kill your pets on 20:32 - Feb 12 with 2911 viewsLord_Lucan

Kill your pets on 19:54 - Feb 12 by Dubtractor

Having kids
driving cars
electronic devices
eating meat
not eating meat
using petrol lawnmowers
etc etc etc

Exactly.

I'm highlighting the problems with targeted reporting.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Kill your pets on 20:47 - Feb 12 with 2892 viewsfactual_blue

Kill your pets on 18:46 - Feb 12 by footers

Women are like parking spaces. All the best ones are taken, and the rest are disabled or have kids :)

Are some of them a bit of a tight fit for a larger vehicle?

Kill your pets on 20:51 - Feb 12 with 2885 viewsHARRY10

Kill your pets on 20:47 - Feb 12 by factual_blue

Are some of them a bit of a tight fit for a larger vehicle?

says the Smart car driver
Kill your pets on 20:53 - Feb 12 with 2882 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Nonsense.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Kill your pets on 21:07 - Feb 12 with 2864 viewsSwansea_Blue

Superb thread. I love it when long held beliefs or behaviours are challenged by some data. I went to a presentation recently around transport where the environmental footprints were discussed. Air travel comes out relatively well, not by the emissions per km necessarily, but by total emissions compared to other forms of transport (because we don’t use it as much). But you get shot these days for mentioning air travel to XR types.

Pressure groups have their place, but data and science rules.

Ps. I have no trouble killing pets. I struggle to keep plants alive.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Kill your pets on 21:14 - Feb 12 with 2856 viewsfooters

Kill your pets on 20:53 - Feb 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Nonsense.

Elaborate.

Some numbers would be useful.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024